Pardew To Players – Take The Criticism Or Leave The Club

Alan Pardew seemed a pleased man after the 2-2 draw against Hull City and it was the first time in the last three attempts in this fixture  that we didn’t lose the game.

alan pardew 2-2 hull

Alan Pardew cannot believe his luck as Cisse equalizes late in the game

We lost this game 3-2 last season after being 2-1 up at half time, and back in 2008, in the first game after Kevin Keegan had left the club we lost 2-1.

And that season turned out to be a relegation season for us, and before that game there had been demonstrations against Mike Ashley – who later agreed to try to sell the club.

Yesterday, there were organized demonstrations against the manager Pardew, but they didn’t come to much, probably because the lads were giving their all yesterday and showed a lot of heart, even when we were 2-0 down with less than 20 minutes to play.

After the game Alan Pardew made it clear you have to be able to put up with criticism at Newcastle:

“We set ourselves up for criticism at Southampton.. There are two things: either don’t handle it and don’t play for this football club, or handle it. We came through it here.”

“I have to say thank you to them for that. A big section took a neutral position. I don’t expect them to support me, but they took the view of loving their football club. I think we did enough on the pitch to win a few friends.”

The pressure on Alan Pardew was lifted a little bit yesterday, but a defeat in our next game at Stoke a week tomorrow night, will see the pressure back on, and there are still lots of fans who want him fired.

There will be demonstrations again at Stoke, and with it being a Monday night game, that’s what it will be all about – the SACK PARDEW campaign – the media just loves this stuff.

But on the positive side of things, some of our new players showed they are up for the fight on Tyneside, and their first few games for the club must have been difficult – especially for the younger players.

But as Alan Pardew has said, this is Newcastle, and it’s not easy to play for the club – unless you are strong mentally and can take the heat and the criticism.

The lads will be starting to realize that now, and also that it’s even more difficult for a manager, when things are not going well.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Alan, if you don’t start winning soon you’re out. Don’t dress it up. You need 6 points in the next 3 games or you’re in trouble.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Sunday supplement on sky are talking about pardew and Newcastle, some very fair and balanced views, get on sky sports 1 now or google Sunday supplement podcast later today/tomorrow.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:31 AM

To be honest I think his defence will see him sacked. It will continue to leak goals against any team and we won’t be able to score against everyone.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Take the criticism means you’re doing badly, so I guess pardew takes it, but it’s not really a good thing is it.

I just wish we didn’t always leave it to the last 15-20 mins or being a goal or 2 down to have a concerted sustained period of attacking play.

If we took it to teams from the off we wouldn’t be where we are.

Attacking play breeds confidence, containing and shutting up shop has the completely opposite effect.

• stuart no9

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:33 AM

really bad news when he s happy with a 2-2 draw at home to hull . not many managers would be, just shows how bad we have become under pardew , the big problem is – not pardew who is pleased, but the 1000,s of supporters who think we done well yesterday. we didnt do well- we done better than last week !

• Rotonda heights

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM

sage

I’ve never thought the fear of getting someone possibly worse is a good enough reason to keep someone who is failing so badly.

However, in the cold light of day the options of moyes, pulis or bruce hardly set the pulses racing.

Ironically FDB would be the low maintenance manager that ash craves yet I doubt ash has even heard of him!

• Transfer Sage

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Stuart

I think he’s more happy that we salvaged something after 2 freak goals as oppose to being happy with a draw.

As I said to catchy the other day, I feel outside the top 7 of last season all other teams are very similar in quality, not that much difference. Look at hulls line up, it was better than out in defence and in strikers.

• Go toon gooooo

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Now Parde needs to do 3 things.
    1.To put Vurnon Anita as a good right back replacement to Daryl Janmaat.
    2.Bring back Moussa Sissoko as a defensive midfielder not as a winger.
    3.Never ever think of Andy Carroll.
    If he complete this,Newcastle United will not suffer.

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I don’t think the protest was derailed by apathy at all, I think it has more to do with the Jonas issue and statements about negativity affecting the team.- if Sackpardew have anything about them they will continue unfazed . I am certain Pardew will uphold his end of the deal and deliver some more shocking results. Hang in there, he’s a dead man walking.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Rotonda

FDB would be a manager and ideally would do a job Ashley wanted and what the fans want, unless he’d want more to spend and more control if he moved from Ajax, might be waiting for a top job, not mid level job.

Also I don’t not want change out of fear, but I don’t expect the change to be anything exciting, maybe a bit better but long term nothing serious.

I also think moyes and pulis aren’t bad managers, moyes isn’t a man utd manager, them players are too big for him to deal with, didn’t have enough on his CV to earn respect and clearly didn’t impress them in training after working with Sir Alex. Pulis played exciting football with palace, solid but exciting when I watched them. Granted it was just the odd game and mainly highlights, but they were exciting

• stuart no9

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM

transfer—- did you see west hams effort yesterday? for a side that was one of the favs to go down ?? not bad eh?

• Transfer Sage

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Tsunki

Sack pardew need to focus on before and after game protests. People don’t really want to jeer and boo throughout the game, they want to back the team, and can’t blame people for that.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Stuart

They did very well, watched the game. But they got stuffed 3-1 off Southampton the week before. It just shows anything can happen in this league.

