It’s One Game – But Newcastle Nowhere Near Good Enough

We keep going on about it – Newcastle conceded 59 goals in the league last season and in the season before that when we were 16th we conceded a massive 68 goals – the highest ever by a Newcastle side in the Premier League – and we just haven’t made it our business this summer to strengthen the defense.

Newcastle United v Crystal Palace - Premier League

Mike Williamson – scores first ever goal for Newcastle to put us ahead

The defense this afternoon looked little better than pathetic,  and we hardly deserved to win the game – but after Rolando Aarons had come on after 67 minutes and raised the spirits of Newcastle fans with a great performance – and scored one and made the go-ahead goal after 88 minutes – we still couldn’t hold on to a win we didn’t deserve.

That just about sums up how bad the defense looked today and for large portions of this game it looked like we would lose against a very ordinary Crystal Palace side.

The bottom line here is that this is not good enough for Newcastle, and Alan Pardew will very quickly have to do a lot better with just 2 points from our first three league games.

After the game this is what the manager had to say:

“We’ve conceded a goal after 30 seconds and we’ve conceded a goal straight after half-time, which is disappointing, but we’ve come back each time.”

“We then take the lead and get ourselves in a position to win.¨   I thought we got a little bit carried away when we took the lead and at this level you can’t do that, you’ve got to make sure you see the victory out and we should have been better set before we conceded the free-kick for the third goal.”

“When a team comes here and waste time from the moment the game kicks off, on goal-kicks, and time and time again they took ages on everything – and then they’re 3-2 down and he gives them seven minutes, I don’t know it just didn’t fit right with me.”

“In the spirit of the game I thought that was wrong but we should have won and we didn’t.”

I think that’s all three games in the league that Alan Pardew thinks we should have won – who’s he kidding?

Rather than blame the referee for playing that 7 minutes of added time, maybe the manager needs to work on the Newcastle defense, because if we get no new players through the door before next Tuesday, this could become another long and arduous season for Newcastle fans.

gayle scoring after 30 seocnds

This happened after 30 seconds – Gayle scored

And Pardew needs to start Rolando Aarons in the next game – he’s much more dangerous than Gouffran and should have started this game – and we may have even won it, if that had happened.

Did I say this wasn’t good enough – and by a long long way?

We hate to think what would have happened if we had been playing a good team this afternoon – with that performance.

And it looks like Loic Remy will be joining Chelsea.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• OneAlanShearer

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Cisse best get back to form and fitness super quick as we are toothless without an instinctive striker.

• Macas

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:54 PM

For me another quality wide player is vital. Gouffran was totally ineffective, and Cabella isn’t a winger. Aarons should have started, and Anita also put some decent crosses in when he came on. It’s not difficult, if you don’t put balls in the box then you won’t score.

• BuckLuck

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Fcuk off Pardew! Anti football, lies and cowardly tv interviews. You are one cool guy, I’ll give you that. But for me and the majority of fans you are THE devil. I dont care how you return to hell, just do it.
    By the way. I think Ben Arfa will outlast you! Yeah 🙂

• Laurent Robert 32

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Alan, your fearful and clueless football is nowhere near the spirit of the game.

• ochytoon

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Pardew makes no distinction between deserving to win and winning. He thinks that winning equates to planning well. Fact of the matter is that we play poorly but somehow scrape wins. He’s finally being shown up.

• Charlietoon

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:06 PM

So we were crap just after Pards has his first talk and his half time talk…… When the players started playing they were decent but Pards is Parding them very quickly.

• John Tudor

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:07 PM

now i could not give a shit what the fat cnut does if he drops us it is he who will loose out money wise, sit up you fat cnut and take note

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I am seriously worried for this season as nothing has been learnt from our recent flirts with relegation.

something has to give sooner or later or we will end up in serious trouble again

• Pottz

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Southampton, Hull, Stoke, Swansea, Leicester, Spurs, Liverpool.

These are the rest of the fixtures which will take us up to November and the team should be gelled by then according to Alan Pardew.

Honestly at this rate I can’t see where a win is coming from.

Alan Pardew is going to relegate us this season.

I can’t believe he has ha 35 mill to spend and hasn’t bought a striker or a Pair of new CB’s. Lascelles will still be plying his trade in the Championship with us next season.

I wonder if we can keep hold of Aaron’s before the transfer Window closes?

• stan anderson

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM

We need to get shot of this man .The problem is we still bought the season tickets.We have laid our money down and put our faith in Mike to deliver the goods,its not going to happen till you all realise he has no ambition to win anything ffs please realise what he is about please.

