Why Patience at Newcastle Will Last Only So Long

There was news in the local papers yesterday that Alan Pardew has been in rather lengthy communications with owner Mike Ashley last week before the game against Hull on Saturday, and we suppose the result on Saturday was decent enough in the circumstances, although we really needed a win.

mike ashley keith bishop hull 2-2

PR man Keith Bishop on Mike Ashley’s right on Saturday

And it appears the Newcastle owner may be taking advice from PR and crisis management specialist and celebrity agent Keith Bishop, who was sitting next to Mike during Saturday’s game.

A Newcastle source told the Chronicle yesterday:

“The manager will get time to get it right and stability in the Premier League remains the priority.”

Unless we see players like Remy Cabella, Manu Riviere and others come through over the next few games, it will look as though the summer transfer was not as successful for Newcastle as some of us thought, although we have to be patient and give the players a chance to acclimatize.

But it certainly is looking like we are short of a recognized striker and a fourth center-back, after we allowed Yanga-Mbiwa to leave for Roma in the summer on a season long loan.

And while Jack Colback has fitted in very well in Newcastle’s central midfield, we have lost the creativity and goal scoring power of Yohan Cabaye, and the injury to Siem de Jong was a huge blow to the team.

When you consider we had Yohan, Loic Remy and Mathieu Debuchy in the side a year ago – we don’t seem to have replaced that talent this summer, which is why we could see some activity in the January transfer window, especially if we are close to the relegation area at that time.

The news is that Mike Ashley will not panic, which is why he’s probably seeking the assistance of Keith Bishop, and while that’s all well and good, what happens if the results don’t improve over the next three games or so?

WE cannot risk getting ourselves enmeshed in a relegation fight – which is the very last thing we need this season. 🙁

Ashley has shown he can be ruthless, and while patience may be the name of the game at the moment, that’s not going to last too long if Alan Pardew and his coaching team cannot turn things around fairly quickly.

Relegation would be a complete and utter disaster for Newcastle this season – and the more likely that becomes in the next few weeks will determine what action the owner will take.

The next few games are going to be absolutely crucial for Newcastle and for Alan Pardew – that’s for sure.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Rotonda heights

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Wayayman

I think a manager who preaches attacking football will always see and get the best out of their players.

It’s like a defensive batsman who allows the bowlers to totally dominate rather than taking it to them and removing the shackles.

Confidence comes from positive play. as a lack of does from negativity.

Although I can’t stick AP as a person I would have a lot more time for him as a manager if he consistently let our players off the leash not just for the last 15 mins when we’re always chasing a game.

• catchy in norway

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM

first sub tomorrow night

lb

lmao

• geordie157

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM

If west ham can play nice football then so can we, problem is pardew is too scared to attack teams from the kick off.

• Wayayman

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Rotunda, I agree.
    The problem is though, now it’s just too late for Pardew. This comes from the owner not understanding the mentality of (us) Geordies.
    I live in north London and have been down here for 20 yrs or more, I get back home as often as i can (I had a season ticket until my kids were born 11 yrs ago -and got back for a lot of games then) and I get to away games as well.
    Anyway, back to my point, people down here often say that Geordies are really friendly, much more so than say your average Londoner.
    Fom my experience though, we’re just very different in our approach – With Geordies (probably northerners in general actually) we always give people the benefit of the doubt from the off. That means any new person is welcomed, any ‘stranger’ is treated like a mate, we chat to people on the bus we’ve never met etc. Unless you prove that you’re a dick or cant be trusted, in which case you are done and there’s no coming back from it.

Londoners (or just southerners in general too) are the total opposite though, you’re though to be a dick or can’t be trusted until you prove otherwise, then you’re mates for life.

Ashley fails to get that, Pardew fails to get that. For that reason alone, Alan is done/

• martoon

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I have to say the team choice for tomorrow night is tricky – it needs to be a balance between playing a few fringe players while not weakening the team too much – I should imagine Palace will also make changes also.

• catchy in norway

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

wayaman

4 years to lose the trust proves it,

• Markaccus

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Wayayman

Thats an excellent post offering a completely different side to the argument. And it still ends with the conclision pardew is done!
    Honestly though i hadn’t even considdered those points before.

• Rotonda heights

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Wayayman

Excellent point. I now find myself domiciled down to Kent and you are bang on. People are more stand offish here and as you say anyone will talk to you up there and I found that in Dublin too.

• 70TWO

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM

A Monday night away at Stoke reminds me of a well drilled, 2-1 win we got not so long ago. On a chilly misty evening Ba led the line and the team pressured the ball all over the park, not giving their opponents any time on the ball. It was not pretty but impressive in its simplicity and showed a willingness and energy that has been missing for too long. Each individual knew their role in the team and they carried out to perfection, not even giving up after an equaliser. It was a quintessential Pardew performance, a text book reproduction of Mourinho and something to be proud of.

• martoon

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Rotonda & Wayayman – so what you are saying is the new manager needs to be an Irish Geordie 🙂

• John Tudor

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM

the new manager could be a west country martian for all i care

• mecannylad

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM

At the end of the day I simply ask myself ……
    …name any Premier League manager who has been under as much pressure as Pardew is under and has survived in his job to go on and ‘turn things around’
    I can’t think of one …… he must go based simply on that fact.

• jazzyp

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Ed how was a scraping a draw at home a decent enough result…….Care to explain please !!

• Wayayman

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Markaccus & Rotunda

Thanks. My kids (London born and bred, 9yr old girl and 11 yr boy) are both NUFC fans. My girl plays (and was scouted by Arsenal at 7) so does my son who is obsessed with NUFC. Totally and utterly obsessed. His mates all support successful teams, but he’s not bothered. Both wear their shirts almost every time they go out (thankfully my wife is understanding!) and their Newcastle family speak to them 3 or 4 times a week.
    My boy loves hearing about the Champions league days, the cup runs to Wembley, Keegans all or nothing assault on the league but it’s really sad to see his face after games like Southampton or (much worse) the mackems recently. He said to me after watching the Hull game that he was happy with Cisse, but it’s just a shame that we’re playing so badly that a draw against Hull felt like a win. Pretty insightful for an 11 yr old I though.

• catchy in norway

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM

ED is as high as pardew , he don’t need to explain

• Wayayman

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:32 AM

70TWO @9

Great result that was, but it was a looooong time ago. Did you see Cabella against Man Citeh i think it was, pressing like mad and putting them under from the off. Riviere was doing it too. I think it was Cabella though who looked around after a while and looked perplexed as to why the rest of his team were standing off. That just shows you how bad our coaching is. No cohesion. It also shows you how bad the team spirit has been. No one leading on the pitch until Tiote came back

• Toon Tang

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM

At the drop-down menu scroll down to ‘words and dictionaries’ Then click and go to ‘new word suggestion’

Don’t know if anyone’s done it yet but thought I should at least try and get the ball rolling on the term ‘PARDEWED’ being added to the dictionary.

I’ve just sent mine, we should try and get a load of people on it to force it through…

• Markaccus

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM

70two

I remember a similar game down there. It was televised, and Pardew, in what can only be described as one of his rare moments of clarity, managed to out-stoke stoke, and we thumped them 3-1. That was october 2011, i am pretty sure Pulis was in charge of stoke, and they were just a bunch of bludgeoning thugs. Thats why i would never want Pulis as a replacement, he hasn’t ever beaten pardew with any team while Pardew has been here, and has been owned tactically by pardee a couple of times. Thats not a good thing to have on your CV! 😀

• Our Toon

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Markaccus

Apology accepted mate, I also apologise if I offended anyone with the sheep reference. I agree it’s tough when kids are involved and finding that balance is difficult.

In my estate there’s a few young ones who play daily, out of 10 of these local born lads only 2 support Newcastle, 5 of them support Arsenal, 1 Sunderland fan and the other 2 support Citeh. When I asked them why not Newcastle except for the toon n mackem fans the others responded with Newcastle are boring to watch, they always lose. We are losing the younger generation to these clubs because of the policies of this regime.

These lads are aged between 11 and 16. My nephews both support Arsenal and so do his mates. In my estate we have more Arsenal fans than toon fans….i live in Durham and also Jesmond for during the week. At what point do we say enough is enough?

• Toon Tang

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Our Toon, I think you wanna have a stern word with the parents of these youths. Should be drilled in from birth I say. Arsenal supporter in Durham? you will be telling me their are ManU fans living in Manchester next…

• Markaccus

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Our toon

Ok, that is bad news. And of course enough is enough. I think match goers and non match goers and armchair supporters (me) all need to find a solution and a method of how to oust these numpties from our club.

Heres one. T-shirts. Arrange a day when anyone going to town can wear a t-shirt with Anti-SD comments.

The front says Ashley/pardew out.
    The back says something like “SD supports Child Labour” Hit him in the wallet. He doesnt give a fk about gate reciepts, because apparently they have been down since xmas and Pardew is still here.

• 70TWO

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM

At the moment the focus has got to be on trying to get a win in the next PL game, but as it is another 5 days away from the League Cup game should it really effect the team selection?

Cisse will certainly be an individual case to see how his injury reacts from the weekend but could possibly get another half an hour. Of the remaining senior players those that played in Internationals could be rested, but I am not sure who could replace Janmaat.

Of those potentially coming in I would expect to see Anita, Taylor and Obertan, but would also like to see Abeid and Perez given a start. With a back row of 4 central defenders and two holding midfielders you would hope CPalace will find it difficult to score. The front three have plenty of speed for counter attacking and it will be a good opportunity to see how well Abeid can distribute the ball from the base of the attacking diamond.

