Ambition Burns Brightly For This Revitalized Magpie

Mehdi Abeid’s career seemed to be over at Newcastle in January of last year,  when he was loaned out to St. Johnstone after playing only 5 games for Newcastle in the previous two seasons – and bigger clubs like those in the Championship didn’t come in for him,

Mehdi Abeid Gillingham +v+Newcastle+United+anzqjQow_tpl

Mehdi Abeid in action at Gillingham

And then in the summer, Greek side Panathinaikos took him on loan last season, and the rest is history as they say, and Mehdi played 38 games with 10 goals in Greece and had a terrific season.

So in the one and a half seasons since a year last January Abeid has played 51 games to add to his previous 24 first team appearances at Lens and Newcastle.

Mehdi has always had the technical ability,  and he looked a (very) good player at Gillingham, and if Newcastle are to do well this season it will mean younger fringe players such as Mehdi, Rolando Aarons, Adam Armstrong, Lubo Satka and others come though at the club.

This is what Abeid told the Shields Gazette today:

“I didn’t know what would be my future,” “But now it is clearer in my head.” “I want to keep going that way and show people that I can improve myself here.”

“The Premier League is a big league in the world,”  “Playing at that level would be great for me.”  “I have to be patient and I have to work.” “

“I got some experience and played a lot of games last season” “It’s a lot of experience for me.” “I grew up as a player and as a man.” “I want to keep going.”

“I really learnt a lot there. I played a lot.” “I wanted to play football, and that is what I did. I want to pass another level.”

We don’t know whether Jack Colback and Cheick Tiote will be fit enough for the Southampton game, although both could be ready – but Mehdi could see his big chance in that game.

We also have to remember he’s still only played six times for the Newcastle first team over the last three years.

Mehdi has an excellent chance this season to show that he can become a  (very) good player for Newcastle,  and he does add some creativity to the side with his very good technical skills.

We hope Mehdi takes his chance big time – and he certainly seems to have the right attitude and mindset these days – thanks to a maturing season in Greece last term.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• waynemcQ182

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM

At least without a game this weekend we wont be getting Pardewed.

• beermonkey

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM

tbh I was more concerned about not buying a decent centre back than a striker
    yes we lost remy but we were always going to set up different and with the offensive players we bought in I reckoned we would create a lot more chances

the problem is pardews tactics even in a new formation are still isolating the striker when we did use dejong last game he was being bypassed and not used

huge concerns now as we leak goals and are not creating chances

to be fair riviere has done ok yes he fluffed his lines on a couple of occasions but who in the team hasn’t but he is getting into some great positions

but he is another player out of position as he is no target man

Aarons has done great pards will keep on the bench and use him a super get out of jail sub instead of of being nurtured in his first season he will used to try as save his managers skin its got disaster written all over it

• Slank

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I would play Abeid against Southampton as I doubt Tiote is fully match fit and I don’t know whether Colback’s recent injury will have an adverse impact on him.

It’s a choice between Abeid or Anita. Anita has probably the greater skills but Abeid appears more robust and in his game against Gillingham he ran the show, far out eclipsing Sissoko.

Like Aarons and Dummitt before him we should try out these younger players such as Abeid and Armstrong. They either sink or swim and shape up or be shipped out.

• Tsunki

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Southampton of course will take us out back and give us a good spanking. Not like the one Ketsy would give Aldererierwerield. A pub car park revenge type one.

• Douglas

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM

The only way to get shot of MA in the short run is not to go to games. I have not been to 1 during his tenure!! Low crowds, low income; that is what he will listen to.
    Support the team not the regime is nonsense. Supporting the team is supporting FMA. (Unfortunately)

• NOVA2967

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:46 AM

We need him… Anita, Tiote, Colback don’t score goals… We desperately need a threat from CM and Abeid is more of a real box to box playmaker than the others.
    This year is the year of break through players… come on, come one

Aarons, Abeid, Armstrong… whoop whoop
    Not like we are playing for anything this year… Please sell sissoko for 10 mill

• Tsunki

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Sissoko is a very effective player for France. He won’t be for us because Pardew can’t position him in the team properly, and we have the wrong players around him

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Getting loaned out to St Johnstone must be the same feeling as a Roman soldier who finds out he is going to Hadrians wall instead of Damascus.

• Go toon gooooo

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:51 AM

——————Krul——————–
    Anita——–Steven Taylor—Coloccini—Haidara

—————Sissoko——————–

Obertan—-Cabella——Abeid———Aarons

—————-Demba Cisse if fit?

Mehdi deserves his start.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Douglas,
    120 years of football addiction is hard to cure.

