Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – Simply Telling It Like It Is

There has been news reported that Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa has criticized Newcastle and some negative connotations have been put on what he has said today about his time in England and at Newcastle, but when you read what Mapou says – it seems fairly accurate to us and far from critical of anybody.

mapou yanga-mbiwa

Mapou being introduced at Roma on Monday night

This is what Mapou has told the press:

“My spell in England wasn’t a success. They don’t see things in the same way, it’s a lot more physical over there.” “Things are different here in Italy. They play more football.”

“The Italian league is very similar to Ligue 1 and I’ll do whatever the team and coach need me to. ”  “We definitely have a great squad and we’ll do everything we can to achieve success.”

“If I play regularly, I don’t see how I wouldn’t have a chance to return for Les Bleus,”

“In England it didn’t really work out because we don’t have the same vision of things, or maybe I didn’t adapt.” “I hope to flourish here and show everyone that moving to England was a bit of a mistake.” “I am very happy to be here at Roma.”

“I want to try to be competitive and add something to this squad.” “The coach Remy Garcia knows me well and I hope I can offer a lot to the team.” “The coach knew me when I played in France and won the title with Montpellier.”

“He was one of the best coaches in Ligue 1.”  “He saw what I can do back then and he knows what I can bring to the table. I will fight both in training and games to earn a starting berth.”

“He was the first one to contact me. He convinced me to come here to win the Scudetto. I’m keen to win trophies and achieve success and that’s what brought me here.”

We don’t think there anything wrong with what Mbiwa has said there – it’s fairly accurate.

He didn’t adapt well to play in the Premier League, and it didn’t work out for him in the Premier League, plus it’s a lot more physical than other European leagues – like the Italian and French leagues for example.

In that sense his moving to England and Newcastle was a mistake – in retrospect.

Note: George Scratcherd is a long time reader of the blog and he’s running both the Great North Run this weekend and the Oxford Half Marathon on 12th October – in support of Cancer Research UK. Please see if you can support George on his JustGiving page.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jimmysmith

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Ashley is the guy behind the transfer policy isn’t he. He is the one constant in all of this. It’s not coming from Charnley, nor a legacy of Llambias, nor from Pardew or Carr. These guys have a remit, that admittedly they must have bought into or at least accept, but a remit that is essentially the will of the owner. HBA, Mbiwa and DeJong were bought as heavy hitters, two have been shipped out without replacement and the other, injury prone, has no natural or proven understudy in the squad and plays in its most pivotal position. That’s the worst of Ashley right there.

• expatmag

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:13 AM

TUFF

The Eric Morcambe of the blog……..lol

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:24 AM

tequila -what this about Percy using a rack to stretch players. Please stop saying bad things about Percy -you’ll end up giving the bloke a bad name.

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM

Mr Tuff how do you think Sammi ended up 6 foot 7. He was the size of Perez when he started.

• Shadow_Shearer

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:28 AM

U can’t blame MYM. I remember him sayin in an interview when he joined,it was nufc determination to sign me that convinced me to join. He had other offers on the table including inter Milan. Then he couldn’t even get a starting spot ahead of taylor, never mind colo when he really deserved it

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:35 AM

tequila – this is shocking news that Percy is using medieval (that means relating to the Middle Ages) instruments to torture his players. I see a definite theme here – he is also torturing us with his brand of football.
    Percy Parsnip………………………………………OOT

• stuart no9

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM

so soko has has a good game for french and remy scores the winner. i feel sick. pardew is just a tw@”t

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Just seen the news on De Jong. It’s laughably typical, but we knew what we were buying so the management can’t complain too much. I won’t be accepting it as an excuse from Pardew let’s just say that.

Hope this is signaling the end for Pardew now, the tide does seem to have turned. He’s had his chances and blown most of them. Time to get a proper manager in like Martinez, Rogers, Pochettino or Koeman.

• ITUNDERASHELL

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Bedlington Terriers are in action at the weekend.
    Cannot wait to see them gracing the pitch with their silky skills.
    God l hope They don’t hire Pardew

• jimmysmith

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:39 AM

I’m starting to agree that the club really does need a manager who can work with Carr to identify the right players and then develop them within the Ashley system, buy low and young, hand out long contracts, bring through development players. It’s pointless expecting Ashley to change, and I increasingly suspect, for Pardew to deliver. It’s a tough remit and it I think requires a rare manager.