—————– Perez
    ——– Cabella —- Obertan
    –Colback — Abeid — Anita
    Dummett – Collo – Willo – Taylor
    —————- Elliot

• jazzyp

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Ourtoon
    Again mate that will always come down to an individual’s preference. Just because we are by all accounts going through some dark times at the moment doesn’t mean a fans support should waver .
    Put it this way mate if Newcastle were in a position like say Man city then all the young lads would be Geordie fans simply because of success, But does that not make certain people glory hunters who come out of the woodwork because they follow success rather than true loyality.
    Nobody supported Citeh before they transgressed to the higher echelons of the PL and were bought out by the Mansours.Now they are everywhere because they riding high at the top of the league.Take away that success and I truly believe them supporters would die away as would the club if Mansour pulled the plug much like Chelsea really

• catchy in norway

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:49 AM

3-0 defeat tomorrow

• Our Toon

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Markaccus

It is a shame, I agree we should come together and your idea is a good one with the t shirts. Rather than wearing a toon top match goers could wear the anti regime t shirts same with the pub watchers.

Disclaimer though: MA might cash in on this buy selling them through mash holdings…wouldn’t put it past him.

• 70TWO

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Markaccus @18

That is the match I was referring to, I was not sure if it was 2 or 3 goals but it was the whole scene and, as you say, out stoking Stoke. I don’t mind a defensive game plan but it also has to be balanced with getting the ball forward quickly (hoofball), or moving forward at pace in numbers with good incisive passing. I believe the latter is what Pardew was hoping he had been given for this season but IMO the pre-season was not successful at implementing a strategy of play.

• Our Toon

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Toon tang

I’ve had a word with my nephews I can’t with the lads that play on the street, my 2 nephews sat and watched the newcastle games with me and they supported the club, however what I didnt realise is that the crafty buggers were only doing so to please me, I caught them celebrating Arsenal goals against hull…They laughed and said sorry but look at the football they play.

I’ve tried but I can’t force them!!

• Our Toon

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Jazzy P

I get the citeh fans being glory supporters but what do you make of the youngsters who support Arsenal? Are they glory hunters?

These kids have no affiliation with our club because as a youngster you want to be entertained, you want to see goals and attacking football, the Arsenal supporting youngsters like them because of the way they play the game not because of success on the pitch. I think they only won a trophy after 7 years last season. My nephews have been supporting them since Henry days because he was there favourite player.

• Markaccus

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM

70Two

We have beaten them down there more recently 2-1 as well. So we may be thinking of two different games 😀
    Either way, its annoying. It has shown that occasionally, Pardew can find a way to attack. The 3-1 was some hoofball, but there was also som counter attack, and it wasnt as boring as a normal Pardew win, nor did it rely on wonder-strikes. With all that in mind, why in the name of fcuk can he not be more positive more often??? He just reverts to defending (badly) every time.

• toonicle

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Anyone know if there’s still tickets available for tomorrow night? Me and the new wife are in London on honeymoon and would love to make it to the game, we are heading up to Newcastle Saturday and have tickets for Stoke but I’d love to catch another game if we can.

• martoon

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Markaccus – the T-shirts are a good idea maybe sackpardew.com should take it on board. You can ban posters but you can’t stop people wearing T-shirts at the match.

• Our Toon

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Jazzy

We are also talking about kids here between 11 and 16 in my street that play outside and my nephews who are 16 and 18, future fans of our club being turned off by the lack of interest both off and on the pitch.

• Our Toon

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Martoon

I agree mate I think Markaccus should approach sackpardew.com and inform them of this idea.

• martoon

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM

toonicle @30 – Everybody is thinking this but I’ll ask you. On your honeymoon haven’t you better things you could be doing on a Wednesday evening? 🙂

• jazzyp

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Ourtoon

Your last line @27 hit the nail on the head bud. Im afraid ya cannot force kids to do what you want them to do. Most follow in there dad’s footsteps and follow suit clubwise.
    As I said in my last post if Nufc was riding high as Arsenal and Citeh are at the top of the league would the Kids be supporting foreign teams out of the area…..Probably not !!

• toonicle

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Martoon- hahaha there will still be plenty of time for nocturnal adventures when we return! Can only stay in bed for so long after all

• optimistic prime

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM

• Markaccus

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Ok. Will visit sackpardew.com and drop them a line. Question is, this idea targets ashley more than pardew so not sure if they would go along with it.
    On the plus side, somebody there may know how and where to print the shirts without crossing legal boundaries. Alternatively, everyone buys their own plain white Tshirt, and they can sell those iron on transfer things. Its just a basic idea atm, but i am sure there are more experienced people who could pick it up and help it grow.

• martoon

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM

toonicle – Seriously I would imagine at this late stage the only way would be to pay at the turnstiles – presumably the CP club website would tell you if you can do that but even then you may end up with the Palace supporters.
    I’ve been to the Palace ground a couple of times – it is a nice little ground and the fans enjoy thumping out ‘glad all over’ before the match starts.

• Markaccus

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM

OP

i bet the opponents were in red and white 😀