I Have Kept My Smile – I’m A Happy Man

Papiss Cisse talked after the game on Saturday and talked about what it’s like to be a Newcastle player – and he knows that you have to do your very best when wearing the famous black and white shirt – something that our new players are learning very quickly.

papiss cisse scores hull

Cisse being attacked by Gouffran after scoring equalizer

Papiss was the star on Saturday with two late goals, and he gave a number of interviews after the game, and his two goals may have saved Alan Pardew his Newcastle job – well at least for a week or so.

This is what Cisse said:

“It’s not like this was just about the manager and the fans, we are Newcastle players and if you’re on the pitch you have to try to do your best and I did,” “The manager said he needed me and I scored. He said as well that he thought I’d score. I just do my job.”

“It’s not pressure for me that the side have needed goals,” “I’m just happy. It’s just a case of going to play football and enjoying it. It’s been a long time out with injury but I have kept my smile all the time.”

“In training, I have been happy all the time. I’m just a happy man. I came back from injury, and scored two goals and gained one point for the team.”  “I think the team worked very, very hard.¨

¨If you see all the game, Newcastle did well and I’m just a happy man. Last year was very, very hard.”

Papiss has had a couple of poor seasons – by his standards – and last season he scored 4 goals in 26 appearances, and the season before that he scored 13 goals in 47 appearances, which included the Europa League games.

So he is due a good goal-scoring season, and if Papiss can recapture the form he showed when he first arrived at Newcastle,  then we could be in decent shape pretty quickly.

And if you watched the interviews he gave after the game on Saturday, it’s not surprising he’s so popular – he’s such a smashing lad and so positive too.

Papiss could become even more popular if he starts knocking those goals in for us in the next few weeks , we need some heros right now.

He did well enough on Saturday – that’s for sure. 😀

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• armchair fan

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Hopefully those smiles get us some points or he’s taking the Papiss

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Ourtoon,
    not sure you are talking about Cabella there. If yes, stats say differently. Up till last week, he was third in chances created (behind Barton, Hazard)…

• Our Toon

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Pawl

There is a reason why I question your footballing knowledge mate and this is why.

Chambers played 22 league games for Southampton last year not bad for a player that hardly featured. He has played in every Arsenal league game this season in both CB and RB positions

Shaw was a key player at LB, you have indicated that he can’t get in the team ahead of Blackett at man utd, Blackett is a CB and Shaw is a LB, Rojo currently occupies the LB spot and I think we can all agree that Rojo is a better player/athlete than Shaw who was unlucky to miss out with the injury he picked up.

Lambert had 2 good seasons with Southampton in the PL…for a club like them he was a key player.

Lovren certainly isn’t worth £25m but it makes me laugh when fans go on about 1 player not keeping clean sheets…..its about the defence and not 1 player so Liverpool who struggled defensively last season seem to have the same issues this season, you can blame the manager on that one.

As for Cabella working hard….don’t make me laugh, Palace 3rd goal was Cabella’s fault, he gave away the free kick and then failed to close down Zaha, against Southampton he lost the winger who crossed the ball for Southampton’s 1st goal, he lost him from the throw in as he was looking at the throw in taker rather than running with the guy he was supposed to be marking. It’s all good running around and trying to look busy but when the results are arguably worse than the “luxury HBA” it doesnt bode well.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Ed man, not sure how you decide to change threads, but when there’s a debate going it’s like you come in and say, ok lads, pub’s closing! If possible, switch when it’s ‘deadish’.

Congrats for the good work, btw.

• Our Toon

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Cyprus

I didnt think he had created much however I will take your word on that in regards to stats, I do feel he can contribute more though especially in front of goal. I would have thought Fabregas would have created the most chances though.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Got the stat from TV presenters so can’t confirm. In truth, he hasn’t set the league alight. Still, have high hopes.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Slank,
    I’d not pick Pele. He went into my bad books after he refused to sign my program at the Euro 96 Final when I was sat 2 rows behind him. Scumbag.

GoTooonGoo,
    Zaha couldn’t even get in the Cardiff side last season. Now he is warming the bench for Palace. I’d rather have nothing then him. HE may do well, but he needs to be in the Championship for a few years to actually be able to develop his talent.

Cyprus,
    We will see how he gets on with Cabbage heed. I think he will do okay for them as he is playing for his final big contract. That is why he wanted to stay in the Prem, more money if he does well. I’m not too fussed how he gets on, but it would be a shame for him to have wasted his entire career when he had the ability if not the brain or mentality to be an excellent player.

• Go toon gooooo

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Wonga and everything is possible.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Slank,
    Yes, Perez and Cabella should be able to unlock the defence. I’d like to see Arma start up top, possibly with those 2 in behind with Sammi. The 3 of them should be able to interchange position comfortably pulling the opposition all over the place. Arma needs game time or we shouldn’t be keeping him here. Get him on loan if he isn’t going to be used.

