Jonas Receives Good Advice From Super Star

As we expected former Newcastle great Bob Moncur – who has twice fought cancer himself – has sent words of encouragement to Jonas Gutierrez, who we found out yesterday was suffering from testicular cancer, which unfortunately has already spread to other parts of his body.

bobby-moncur-32

Bob Moncur – has fought cancer twice himself

There has been an outpouring of support for Jonas since he reveled his cancer and the support will certainly help him fight the disease in the months ahead.

This is what Bob Moncur has said this to  the Shields Gazette:

“He’s a great character, and I wish him a speedy recovery,” “When you find out you have cancer, it’s soul destroying.” “But you get on with it, and Jonas is a very positive type of bloke.”

“My message, in football terms, would be to keep running at the full-back and taking him on. The more times you run at him, the better you’re chances of beating him.

“I hope he gets well soon.”  “I’m an example to Jonas – I’m still here, touch wood.” “Cancer’s had two goes at me – my colon and oesophagus.”

“It’s all about catching it at the right time.” “When I heard I had cancer, I wanted to hit somebody. I had no idea how to handle it, but you learn more about it, and I’ve got to say the treatment I had was fantastic.”

Those are great words of experience coming from Bob –  and the worst thing you can do is feel sorry for yourself – that never helps anything.

Jonas Gutierrez must have been (positively) overwhelmed by all the support he has received with messages of support to his Twitter account, and this is what he has tweeted:

“Thanks for all the messages. Always looking forward.”

Going through the fight with cancer can be terrifying, or soul-destroying as Bob points out, but it can also change your perspective on life, and in that way it can even become a positive experience – as surprising as that may sound to some people.

It’s good that both Moncur and Jonas himself are (very) positive people.

I can tell you from my own experience that being positive is a lot better than being negative, when you have to face this kind of adversity.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• lesh

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Despite the goings on at the club, I’m sure all fans are united in wishing Jonas a speedy and permanent recovery.

Off thread and matters relatively more mundane, as Solskjaer seems to have come to the end of the road with Cardiff, it appears that Pulis is the bookies favourite to succeed him.

Now if and it’s a big if, Patdew is shown the door, it looks as though his ready made and available successor won’t be available to us.

That’s Ashley, why do today what you can put off ’til tomorrow!

• Average_Contents

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Lesh

Here’s hoping Cardiff “snap up” the anti-football king so it’s one less to worry about if indeed parsnip gets the boot! 😀

• Go toon gooooo

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Great post.Truly.Hands down.

• Average_Contents

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I’ve a feeling that mark(ass) will be crying into his cornflakes at the thought that his preferred choice might be off the market soon!

• 70TWO

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Markaccus 🙂

• lochinvar

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Bobby’s words ring true – however Jonas will currently be somewhat preoccupied with his treatment regimes – the enormity of his illness is also likely to hit home in his thoughts later on so we should let him know on an ongoing basis ( some weeks/months later ) that he has our support. Something Ed can relate to I’m sure – so make a diary note to send messages not just today but over the next few months.

• lochinvar

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:24 AM

If Pullis goes to Cardiff and Sherwood goes to Moscow does that leave us with Solksjaer ?
    How about another poll Ed – updated to include a wider list of potential Managers ?
    And for that matter how about a separate poll on the best coaches ?

• Average_Contents

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Can’t remember who suggested it but maybe ed could do what he did when hairdryer suffered at the hands of mcmanamon.

Wasn’t it like an e-card with well wishes and messages of support. Get on it ed. Well done whoever suggested it too.

• lesh

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Wowee Average_Contents, you’re bright eyed and bushy-tailed this morning. Time for your medicine methinks – assuming your carer’s sobered up yet.

Mine hasn’t, she (I think)’s still snoring so loud it’s scaring the horses!

Sweet dreams.

😉

• catchy in norway

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM

bob may be a toon legend , but he knows where his break is buttered ,

the guy refuses to see the real problems at the club , and seems to live by the old pals act amongst pro footballers

I have very little respect for the guys opinions footballing wise

but it is nice for him to give advice to jonas on this matter

• Our Toon

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Lads I know he has enough money as a footballer, but we could set up a collection for this in Jonas name and then have a poll as to where best to distribute the money:

A) Creating more awareness

B) To the Hospital he’s getting treatment at

C) To help in assisting with research and cures.

What do you lads think? If you think of any alternatives that would be fantastic

• Our Toon

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Before ppl start that first sentence is supposed to be sarcasm with the mistreatment he’s had from the club

• 70TWO

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:37 AM

In an attempt to inject some positivity in to the expected result, in the last three matches Hull have drawn two and lost the same as us. In the previous match the performance rating for NUFC (away) was 5.95 and Hull (home) 7.6 which you would equal out being played at SJP. Hulls opponents played more poorly but were still able to score. Hulls attacking threat comes mainly from crosses which should not expose our lack of speed in defence.