I’m not saying pardew is the right man for the job, but I stand by that we did well to come back from those two hammer blows yesterday.

• Dennis Twice

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Attack Toon attack attack!

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Before and after protests rarely get air time. It takes an awful lot of impetus and enthusiasm to motivate mass protests. We don’t know how many banners or cards were confiscated yet. But whatever the case, if the crowd are aware they can hold up banners and still cheer the lads on the pitch, then it might start rolling.

Having said that, if this team supports Pardew despite what he is doing to their careers, then I won’t feel sorry for them either.

• catchy in norway

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:53 AM

33catchy in norway // Sep 21, 2014 at 7:59 AM

very gutted

this was just a typical pardew game, not really going for anything until we have to , always lots of possession , passing it around MF and DF with out really going anywhere,

what people should look at is , hull were very poor on the day and still scored 2 against us, and even when we went 2 behind the chosen one still only played with one up front,

now don’t get me wrong , I love Cisse , and you will not find one negative comment on this blog or any other from me , I honestly believe the problem is the system he and any other of our forwards play in, they get very few chances in the 18 y box because they are the only ones in it for the best part of the match,

people we have 3 points from our opening games , that is not good enough ,
    hull and CP will be bottom half come the end of the season and we only got 1 point at home against each of them , and they scored first to force us to come out and play

yippee let’s all clap

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Main thing is I think the worst thing we can do as fans is to criticise the level of protest, especially if we weren’t involved ourselves. It does us no good at all to jeer our own efforts, a nation divided against itself so to speak. We should all see it as a start, Pardew has demonstrated he won’t get any better than this, so the issue remains.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM

TS,
    You clearly weren’t at the 1-0 win at SJP last season, was in the top three worst games of football I’ve ever seen.

• sparky55

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I watched Matt Le Tissier yesterday on sky suggesting the only way forward is not to turn up for games.

Problem with that is football means so much up here we will not sacrifice our bi-weekly pilgrimage to SJP…we’re not Southampton

We’re stuck between a rock and a hard place. 85% of us want him out, the manager and the owner know that, but they also know we will not stop coming to the games so revenues will not be affected and with most revenues now coming from sky, attendances could fall to 35,000 a week before it would become a problem so voting with our feet will not help put Pardew on the train back south.

The only two things that will put Pardew back on the train to London are

1. Fat boy Ashley buys Rangers as soon as it becomes apparent they’ll win the scottish first division the year and will therefore be back in the Scottish Premiership next year which opens up more PR opportunities for his empire

2. if the above doesn’t happen and it looks like we’re going down he’ll spend heavily again in January again and POSSIBLY replace him then…but only if he perceives Pardew has totally lost the dressing-room and only a new manager will keep us up.

There’s only one thing that means anything in his miserable fat b@st@rd life and it’s the well-being of his empire.

Don’t think for one second he cares about anything else.

• Jail for Ashley

Sep 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Tsunki,
    I was at the game yesterday and was very disappointed that the 85% that voted to get rid of him stayed very quiet, maybe it wasn’t apathy, maybe those 85% weren’t there, I do think that people realised how much trouble we’re in an stayed quiet for fear of upsetting the team, I just hope he doesn’t think he’s off the hook.

• catchy in norway

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Dummett

I’m not saying he is the answer or that I would have him in my team given the choice , but I can see at least 3 worse defenders on the pitch right now ,
    I don’t get why he is singled out , for his ability we get a solid performance , not spectacular but he works hard,

jaanmat , Dutch international , has been poor IMO
    Williamson cannot kick or head a ball
    colo is not interested
    goofy goes AWOL for full games
    sissoko is a headless chicken with no real purpose
    cabella does not defend or attack and just gets pushed off the ball to easy

why all the hate ? for dummett

• thepict

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Rotunda, where were your 200 banners?

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Actually catchy I don’t sense hate for Dummett at all. Just… Meh. he exemplifies Pardew’s model of a team worker. Shuts his mouth, runs about, and gets his place on match day.

• stuart no9

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

transfer — yeah we done relly well to get back into it.
    i never seen it coming i must admit, but , and a big but, we have to stop geting into those positions where w are chasing. ok we pulled it out the bag yesteday, but they wont do it all the time . another thng that worried me yesterday- did you get the feeling we were playing to our potential yesterday ??

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM

For all those still giving Pardew a ‘chance’ – are you really saying you will pay to watch the same as you have for the last two seasons? Why bother at all?

• catchy in norway

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM

tsunki

read the posts during the match 🙁

• Tsunki

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I did catchy – all it did was cement my opinion of the fickle nature of match time bloggers. I don’t comment during matches, I like to think about it and consider the whole picture first. Match time blogging is mostly knee jerk and clueless.

• sparky55

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM

What I don’t understand is Fat boy not recognising how much of a lift to the spirits of our squad will become apparent should Pardew be shown the door.