• remember69

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Repost, but as many others feel it’s OK to post the same repetitive negative themes I may as well join the party….

I really don’t understand it. I can understand fans being frustrated by results, but really the negativity on this site is WAY out of control.

Before being pilloried as a Pardew lover that is not so. But when I hear his interview where he said the crowd willing the team forward after the 3rd goal may have influenced players being turned into ‘blame’ it just leads me to believe that there are many out there are twisting words to fitbtheir own agenda.
    Then of course the very SAME fans are upset by the fact that Place scored late in the game, blaming the defense – you can’ that’ve it both ways……(mind the same fans would have criticize AP had the team defended…..).
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but please, can we base these on facts and common sense?

I am with all who want the team to play attractive attacking football, and to win games with flair and passion, but if we want to be ‘true’ fans surely we need to support the team.

I know this is going to run against the grain of those that only visit the blog to p1ss and moan, but I feel someone has to provide a point of reason.
    So aforementioned P&Moaners, have at it – feel free to use my opinion as yet another focus of your abuse – get it out of your system and let’s get back to what we are known for – being some of the best ‘SUPPORTERS’ in the world.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:29 PM

Remember69

I’ve criticised Percy for loads of comments, but not the one about blaming the fans. I can give him that one.

It’s much easier to take your line if you don’t go to the games and you don’t have to suffer it in real life. I don’t care what anyone says. The place to be is SJP and if you’re not there, it’s a completely different animal you’re commenting on. I include myself in that when I watch our away games on TV or if ever I miss a match at SJP because I’m working.

Read his comments above about the Champions League. there’s no improvement on last year. We’re worse. many others and I predicted it. We were’t bowled over by names. How long are you prepared to put up with this mug?

I should add that I’ve got nothing against the new signings, but those who don’t come with a solid reputation should be playing their way into contention through the reserves.

• optimistic prime

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Lads I appogise but I won’t be reading the blog tonight.

There’s a few people who realise the trouble we really are in.
    This isn’t new it’s gone on for three years but some won’t have it.

I will say now some people may say emotional at the minute

We will be relegated with Alan Pardew in charge for rest of season!

I’m not playing I’ll be in tomorrow!

Read it and weep because I AM!

• John Tudor

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:34 PM

i saw or heard screams for four what i saw was reviere take into the corner and try to keep it there simple fact pardew is out of his comfort zone try the conference numpty

• John Tudor

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:35 PM

no screams pardew the buffoon liar and shit manager

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Were Lacazette and Remy the only game in town? Have we done no other homework on anyone else in the world?

Percy has a big say in signings, and no one will convince me otherwise. He’s had nearly four years. Our defence is still pap and he thought until recently we have the striking options to take us to the Champions League. He’s done nothing to rectify the glaring basic problems. My own dear mother could do a better job and I mean that. At the very least she wouldn’t talk such sh1te when it’s not merited.

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM

FREE BEN ARFA

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:38 PM

For Pardew to talk about time wasting just about sums him up, we have conceded three shocking goals to a poor Palace side and that is simply unacceptable.

We have players making the starting 11 that should not be there while he has alienated players who could make the difference.

I’m sick and tired of listening to his excuses and watching sub-standard performances the man has to go

• Blackley and Brownlie

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:40 PM

The atmosphere was excellent today and Percy should be praising the fans for all the support. His team had 12 men today.

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Blackley

We have no intention of signing a striker as we already have four on our books and two youngster coming through, we need defenders as what we have are simply shyte and yet we are trying to offload Mapou but we will keep Willo, Saylor and Colo……………………the mind boggles

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM

What a solo effort for Stoke’s goal

• Pottz

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Remember 69.

Focusing on the goals conceded alone yesterday.

1st minute, straight after HT, and Stoppage time!!

All of the above are shocking times to concede.

That points out to me that

A; Alan Pardew doesn’t have his players prepared enough for KO before the game and after HT. More likely his conservative tactics are to blame for conceding at these important junctures which set the tone for the days performance.

B; Alan Pardew doesn’t have it drilled into his players to play and concentrate until the final whistle.

In fact Remember 69, Are you alan Pardew? 😉

• gonufc (Newcastle United Sports Direct Advertising Club)

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I’d love to find out what actually happens day to day in training.

Do they ever practice build up play? Ever?

• Mickalonius

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Laurent, you are like a broken record, seriously, do you have anything to contribute other then ‘I hate Pardew’ ?

