The Players Climbed A Mountain Today – They Were Magnificent

It was an amazing finish to the game today, when Newcastle were 2-0 down after 72 minutes,  and there were calls for Alan Pardew to finally be fired as the Newcastle manager – but nobody told Papiss Cisse that – who came on as a substitute after 69 minutes after Hull had just gone 2-0 up.

alan pardew today

Alan Pardew – at the game today – was on the sidelines

On came Papiss for his first appearance since he broke his knee-cap in April, and it’s not stretching it too much to say he was simply brilliant and scored two great opportunist goals to rescue Newcastle from another defeat,  and probably save Alan Pardew’s job – well at least for a week.

This is what a delighted Pardew told the BBC immediately after the game:

“We’ve had to climb a mountain. The players were magnificent for me, I have to thank them. It just goes to show, with Papiss Cisse’s celebration, football can bring you together.”

“I’m conscious of not making excuses because I’ve been accused of making excuses. I just want to do defend the team, but we were really good at times today and hopefully the fans can digest that.¨

“It’s not lost on me that I get accused of being arrogant,  but I’m also a proud man to be manager of this football club, and I’m going to fight to keep it. My team need to reflect that and I think they did today.¨

“Ironically, one or two people clapped me as I walked out and I thanked those couple of fans – it was only two. We need to win every game that we can at the moment to release some pressure.¨

¨And I just want to end this interview by thanking the players because I wouldn’t have liked to have played in that game.”

Hull City manager Steve Bruce said it felt like a loss, since they seemed to be home and dry after they went 2-0 up after 68 minutes.

And this almost seemed like a win for Newcastle, and will give us some hope that at least Papiss Cisse can score some goals for us,  when he is in the mood, although to be truthful – no other forward looked like scoring this afternoon.

All we now need from Papiss is the form he showed when he first arrived in January of 2012, when he scored 13 goals in his first 14 appearances and was magnificent.

And Papiss has already equalled his Premier League goals of last season, when it took him 24 appearances to score two goals – and he is also Newcastle’s top goalscorer this season.

All done in a short 21 minutes today – an unbelievable cameo appearance from the Senegal striker.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• sparky55

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM

FCUK OFF YOU SLIMEY COCKNEY NONCE

We were shite in that first half and got rescued by cisse.

No quality to speak of and no driving force in midfield pushing us on.

You can’t play 1 up front if there’s 20 metres between that man at the top and the midfield…it hasn’t worked for 4 years and won’t work now YOU FCUKING MUPPET

DO ONE YOU TW@T

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Well done Pardew. It was a very difficult game and you showed your strong character. The players fought for you.

I hope Ashley backs him with a quality CB in january. and for now we kick on and stop losing for a start and try to get atleast a draw for our next 2 games.

• cyprus

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Repost:
    Ciaran,
    Where you been mate? You are an intelligent man and you know that’s not what I mean. I’ll clarify: Can we do this more often means: Pressure all over the pitch; giving it all; dominating possession; over 25 attempts…
    Those two were wonder goals they scored. We should have won this hands down.

Still think AP isn’t the man to take us forward, btw.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM

34dazzler // Sep 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Please go back and read my comments. I have not praised pardew once on here.

People like you should not be allowed on the internet you cretin.

Also

Sorry Jb don’t meant to pick on you I just unfortunately used you as an example. Hope there’s no Ill feelings.

• dazzler

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

LGFUAD

Praise the manage for what exactly?

What part of today’s performance was better than the one against palace or villa? We sat back, conceded 2 then panicked. We were saved by a substitute just as we were at palace. We were at home against a team we should be picking up points from and got a solitary point.

So I ask again, we played the same as we did against the two previously mentioned teams, the results the same so in what way was today an improved performance?

Those that accuse others of being deluded tend to be equally delusional.

I would be happy to sit here and celebrate a win, but I am sat here disappointed in a draw, and the same performance I have seen for 9 months. That is our managers fault, he has had 9 months to turn things around and hasn’t. He has to go.

• JamesToon

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Can’t believe what pardew said,

“Cheicky said to me we’re just not gonna score, and i said, i’ll put papiss on and he’ll score” how the fcuk is this arrogant, cockney inept tw@ still our manager

• NUFCJackW

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I love toon

Sorry mate… But you are one deluded mother f**ker.

• JackButler

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

LGFUAD21

It was an improvement, but as for expecting us to turn into title contenders?

Hardly mate, I just want to see players fighting for the shirt and wearing it with pride and a manager and owner who actually give a rats arse about the club

• toonking

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

repost

ruddy
    did didn’t you watch the game?

we all want to see pardew sacked but why would ashley want to see him sacked when there these fans are going to demand he is sacked by showing SACK PARDEW.COM.

When i saw them pieces of paper i was thinking they were going anti SD but infact it looked more like they were fans of SD!
    so ashley is getting more SD advertising for free and i can see the papers tomorrow showing them.

so more reason ashley keeps him.

• JamesToon

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Agreed dazzler.
    This is paper over cracks for the next few games then.

• Ketsbaia9

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

West Ham could finish in the top 6 this season. Zarate, Valencia, Sakho, Carroll and Vaz Te are good options. Its definitely the best West Ham side I’ve seen in a while.

• toon kk

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Pardew is 50% of our problem the rest is simply we’re not good enough.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

38toonarmydownsouth // Sep 20, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Again I don’t think you are understanding me.

I’m talking about improvement and you acting as off we lost 4-0 again.

To suggest the players learnt nothing from last weeks horror show is pure ignorance.

