Ben Arfa’s Gone With No Way Back – Can We Still Finish Top 8?

We think Ben Arfa got almost what he wanted, when he rather dramatically got a one year loan deal to Hull City late on Monday night, and when that loan spell ends he will become a free agent – so there’s no way he will ever return to Newcastle.

Alan Pardew Villa Park

Alan Pardew – could be under pressure to finish top eight

We think his first choice was to stay on Tyneside for the last year of his contract, but a loan move to a club with a good man manager in Steve Bruce means he will get playing time in the PL, which he wouldn’t have enjoyed under Newcastle manager Alan Pardew.

Even if Newcastle have a new manager by next summer,  it’s hard to think the powers that be at the club would bring Ben Arfa back to Newcastle, after all that happened this year.

As soon as we saw last night that it was a one year loan deal, we knew he was gone, and he will want to play well this season to set up a move next summer to a top club since no transfer fee will be involved, and that’s not Newcastle – not these days..

It’s a pity he’s gone because a lot  of us still wanted the mercurial one at Newcastle, and we’ll never forgot those goals he scored for the club – most players just couldn’t score the magnificent goals he scored against Blackburn and Bolton – that’s when Pardew was still playing him in the first team.

This is what an emotional Ben Arfa has said on the Hull City web-site, with their fans still going wild that they have  a player of Ben Arfa’s skills and creativity at the club:

“The manager wants me here, and that is very important,” “The welcome was amazing. I was almost crying.”

“I was shocked to see so many people there at midnight waiting for me. It was great and I thank them.”

“When I woke up on Monday morning, there was nothing on the cards.” “Then, in the afternoon the call came and everything happened very quickly after that. At 1am, everything was complete, and I was very happy.”

“I’m very much looking forward to the start of a new challenge.” “I’m looking forward to being back on the pitch after two months of only training.”

“The manager has made a lot of very good signings. There were many good players already here and then more have arrived this week.”

It’s interesting that Ben Arfa may have difficulty with his managers, but the fans just love the guy, and he’s the type of player who has  fans – at both home and away grounds –  paying money to see him play.

Hull manager Steve Bruce couldn’t quite believe his luck on Monday night, and that’s not surprising:

“I didn’t think it would be possible to do a loan deal, but the later it got the more beneficial it became,”  “With a bit of patience and luck, we’ve managed to pull in a really good player.”

“We all know he is a wonderful talent, and although it has gone a little bit sideways for him at Newcastle in the last couple of months, he’ll bring that little bit of flair and creativity that every team needs.”

Newcastle need that flair and creativity right now in our team – come to think of it.

So the days of Newcastle having fantastic players seem to have gone, unless they are also willing to work and track back and do work both on attack and in defense.

Well,  to be a bit more accurate,  that’s going to be true as long as Alan Pardew is manager at Newcastle, and the way he forced Ben Arfa out of the club on Monday has turned some fans even more against him, than they already were.

Alan Pardew must have seen the outcry against him from our fans after Ben Arfa moved to Hull – let’s say he’s not the most popular guy on Tyneside, but he wasn’t before Ben Arfa moved either.

It’s always sad when a popular and creative player has to leave the club because the manager has fallen out with him – although to be fair both men were at fault for the ludicrous stand-off – like two school kids fighting in the playground – it was not professional.

In order to keep his job at Newcastle,  Alan Pardew will have to keep Newcastle at least in the top ten this season – and the target is rumored to be higher than that – a top eight finish.

Finishing in the top eight this season is by no means  a certainty with the squad we have at the moment, with other teams having improved  their squads markedly over last season, including on Monday.

Hull are one of those clubs.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jimmysmith

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:15 AM

I’ve long felt that Pardew was a capable manager, gaining in valuable experience in a tough job while working at a club with an ownership that was asking an awful lot of him, but of course I don’t really know.

Even so, I tend to think that he has these next 4 games to get some results or he’s in trouble. I suspect Ashley thinks he’s given him a squad that should be comfortable top ten, and these are games we should be picking up points in.

I think we played alright in the first three games, patchy as you might expect with so many new faces. And like everyone else I think the club needed to offload one or two and bring in a quality striker and CB. But this is Newcastle under Ashley, and if Pardew can’t make it work on match day, I think fairly or unfairly, he’s likely to go.

