Basic Problem – Not Scoring Enough – Conceding Too Many

Newcastle have had a weak defense for at least two seasons now, but one mistake the powers that be at Newcastle have made is to not strengthen the back line, and consequently it’s still a weakness,  and we have already conceded 9 goals in the first four games, the most of any club in the Premier League,  and we are in 20th place with a goal difference of -6 – which is also the worst in the league.

alan pardew cardiff 99

Alan Pardew – not scoring enough – conceding too many

So you could say we haven’t made a good start this season, and since we lost seven of our last eight league games last season, in the last 12 league games we have just 5 points out of a possible 36, we have lose nine of those games, and failed to score in eight of those games. 🙁

We needed to increase our goal scoring prowess too over the summer, but early signs are that we haven’t done that either.

Last week’s team that was taken apart against Southampton was probably the best team Pardew could field given the players available, and he was asked whether he would change his side for the visit of Hull today:

“I am not going to say, but you’re right, people are focusing on the fact we are not scoring,” “But we have conceded seven goals in two Premier League games.”

“We have to make sure it is right for Saturday.” “We have got to give ourselves a platform.”

Here is the side we would field this afternoon, and it shows three changes from the side that lost at St. Mary’s with Williamson, Anita and Gouffran all being benched.

Krul
Janmaat Taylor (S) Coloccini (c) Haidara
Colback Tiote
Cabella Sissoko Perez
Riviere
Subs: Elliot, Williamson, Anita, Ameobi, Obertan, Armstrong, Gouffran

It’s going to be interesting to see what team Pardew will start today – and we should know that at about 2:00 pm today.

What team would you start today?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Transfer Sage

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Anyone can see the problems, it’s about putting then right. We have a shockingly poor defence so think a lot of managers might struggle with that but out lack of organisation in the team makes it so much worse

• John Tudor

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:32 AM

dont matter what we would pick
    old thicko dont know his arse from his elbow

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:33 AM

There is simple no chance that gouffran will be dropped.

• John Tudor

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM

a new manager would need to search the scrap heap or put the younguns in coz what we have is shit

• Markaccus

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:34 AM

No no no. We should NOT feild that side today.
    We should be using 442 or 433. 4231 ISNT WORKING.

• NUFCJackW

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Repost

I know that it is off topic, but this is my take on the pundits opinions on Pardew.
    In my opinion pundits have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to the fans feelings; especialy when it is against a manager… They say ‘ “he needs time” ‘ Oh sorry.. Did Ronald Koeman need time when his Southampton side-which fielded what? About 6 new players, more than us- on the day they smashed us 4-0. No, he didnt. Does that take a good manager. Of course it does, and i believe Koeman has done a good job so far, and what? He has been their a couple of months. He is already taking Southampton forward where Pardew has taken us backwards.
    Anyway… Back to the pundits !! They honestly believe we need to give Pardew time.. What time ? He has been with us 4 YEARS and he has still made no posative imapct despite the season which we finished 5th. Which, by the way, was with shite management. I.e, Cisse’s wonder goals, Lucky 1-0 wins etc etc.. The point is Newcastle fans are fed up with Pardew, i really dont see how pundits can sit there and suggest we are being unfair. As far as im concerned we are sick of the shite excuses week in week out, the dreadful football displayed and the terrible man management which has concluded in HBA leaving and others like Yanga and Marveaux. Thus leaving us with a small squad for the season ahead. Well done Alan. Now get you’re pay check and F**k off!

• stan anderson

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Think he needs to look at the figures since he has been in charge of the club,always been bad apart from the 5th place where we were still sh-t to watch and were lucky with injuries etc.

• Hatem's better than Messi

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:37 AM

What a rubbish team … weak bench … buy cheap all the time and you get crap like Gouffran, Obertan et al.

I can’t see where the goals will come from … I think we scraped the bottom of the strikers’ barrel this summer.

Bring back Shola !

• optimistic prime

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Just managed to get a ticket for today 🙂

Today will be a good day.

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Canny side that Ed it will give some side a good thrashing when it gels hopefully against Hull today

• Pottz

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM

That’s a good selection Ed. Considering the players we have.

We have to be realistic here with regards to our attacking and CB options, they are terrible.

Our only other CB options are Saylor and Dummet!! God help us!!

No proven goalscorer in the squad!!!

To compound matters we have a manager who is clueless and frightened to death of the home fans.

The clear result of this mess is relegation, in fact at this rate we could be well on our way to the championship by early New Year.

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Team for today
    —————Krul——————
    Jammatt Taylor Collo Hadaira

Sissoko Colback Tiote CaBella

——– Riviere ——-Armstong

4-4-Feckin-2
    Get goal machine Armstrong up there with his pace and Riveire’s power could be a good combination. Be a bit more direct and turn Hull around with balls over the top.

