Ben Arfa Reveals What Happened On Last Day Of Transfer Window

Hatem Ben Arfa will be back at St. James’ Park today, but he will not be in the 18 man Hull City squad, but he will be at the game, and this morning he has given a (very) long interview with the Yorkshire Post,  where he reveals some things that happened that allowed him to sign on at Hull on a season long loan, almost two hours after the transfer window had closed.

hatem ben arfa hull

Ben Arfa – after signing a loan deal at Hull City

It’s hardly surprising that the 27 year-old French International is now in much better spirits at Hull than he was at Newcastle in his final few months, where he was basically ostracized and made to train with the Newcastle Reserves squad,  after a big falling out with manager Alan Pardew.

This is what Ben Arfa has told the Yorkshire Post today:

“I am very happy to be at Hull,” “I have made my debut against West Ham last Monday and training has gone very well. My fitness was one of the first things I spoke to Steve Bruce about when I signed and I have a program. It is helping me improve.”

“There is also a very good atmosphere in this football club. We feel like a family. And the spirit is good, like the staff and the players are all together. That is good for the season.”

“The staff talk a lot with the players. They laugh and enjoy being with us. It means every morning I enjoy coming into the training ground.”

“We didn’t have a lot of time and I got lost on the way to sign,”  “But I was told if I signed a piece of paper before 11pm, that would get us two hours’ more.” “I had to get to a hotel where I could get the fax and sign it.”

“If I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have been able to sign.” “I can’t remember the hotel’s name but it was next to the train station in York.” “They didn’t know who I was. I was panicking a bit in my mind – I had already signed for Hull.” “

Because my English isn’t brilliant, the manager (Bruce) was on the telephone so I handed it to the man at the hotel.” “He couldn’t believe Steve Bruce was on the telephone.”

“He helped us a lot. Hull sent something to the hotel, I signed it and then the hotel sent it back to Hull. From there, I went to Hull to sign the contract.”

“It is very nice of Steve Bruce to bring me to Hull,” he said. “It is very important when a manager wants you. It was good to hear that he wanted to sign me.

“Being at Newcastle was hard because I was training with the reserves. When I know the manager wants me, that is the most important thing. It is a good thing for me. I hope we can now do a good job together.”

“I will go to the game at Newcastle, of course I will,” he said. “But I will have to remember to turn left coming out of the tunnel and not right.”

“To go back to St James’ Park against Newcastle will be very strange. But that is life. I enjoyed myself in Newcastle and going to the left out of the tunnel will be strange.”

“Sometimes, in my room I remember how excited I was to play at St James’ Park in front of that crowd. But that is life sometimes, you have to leave and change club. Football is like that.”

“Going back to St James’ Park, I will be emotional. Of course, 1,000 per cent. Now, though, that story is finished. I have a new story, I am at Hull and very happy to be at Hull.”

“I won’t be able to play today but I will be there supporting my team and hoping we can get a result for Hull.” “I can’t help my team on the field because I can’t play. But the most important thing will be getting the three points for Hull City.”

It’s a sad state of affairs when a manager falls out with one of his most gifted players, who is also a popular player.

Both men are responsible for what happened – it takes two to tango – but we think Pardew made the mistake of letting it get too personal with the Frenchman, who we know can be a difficult player to manage.

What happened with Ben Arfa on that last day of the transfer window has done nothing to help Alan Pardew’s case at Newcastle, and it’s just one of the reasons the fans have galvanized and turned against him in a big way.

We can only hope Newcastle can somehow win this game today, but another defeat and things will become even worse on Tyneside.

That’s hard to even imagine. 🙁

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:40 AM

shocking….

I will not support the team under this terrorist hold up of Ashley and Pardew. PPL are completely delusional if they think Pardew will be sacked. He won’t and if he will somebody like Carver will come in.

Nobody wants to work for a bafoon like Ashley.

KK was right aaaaalllll along.

• gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola)

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I really want hull to beat us….

healthier club, mindset, manager, everything. We deserve nothing but to get relegated.

Plain simple stark truth.

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM

So Pardew was telling the truth .He came back from the summer in disgraceful condition for someone who is paid £32000 per week to stay fit.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Absolutely gutted he has left us. All because a prat can’t handle another star.