• beermonkey

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

slank

were you at the Gillingham game

• LewSpi v2.0

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM

A very good analogy Jail

• dazzler

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

If the naming of the stadium changed are.they not legally bound to call it that.. I mean even one fifa had us playing in the sda.. Do the commentators refer to the Emirates by its name I can’t say I’ve ever noticed?.. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out although I can’t see him selling us for as long as we are profitable for him.

• John Tudor

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:09 AM

jail since time immemorial

• John Tudor

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM

every body out

• John Tudor

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:43 AM

are the lights out?

• Slank

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Beermonkey @ 11

No I wasn’t.

I listened to it on the radio and it was all ‘Abeid this, Abeid that, Abeid shot, Abeid tackle etc’. The two commentators said that he had run the show and comparing him against Sissoko it was difficult to decide that Sissoko was the full French international and not Abeid.

Now either the commentators got it horribly wrong or my ears deceived me.

I think others who had listened to the match came away with the same impression.

Abeid must have grown in confidence after his very successful loan spell abroad. A bit like Dummitt and Tav, if we don’t try them out in the first team after a loan spell it must put sending further players out on loan in doubt. We must use them or lose them.

• firebug666

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:53 AM

We are in so much trouble this season, going forward (on paper) we don’t look so bad, and we have plenty of options, and if we can get one of the strikers to find the net regularly then things could be rose.

That said, over the last to season we have managed to ship in a record number of goals, and this season looks to be no different. In essence we have nothing to offer in defence, and even less given that MYM has been shipped out.

Add to that the inept one’s inability to managed the players as individuals or as a team, failure to find a formation that suites, and a lack of tactical knowledge and you have the recipe for a disaster.

This season will see us dallying at the bottom of the table hoping a praying we can win the last game of the season to survive.

That’s just the way I see it lads & Lasses.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Firebug,
    Can you explain why this season was supposed to be a change ?

• Mag52

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Mr.Tuff.
    re.post on previous thread.

Just to let you know Mr.Tuff that those who you refer to as the ‘Legion of Dishonour’ (that is those who prefer to be fair minded about our manager) we are still very much on the blog and on your case.
    If we are the Legion of Dishonour then you guys must be the ‘Legion of Dishonesty’ for all the nonsense you churn out about AP. Whatever he says or doesn’t say, whatever he does or doesn’t do, is pulled apart by you obsessives, with little regard to the fairness or logic of your criticism.
    We all accept he’s not a great manager. At best he’s average, doing an average job under nigh on impossible conditions working, as he does, for a boss for whom ambition, in terms of success, style, trophies, for our club, everything longed for by the fans, takes second place, way behind ambition for his business.
    By making Pardew the target of your bile, you are letting the real villain off the hook.
    We’re still around and will stay around as long as you barmies continue with your agenda.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Mag52,
    Mr Tuff is one of the more lenient when it comes to our mediocre at best manager, I, like many others are at a loss on how to remove our owner, Lpool only managed it because RBS were about to call in their loans, a way to get at Mashers would be to remove his mouthpiece and see if anyone else would step willingly in his place, if another candidate refused to do his bidding it might force our greedy owner into a rethink of policy and ambition.

• John Tudor

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM

and whilst you extol the virtues of ashley and pardew, happy with a regime that will have us relegated with no chance of a return or at best 4th from bottom all i say you must be a penny short of 5p

• beermonkey

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM

slank

I agree I thought he would be more influential further up but I am glad he was not to bad in the holding role

but I think for him to play in the prem he would be better further up until he is used to it

glad he took the game on though he also need rewarding for playing well with prem game time not bench warming

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Mag52.

‘We’ aren’t letting the villain off the hook at all.

This is a pic I took from the Time 4 Change march.

Did you go?

Development will only occur if groups take part and show strength, which is why inclusion with planned action is a must for anyone who disagrees with the current situation. There are various forms of action both inside and outside the ground. It’s a matter of taking part.

Pardew is abysmal and his removal is the fastest resolution to better football which we have to endure week in week out. It is quicker to achieve than getting someone to buy the club which could take a long time. Especially if My Cashley wants an extortionate amount for it.

• John Tudor

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM

exactly laurent 32

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Look at some of the age groups who were in the march with us.

For the deluded few who suggested a handful teenagers were there, think again. It was a very broad age range from front to back and both genders.

I’ll be at the next one too.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:47 AM

and while I’m logged in to that account…

This is the grass which Pardew said was too long (another of his petty excuses) against Rangers last year(!) I was on the front row that day so I snapped a close up.

In case you didn’t see it when I posted it last year.

