Newcastle Line Up Two Strikers For January

Newcastle United are lining up strikers to bring in during the January transfer window, and we have already been linked with former player Andy Carroll, who may find it hard to get his place back in the West Ham side, as new strikers Diafra Sakho and Enner Valencia are impressing in their first season at Upton Park.

bafe gomis swasnea

Bafe Gomis – in Swansea colors

And 24 year-old Diafra Sakho scored his 5th goal of the season yesterday, when West Ham beat QPR 2-0 to send them bottom of the league, and the Hammers up yo 7th place in the league with 10 points.

Newcastle were credited with an interest in Sakho over the summer, after he had done so well at Metz to get them promoted back to the French first division,  but we decided not to go after the striker.

So three strikers we missed out on in the summer are Sakho, Valencia and Gomis, and we are paying for the miserly approach we take in our transfer business – and we didn’t replace Loic Remy and we are not paying for that.

But it’s clear we do not have enough players who can score goals, so there will be a big push on to recruit strikers before Christmas, with Andy Carroll being one target.

And one striker we were after for more than a year – Bafe Gomis – who signed for Swansea in the summer from Lyon – is said to be attracting renewed interest from Newcastle, according to The Sun on Sunday.

Bafe is having difficulty getting his place at Swansea, and he was an unused substitute on Saturday, and so far he has played 5 games for Swansea with a single goal.

Bafe of course saw out his contract at Lyon and was a free agent in the summer, but Newcastle were said to be scared away by his wage demands, but the Sun on Sunday report suggests Newcastle are now willing to pay £7M for the striker, and that would be a huge profit for Swansea in a short five months or so.

That;s thing Newcastle like to do – not the other way round.

The fixed release clause in Bafe’s contract is said to be £7M, but that would be embarrassing for Newcastle, and show that we don’t have our act together in the recruitment area.

We had plenty of chances to sign this player over the last eighteen months or so, and he is now 29 years old – and we’d be very surprised if Newcastle pursue him in January at that high price.

He hasn’t exactly set the Premier League alight so far, so if we didn’t want him as a free agent in the summer, why would we want him now for £7M?

Newcastle lose out on far too many players when they will not pay out the transfer fee or the wages and we are now being outbid by clubs like Swansea, West Ham and Southampton for players.

Enner Valencia, the 24 year-old West Ham and Ecuador striker is another player we failed to get in over the summer.

And it’s the African Cup of Nations in January and February again, and we could lose Papiss Cisse and Cheick Tiote then – and they have been two of our very best players this season so far.

Andy Carroll will give us another option up front, and he would be motivated to do well at Newcastle, not only to keep his home town club in the Premier League, but also to earn a permanent deal back at Newcastle.

If Newcastle are still in relegation  trouble come January, look for Mike Ashley to splash out the cash and bring players in.

The last thing he wants is to have Newcastle relegated, because then his Sports Direct company misses out on all that free world-wide publicity he gets from Newcastle United, when they play at St. James Park.

That seems to be his main motivation as the continued owner of Newcastle United. 🙁

What do you think?

Comments welcome,

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Pardew out, conmen out.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Repost

Prodigy,
    I said before the season with a top striker and top centre half coming in before the window closed we should be 7th to 10th. Without those, 10th to 15th. I still think that is about where this squad is in term of ability. At the minute I think we are probably one of the worst sides in the league the way we are playing, and if we continue with Pardew I think we will be one of the favourites for relegation.

I don’t have much faith in Ashley to pick someone progressive for the role, but it can’t get much worse then the dross we get now, and if we wait till December it could be too late.

As for targeting Pardew, we had the Anti Ashley campaigns last year, with little effect. It is difficult to remove Ashley unless there is billionaire already waiting in the wings. There isn’t, and it is unlikely there will be anytime soon. Pardew is a more achievable aim, and while it won’t solve all our woes, it will address some of them and hopefully it will allow Ashley to appoint someone who can at the very least give us back a bit of entertainment and pride in the football.

Firebug,
    Of course SD will always be more important to him. It is his creation, it is his bread and butter, and it makes him more money in a year then he could earn in 10 from NUFC. I doubt you will find anyone to dispute that he thinks SD is more important.

• daztoon

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Isn’t the loan from Ashley interest free ,so any payment on the loan should reduce it.

• firebug666

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:07 AM

I hope we do not go for Andy, we have gone back far enough as it is. Andy is far to injury prone, plays one game has six months rest.

We need fresh players, and a new manager with fresh ideas, we will not progress by returning to the past.

Our main aim in January should be to shore up our pathetic defence, and if we haven’t already got a new manager by then, get one.

• mecannylad

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:09 AM

This is all driving me mad.
    As a pensioner I have time on my hands so I am able to devour everything the internet can throw at me about the current plight of my beloved NUFC.
    I try ever so hard not to become too involved and over emotional. I am afraid I succumb at times with provocative and personal comments.
    It’s only because I care….. I then feel uncomfortable about the stance I have taken. It’s only a game I keep telling myself.
    This is no good for an old man’s health ….. but it is my passion … and it means so much to me.
    What should I do please.

