Newcastle United are lining up strikers to bring in during the January transfer window, and we have already been linked with former player Andy Carroll, who may find it hard to get his place back in the West Ham side, as new strikers Diafra Sakho and Enner Valencia are impressing in their first season at Upton Park.
Bafe Gomis – in Swansea colors
And 24 year-old Diafra Sakho scored his 5th goal of the season yesterday, when West Ham beat QPR 2-0 to send them bottom of the league, and the Hammers up yo 7th place in the league with 10 points.
Newcastle were credited with an interest in Sakho over the summer, after he had done so well at Metz to get them promoted back to the French first division, but we decided not to go after the striker.
So three strikers we missed out on in the summer are Sakho, Valencia and Gomis, and we are paying for the miserly approach we take in our transfer business – and we didn’t replace Loic Remy and we are not paying for that.
But it’s clear we do not have enough players who can score goals, so there will be a big push on to recruit strikers before Christmas, with Andy Carroll being one target.
And one striker we were after for more than a year – Bafe Gomis – who signed for Swansea in the summer from Lyon – is said to be attracting renewed interest from Newcastle, according to The Sun on Sunday.
Bafe is having difficulty getting his place at Swansea, and he was an unused substitute on Saturday, and so far he has played 5 games for Swansea with a single goal.
Bafe of course saw out his contract at Lyon and was a free agent in the summer, but Newcastle were said to be scared away by his wage demands, but the Sun on Sunday report suggests Newcastle are now willing to pay £7M for the striker, and that would be a huge profit for Swansea in a short five months or so.
That;s thing Newcastle like to do – not the other way round.
The fixed release clause in Bafe’s contract is said to be £7M, but that would be embarrassing for Newcastle, and show that we don’t have our act together in the recruitment area.
We had plenty of chances to sign this player over the last eighteen months or so, and he is now 29 years old – and we’d be very surprised if Newcastle pursue him in January at that high price.
He hasn’t exactly set the Premier League alight so far, so if we didn’t want him as a free agent in the summer, why would we want him now for £7M?
Newcastle lose out on far too many players when they will not pay out the transfer fee or the wages and we are now being outbid by clubs like Swansea, West Ham and Southampton for players.
Enner Valencia, the 24 year-old West Ham and Ecuador striker is another player we failed to get in over the summer.
And it’s the African Cup of Nations in January and February again, and we could lose Papiss Cisse and Cheick Tiote then – and they have been two of our very best players this season so far.
Andy Carroll will give us another option up front, and he would be motivated to do well at Newcastle, not only to keep his home town club in the Premier League, but also to earn a permanent deal back at Newcastle.
If Newcastle are still in relegation trouble come January, look for Mike Ashley to splash out the cash and bring players in.
The last thing he wants is to have Newcastle relegated, because then his Sports Direct company misses out on all that free world-wide publicity he gets from Newcastle United, when they play at St. James Park.
That seems to be his main motivation as the continued owner of Newcastle United. 🙁
What do you think?
You can follow us on our three social media sites below: