Newcastle Manager Confident Of Good Season Ahead

You can never accuse Alan Pardew of not being positive,  and in his press conference on Thursday and in interviews since then, he has come across as believing Newcastle will have a good season, once our new players have settled down and got to grips with life in the Premier League.

papiss cisse stoke penalty

Papiss Cisse – could be important player for Newcastle this season

One thing we seem to lack this season is enough goalscorers to get us some goals, but Pardew thinks we have enough fire power up front to be able to win Premier League games:

“I think we have goals in the team,”  “I think we’ve got enough goals in this team to win Premier League games, and I think we have enough in this group to have a good season. If I didn’t say that, you’d call me a madman, but I actually do think we have enough.”

Emmanuel Riviere has looked a decent striker so far this season, and he’s physical enough to be a success at Newcastle, although he’s been isolated far too much up front,  in his first few games for the club.

We also have Papiss Cisse coming back in a couple of weeks to full training, and that should help, and when Ryan Taylor is fit he can provide some threat from free kicks just outside the box.

We have Spanish U21 forward Ayoze Perez, Argentine on loan striker Facundo Ferrerya, England U20 International Rolando Aarons (currently out injured) and local lad 17 year-old Adam Armstrong, who could have some goals in them this season.

But three of those are youngsters and it’s hard to rely on youngsters still leaning their trade to provide goals in the Premier League.

And it was a huge blow to the side when we lost Siem de Jong for four months with that thigh (groin?) injury of his, and he had promised to offer a goal threat up front in pre-season.

Since he’s out until the new year, others will have to step up to the plate, starting today at Southampton, and score some goals for us, otherwise we could be in trouble by the time Christmas rolls around.

We hope we will be in decent shape in the league by the time the new year rolls around.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• hibbit

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:34 AM

we are not

• Lew Davies

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Self deluded clown
    “I think we have goals in the team,” “I think we’ve got enough goals in this team to win Premier League games, and I think we have enough in this group to have a good season.”
    Really Alan REALLY ❓

• Lew Davies

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Any one else praying for saints to score us an own goal or two today.

• Bambams

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Taking what ash has said about not selling the club until end of next season at the earliest, well thats obviously a lie…… so I would not be surprised if he is already negotiating a deal now.

As for Pards….He knows he is away either way. Bet he feels great now.

I honestly believe Ash, Pards, Stone etc were all happy to toe the line, nice earner, wind their necks in and get nice little payouts when ash flies off with his millions.

wish I was younger, then at least I may have had a chance to see us win something !

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 13, 2014 at 8:52 AM

From the same manager who played Cisse as a winger for half a season and helped to ruin his confidence with no device.

Deluded.

• mecannylad

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM

I wonder what Pardew is thinking as he looks at himself in the mirror this morning.
    I frankly think that he is shitting himself.

• Mag52

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Jail and Tsunki.

Just catching up with previous threads.
    Not guilty to the two suggestions that I am the late lamented Bills son and absolutely that I have never been an Ashley supporter.
    On the subject of protest, what about a short sharp chant “SD OUT !” That could hit him where he’s vulnerable.

• NUFC-0180

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:18 AM

2 points in 3 games aint all that bad guys;

13 Sunderland 2
    14 Man Utd 2
    15 Leicester 2
    16 Newcastle 2
    17 Everton 2
    18 West Brom 2

• Toon-Prodigy

Sep 13, 2014 at 9:22 AM

What are peoples formations and starting line ups today then? I think Siem is going to be a huge miss over the next four months.

Who can offer us a great threat going forward right now? It’s all a bit of a calamity.

Gouffran dosn’t look like scoring many this season at all. Works hard but lacks the composed finish when he gets into positions.

Riviere is needing time to adapt and to be honest he dosn’t look suited to be playing as a loan striker. And I think Cisse will struggle too. The pair of them I worry are going to be far from prolific this season.

Cabella also needs time, looks lightweight. Tricky and looks OK but needs time.

Sissoko dosn’t score enough. Im hoping this lad has a big season. But then he will probably be sold as usual.

I think we are missing the main player, a cabaye type player. The main lynch pin that can win games, thread a killer pass, smash in a free kick, score goals. The main player who makes it all tick and spreads that confidence around. Siem was ours but now he is out for four months. We have struggled because he hasn’t been fit yet for us.

Looking around that squad I worry. There is no one to grab the game by the scruff of the neck, no leadership.

This is because of Ashleys model of filling the squad full of cheap imports and then having to let them gel when we should be prepared and bring one or two in each window. Not an overhaul. Letting one or two go at the same time as you bring them in is the way forward.

The whole system has so many flaws its no surpise we are struggling on the field.

But, as we always do, we put money and profit first and foremost before making intelligent football decisions. It ain’t no surprise. It’s another pathetic mid-table season through the lack of depth.

Already Arrons is out 3-4 weeks.
    De Jong 4 months.
    Tiote is unfit.
    Santon is out for another 2 months.
    Cisse is going to need time after that his bad injury.

We need goal scorers and players to step up quickly. I just don’t fancy any of them right now to do it.

I hope we win today regardless. But dear me, we are far from looking a great team. There just isn’t alot of quality up top for me.