This Man Would Jump At Chance To Manage Newcastle

Journal columnist Don Hutchison talked yesterday about Tim Sherwood being very interested in the Newcastle manager job, should it become available in the near future, and Alan Pardew is fired.

tim sherwood

Tim Sherwood – would jump at chance of managing Magpies
Who wouldn’t?

This is what Don Hutchison said in the Journal yesterday:

“I was working with Tim Sherwood and Andy Townsend on punditry duties on Saturday with access to all of the games and I had to rub my eyes in disbelief at what was going on in the Newcastle game.”

“Big defeats haven’t exactly been rare in 2014 but I think with everything riding on a successful start to the season, that was arguably the worst of the lot.”

“When it went to two I turned to Andy and said: “If they go down three or four-nil I think he’s a dead man walking.” And I turned to Tim as said “You’d jump at the chance to take that job wouldn’t you?” Tim’s reply was: “Not half”.

“I know Alan is still in the job but if he loses it, I actually think that would be a good fit for Newcastle. Tim would go in there with Les Ferdinand, who is a Newcastle legend and could tell you everything you need to know about that club.”

“And they would try and play the right way: attacking football.”

Having Les Ferdinand back at the club would be good, but we’re not sure another Londoner would be welcomed by Newcastle fans, and in our poll Tim is bottom of the voting with just 6%.

Who Should Be Newcastle's Next Manager

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

But there will be a lot of managers interested in the Newcastle job should it become available,  and we think Mike Ashley would appoint a British manager.

Since the six managers that have served under Ashley are all English – Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer, Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew – he is unlikely to want to bring in a non-British boss.

And as Ajax manager Frank de Boer pointed out in the summer, when he was linked with the Spurs job, both Tottenham and Newcastle are sleeping giants in the Premier League.

But Tottenham are more awake than Newcastle at the moment, and the Magpies are unlikely to wake up just as long as Mike Ashley is the owner of the club,  with his (very) limited ambitions for Newcastle United.

Wonder when Mike Ashley will leave Newcastle, who he seems to have under hostage?

He certainly has the papers under hostage,  having banned five of them in the last year, for reporting stories he didn’t particularly like.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• catchy in norway

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:43 AM

ED

come on get a grip man

• Markaccus

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Hooray.

we’re saved.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Ed,
    Please could you add a ‘none of the above’ option to your poll and see how many votes Moyes and co get then?

• catchy in norway

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Catchy,
    Massive difference between players stopping playing for a manager, and what we saw on Saturday which was players just stopping playing. Even just playing for professional and personal pride seemed to have gone out the window, and that never should.

Di Matteo took over after AVB left Chelsea, and while RDM may have won the Champions league, his league record was much worse than AVB’s.

Again, at Spurs, Sherwoods record was worse than AVB’s

I don’t think they stopped playing on Saturday, I think this is his style, 42% ov his losses since jan this year have 3 or more goals, that suggests to me the problem isn’t so much a player problem but a training ground one,
    what is he doing to stop this,

I can tell you, they focus even more on defending, pulling the team in tighter, his philosophy is strength in numbers, not attack is the best for of defence,

and regardless of what has been said by so called experts, this has got to affect the players confidence, every other week getting beat by 3 or more goals , trying to carry out the manager’s plans

it sucks

I fully agree on Sherwood and RDM , I don’t think they are good managers

• Markaccus

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Lil

Agree. I only voted Moyes because i would want the others even less.

• catchy in norway

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Sep 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM

fantastic idea,

start the poll again with none of the above, you will have a different result,

• Markaccus

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM

And in fact, that poll shows that most fans (51%) DO NOT want moyes. If we are being picky 😀

• catchy in norway

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Markaccus

lmao

no excuse, he would be way down on my list
    very poor manager.

the only time I think everton were good was when tim cahill played for them

• Markaccus

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Lil/catchy

I think you would be talking at least 80% voting ‘none of the above”!

• Markaccus

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Catchy

I agree that he is poor. I just think he is the least poor from that list. It’s like voting for the best method to have your testicles ripped off.

• catchy in norway

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Markaccus //

I have not voted, but for me the best on the list is pulis.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Catchy,
    Howay man. You think the players on Saturday played with any personal pride??

Of course a lot of the problems are from the manager very few would argue against that. But the lack of effort and commitment was way more then just not playing for the manager.

