The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Defender Could Go Out On Loan

8:23 am, Thursday, August 28th, 2014 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 13 Comments

It’s been difficult to fix up Newcastle defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa with a  club in the summer, mainly because of the big wages he has been getting on Tyneside over the last 18 months or so.

Mapou Yanga Mbiwa +Sheffield+Wednesday+v+Newcastle+buKuX89dsGsl

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in action in pre-season

There have been a few French club interested in taking the center-back this season either on loan or permanently,  but the wages have continued to be the stumbling block.

But some decent news last night that Marseilles have made a new approach for Mapou, and they want to take the 25 year-old on loan for the season, with a view to signing him permanently at the end of the season.

Newcastle are unlikely to get their money back on the former Montpellier captain, and we paid around £6.7M for him, but he has not fared particularly well in the Premier League,  and going back to France is probably the best career move for the defender.

A loan move would at least lift the burden of his wages at the Tyneside club, and after signing nine new players this summer, it’s obvious that Newcastle have to unload some players before next Tuesday, to reduce the wage bill.

While at Newcastle, Mapou played 46 times for the club with no goals, and he can play anywhere across the back four, so he’s versatile enough and could get games at Marseilles next season.

He’s also a smashing lad and a first class professional.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

Tags: Contracts · Loan Moves · Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

13 responses so far ↓

• 1 Markaccus // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Right, if people want to blame pardew for this one…. i wont complain!! This lad should have been developed. He was raw when he arrived, but showed good form in one spell and had it ripped off him for colo. I do not understand Pardews thinking on this one.

• 2 optimistic prime // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Markaccus

I agree on M’biwa

Ye came on last night had a go at you and said I’d insulted him, all I said was his posts where a bit strange . Knarked me a bit, I wouldn’t have mind if I had actually said anything and that knarked me more than when he abused me the other day. He’s obviously short of lamp oil ;)

• 3 Average_Contents // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Anyone else having problems with the mobile site as mine keeps coming up on the desktop site and it’s a right pain in the arse on the phone! Doing my swede in.

Getting dropped so the capitan can literally stroll back in then getting shunted to right back was and always will be a disgrace tbh but sums up parsnips stint here

• 4 optimistic prime // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Ac

Yes mate mines been doing it since last night!

Bang on about capt calamity strolling back in the side.

• 5 Markaccus // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Average

Yes i can only get the desktop site. No matter what settings i use. It might be under maintenance or something.

• 6 Markaccus // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:43 AM

OP/AC

Yanga was supposed to be the future replacement for colo, so this whole affair is strange to say the least! Yes, Yanga makes mistakes, but compared to Steven Taylor hes fcuking flawless!

• 7 optimistic prime // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Markaccus

Saylor makes Bramble look world class!

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:46 AM

So pardew wants cisse to save his backside then.

What a muppet.

• 9 lesh // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Average……

Yup, my Nokia’s defaulting to the desktop site too. Not a problem but the posts are in chronological order, top down rather than bottom up!

On goofy note, the utterences about Cisse weren’t exactly a surprise – I’d fully expected the incoming door to have been closed weeks ago.

But, they must think we enjoy the annual transfer pantomime and charades!

And they’re right, we just love knowing that we’re gonna spend nowt!

• 10 gazzaforever // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Markaccus comtact me in my facebook account I d like to meet you. My fb :gillis veber

• 11 lesh // Aug 28, 2014 at 8:49 AM

* goofy = another

Micky Ashley phone!

• 12 sks_toon // Aug 28, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Loan him out this year only, then buy a CB. Bring back MYM next year when Taylors contract is finished. Then we should be alright in defense especially with the CB we got from Forest is going to come next year as well.

• 13 dannitoon // Aug 28, 2014 at 10:18 PM

He’s agreed to sign for Marseille

previous post: Pardew Hints At No More Striker Signings