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM

Mister Tuff I am glad you have learned a new word though puzzled you felt the need to explain it..
    Did you read the thread were we were discussing favourite bands. I mentioned how much I enjoyed the sweet sweet music of Catchy from Norway and the Hystericals,
    Are you still playing lead triangle?

• NZGeordieviaAfrica

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Repost from -Siem asks for Tolerance

Lilongwe @ 1 – 15 points from the first 24???? At that rate we wouldn’t even get to 30 points by the 38th game. Are you suggesting we are relegated already and just making up the numbers? It kinda feels like it to me already but I thought I was being a bit harsh. Maybe a typo?

• jimmysmith

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Newcastle don’t play bad football at all, we simply don’t. It’s naughty to claim we do. We knock it around as reasonably as we can, in an extremely demanding league, often hamstrung by injuries to an all too often threadbare and imbalanced group of players, prone to losing key individuals without replacing them.

I’d like to see Pards be a little more open in his style, I think he could perhaps afford to be, but he on the other hand is trying to secure points, which are all important to the club and the owner.

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:52 AM

And that’s the transfer policy.

Carr! Find us players who I can make money on who has the potential to be great! They don’t have to be great right now!

Dosn’t matter if they have attitude problems, months left on their contracts or anything else! Just get! Don’t worry about positions or balance to the squad, it’s all about the £££.

We will give them five year deals, sell them after two or three years, given how good they are. This is the structure just make me money!

Oh, and they have to be under 26 obviously, We will sort Colo out also!

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:53 AM

tequila – I did indeed read the posts about the favourite bands. I must say I prefer 60’s 70’s bands.Some good evenings were had in the Toon many moons ago -bands I can remember seeing -Eric Clapton in Derek and the Dominoes, Free now I tend to listen to Zepellin, Black Sabbath, the Doors, Cream, I like Motown as well.
    Playing the triangle -behave – I can play the guitar, harmonica and keyboard though.

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:54 AM

Jimmysmith there are probably 13 teams desperate to hit 40 points by hook or by crook and look to push on from there.
    The rest have squads with enough strength in depth to not be thinking about that. sadly we are not one of them at the moment.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:58 AM

expat -morning/evening – how’s things.

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Mr Tuff Jimi Hendrix said there was only 2 types of music good and bad. I was born in 63 so have had the benefit of listening to years of good music. I enjoyed all the bands you mention and have seen most but I still find loads of stuff I like.
    If you can play the harmonica and guitar I am sure the triangle will be no problem for you.

• brklyngeordie

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM

If the HBA transfer didn’t hurt enough before well now we are really in some sh!t with Siem being out…Now anyone with logic can see this should immediately open door for Chucky or Campbell and have us playing w 2 strikers up front but this is Pardumb and will manage to put wrong players in wrong position.

The dark cloud hanging over SJP just got a little bigger lads hold on tight because this season is going to get real bumpy here on out

• expatmag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:08 AM

TUFF

Very good over here. Lovely spring sunny morning. Was on the beach with Rosie and the dog at 7am before dropping her off at school.

Doing the house husband duties now….lol

• expatmag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:13 AM

TEQUILA

On the subject of music, we went to see Queen at the Rod Laver arena in Melbourne last friday night with the new front man , Adam Lambert who won the american X factor show. He is no Freddie Mercury but he was superb all the same. Brian May was superb as usual and it was interesting that Queen gave now incorporated Roger Taylors son into the band as an additional drummer. Great night.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:14 AM

tequila – Hendrix -decent shout -like him as well. Like Steppenwolf as well – their lead singer is still on the go – John Kay -kept his voice – all the others are dead now I think.
    Mmm born in 63 – well just a whippersnapper then. Do you play any instruments – real ones I mean -nothing like air guitar or a kazoo.

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:17 AM

Expat, always difficult when a band loses an integral part. A mate was telling me he saw the Who recently and they had huge video screens showing Keith Moon doing mad drum solos and John Entwhistle,
    Though I think they have Ringo Starrs son playing drums for them now.