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:41 AM

AC

I believe over time me and you have managed to become civil and friendly to each other…. however, if you ever suggest i have anything other than total contempt and disgust re The Welsh One Who Will Not Be Named, i will hunt you down and kill you, slowly, painfully and violently with blunt rusty implements 😀

• John Tudor

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:51 AM

a lolly pop stick will do just get shot of his ineptness

• Average_Contents

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Mark

I wasn’t on about welshspunktrumpetgeordie so take it back 😉

You did say not long ago you’d take him for a season though 😀 thus letting your tony pul…..I can’t even finish his name such is the feeling of sickness at the mere mention of it.

Lesh

I don’t require a carer at the age of 32. I can still remember what pills to take and when to take them, for now anyway. Does yours wipe your chin for you?

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:00 AM

AC

No. It was Mecanny who said something about him coming due to timing of the cup game v palace, and i suggested i maybe could deal with it as long as he fcuked off at the end of the season. I would REALLY rather anyone else than Pu… Plo…..Piloupsplsspsl… no i cant do it either….. I have an idea…..Lets NEVER speak of this again 😀

• martoon

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Re Jonas – I wish him all the best but it is very difficult to comment without sounding like a heartless b*st*rd. However assuming we are still paying his wages I don’t understand why people think we should be paying his medical bill also? I know my current employer certainly wouldn’t in fact they would probably stop paying me full pay after about 3 months!

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Martoon

Morning…. Its usual for football clubs to pick up medical bills for their players. So i believe anyway.
    NUFC dont seem to follow ‘usual’ things though 😀

• Average_Contents

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Mark

No. I say let’s mention it all the time, at every opportunity until you take it back or you admit you like him lol 😉

You did agree for a season and that would be a season to long.

Ok let’s not mention it as I’m feeling quite vomity now 😀

• mecannylad

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM

It’s all very well the Toon Army psyching themselves up for a vociferous protest this Saturday.
    The wall of noise we are hoping for, in reality will come principally from the Leazes, the Gallowgate and the East Stand ….. hundreds of yards from from their intended target.
    What we really need is significant ‘in your face’ protests from those in the Miburn Stand closer to the t**t. Loud enough and nasty enough to send shivers down his spine.
    Can you honestly see the mutant ones … the prawn sandwich brigade … doing that? I can’t.
    This will be the protest’s ‘achilles heel’ in my opinion.

• toonbrother

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Hope we get a win for jonas but with colocinni in defence a clean sheet is a stretch
    Hopefully the return of tiote should help compensate for having one of the worst central defenders in living history in our team

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:10 AM

AC

If it’s any consolation i sat in the shower fully clothed crying for 3 hours afterwards.

• Neil

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM

not sure if anyone else has had this idea but a minutes applause on minute 18 for Jonas could be fitting?

Just an idea

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Steven Taylor. Boumsong. Bramble. Cacapa.

Theres four in my life time who never reached anything like the level of Colccini at his best (a couple of seasons ago) Colo is by no means near the best we have had, but no way is he one of the worst.

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Neil

Our Toon suggested Spiderman Masks too, for the 18th min. Something should happen deffo.

• Average_Contents

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Mark

So you should of. No sympathy from me
    😉

Are we still on about pul….or the Welsh troll 😀

• Average_Contents

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Seen a couple of toon pages mention the spiderman mask. Good idea imo.

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:19 AM

”losing aarons and Siem de jong were blows. particularly mentally.”

so pardew excuse is a blows to one player who just made the step up to the first team and hasn’t started for us while the other played about 1 and 1/2 games for us and did practically nothing.

when will his excuses ever end……

• Neil

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Markaccus – yeah agreed something should happen as he’s been a solid, whilst unspectacular, performer for us and we should definitely do something on minute 18. I haven’t been monitoring the blog as much recently as I’m so fed up with the club as a whole. I’m taking my boy to his first match on Saturday (It was planned weeks ago!!) so I am hoping the atmosphere doesn’t scare him away forever.

• Average_Contents

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Anyway

It’s time for my nap….looks like Lesh is already taking his.

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Micky Adams has quit managing Port Vale. Another one on Ashleys list becomes available 😉

• John Tudor

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

ac u mean matt fay

• mecannylad

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM

The irony of our plight is troubling me.
    We need to lose on Saturday in order to help us take a step forwrd for the future.

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM

AC

Actually the crying helped. Cleared my mind.

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:23 AM

No newcastle striker have scored since March 22.
    It’s now middle of september.

Incredible statistics….

• hibbit

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

mecannylad at the cardiff game the milburn stand were on his back so much so they put stewards at the back of the dug out as shown on sky

• Markaccus

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Neil

yeah i hope he still enjoys it. It isn’t fair for the kids to be dragged into the politics of it. When they are old enough to understand, they can make thier own minds up. Lloks like Pardews days are numbered now either way, so i hope they get a win for your lad.

• mecannylad

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Can anyone name a manager in British football who has actually survived and gone on to satisfactorily recover a situation such as we will be creating this weekend?

• martoon

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Morning Markaccus – I would have thought clubs pick up the tab for football related injuries but not personal ones – but I’m only assuming.
    Neil @30 – My wife and I are ST holders and I must admit I am a little concerned about taking her on Saturday – the atmosphere will be awful.