• Toon-Prodigy

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Lilongwe,

I just can’t see us being any better under these constraints and structures. I said yesterday we may see prettier football but that would be the biggest “may” ever going off his previous recruitments.

I personally believe he is out of football contacts who he can “trust” to operate such endeavours and that is why he is sticking with Pardew and riding this out. It’s criminal, but it’s all Ashley’s masterplan.

There cannot be many people out there left who he knows which would take such a role knowing he is ripping the p1ss out of us.

Atleast I hope so.

It’s only my own personal opinion, but I think Ashley will rectify his latest gambles in January and sell Tiote. Once De Jong and Santon return I think we will have better results. And as these newcomers get upto speed and out of this hellhole they have arrived in. But rest assured there will be more outgoings of quality players and we will be back to square one once again and in need.

Bedtime for me.

Have a pleasant day lads.

• firebug666

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:11 AM

mecannylad

Perhaps stop posting and seek medical advice.

• masterp1983

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM

So Gomis isnt doing at Swansea so we want to buy another flop…. errrmmm no thanks! Defoe would do for me on a year or 2 contract. Might be getting on but guaranteed goal getter which is what we need! Then Someone like Rhodes if we are really looking to the future

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Prodigy,
    I agree that we will never be challenging and that while Ashley is here there will always be problems. But in my opinion that shouldn’t absolve Pardew of any blame. Both are detrimental to the club and in an ideal world, both would leave the club.

• switch365

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I wouldn’t have Bafe Gomis if all our strikers were struck down and couldn’t play for the rest of the season.

In fact I’d go so far as to say I’d rather have Beardsley and Shearer with their zimmer frames huffing and panting round the pitch, than |Gomis!

• geordie@bergen_norway

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:31 AM

F**k this shit!
    Give Armstrong a chance!

Focus on a new CB and a DM (if Mr. T leaves).

• bobby mango

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Sure we won’t be going in for Gomis now. He hasn’t exactly shown us we’ve really missed out. Definitely need another striker but it won’t be him.

I think improving the defence is equal is not higher priority

• Mag52

Oct 6, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Mecannylad @ 5

What should you do Mecannylad ?
    I doubt if you are much, if any, older than me. As the scouters say, ‘calm down mate’. You and I have seen it all before. What goes around comes around, and Ashley will not be there forever.
    As you say ‘it’s only a game’ but don’t ever fall into the trap of wanting your team to lose. This marks the lowest point for a supporter from where it’s almost impossible to recover with any self respect left.

• Mag52

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Scouters should be scousers.

• ToonMatt

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:17 AM

daztoon, That’s what I thought? But the loan amount hasn’t changed in over 5 years has it? That kind of proves the Carroll, Cabaye and Debuchy money wasn’t put back in to the club was it?

• toonincheek

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:53 AM

daztoon –

The loan was stated to be interest free, i.e. we don’t have to account for interest as an expenditure.

The sting in the tail is that MA recovers the equivalent of the interest, AND MORE, by way of free advertising and transferring other commercial interests, to SD.

The value of commercial interests doesn’t seem to amount to all that much, and interest rates (only MA’s spare £130 cash) are pretty low at the moment.

• magpie66

Oct 6, 2014 at 12:38 PM

He leaves the loan on the books so that when the day comes that he sells the club the new owners then owe him that money. So he sells the club for it’s market value at that time plus the money he put in as an interest free loan. He sees the free advertising as the interest. Not agreeing or disagreeing with his tactic just trying to explain why he doesn’t pay himself back.

• dannitoon

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:13 PM

The Lyon player banged in a treble yesterday. .. he’s the player we shouldve splashed the cash on.. I do think manu will score if played correctly.. A bit like cisse.. Both like support

• NYMAG

Oct 6, 2014 at 1:46 PM

I’m sure the Gomis story is rubbish, why would we spend 7m on this football mercenary who can’t even make an impact at Swansea. I could see there being some truth in the Andy Carroll story though, I could see us take a gamble even though I think it’s too big a risk to take. We already signed one injury prone player in DeJong. The only way this could work is if it was some kind of paid as you okay deal, and there’s no way he would go for that because there’s always some club, QPR etc. who would take the risk and pay him a big contract….

• Charlietoon

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:01 PM

How the shot does Carroll give us another option. He is permanently injured.

• toonluvva

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM

We will only get reinforcements in if we are in serious relegation problems come January.

Everyone told Ashley we needed strikers and CB’s urgently in the summer window. He turned a deaf ear.

Ashley needs to watch out. There is a very real danger that we will drop into the Chumpionship in May, and we may not get back up for a few years. Not much TV money in that league is there, Mr Ashley!

• sing in the corner

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Laurent Robert 32
    Thanks for that insight.

• MassiveG

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I’m an accountant and I still don’t understand the Ashley loan – if we sell Cabaye for £20m does what we owe Ashley reduce by £20m or does he take that out the club in drawings for himself and so we lose £20m and we still owe him the full loan? Enlighten me