Personally, I think the club has failed again in the transfer market, and if he gets the side playing well and in the top ten he’ll deserve far more credit than he’ll get.

• Toon Tang

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:23 AM

OP from last thread,

The blender man for next toon boss maybe? he’ll blend our team into title winners no doubt.

Jimmy, Aye mate Ashley will be looking at his ‘outlay’ and wondering why we aren’t winning games and pards will be the only weak link in his mind (and majority everyone else’..)

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM

jimmysmith

true about the next 4 games, if we loose all 4 games Pardew will be gone for sure.

I was gutted more about Mbiwa rather than HBA because I knew HBA wouldn’t get a game and Mbiwa never got a full run to prove himself.

Pardew will never change his style so I wouldn’t hang hope of him doing better with the team he has.

If Pardew is here by December he needs to change his tactics and if he doesn’t relegation is where we will be heading.

• gazzaforever

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:27 AM

I remember like 15 years ago or something, the Sunday title was “who needs Paul?” After Paul Scholes scored for the England side and took the place of Gazza in the Coach silly mind (Hoddle? Not sure, dont remember) . Gascoigne is now a legend and who gives a fck about Scholes. Ben Arfa is that class of players, game changers, and only morons, like in those Gazza s days cant see it. Like ED says, people pay money to see him play, not for Gouf, Jonas, etc.. they want to see magic. And that s what Ben Arfa is, an entertainer. HE ll be missed badly, thanks to Pardouche. Good luck with the Tigers, with a better coach.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:32 AM

many people say that Pardew will never be sacked but I beg to differ.

I also hear and read that if Pardew did get the sack he would be replaced by another Pardew style manager but again I don’t think MA will bring such manager here again.

IMO MA will bring in a manager who can integrate youth players into the first team a bit like what Southampton have done over the years.

MA is here to protect his money and make profits so he won’t risk getting another Dinosaur manager

• Lost Plot

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM

If Pards loses next few then for surez he history (swap him with Brucey to Hull)

BUT he’ll probably pull a thriller of a match off and save his ass as usual 🙁

Still see us top flight tho .. Feel the faith 🙂

• Toon Tang

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:34 AM

There’s no way pards can finish top 8 with the style of footy he’s foreseen for us. Not with the DM and CB situation either. Playing a defencive game and leaking goals is a worse recipe than Jamie Oliver mounting Fanny Cradock over a greasy worksurface.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:35 AM

gazzaforever

aye mate wor Steve Bruce could get the best out of him and I wouldn’t be surprise if Hull signed him permanently at the end of the season

• Toon Tang

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Black, they will do mate, it’ll be a free if I’m not mistaken. Or is it the season after??

• gazzaforever

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:37 AM

I hope so mate. Or maybe he could come back here after the loan, when Retardue isnt at the club anymore lol

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:39 AM

Lost Plot

Fans will be on his case in every match so this season he has even more pressure on him than the other 2 seasons.

once the pressure builds up he will crack and loose self belief and this will transform into bad results, and if this happens the players will be on his back about his tactics and most likely they would report him to MA

• yorkshire_magpie

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:39 AM

@8 I wouldn’t be surprised if he signs for them permanently because Hull Are more ambitious than Newcastle and they have a better manager. Harsh but true.

• John Tudor

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:41 AM

win three loose 1 he still should be out the door

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Toon Tang

once his loan is finished he will be on a free.

gazzaforever

I don’t know if he can be called back, it’s whether Hull made a bid for bringing him to Hull on loan via monthly instalments or direct/upfront payment ( like us with the Remy loan deal )

BUT Newcastle can still offer him a contract whilst he’s out on loan.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:46 AM

yorkshire_magpie

it is true mate, but it depends if HBA enjoys himself there or we finally get a new manager

• yorkshire_magpie

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Hatem We will miss you. You will always be in our hearts. Thanks for all the magic moments you gave us. BEN 10 FOREVER.

• jimmysmith

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Gazza was a one off, but you’re doing Paul Scholes a disservice there. He’s as accomplished as any in the history of the premiership and probably should have had dozens more starts for England, if not for the decade long indecision played out over whether Lampard and Gerrard should play together in the same side, that never was resolved.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM

John Tudor

if he wins 35 games he STILL should be showing the door 😉

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:51 AM

yorkshire_magpie

you couldn’t miss him mate, you live closer to him 😉

• gazzaforever

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Jimmy , I didnt say that Paul Scholes wasnt a good player, that was not my point.