• JackButler

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM

LGFUAD21

no ill feelings at all mate, we all have our opinions are entitled to post them, just because I don’t agree with what you say doesn’t mean I don’t understand and respect your view

HWTL 😀

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM

LGFUAD
    Why? Because after a complete and utter capitulation 7 days ago i expect Pardew to have the team well drilled and cut out the glaring errors that cost us 4 goals the week before

Think you could be more suited to supporting Durham
    Just saying of course

Oh btw, these aren’t issues he’s haas to address over night, he’s had since January to work on these problems
    But insists on the same formation, same players out of position, same tactics, same cautious approach

So please please tell me how 15 minutes of effective football, because the previous 75 were the same old, no intent, no cutting edge and no real idea of what we were supposed to be doing, count as an upward spiral?

How does wanting to see more commitment from the players, not just 15 minutes of rallying, make me more suited as a glory hunter?

Perhaps respond with the condescending attitude

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

8JackButler // Sep 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Is coming back from 2-0 down not fighting for the shirt.

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:07 PM

LGFUAD21 // Sep 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

ignore the fools who are just ignorant.

• thepict

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Very proud of the team and the way they battled . Should definitely won the match.

• toonking

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

kets

lets get big fat sam as manager

• dazzler

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

LGFUAD,

Ah name calling I see, excellent.

Nothing backs up a point like resorting to childish names.

And you didn’t answer my questions. Whether we should praise the manager or not, I can’t be arsed to trawl through previous posts to see what you actually said so I will take your word for that and apologise if I got that wrong.

You still defended our performance however, and I am interest to know what you thought was better today than villa or palace.

Try to keep the accusations of delusion to yourself and refrain from name calling though eh? 😉

• JackButler

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:09 PM

LGFUAD21

Yes it is, but it’s only happened today and not one single time this year.

As i said I’m not getting carried away with a point gained today as I’ve seen Pardew’s brand of football for far too long to know that the chances of him really turning this around are almost zero

• welshgeordie9

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Why is everybody on here arguing with each other on here.

Ffs

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM

LGFUAD
    Where oh where have i said lessons weren’t learnt?

Not once, anywhere, at any stage

But let’s not act like last weeks performance was a freak incident shall we, it’s a regular occurrence
    Is it not equally ignorant to ignore that every time we get routed the players and fans rally round say we need a result, we scrape one, say we have a platform to build on then go on to fall apart again?

If your happy going round in this circle good for you, but not wanting to stuck in this same identical rut doesn’t make fans glory hunters

Maybe it’s not you understanding the points

• dazzler

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM

The players refusing to join the pitch would have been an improvement from last week. But that doesn’t mean today was good, nor was it better than our previous games in the league.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Ilovetoon and thpict

Aye. Just don’t let the boo boys shout you down here.

Support the team not the regime.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM

23toonarmydownsouth

Again you are not hearing me correctly. You never did say that.

I am trying to explain that I’m am praising improvement not pardew. I’m also not suddenly in the belief that we are going to start winning every game.

But it seems that you have construed that from what I have said.

• JackButler

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Liverpools back four are making ours look like world beaters

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I think this is a very meager resurgence really. We played well today definitely but Hull were awful, really really awful, and we still couldn’t win. For me it will only be a matter of time until we collapse again though and the pressure will be on him again. Remember we haven’t won yet this season and we’ve played 4 of the easier fixtures.

• Harley

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Eh???

Why are people moaning about today’s performance?

We were good today, bossed the game and showed great character.

• Kamikaze Koala

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Support the team not regime! NEWSFLASH your are supporting the regime just to short sighted not to see it

• dazzler

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Harley,

Home draw against a team we should beat. We had large portions of possession and did nothing with it. We are still in the relegation zone. There’s a lot to whinge about.

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I’m done guys. See you next week when we smash stoke 3-0

(If you can’t tell guys I’m being facetious)

• daztoon

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Looks like Pardumb`s let his kids loose on their pc`s tonight

• ilovetoon8788

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

@harley

these people think there are only 8 premier league teams(the top 8 teams) and the rest are sunday league pub team and it’s our god given right to get all 3 points all day long.

no wonder people call us delusional. can’t even recognize and support the team when they fought back from 2 goals down against a very strong hull team in a very diffucult circumstance.

• toonking

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM

welsh

basically anything that isn’t negative is not considered acceptible.

prior to kick off i did some bets pridicting we would loose and no one seemed bothered.
    they didn’t seem bothered about it meaning saylor would be starting all these wanted was willo to be dropped.
    cisse scores two goals and was brought on as sub, but the fans seemed more happy if he were risked as a starter.

in my view things would have been better if we lost simple as that.
    me well i think ashley has got more and more fans accepting him

• Hannibal

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Watched the Pard’s interview on SS. I think we all forget sometimes he’s bloody human. Get behind the team the players obviously wanted it today which tells you something. If they wanted him out it would have been pretty easy to let it finish 0-2. We have no idea what goes on in that club but were supporters not pundits! support the players always!!!

• Sliema

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I can’t believe that some people now accept that a 2-2 home draw v Hull is an adequate result. This alone shows the damage MA am has done to the club. (Also shows just how gullible and suggestable our fan base is)

• LGFUAD21

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM

31dazzler // Sep 20, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Nobody should beat anyone. You have to earn it on the field.

That’s where your issue is. You are still under the impression that Newcastle have a divine right to the top quarter of the table.

A teams only as good as the current season. If you want to find out if we are better than hull then wait until the end of it and see how we fared against then home and away. Until that time it is pure ignorance to assume we are better and should beat them.

• Hannibal

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM

2-2 is not a good result considering that we now have away games at pretty tricky places to go. But if there was a split in the dressing room, or the players wanted him out today would have been the day to do it. But they fought back from 0-2!

• Mickalonius

Sep 20, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Today was not perfect but any comeback from 2-0 shows me that the team has some fight in it. Surely we can agree on that ?