We have all seen teams play when they have lost confidence in the manager, and that wasn’t it. That was lacklustre, lazy, insipid, gutless and effortless.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Markaccus/Catchy,
    I think most who have voted have just voted for the least deplorable option. All of them would be at best a marginal improvement, but far closer to a side step then moving forward.

80% sounds about right, possibly even higher I’d guess!

• sweendog

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:58 AM

ED that’s some list of failed managers .. I Wish for de boer but who we’ll get is either Pardew or one of these numpties .. sad days

• Markaccus

Sep 16, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Catchy

ah well, i simply hate Pulis. He is the biggest moaner going. I dont think palace were that good last year, and i cant bannish memories of his stoke side. Urgh. Like i say, its like torture either way, hopefully we get niether.

• firebug666

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Lilongwe Geordie

Let’s face it they were a long way away from even reaching lacklustre, at least if it were a lacklustre performance it would have been performance.

From the very start the team just did not want to be there, 11 kids would have given better. You have to wonder what the hell the inept one said to them before the game.

• Markaccus

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM

However, i might concede that Pulis is still a fractional upgrade on Pardew (it pains me to even credit him that much) but Pardew has utterly lost it.

• deeps

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I’m currently in 2nd place in the Newcastle United fantasy league
    Wohoo 😀

• optimistic prime

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I thought if I got really drunk yesterday I’d wake up today with a rosey outlook.

That didn’t work.

I haven’t voted on any of the manager poles yet as like you’s say none of the above (brewsters millions 🙂 )

I fancied Ashley would drag this out as long as possible, not to get best man for the job as it’s times like we are having now which gets SD even more coverage than usual. I suspect he’ll get ten games at least but more likely until just before Xmas.

• Markaccus

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Lil/firebug

Pardew has given up. Its rubbing off on the players. They gave up last season and its carried on. Yes, they should certainly be more professional about it, but i think that the ones who have been here longer have had almost all the fight kicked out of them. For right or wrong, we need to change that somehow. And we are pretty much agreed on that ‘somehow’

• Rotonda heights

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Given our disastrous English manager appointments to date, you’d think Ash would welcome a fresh continental approach.

The pro pardew people cite SDJ and Aarons as injuries but in pardew’s system, if you can call it one, SDJ was invisible when he did play and Aarons is just a wild card kid at the moment.

Where did this rumour come from that AP was paid up front by Ash and therefore can’t walk away. Might explain a few things, if true.

• SmileyFace

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM

‘Since the six managers that have served under Ashley are all English – Sam Allardyce, Kevin Keegan, Joe Kinnear, Alan Shearer, Chris Hughton and Alan Pardew – he is unlikely to want to bring in a non-British boss’

Except Joe Kinnear is Irish.

• WestOzMag

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM

one word RELEGATION

• Rotonda heights

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Since when was chris hughton english?

• SmileyFace

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM

‘Rotonda heights // Sep 16, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Since when was chris hughton english?’

He is actually English, but represented the Republic of Ireland through his heritage.

• benjohnsen

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I don’t understand why people want Moyes if they want attacking football. Haven’t people read what ex players says about Moyes. He play hoofball and just want the ball out on the flank to hit them inside 16. That’s sit. He is not a solution to are problem, just a side step. I would welcome a young manager like Tim Sherwood at this time.

• musomag

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Ed you are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with this shite

• Roger

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I wish SIR ALEC as our next Manager.

• Kris

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Want to see this team against Hull
    Krul
    Janmaat, Taylor, Colo, Haidara
    Tiote, Colback, Sissoko
    Cabella, Riviere, Sammy/Perez

• Kris

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Or even Obertan on one of the wing. We can’t continue playing a side that are just loosing.

• Sav

Sep 16, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Rather have Clarky than Sherwood. More experience and a passionate Toon fan we can trust.

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:16 AM

obviously Ed wants Moyes so he’s set him up against 4 bad choices to get this result

• thevirus

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Do t want another smarmy looking cockney in charge so I hope this is a non starter

• Munster Mag

Sep 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM

What happened about hatemorlovehim’s meeting last nite? Was it all a spoof?

• davis_toons

Sep 16, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Andy Townsend for me is a good pundit and he does quite a lot of good assessments.

It will be great if Newcastle can get him on broad for a role in assessment of the team to assist any manager.