You are forgiven in thinking they may have been playing on marsh land in the tropics through Pardull’s description.

A game in which we were awful in and Shola scored in the last minute via a mistake from their defender. A lower division Rangers team remember, not the stereo-typical world famous names.

• optimistic prime

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Pardew in!

The Tyne with concreate wellies.

That’s what our players look like under him so repay the favour.

I was on the peev yesterday so didn’t realise SDJ was out for months 🙁
    Not sure how much this will affect us I hadn’t seen him do much when he played, mainly due to tactics.

Unsure how Percy will play now, I think he’ll change the formation to 442 I would say change tactics but he doesn’t know how.

As for the fat one, I hope he changes Ibtoxs name as I can’t see Rangers fans taking that to well.
    Lots of people think he’s going to buy Rangers and sell us, can’t see it as EPL gets way more coverage than SPL. He can’t advertise in Europe and all ads must come down so Rangers in CL gets him nothing.

Unless one of his brands make Rangers kit or sponsors it no advertise except the ground name which he already owns rights to. Even if he buys them he’ll keep us but I think he had what he wants from them now.

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Ashley is here for the long haul `nufc ` is in real good shape as a business which is his area of expertise It is in his nature to make `nufc `the best SD has destroyed all its rivals But Rome was not built in a day

• Toon Tang

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Looks to have filled right out on that pic does our mehdi. Was only a thin yout last time I saw him.

• JamesToon

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:55 AM

So who’s actually injured/not available for the southampton game?

• jimmysmith

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I don’t accept at all that Pardew is rubbish nor do I assume that Ashley is a total shit, but it’s hard to see us putting together a complete squad in the short or even medium term, with this transfer policy. It’s odd, because the difference is probably a spend in the region of 5-10 mill more per season, for a handful of seasons, until the youth policy bears fruit, assuming that’s the emphasis. With the very distinct possibility of gaining immediate and greater profit through a higher league position and a higher profile for the club and by association through advertising and I suppose far more importantly to the owner, SD. And 5-10 million to the Toon in this league, with Ashley’s wealth behind it, is nothing. Players seem to buy into it all though, although to them perhaps it’s win, win, win regardless. Toon do well, great. They do well and Toon don’t, they engineer a better deal elsewhere. Neither does well or they don’t, they have the benefit of the long contracts and decent wedge whether they’re playing or not. Seems frugal for no good reason.

• firebug666

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Jail for Ashley

I did that when you asked yesterday mate if you look back.

This was supposed to be the season where the inept one was going to re-build the squad, giving us depth and the ability to challenge in the top half of the table. He failed to carry out this plan, so it was supposed to be a season of change that just never happened.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Jeff from Benwell // Sep 6, 2014 at 11:51 AM

——

Jeff, if he’s not even investing properly when we have funds, how is he going to do it further down the line?

We need a 20 goal striker and a CB and suitably qualified manager and coaches to match the level of player we’re bringing in.

He can’t even sort that out.

The club is an advertising vessel for his business. That is it.

• nufc786

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:04 PM

France defender Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, 25, has called Alan Pardew’s Newcastle a team of long-ball merchants after leaving St James’ Park to join Roma on a season-long loan. (Sun – subscription only)

anybody saw this?

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

If he sticks to the same formation I’d play
    Janmatt Willo Colo Haidara
    Abeid Anita
    Sissoko Cabella Aarons
    Armstrong

but I guess pardew will play his most experienced team
    Janmaat Willo Colo Dummet
    Sissoko Anita
    Obertan Cabella Aarons
    Riviere

• Slank

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Jeff @ 29

I agree with you. The club is in good financial shape which it wasn’t under Shepherd.

I read an article recently to do with our Summer transfers which said that the club is adhering strictly to the UEFA Financial Fair Play Regulations unlike some clubs who are coming up with all types of wheezes to circumnavigate them. The report went on to say that the club did have the money and would have bought Remy and/or Lacazette but both players, for their own reasons, turned the club down.

Fans shouldn’t be worried about Glasgow Rangers. It looks like a very shrewd business opportunity for Ashley to market Sports Direct as the club is almost bankrupt but has a huge worldwide following and therefore a huge potential to sell Sports Direct goods.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:54 PM

786, yeah, I saw it too. Yet another player to come out and have a dig at the team ‘style’ /coaching.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:56 PM

If indeed his quotes are correct.

• beermonkey

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:02 PM

slank

I read ashleys first investment in rangers was 30k I thought that was wrong and more like 300k but either way its worth over 700k now that’s some good return on his cash I think he waiting till they get promoted and sold mean while he is getting what he can as he is taking over certain aspects of the club like the shops and that