Pardew – We’re Better And Stronger Club Than When I Arrived

Alan Pardew met with the press yesterday for the first time since that last day of the transfer window, when Newcastle allowed both Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Ben Arfa to leave the club, but because at the time both players were fringe players at best, the manager didn’t particularly think it was a big deal to let both players leave on loan.

alan pardew at oldham

Alan Pardew – we’re stronger club now than when I arrived

There’s also been a poll by the Chronicle on whether Pardew should be sacked and 85% said yes – but we’re not sure if the poll allowed a person to vote multiple times – which we never do in our polls.

That’s because results can easily be skewed if readers vote multiple times, and the more zealous fans tend to get their multiple votes in – and it’s not a fair representation of what readers really think.

But it  also wasn’t too much of a surprise that so many want Alan Pardew out after what happened on September 1st, and over  the last two seasons – which have been very poor.

Alan Pardew has talked at some length about his loss of support  with fans:

“Of course it’s important for the fans to respect and honor what you’re doing and I think maybe some of that trust was lost at the back end of last season.”

“There could be a number of arguments why you would consider that to be my fault, and I would have to accept those if that was the opinion of the fans.”

“All I can do is honor what I think I do for this football club, and that’s an honest job. I have to try to put a team out that not only wants to win the game, but also does so in a manner I think works for this team.”

“You can only really enhance that relationship with the fans by winning games, and we need to win some, simple as that,” “The pressure that the local media, and media in general, put on me at this football club will never change. I think it will always be the same.”

“Sometimes, when you’re at a club for a long time, and I’m the second longest serving manager in the Premier League now, it becomes a little more difficult, especially at a club of this size. People ask, ‘why haven’t you won a trophy,’ but we haven’t won a trophy at this club since 1969.”

“It’s very, very difficult. I have to try to look at the bigger picture – a bigger picture than the local media and some of our fans – but I also understand there’s an immediate world we live in.”

“Immediate results are important, and I can’t take my eye off that either.” “I can’t think about last year because this is a totally different group, with a completely different spirit and idealism.”

“I think we’ve got better, and we’re a stronger club than when I arrived, a lot stronger. I don’t know how else you can gauge it.”

Alan is right when he says if results will improve the fans will start laying off him a bit.

Pardew and all PL managers are in the results business, and if they don’t get the results they usually get fired, and that’s especially true now when Premier League clubs receive so much money from the league via the huge TV rights.

About half the PL managers were fired last season – and that is not going to get much better (meaning less firings) for those PL managers  who do not get the results this season.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Ethiotoon

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:38 AM

jail morning!
    I think tiote is fine. played full 90min in space of 3 or 4 days,w/ h is good for him bcoz it only makes him fitter as he has not played much after WC.
    I included obertan bcoz he was a regular starter in our famous 5th place finish and assist fair amount b4 warming the bench for a while.may be we need him now bcoz yoan looks lost at the moment.
    why u wish us to play bad 2morow?

• toonincheek

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:43 AM

The questions from the Press were so obviously drafted by NUFC PR Dept., especially the question about losing MYM and HBA.

The Press would certainly have posed the question more aggressively, asking AP, mainly in reference to MYM, why the squad had been weakened in central defence when he was already on record as saying a new CB was on the wanted list.

Instead, the question suggested the squad was NOT weakened and simply asked AP to confirm.
    Which he did, simply by saying “Correct”.

• toonincheek

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Ethio –

Tiote cannot have been fully match fit for the international games.

And – he has played TWO games in the space of a few days.
    Plus the travelling.
    He MUST be k-nackered.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Mag52,
    No disrespect to Ethitoon, but if you look forward to reading someones posts simply because you like what they say no matter how wrong they are then what is the point of coming on here.

• Ethiotoon

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Mag52..me too!

• firebug666

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:50 AM

toonincheek

The man is a loathsome creature, he hides away until forced out of his hole to meet the media for his press conference, (something he cannot avoid) answerers some pre- approved questions, Tries to set himself up as the injured party looking for sympathy, ( the fans are on my back sooner than expected etc,) then slithers back of to his hole until matchday.

The creature needs putting down out of kindness.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Anyway, who the fcuk has asked him whay hasn’t he won a trophy, lets start with the odd game now and then Alan, the mad fcuker is seriously deluded. He’s wearing that second longest serving like a badge of honour, what a fully blown 100% cretin.
    Ethiotoon,
    Because I want him and his fat greedy boss out of here.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:53 AM

This guy is something else! I cannot stand him any longer. It’s not about winning a trophy you scumbag! It’s about our results over 2 years and your general record. It’s about your touchline behaviour. It’s about your not needed cosy attitude to Ashley. It’s about your excuses and lies.

Of course we’re in better shape than we were when you arrived you tosser we’ve had 4 years of rebuilding from relegation and even then we’re lower in the league than we were at this point 4 years ago so arguably we aren’t anyway!

• Ethiotoon

Sep 12, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Firebugg.. ur hatred against the mgr looks personal,
    not football related.like catchy!!

• firebug666

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Ethiotoon

I have been a fan of Newcastle United for over 40 years mate, Damn right I take it personally when an idiot take control of my club, and installs the most inept, cretinous thing on the planet as manager.

Your support is from a distance, my support is on the doorstep more or less, When we lose badly you can sit back in your armchair, take a deep breath and say Ah well we may win next time. I on the other hand have a weeks worth of ribbing and bantering from the makems to contend with because the inept creature (that you appear to love) has embarrassed my club yet again. This has been the same way for years now…..Personal? You bet it is.

• banjax

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Totally disagree with AP comments. Supporters have never been so miserable and AP has tarnished our great club’s reputation and image with his foul language and thuggish behaviour. Then we have the lack of ambition in competing for silverware – so things have improved?

• mecannylad

Sep 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Firebug 666
    You are very right sir highlighting the geography of being a supporter.
    It is hell for all of us having to suffer as we are doing …but to live and breath the suffering on the doorstep …. I suppose its like constantly being at the bedside of a dying relative as opposed to being closetted thousands of miles away (like the editor of this blog for example)

• Sav

Sep 12, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I’m just praying the Scots vote YESSSS to Mike Ashley, who sells up, ships out and lets us get on with the rest of our lives. Oh, and please don’t have the Chronicle turn to Fat Freddie for the inevitable easy quote about him putting a consortium together. We should be thinking of who would take it on.