I guess we will get an idea of which squad players will feature by the lineup for the Under 21’s tonight. Unlikely any starting there will start on Wednesday.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Pleased for Cisse to get a couple of goals. Hopefully this isn’t another false dawn for him returning to form. He has played the lone striker throughout his career, so hopefully we can push the team higher to help create those opportunities for him.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Lil,

I read you. In fact, not sure HBA will actually do well there and I am his biggest fan, as you know. Too many years lost in the woods, he didn’t have the coach to take him to the Messi level. He was almost there, I think. Too late, maybe. Even Messi looks sluggish quite often these days… The 250 euro a week (not quite) APOEL defender had him in his pocket in the last CL game. So, Messi sucks!

(kidding)

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Cyprus,
    It is all in HBA’s hands. If he gets his head sorted and plays for the team more than for HBA then he can still go on to have a great final 4/5 years as a player. I’ve said before I hope he does, although I think he would have been better off going abroad. Portugal would have been an ideal destination for him. If Nani can look good there, then HBA can look class.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:53 PM

I think you guys will need to retract regarding Zaha. Will remember to eat my words if he fails. In my mind, there’s too much going for him there. As it stands, I’d swap him for many a player of ours, even though I’m not exactly a fan! Just think he’s much better than a lot we have here. e.g. how many ‘direct’ players can you name in our squad? – apart from Obertan that is..

kidding- again

• Toon Tang

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Who are we besmirching today than lads ??

• Mister Tuff

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:56 PM

The suggestion that all “professional” people are intelligent and make informed choices is absolutely ridiculous.
    By implication there lies in this suggestion that people who are not professional people make ill informed choices.
    Holding such views demonsrates an ovine mentality.

• Our Toon

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Mister Tuff

I agree with your comment….Makes you wonder why these intelligent people blame MA for all the troubles at the club but still spend money to attend games. Does that sound like an intelligent and informed person who makes sound decisions?

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Direct players, willing to take a man on. Like Waddle criticized us, not enough people saying “right, I’m coming straight at you”:

Santon, Sissoko, Cabella (hope he doesn’t lose confidence, he’s doing it less than his first game), Tiote maybe… Is that it? Help me here.

• Our Toon

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Martoon

I don’t get your comment you slated the fans on this forum by referring to them as keyboard warriors and then say that you hate this blog because of the name calling. I have friends who are also professionals but have the intelligence to know when they are being fleeced. As I said earlier the reason most attend SJP is because of selfish reasons and not for the greater good of the club…They do so because they don’t know what to do without match day, they’d be bored and just like clockwork they’ll complain the owner isn’t ambitious enough, however they won’t act to change the mindset for the better….sorry if the truth hurts buy sheep is what they are.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Ourtoon,
    Intelligent? Informed? Sound decisions? Not even politicians can do that mate. This is football. It’s not exactly rocket science 😉

• Markaccus

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Toon Tang

The extremists are besmirching the nore moderate fans just because there were no riots at sjp. These people calling others ‘sheep’ and blaming them for a lack of support in the sack pardew debate, are actually as bad, if not worse than Pardew himself. It’s their fault that pardew is still at the club, because they turn people off caring. Bunch of amateur politicians who think football is thr only important thing in thr world.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:09 PM

It’s these ‘renegate’ direct players who can ruin set ups, tactics. Hazard, Roben, HBA 😉 etc. These days, teams (ok, except NUFC) are well drilled and well organised. Those kind of players blow the whole thing apart. That’s why they are not a luxury at all in a team. Without them, even solid teams end up passing it sideways until they themselves are bored… Then, they hoof it!

• Go toon gooooo

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I’m happy with these two goals by Papiss but he simply can’t deliver this season with this squad of players and formation.In order for him to score goals Newcastle must buy another(but very speedy)striker like the other Demba was.But Ba is not here and strikers that are here can’t deliver speed like Ba did.You can’t wait assistance by Tiote every game and head assistance by Gouffran.That is rare.Frazier Campbell would be good replacement for Ba in order for Cisse to score goals.

• mag92

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Cisse in ten minutes has outscored Falcao, Balottelli, Sturridge and Welbeck and also managed to save gormless for the time being, not bad for a player returning from a serious injury.

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Go,
    I’m hoping Riviere will eventually do that Bellamy thing. If the real Papiss is back, that duo may flourish.

• Our Toon

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Markaccus

Is it alright for the likes of Martoon to refer to fans who on this blog that dont attend games as keyboard warriors…he also claims that intelligent people, professional people make informed decisions and that’s apparently what most attending SJP are these day.

Fans that complain about the shenanigans of an inept manager and a regime which clearly stops the club from reaching its potential in a financial capacity and then they complain it makes us uncompetitive both on and off the pitch….yet they fund the club by attending, what would you call them?

• catchy in norway

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:19 PM

at the end of the day , we are still bottom , while we pick up1 point others are picking up 3

so regardless what pardew syd about the result , it was a poor one

• cyprus

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Like Lee said, when we didn’t know what to do next, we’d give it to Ginola. He’d take care of it from there.

Who’s our Ginola these days?