• John Tudor

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM

@ was it hba esk

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:47 PM

John Tudor

a little bit, but Joe Hart was shocking and should have saved it, but a great run from one box to the other

• John Tudor

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:50 PM

says alot then. we would move it to centre line, back pass it then sideways, walk it into palaces half then look for a static player, i have watched better subbuteo games than that

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:53 PM

School boy defending

• ToonFromLeeds

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Firstly Pardew needs sacking and we need a striker (looks like Lacazette is a possibility) and decent centre back

• stuart no9

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Pardews comments today—–‘ I thought we got a little bit carried away when we took the lead,’ –what ? carried away against palace at home??? great a fine season we have to look forward to . what a s”t comment , and one that dosnt fill you full of hope . Is hr still manager?

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Its even more pathetic second time round

• Brutooon

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:57 PM

1) Colback is our only Centre Midfield yesterday. Sissoko should be there in the middle but nowhere to be seen.

2) because colback is alone in the middle, it is easy for Crystal palace to score.

3) and because of that we play long ball (which is not effective)

• geordie157

Aug 30, 2014 at 10:59 PM

One commanding centre back would make such a difference.

• toon22

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM

People who have endured the last few years of watching this dross can see a pattern.
    Our team looks lost.
    We simply arnt playing as a team and have relied on the odd individual to drag us to the win.
    The tactic of the long ball to willow at the back post is now making me angry.
    Is it 3 or 4 years we have been doing that now?

AP thinks he can play the same style as José but sadly he hasnt thought his own style might be better,like a cheap plastic imitation we are rubbish.

If we are lucky we might get a saviour or two who drag us to mid table,its just that the fat man will sell said players asap.

Hope we get religated or sold as i cba with another season such as whats on offer atm.

• Black and White with an army lol

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM

hey guys hows it going 😉

Iv’e been away for a few days but I was back in time to watch the match.

I got to say I enjoyed some parts of the match especially when young Aarons came on, WOW what an impact he made, this guy needs to play more games and I only hope Pardsh!t notice his talents and lead to more examples for our youth players coming through and give them a chance.

oh and I was absolutely buzzing when Willo got his first goal, well done lad it’s been a very very very very long time coming.

oh and if we don’t get any results for the next 3 games against Southampton, Hull and Stoke I really believe Pardsh!t will be sacked

• Thump

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

@remember69: No, today was poor defending. We dominated possession and still managed to come away with only one point, are you actually arguing that our defence was solid, or even competent?

The simple fact is, Pardew has seen the same issues for a few games and has done nothing to address them. He doesn’t seem to know how to organise the team, and I certainly didn’t see him down at the touchline screaming at everybody to stay calm and see out the win. Our setpieces are woefully ineffective – Colback to Willo at far post, back into the box, hope for the best; I reckon you could put 11 men around Willo and Colback would still be told to aim for him. Likewise with Riviere – how come everybody can see that the lone striker isn’t working, but not Pardew?

He’s not the man to take us forward and if this continues much longer we’re in for relegation (not a scrap, we’re going down). I f’ing hope I’m wrong on that, but it’s the same thing every time – there has been no improvement. We’re toothless in attack and woeful in defence. If we don’t control the midfield, we’re done for.

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM

How the f$£k can Pardew blame the ref???

For a man that pride’s himself on his defensive set up all three goals came from our two centre half’s standing off and day dreaming.

Pathetic, poor and no different from last season

• toonking

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM

breaking news alan pardew is sacked!

• JackButler

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Thump

I don’t know it’s Pardew being to stubborn to change things or he simply doesnt know how to change it

• Tsunki

Aug 30, 2014 at 11:05 PM

You can come onto the blog, or any nufc blog for that matter, and witness the extremes of opinion about Pardew, the excuses and the blind hatred. But in the middle ground, which I believe I reside in, thats where you find the posters who despair of Pardew and Ashley. Todays result on paper was by no means a disaster, but in the scheme of their tenure,with the backdrop of Ashleys cynical disdain for and cheapening of the club, evidenced by the tolerance of Pardews residence, even the fencesitters will tell you the time is right for change before Mikes cash cow starts to dry up, and the legendary support of the club follows suit.

Season tickets are still to be sold, special offer bundles are being desperately hawked, the ground is still filling but there are no queues, no doubt soon the ground will show empty seats. This regime is doing more damage to itself than any action group and protest march. Keep going Alan, show yourself the door.