• gazzaforever

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Black, he will be free agent at the end of the year, so tecnically he can go anywhere, even if I dont think he wont come back here 🙁

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:55 AM

I think MA will be p!ssed right off at Pardew if Mbiwa won player of the year for Rome and HBA won player off the season with Hull 😉

• yorkshire_magpie

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Black and White thats true lol. But I can only dream we get a new manager and a new owner thats the only way forward for our club now.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:57 AM

gazzaforever

aye mate, I was suppose to say end of the year when his loan finishes 🙂

• yorkshire_magpie

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM

I will never forgive Pardew for what he’s done to Ben Arfa.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:59 AM

yorkshire_magpie

a new manager is possible but a new owner though could be highly unlikely unless a tycoon comes in for us or we get relegated

but we can only hope

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:02 AM

lets not forget that the Man City owners came for us first but MA wanted double the valuation of the club ( greedy b@stard )

• gazzaforever

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:03 AM

I will never forgive Pardew for what he’s done to football.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM

I will never forgive Pardew for becoming a manager in the first place 🙂

• yorkshire_magpie

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Black and white. What hurts me the most is The clubs attacking style of football has completely died and with it the soul of the club has died thanks to MA and Pardew. I wouldn’t care less if we didn’t win anything. All I want is us to play attacking football again and we all know that will never ever happen under this regime.

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:10 AM

yorkshire_magpie

aye mate very true, I remember the days when Newcastle were known for there attacking style tactics and other teams found us hard to play against.

but now we seem to be the walk over for every team now,

I also remember the days when Newcastle and Sunderland where in the premier league together I always said to friends and family ” Well that’s an easy 6 points for us ” now though it seems the mackems have took my phrase 🙁

• gazzaforever

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM

Yorkshire that is impossible with Pardew, unless he leaves, or , more conceivable option, we send a terminator in the past to kill his parents.

• lesh

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:15 AM

I wonder how much, if there’s any truth in the possibility that Mbiwa was ‘Ben Arfad’, forced out of the door?

The Chron’s suggesting that Padew ostracised too!

• jimmysmith

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:16 AM

I think the side definitely has the players to play attacking, entertaining football and still comfortably stay up and I think Pardew could do it if he wanted. Would probably get slaughtered by the senior sides though, but we’re not likely to seriously challenge the top six anyway, so why not provide some value for money? The fear of relegation more than anything, I suppose, which of course is a nightmare for any club nowadays more than ever considering the rewards on offer in the premiership relative to the championship, and moreover every place in the league you grind out is worth so much. In a word money.

• jimmysmith

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:31 AM

The club has to allow a seemingly large number of players wind down their contracts, because of the long term deals and relatively high wages they give unproven players, a percentage of which won’t cut it in the EPL or at Newcastle. It means I suppose they have to be very careful who they bring in, which in turn means we don’t succeed in getting the ones we really need at all, more often than other clubs of similar stature. It’s a glaring shortcoming of the policy, I think.

• Toon73

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:38 AM

Wow.

Anyone suggesting Pardew’s days are numbered don’t really understand how this regime works.

This clueless clown will be here long term – regardless of results.

• jimmysmith

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:49 AM

The longer he gets into his contract, the more vulnerable his hold on his job inevitably will become, if he doesn’t keep us top ten minimum.

• brklyngeordie

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Hate to say this but best thing possible for us is to get rolled over in the next few games and do what we should have done this summer and swing the axe on Pardews head.
    With that being said who would we bring in? Would we be happy with Moyes or Pulis? Maybe even Laudrup? Would anyone even be willing to give it a go here with this board? Could see the fat bastard calling back poor Chris Hughton who would have been better then Pards in first place.
    I really don’t know what to think of club I know the board sucks but at same time feel the class of players we have is better then what we get out of them but at same time who but Pardew could accept what is the madness at SJP so confused as to what to think of the team are any of these players really willing to bleed for the shirt?

• Brutooon

Sep 3, 2014 at 2:03 AM

No way we will finish top 8

1) a clueless manager

2) A slow CB in williamson and collocini. And overrated Saylor as backup (and injury prone)