Hughes – The Way To Take Pressure Off Is To Win

Stoke City manager Mark Hughes has had a couple of tough reigns in his time as a manager, and one such period was at Manchester City for eighteen months from the summer of 2008, and a then at QPR he lasted less than a year, after being appointed to the London club in January of 2012.

mark hughes stoke

Mark Hughes – wins take the pressure off

So Mark will know what Alan Pardew is currently going through at Newcastle, and we still have to get out first win on the board.

This is what Mark has said before Newcastle take on Stoke at the Britannia Stadium tonight:

”A lot of people don’t know the reason why certain things have occurred or why there hasn’t been a good performance.”

”There are always other things people outside the immediate group don’t know about, and you know yourself you can’t go out and say, ‘well, these are the reasons’.”

”So you have to protect yourself, your position and your club sometimes from situations and sometimes that’s to the detriment of yourself.”

”It’s not easy because there is more focus on you as a club and you, as the figurehead in terms of football. It goes with the territory and you have to deal with it.”

”The focus on big clubs is always there and the only way you can deal with it, to take that focus off you as a manager, is by winning football matches and if you don’t there is a negative focus.”

Tonight’s game is almost a must-win game for Alan Pardew, and we have only 3 points from our first 5 league games, and when you couple that with just 5 wins and one draw on our last 20 league games last season, after beating a nine man Stoke side 5-1 at St. James’ Park, the pressure is definitely on the Newcastle manager.

That’s just 19 points from the last 75 points played for in the league – and that’s just 29 points for a 38 game season – certain relegation

Note – we managed to get this wrong earlier this morning – it’s been updated and we think (hope) this is now accurate. 😀

But it’s still not good enough, especially when we brought in so many new players this summer.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• lesh

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Great words from Hughes that should make Pardew and the lads feel much more relaxed and errr, produce free-flowing confident football.

• geordie157

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Hoping to see a riviere and Armstrong partnership tonight, with cisse coming on with twenty mins to go.

Is Janmaat fit? If not think I’d rather chance Saylor there instead of Anita or dummett.

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM

None of us is privy to what has passed between Ashley and Pardew but an indicator will be APs selection for tonight If it has a look of desperation about it then Ashley was telling the truth at the Golden Lion If its just an away point grabbing team then we will know that AP has more breathing space

• welshgeordie9

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:50 AM

the way to take pressure off is to win

you don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes to work that bloody mystery out.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:53 AM

It’s like saying all you have got to do to win the lottery is pick the right numbers, yeah cos that’s easy isn’t it.

As Jeremy Clarkson would say in top gear, how hard can that be.

• catchy in norway

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:00 AM

lesh

that’s a bit unfair, I think if you were to go back in time, you will not find many negative pardew comments from the season we finished 12, or the first 8 games in the season we finished 5th.

yes , like just about everyone, I said he wasn’t good enough when he came , but did not go on about it much.
    I was actually quite happy with 12th, “if im honest” but it all changed when he insisted on playing Obertan , who was getting worse and worse week after week. then I started to really watch how he set the team up and what he was really going for, which was not wins, but he got lucky wins,

I also think you will find that I don’t think I have been wrong in what I have said about him, in fact from being one of only a hand full that seen this early, now just about everyone is saying the same thing,

so I find it very strange you having a little pop at me for being right,

I don’t think im wrong in asking for a little entertainment from my football, im not demanding that Ashley goes out and spend crazy money like MAn U, im not demanding that we need to get to cup finals.

what I want is a team that plays 90 minutes of football looking for a win, not containing football, and sneak a point or dare I say it , a win,

pardew will set up the for a game at Chelsea and Burnley. and wonder why we can scrape a point a Chelsea and not win 1-0 at Burnley,

truly shocking manager

• lesh

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Catchy

I’m not saying you’re wrong in everything you say about Pardew.

What I am saying is that you don’t see an ounce of anything positive in what he says or does. He surely can’t be wrong in everything he’s done or done?

As is, I agree it’s time he moved on but he has done some good, somewhere down the line.