• mag92

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Forget what Pardew said, stick him in front of a camera and he’ll talk a glass eye to sleep and never give you an answer.

• Mister Tuff

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:26 PM

the Percy/Ashley debate will to and fro until the next PL game -when we will (yet again) get our arses twanged.

I must have missed the bit about extremists wanting riots on Saturday – any links so I can read it up myself.

• Go toon gooooo

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:28 PM

cyprus
    I hope for the same also but up until now I think that Riviere is a good passer but not very speedy player.Bellamy was sprinter.But we must hope.We must hope.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Mark, rioting is for idiots. Voicing an opinion as to why we’re bottom of the league already and continue on a run of 5 wins out of 24 should not be perceived as causing trouble. It is standing up to an owner who is running the club for his own advertising exposure and hiring a proven underachiever in Pardew who has also delivered some of the worst performances I’ve ever seen, even with a host of internationally honoured players.

Pawl, were there not stewards on your turnstile? They were outside ours and everyone we saw and although they didn’t search us, I could see them visibly checking us up and down. I saw a picture which someone took on twitter of people trying to take the banners from people actually in the ground. Once again, the club lie and try to suppress the anger. A lot of the more positive vibes were most definitely about Jonas.

Jeff, the ground swell of opinion was that there would be a better protest than there was. As for the jelly legs comment I made, can you tell me the times when Pardew left his seat other than to head down the tunnel against Southampton? Glued.

You are backing a proven inept manager who has us firmly bottom of the league already.

Wake up.

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Stewards already attempting to remove the “sack pardew” banners. #nufc http://t.co/2sMeAQBvJZ

• Markaccus

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Our toon,LR32 and other militants…

Martoon is calling people that because they are blaming him and others for the state of the club. Calling people sheep et.c is not going to win you ANY support. As far as i am concerned, the extremists from both sides can get on with it. Pardew needs to be sacked, and i dont think it matters what reasons anyone has for wanting it, imo. Arguing the fine details instead of finding common ground is holding things up. Most intelligent people respond better to sense instead of “selfish zombie” and “sheep”. Its your attitude that is removing the United from nufc.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:42 PM

We are weak in wide areas, no good natural wide players so if do away with them, go for a 4-1-3-2 sort of set up.

Normal back 4, then have tiote holding with Colback and sissoko infront of him, then cabella more advanced of them supporting two strikers. I’d go cisse and Gouffran but happy for it to be cisse with any of out forwards, including Armstrong.

• Average_Contents

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Mark

I agree to a point but the only person really taking “united” out of Newcastle is the dictatorship run by fatty. The old tried and tested method of divide and conquer and he’s executing it to perfection, a bit like the rest of his “plans” for nufc.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM

To weigh into the debate…

From what I’ve seen cabella is a poor mans Ben arfa. Both like central roles but seem to be used wide, both can beat people, Ben arfa has a better shot on him, Ben arfa has a better then of pace and both are just as lazy at getting back, if anything I’ve seen Ben arfa get back more.

Obertan never tracks back properly and still gets a game, same with santon and he’s a defender.

For me Ben arfa musnt have got on with people and created a division, between himself and others, that’s the rumours I heard anyway. Nothing to do with his display in the pitch or training field.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Average

I agree, all problems stem from Ashley.

I don’t have anything but respect for both camps, those who just want to go to the game and cheer on the current team and those who stay away hoping to effect change and be able to go back and cheers on the next team after chubs is gone.

• Average_Contents

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:54 PM

TS

I agree mate you’ve touched on the diamond there.

Tiote

Sissoko colback

cabella

Cisse rivvy

That’s what I’d like to see.

Or 4-3-3

Sissoko Tiote colback

Rivvy cisse cabella

Why not give them a try. Far too attacking for parsnip but I think these two formations may work and their definitely more suited to our current players.

• Our Toon

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Markaccus

Sorry mate bit I don’t buy that at all, before I even commented today Martoon began his assault against the like of LR32 by referring to fans on this blog as keyboard warriors. As to the fans that I call sheep, it’s not offensive in my eyes, what else do you call something that will follow something blindly without taking steps to rectify the issues? A sheep does follow the flock without questions asked….The fans that attend complain but pay MA and fuelling his PR campaign for Mash Holdings to the detriment of the club we all love.

You make it sound worse when using words like extremists, it’s healthy for us to debate this but United we are not. I firmly believe most of those left attending do so out of blind faith and dress it up as supporting the club….however if asked why they attend most would reply that they’d miss the day out and gives them something to do on a Saturday, they’d miss the Saturday ritual….that’s not supporting the team that’s exactly what’s killing the club. A lot like the prawn sandwich brigade at man utd.

• martoon

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:58 PM

Our Toon – I didn’t think keyboard warrior was an offensive term but if you are offended by it I apologise. The point I am trying to make is there seems to be a big difference in attitude by people who post on social media such as this blog and those who attend matches. According to you it is because we are all selfish and sheep like – my point is that is extremely arrogant. Do you not think we can think for ourselves with our own opinions and views?

1 2 3 7