Newcastle To Change Recruitment Policy

Newcastle have had very little success in the Youth Academy since Mike Ashley bought the club from Freddy Shepherd and John Hall in the summer of 2007.

Adam Armstrong Oldham+Athletic+v+Newcastle+56FI312ljrSl

Adam Armstrong – the latest top youngster at Newcastle

Newcastle are concentrating on recruiting local lads from the area, and maybe there was a glimmer of hope on Wednesday night at Selhurst Park, when five local lads were in the starting line-up.

They were Steven Taylor, Jack Colback, Paul Dummett, Adam Armstrong and Sammy Ameobi – with the last three coming through the Academy in the last seven years.

Alan Pardew has talked about the updated recruitment policy today:

“We’ve said about the Academy that we were centralizing it,” “We weren’t making it a big spread. We’re not going to try to take boys from London or Manchester. We’re focusing on the area.”

“I think that’s starting to pay dividends with the club. They have an affinity with the club, none more so than Paul Dummett, who’s taken a bit of criticism here.”

“But what he lacks in technical quality sometimes, which he’s getting better at, he more than makes up with in desire for the club, defending and wanting to win.”

“We’ve had some bonuses on that front.”  “Sammy looks like he’s finally getting to grips with what it’s about to be a Newcastle player.”

Our Youth Academy has been a big failing over the last seven years, but maybe concentrating on local talent is the right way to go, although we still have to get one first team regular who has come through the Youth Academy since 2007.

Paul Dummett is the closest to that, but when fit, Italian Davide Santon is still the first choice left-back at Newcastle.

We expect only Paul Dummett and the impressive Jack Colback to start tonight at Stoke City, in a  game that manager Alan Pardew really has to win or have the team play very well – if he is to keep his job as manager of Newcastle United, after a poor start to the season..

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jeff from Benwell

Sep 29, 2014 at 8:59 AM

None of us is privy to what has passed between Ashley and Pardew but an indicator will be APs selection for tonight If it has a look of desperation about it then Ashley was telling the truth at the Golden Lion If its just an away point grabbing team then we will know that AP has more breathing space

• catchy in norway

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:01 AM

lesh

that’s a bit unfair, I think if you were to go back in time, you will not find many negative pardew comments from the season we finished 12, or the first 8 games in the season we finished 5th.

yes , like just about everyone, I said he wasn’t good enough when he came , but did not go on about it much.
    I was actually quite happy with 12th, “if im honest” but it all changed when he insisted on playing Obertan , who was getting worse and worse week after week. then I started to really watch how he set the team up and what he was really going for, which was not wins, but he got lucky wins,

I also think you will find that I don’t think I have been wrong in what I have said about him, in fact from being one of only a hand full that seen this early, now just about everyone is saying the same thing,

so I find it very strange you having a little pop at me for being right,

I don’t think im wrong in asking for a little entertainment from my football, im not demanding that Ashley goes out and spend crazy money like MAn U, im not demanding that we need to get to cup finals.

what I want is a team that plays 90 minutes of football looking for a win, not containing football, and sneak a point or dare I say it , a win,

pardew will set up the for a game at Chelsea and Burnley. and wonder why we can scrape a point a Chelsea and not win 1-0 at Burnley,

truly shocking manager

• Lilongwe Geordie

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Catchy/Santon,
    Van Basten has retired from management for stress related reasons. He is continuing as an assistant manager though.

• catchy in norway

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Sammy , hmmm he may be,, but when will you get to grips with being Newcastle United manager ?

that’s a bigger question

• catchy in norway

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM

LIL

that’s what I thought I had read

• welshgeordie9

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM

“We’ve had some bonuses on that front.” “Sammy looks like he’s finally getting to grips with what it’s about to be a Newcastle player.”

What the hell do you mean finally, how long has he been at this club.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:05 AM

It’s not the recruitment policy that needs to be changed.

• welshgeordie9

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Get laurel and hardy out that would be a good start.

• lesh

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:51 AM

It’s not just the recruitment policy or the Academy’s catchment area, a lot of the failure must surely lay with the coaching and the lack of symmetry in first team and the Academy’s playing styles.

• Mag52

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I think we all know that whatever the result against Stoke this evening, there will be no let up in the ‘get rid of Pardew’ agenda.
    The next man in had better be pretty good to turn round our fortunes working under the restraints imposed by Ashley and a mediocre squad, and I think we all know that he won’t be.
    The problem for NUFC is, and will remain, Mike Ashley.

• Menelauos

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:04 AM

No progress for the club until Fat Cashley is out, and as a result Pardew.

• Menelauos

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Also I’ve seen that Mbiwa is a rock at Roma, 5 games 5 wins and a man of match performance. The lads thriving now he isn’t playing 2nd fiddle to has been Sideshow Bob, if we don’t sell Taylor and bring in a aerially dominant and strong defender to partner Mbiwa when he returns I’ll lose even more hope.. Maybe Lascelles could fit reheat category in a few years..?

• Sav

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:15 AM

After shipping 16 goals in U16 and U18 matches against the red scousers maybe we should be taking boys from London and Manchester? Or re-evaluating the coaches we have.

• Crawfordladd17

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Dummett, Colback, Armstrong, Campbell and Sammy Ameobi are all decent Geordie players. Aarons and Bigirimana are good young players. Carroll is available if we can get fit that is a good striker. We have Darlow and Lascelles out on loan. I think if we got 3-4 more good English/British players then we will have a more passion British side like Carroll, Shawcross, Zaha and Vardy. For example there is 6 English players, there with Armstrong, Ameobi, Williamson S.Taylor(he sucks though), R.Taylor, Campbell and Bigirimana
    4-4-2
    Darlow
    Janmaat
    Coloccini
    Lascelles
    Dummett
    Cabella
    Colback
    Tiote
    Aarons
    Cisse
    Carroll

• Blackstarbullet

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I agree it does need an overhaul, however, our coaches from top to bottom leave a lot to be desired.
    If we ever needed proof as to how poor our youths teams are then look no further than last week-end when, despite playing at home, our under 18’s were walloped 5-1 by Liverpool and our under 16’s were absolutely trounced by Liverpool 11-2.
    All I can say is our teams at all levels leave a lot to be desired.

• NYMAG

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Lacks in technical ability means he’s not good enough. And he’s not, he’s totally limited as a player, I don’t care if he runs around a lot and throws himself into a tackle, if you’re not good enough it doesn’t matter where you come from….And as for Sammy getting to grips, he must be talking about training because I haven’t seen any evidence he’s got what it takes to make it, even as a mediocre squad player. I doubt he’d get a regular game for 9 out of 10 sides in the championship