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Mr Tuff I have an acoustic which main function seems to be a dust catcher. I will learn that elusive third chord any day now.

• John Tudor

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:22 AM

i told you they bought a crock

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:23 AM

expat – weather had been decent here last couple of days. Just finished the living room -last job was making a couple of walnut pipe collars -for the radiator pipes. – now matches the walnut floor. Getting new suite from the Toon on the 10th.
    Dragon is off work on holiday at the minute -so there’s no hiding place at the minute -jobs jobs jobs jobs.

• expatmag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM

Tequila

They did the same here. Queen had huge screens behind the stage and to the side. When it came to Bohemian Rhapsody, Lambert started the song and then the lights went down to show only Freddie on screen singing before ending with the whole band coming together to finish the song. It was quite emotional.

• soundoid

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM

Don’t think anyone has mentioned this fella as our new Manager but I think he’d be fantastic.

• expatmag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:31 AM

TUFF

Glad to see you are still under the thumb if C.

Always liked the girl.

What would you think of Steve McLaren as our new manager?

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:37 AM

Expat I was never really sold on Queen but I know they were excellent live. I can imagine it brought the house down. Sometimes youn wait an age to see someone you love and it is a huge letdown I saw Dylan at SJP and he was terrible. I also got a job in a terrible film he made as an extra at Colston Hall in Bristol. He spent the entire time inbetween takes strumming on the stage with his back to the crowd ignoring everyone. Huge letdown.

• Sav

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:39 AM

Too physical?? He’s a centre-half for Pete’s sake! Well supposed to be. What about a little chap like Cabella, if MYM is whingeing about it being too physical. Not good enough, Mapou, neither your performances nor your excuses.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:43 AM

Expat – ref McLaren – dubious – doing all right at the moment -with a “lesser” team but he’ll always the Wally with the Brolly. So probably no thanks.
    I think Percy is in extreme danger at the moment – some of it his own making. I think we’ll be beaten by Soton and the next home games v Hull. This will trigger his fall from grace. The storm clouds are gathering. What happens then -who knows -Mt Tubbs wont care to get a top class manager.
    What this about you being emotional at the concert crwy baby – what a tart – you jessie.

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:45 AM

Royally screwed. Siem out. The one player pardew hyped, gave him vice captaincy and build the squad around whatever that means to pardew.

Hope it signals the end of Pardew. Can’t wait for it to happen. Got a gut feeling pardew will be gone in December.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:47 AM

tequila – liked the Travelling Wilburys -especially when the big O joined. Tom Petty was decent as well. Unpleasant tale about Bob Dylan – did he think you were in the crowd.

• expatmag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:50 AM

TUFF

I didnt say that I was emotional. The audience was.

Take away McLarens England record and look at his time as SAFs right hand man, his achievements with Twente and the fact he has moulded a very exciting young team at Derby on a shoestring budget, I really think he has the qualities to take over at Newcastle but maybe with an older head as Director of football working with him.

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:53 AM

No maybe he had been Pardewed.Richie Havens and Ronny wood were there as well and were jamming some nice stuff. Ian Drury played the part of the concert MC. Still a nice day out and paid as well.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 5, 2014 at 1:58 AM

expat – would love a modern manager – but Tubbs will appoint some scumbag. There are more whispers about Rangers – I think Tubbs will get a couple of years Sky money form us to service the ever increasing tax avoiding debt and then sell up. Then he will have his interests north of the border.
    Anyway that’s me off to the pit.

• tequilamag

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Good chatting with you expat but an early start for me in the morning as well. take it easy

• expatmag

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:01 AM

Tequila

Cheers mate. Have a good one

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:04 AM

M’bwia never had the mindset to make it in the Premier I doubt, as he as admitted to a certain extent with him saying it was a mistake. That’s fair enough, dosn’t happen with everyone. He was nervy.

It’s the not replacing that is upsetting.

There is a constant unbalance with this regime, no quality cover, or specialists or planning in place unless we have only one decent player for that position. I.E Debuchy\Janmaat.

They are so quick when they need to be, funny that.