Armstrong – I Was A Bit Nervous But Two Assists Wasn’t Bad

Adam Armstrong has given a long interview on the Newcastle web-site today,  and he says he was a bit nervous for his first start ever for Newcastle United, but he’s been getting a lot of the headlines in the last day or two,  after he did so well for Newcastle and set up our first goal for Manu Riviere, and then the winner for Paul Dummett in extra time.

adam armstrong action shot

Adam Armstrong – had very good game for Newcastle

Manager Alan Pardew has praised his performance,  but Pardew is also wary that he must keep his head down and his feet firmly on the floor, and not get carried away by any early successes.

This is what Adam said on the Newcastle web-site::

I’ve supported Newcastle since I was a little kid so this means everything. My dad has taken me to games as a fan and has also watched all my matches.”

“He was there at Palace, and it was just amazing to pull on the shirt and play a part for the team, especially from the start.” “I got told on Tuesday morning that I would be starting,”

“I was so pleased to get the chance to show the manager what I can do, and hopefully I did that.” “We went to a hotel before the game and I couldn’t get to sleep because I was far too excited. I wanted to be out there straight away.”

“I was a bit nervous as well before the game, but I just kept telling myself it was just another game and to bring what I do in the U21s into the first team.”

“You’ve got to picture it that way and can’t get over-awed by it. The pressure is on you and you have to stay calm and keep your nerve.”

“Two assists wasn’t bad, I guess,” “For it to go to extra-time was really hard on the lads but we came through in the end and it was a great victory.”

“When they scored their equalizer, and then we went down to ten men soon after, it would have been easy to feel sorry for ourselves, but we kept our heads up, kept battling and got the goal we needed.”

“It shows our spirit. Everyone here is together, working as one to get results and I’m delighted we managed to do it.” “On a personal level, it’s all about chipping in for the team and hopefully next time I will be able to get a few goals.”

“It would be great to be involved against Manchester City in the next round. The Capital One Cup is great for young players like me to try and impress.”

Those are good words from the 17 year-old, and Adam is now likely to play some part in the game at Stoke City next Monday night, and that game will be televised live around the world.

It would be a good time for Adam to continue to show what he can do for this Newcastle side – and a win would be just great.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Laurent Robert 32

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Under better management and coaching I’m looking forward to what he can do.

• JamesToon

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I swear its getting so much more quieter on here

• jayphoto

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM

5 geordies in the team is great to see but gotta say probably only Taylor and Colback can challenge for first team atm and in Taylors case thats just because williamson is woeful!
    Armstrong should be coming off the bench! Hes so young, he shouldn’t be rushed!
    Remember seeing Dummet in scotland and he excelled as a centreback! Still think we’ve got the players for 3-5-2 as taylor and dummet are both confident in covering wide areas and janmaat and haidara/santon are better going forwards and could be wingbacks.

• jon.c

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM

LR32 be positive he will get the coaching needed if he has the ability to progress.

• expatmag

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Andy Carroll scenario here.

Loaned out in January. Club gets relegated.

Next season, scores 20 goals to get us back up and the season after, sold to Liverpool by xmas for 35 million quid….lol

• beermonkey

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:14 AM

james toon

it is

not really a lot left to say and you cant keep moanin about the same stuff before your bored
    and although palace was a a positive, I think we all know pardew will revert back to how we have played before

shame really
    and r

• beermonkey

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM

expat

if we go down who is gonna be here to get us back up
    most of the players will walk

• croftus5678

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:27 AM

we had a glimmer of hope against palace that our squad players can perform to a very decent standard and push for first team ! yes even obertan and sammy.

still think river plays too far back to be a lone striker imo and that the only player we have that can play in a 1 up front is cisse otherwise imo he has to play with 2 up front.

i’m not gonna lie i’m enjoying the no stress for yesterday and today untill the silly tactics from pards starts again !

maybe we will go on a winning run and start climbing up the table who knows.

• clinath@ed

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:30 AM

it’s getting hard to read the posts, never mind contribute.

• expatmag

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Beer

Guess Beardsley and the under 21s. They are top of the league, arent they….lol

• beermonkey

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:48 AM

expat

lol I forgot they are top of the league maybe a trophy is gonna come our way

croftus
    he can sometimes drift in and out of games but what has Sammy done wrong in the last year, the season we were in Europe he was poor but last season when called upon he did well specialy in the Chelsea match

if Aarons was fit he prob wouldn’t get a look in
    Sammy should be out onloan getting games

• Go toon gooooo

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Adam Armstrong has very bright midfielder future.Forget about his striking role.He is not it.

• JP...from The Rock

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:56 AM

I want Pardew to get replaced but in order for that to happen he has to lose games which is something I don’t want as it puts us as serious relegation candidates.

I can’t see a way Pardew will be shipped out unless we are already going down for relegation. Ashley will be too slow to chuck him out and then it would be too late.

Tough times ahead as Pardew remains clueless and doing the same mistakes.