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

A word of warning to any ticket holders– the banner wavers are the target of the knuckleheads today not polis horses- the toon at all costs lads – don’t go to the bogs alone – the stewards will not help you. Leave wives girlfriends and bairns at home today as it is going to get real nasty

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

what

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Team for today 4-4-2
    Krul
    Jammatt, Collo, Taylor, Hadaria
    Sissoko, Colback, Tiote, Cabella
    Rivere, Armstrong

• the ledge

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Bring the lad from forset back from loan he is a hell of a lot better than the 3 clowns in central defense we have

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Haha alright Jeff.

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:49 AM

That team will beat Hull today. Go for it with 2 forwards, might take some pressure off the back line.

• catchy in norway

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I got a feeling
    That tonight’s gonna be a good night
    That tonight’s gonna be a good night
    That tonight’s gonna be a good, good night

Tonight’s the night,
    Let’s live it up
    I got my money,
    Let’s spend it up
    Go out and smash it
    Like oh my God
    Jump off that sofa,
    Let’s get, get off

I know that we’ll have a ball
    If we get down and go out and just lose it all
    I feel stressed out, I wanna let it go
    Let’s go way out spaced out
    And losing all control

• Blofal

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Given what has happened so far I would play Perez and Armstrong up front today. Both have something to prove. Shame we have no other CB options though!!

I would bench Gouffran and Cabella after last weeks performances. This is the team I want to see. And I want to see them go for it.

Janmaat – Taylor – Colo – Haidara
    Obertan- Tiote – Sissoko – Colback
    —–Armstrong – Perez

Bench: Elliot, Riviere, Anita, Cabella, Gouffran, Williamson, Ameobi

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Jeff

I don’t think it will be that bad like.

• NUFCJackW

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Decent team selection Ed. The only thing i would do is to change the formation to one which uses two up front. The 4-2-3-1 formation gas not worked thus far, therefore two up top is needed. None of our strikers available are lone strikers.

• NUFCJackW

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

gas = has

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Blofal

Not a bad shout. I only hope he does play players that might score, even if they are young.

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I think Rivere might be more effective if he had someone up there with him

• Transfer Sage

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I’d like to see the usual back 4 (no other choice) with a mid 4 of tiote, Colback and Anita with cabella the top of a diamond behind Perez and rivière.

Perez has looked a real bright spark with his link up play in games.

• NUFCJackW

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

What about Sammy for Gouffran ? This is Sammy’s make or break season so he will go all out, as will obertan for Cabella.

• hibbit

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM

jeff what a load of bull go back under the bridge troll what clown

• NUFCJackW

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Score predictions lads ?

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM

“we’re doomed!” should rename this forum `Private James Frazer `s homepage`

• catchy in norway

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:56 AM

3-0 hull

• Pottz

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

If Alan Pardew is to be sacked, a new manager has got a hell of a job on his hands having to work with with those CB’s and the rest of the lightweight squad.

The way the club is organised and run, I think we are going to struggle to recruit anyone half decent.

It beggars belief that Pardew and Carr couldn’t identify 2 CB’s who are an upgrade on what we have already.

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Something to think about

I’ve heard a lot of Toon supporters over the last few months saying things like ‘It’s never been this bad in all my 40 years of supporting the club’. Or similar statements to that.

Well that is not true. I’ve been supporting the Toon for 30 years after going to my first game when I was 10. Believe me we were poor back then, there weren’t many fans either. Yes I know people are hacked off with the clubs lack of ambition, I am to, but we are in fact much better off than we were years ago.

• hibbit

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

jeff from pennywell fcuk off clown we dont need pricks like you

• NUFCJackW

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

If we play with one up top, 0-2 hull.
    If we play with two up top, 2-2.

• nico

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

2-1 to Toon

• optimistic prime

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Jeff

Not sure about you but I’ve always been adverse to making friends in the gents bogs.

• hibbit

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM

nico at lest we tried never great but got to cup finals and had a bit of a lift but no hope now

• optimistic prime

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:03 AM

My brother in law is in the Hull side and I’ve managed to get him and his pals to get stuff to take in to 🙂

My sis and nephew are taking posters in as will I and my pals.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Nico

I’m only mid 20s so don’t go as far back as you but what I think is different now is not so much ambition (anyone can say they are ambitious but plenty times before we simply weren’t) it’s the almost public acknowledgment of the lack of ambition and the way Ashley has tried to disconnect the club from the fans through his actions.

I don’t like pardew as person, he seems to be a kiss ass (made sense at first as needed a job but after being 5th he should have put his foot down more, get what he needed or protect his reputation when we struggle) instead he kept kissing ass and now he hasn’t got the backing anymore.

1 2 3 6