Only the likes of Dummet and Williamson (both rank amateur non-footballing grunts who would not get a game for anyone else in the premiership) would be disappointed to see the back of Pardew

Everyone else in that team was brought to the the club on footballing merits by a quality scout…and all have since been re-shaped and brow beaten into playing football totally foreign to the way they’ve been coached before they came to newcastle.

The emphasis under Pardew is always defence…His mantra being “Keep them out and we’ll try to nick one”…whereas the players natural footballing brain says “lets attack and keep the opposition on the back foot”

It’s all the mind-set of the coach and ours is so negative it wears the players down because the become miserable doing stuff that’s totally alien to them.

It’s the coach that needs to be changed…any half decent coach could get our squad playing like Southampton and is that too much to ask for the once great Newcastle????

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM

This is ridiculous coming from a man that was talking of an over ambitious Champions League place a few weeks ago;

Alan Pardew speaking after the match to the club’s own TV channel;

“They (Newcastle fans) are realistic and know we are not a top six club, I think they know that. We aint got the resources to do that.

“But seveth, eighth, ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelfth, whatever, we have got to challenge those positions and we’re not good enough to do that at the moment.

“That is why we are two all at home to Hull today but we’re getting better.

“We was really good today at times, against a good Hull team.

“I think Hull are going to finish close to the top ten, so we have proven we can play at this level where we need to be and therefore, we can grow with this result.”

• catchy in norway

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM

well I’m glad I only cemented when they scored

• mag92

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Yesterday the supporters showed that they are mostly behind Pardews attempts to ruin the club, with their wimpy protests failing big time.

• toonarmydownsouth

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM

@NUFCTheMag: Alan Pardew Admits Newcastle Not Good Enough To Challenge For 12th Or Higher #NUFC http://t.co/lC869Tt7LP

5 games in Pards and your already admitting defeat in your seasons objectives?
    This is why the man needs to go

• cyprus

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM

So, AP once more trying to dampen expectations… Like I said, he alone will be the master of his downfall.

Tsunki, would I pay to see most games? Well, no. Yesterday’s game? Hell yes. And my attendances cost about 500 pounds a shot, remember 🙂

• catchy in norway

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM

our challenge was to get a point at home to a team that will finish mid table
    that looked a very poor team on the day

am I right in thinking that we have to be at our best to pick up points against this type of team when we are at home ,

that that game last week was just a 1 off game ?

do I need remind everyone , in 2014 , 42% of all of our games have been lost with us conceding 3 or 4 goals

yesterday they scored 2 against us without trying to hard ,

me thinks all the hype got to Steve Bruce , and his team was to hyped

lmfao

• mag92

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Cisse the player Pardew pilloried for refusing to wear the Wonga shirt saves one of the worst management teams in football. Pardew lives to lose another few Newcastle United records with his inept football philosophy.

• The next Mike Williamson

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Just goes to show that the players are capable of attacking football (when Pardew is forced to play it) and can be motivated (for Jonas)

Yesterday was just a glimpse of what we could play like without Pardew’s hindrance.

• Average_Contents

Sep 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Firstly I’d like to apologise to LGFUAD for calling him a little kunt.

In my defense, throwing insults around to every blogger who disagreed with him by saying other toon supporters are clueless, there brain is unable to comprehend seeing the bigger picture of coming back from 0-2 down and basically saying they think like a mackem is of course going to get people’s backs up. To then accuse them of name calling after the fact is double standards, but I admit the little kunt was a step too far. I’m sure many posters who he insulted would agree with that.

My argument is: why be happy with a 2-2 draw?

It’s all well and good saying we fought back and yes it was good to see but to solely focus on that is wrong.

The reality is we shouldn’t of been 0-2 down in the first place at home to Hull.

This is compounded further by the fact we again played 4-2-3-1 comprising of 2 CDM’S and a lone striker who was offered very little support….at home….against hull. Just let that sink in. Defensive containment football against hull! It’s a disgrace.

I understand the need against the bigger teams but against the lesser teams it’s a joke. It’s the same for every match regardless of the opposition and starting to apply pressure after 70 minutes at 0-2 down is a hallmark of parsnips time here. Why not start from the off as you mean to go on? What’s so hard about going for it from the start?

Fear. That’s what. The fear of attacking, the fear of closing down high up the pitch and pressing the opposition, the fear of conceding. His inability to do anything different by changing tactics or bringing on subs before the 65-70 minute mark.

First and foremost it’s defend. That’s it. Don’t concede. But considering we are shite defensively just shows how clueless he is.

I’m not saying we have a divine right to win against hull, but surely even the most pessimistic football fan would agree, we should.

On a brighter note Liverpool are flailing around near us so that’s always good :-D. The difference being they can turn it around whereas we look incapable of doing so.

• catchy in norway

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Liverpool only did so well last season because of one player,

without him there just average,

• tequilamag

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Catchy you really come up wiyh some odd posts. Gerrard scored 13 last season Sterling 9 Sturridge 22.Suarez was the best striker in PL last seasn but to suggest he carried Liverpool is just wrong

• Go toon gooooo

Sep 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Too shy on the stadium about sacking.com.And Ashley was not too shy to tell everyone that Pardew will not be sacked even if Newcastle lose this match against Hull.