• lesh

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Here we go, with all the spin and puff young Armstrong’s getting, he’ll be another Gazza alright – he’ll be soon sold to a ‘bigger club’ for a small fee.

We can look forward to him and Aaron’s being off very soon.

Short term greed, again on the horizon.

Watch this space

• expatmag

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Beer

Just a thought but i wouldnt mind seeing Sammy on the right, Aarons on the left, Cisse through the middle and Cabella in behind. Let the two youngsters run at their full backs and get the ball into the middle.

Of course, you would have to pick the opposition to play that system initially until they get a small run of games to impress.

• bobby mango

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I wonder if he could fill the role Pardew has planned for Siem.
    Obviously not completely building it round him but get the team used to playing in the set up Pardew envisages going forward.

• Transfer Sage

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Go toon

Why not a striker? Has a good shot on him, always played that role, scores goals, does the same for England under 19s. Everything about him screams striker.

• beermonkey

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM

lesh

I agree there they will take 5mill now rather 25 later

I hope they look at the like of rodwell Sinclair and others that have followed the cash to rich club and learn and go somewhere more suited to develop there talants

• Goofy

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Armstrong had a great game, he was everywhere against Palace. Most are saying he’s to young, if he’s good enough he’s old enough.
    He really got stuck in, has decent shot on him and got back to help defence. Defo 1 for the future but will probably be pushed out for someone with more experience who’s not as good, same pattern I’ve seen for as long as I remember, hopefully Aaron’s will not get the same treatment.
    Where is Curtis Good? Injured? On loan? I’d like to see this guy this season, heard a lot of good things about him.

• expatmag

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Goofy

Curtis Good has a serious hip injury incurred a month before the world cup whilst playing for Australia.

The Asian cup is being played in Australia in january and the Australian team manager yesterday said in the press over here that Good is only a 50/50 chance of being selected and involved.

I think we can basically write him off until february at least.

• beermonkey

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM

expat

why have the club not mentioned good and his injury
    I know the austrailian manager had a dig about how we looked after him but I didn’t realise the injury was so bad

• Mag52

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM

James Toon.

Make the most of the quiet time James.
    The hysterical anti dam will burst following our next defeat. Can’t you just sense it welling up ?

• mag92

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Hopefully Pardew doesn’t flog him to death and lets him develop properly.

• expatmag

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Beer

Why would you be surprised? When has the club remotely communicated with the fans?

• mag

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Pardews fond of messing players around.

• catchy in norway

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I like Cisse

BUT

every thing I have seen about ARMA tells me he should be in our team right now,
    he is hungry
    he has the ability

it annoys me to think sterling is only 19 and is talked about as the best kid in Europe right now for his age, but if he was at our club, regardless of talent he would be held back because of his age and goofy would still get a game before him

I really don’t care if we win or lose from now on, not until he is gone, then the team can shine

• beermonkey

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM

expat

very true there not a talkative bunch are they
    well there there quick enough to express there disgust with a paper before they ban them well except the sun who seem to say what they like cos they bung the club a few bob

• mag92

Sep 26, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Pardews strutting around like a peacock at the minute, his twice strikers are starting two discover their form and he’ll record his first win of the season on Monday against Stoke City.

• cyprus

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM

On the other hand, I must admit that I haven’t seen any Sterling performances by Arma, not yet. Hope he comes through…
    I too want AP to go, despite the fact that I feel a little sorry for him, though I shouldn’t 🙂 Don’t worry, AP out diehards, I felt the same for Ghadafi. He had to go, but when the lynching came, well I felt for him…
    Now, I DON’T want us to be rock bottom when he leaves, I don’t want the new manager to have to climb a huge mountain. Our previous transition (Hughton) was when we were sitting prettily in tenth, and this guy came in to take us to the next level 😉

• Mag52

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Mag92.

Good ! We need the points, don’t we ?

• expatmag

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I cannot see us winning at Stoke or Swansea. He can strut all he wants as long as it is 300 miles south.

• Toon Tang

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:27 PM

That awkward moment when your eyes start leaking gripe water…

• Toon Tang

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Mag52 v’s Mag 92 , I wonder who would come out the victor?

• Toon Tang

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Youthful agility v’s experienced veteran.

Its a tough one to call..

• Toon Tang

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Return of the blog killer..

…Needlessly and brutally murdering blogs since ’10

• Goofy

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:35 PM

No back up CB’s, can see Pardew breaking another record this season, most goals conceded in a season not just at club but probably EPL. I want Pardew gone but FCB fcuked that one up by not getting in a strong, fast known CB.

• Markaccus

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Mag92 is 40 points ahead theres no coming back from that.

• Toon Tang

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Mark, he will need a monumental slip similar to our ’12 points clear’ season eh

• dazzler

Sep 26, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I can see a draw at Stoke, and in truth I would be happy with that away from home. I do see Stoke wanting revenge after last season though, so they will go for it.

After Palace I hope Armstrong, Sammy & Obertan get a decent run out. They’ve earned it. I would say Abeid should be starting too after his performance, but I presume he’s banned for his red?