• catchy in norway

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:53 AM

what a nice guy

• the ledge

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Looking forward to today ,can’t wait to see that slimey parshites face ,come on the toon.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Jeff, the lad is training with the young players, and getting no match practice. What do you expect? Jonas already came out and publicly criticised the training intensity methods.

For a player to go against the grain like that, there’s is a lot more to add.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:58 AM

‘We have to do things the right way,’ Gutierrez told the Sunday People. ‘There were some things that went wrong last season, the training sessions for example.

‘They had no intensity. Our training sessions were really light and then we suffered in matches.

‘The senior players, including me, have talked with Pardew as we wanted changes. Let’s see if the training sessions change this season and have more intensity.’

– Jonas

—–

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 20, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I predict that Bruce will have chinned HBA out of sheer frustration before next summer.
    HBA is lucky he is not playing. Colo would have done him big time – remember Ba for Chelsea
    A word of warning- the banner holders are the target of the knuckledraggers- the toon at all costs lads – don’t go to the bogs alone – the stewards will not help you. Leave wives girlfriends and bairns at home today it is going to get real nasty

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:00 AM

‘Another sh*t string to his sh*t bow’ Jim Lahey would say.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Well it’s confirmed officially 100% by HBA himself, he’s not coming back
    Let’s all move on with our lives, get Pardew out and move on

• catchy in norway

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM

jeff

it’s idiots like you why we will never amount to anything ,

good luck with your job at macdonalds

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Those remarks by Jonas were made during the Europa season when the coaches were trying to reduce the impact of travelling and extra games

• ganiyu

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Ben arfa is a terrible player that nufc should forget about. I cannot see hull city beating Newcastle today as they are rubbish if you compare our quality to their quantity of average squad…we are getting our first win today.

• NUFC-0180

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:35 AM

HBA will never change, lazy and will put a shift in when he feels like it,

Please he is not coming back, he will be back in France next season!

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Phenomenal player on his day and the most exciting player I’ve had the pleasure in seeing in the black and white stripes since Shearer.

We have lost a real talent in HBA. It’s sad and it sickens me it has come to this..both Pardew and HBA have to blame but I edge the blame on Pardew as he has clearly taken it personal and shot himself in the foot.

I can’t stand the man anymore..before this he was already on my nerves and after the transfer window I only want him to leave or get fired.

He does not deserve to be our manager and is miles below what we should have and deserve in that regard.

If Ashley will finally install a quality manager in his absence even on a shoe string budget is highly doubtful but something that could work wonders for this team.

Sadly I don’t believe Ashley has learnt a valuable lesson in all of this and he will employ another below average manager to run things.

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Ben Arfa always found himself behind Obertan, mainly I’m guessing because Pardew wanted to prove his own personal ability at signing players was superior to Graham Carr’s. The only time he claimed right wing was when we played 4-3-3 (the only time we ever played good attacking football) and even then he only got in the team due to Obertan playing dismal got injured & the fact he was probably the best player in the league for a few months. As soon as he had one bad game he was demoted again.

Here is his toon record in the premier league
    played 4494 minutes (equal to 50 games of 90 minutes)
    scored 13
    assists 13 (so he creates a goal every 2 games)
    as well as winning at least 5 penalties

Here is Obertans
    2035 minutes (equal to 23 games)
    scored 1
    assists 7 (creates a goal every 3 games)

Pardew thinks Obertan covers the left back & he does come back to defence to try to get the ball as he struggles upfront where he has no space or time on the ball. If Obertan is playing almost like a wing back then it allows the oppositions winger to concentrate on attacking and their full back to get up and help. Pardew doesn’t realise if our wingers are causing hell by constantly running at defenders then the other team will be needing to track back and play two fullbacks. We shouldn’t put ourselves on the back foot. Sissoko & Gouff play like wingbacks too and offer little going forward. Our two defensive midfielders offer little going forward. We rely purely on Cabella or Riviere to produce magic. Other teams see this and commit men forward not having to worry about our 2 attacking players.

• NZGeordieviaAfrica

Sep 20, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Ohh wee Lilongwe now ain’t that just the truth! So lucky Ben Arfa isn’t playing because he wily have probably scored a hatrick !