Increasing Pressure On Newcastle Could Have Consequences

One of the real concerns we have at Newcastle this season, is the longer we stay near or in the relegation zone, the more difficult it will be to get out of it – and one reason for that is there is mounting pressure on the players in every game we do not win, and that makes it difficult for them to play at their best.

Alan Pardew steve stone john carver +Swansea+City+v+Newcastle+United+UCzIaeCvHCWl

Alan Pardew deep in thought on Saturday

And after a while every poor result makes the hole we are in that much deeper.

And manager Alan Pardew has talked about that phenomenon today, following our rather lucky 2-2 draw at Swansea on Saturday, when if truth be told – we were second best for long periods of that game.

This is what Alan has said:

“The media will take whatever tone they want on it.” “I think anybody who seen us will know the players are giving everything.”

“OK, we’d like to have a bit more confidence and play with a bit more belief at times.” “And I would as well.” “But we are where we are.”

“The pressure on us makes it difficult to play.” “We had periods where we looked edgy and nervous which is understandable.” “The only thing you can do is keep fighting and we certainly had that.”

“I’m not here to score points in terms of me as a manager.” “I just want the team to win and try to find a solution for the players to help them.” “It’s my job to help them prove and get better results.”

What Newcastle United need are wins – as Pardew alludes to – and it’s really as simple as that – but much easier said than done.

We have had a leaky defense so far this season, with Colo and Willo looking vulnerable at the back, and we have nobody other than Papiss Cisse who can score Premier League goals for us at the moment, so we have problems both at the back and up front.

Apart from that we are in great shape. 😀

We didn’t replace Loic Remy in the summer, and we didn’t strengthen our weak defense – so we are now paying the price for that this season.

We just have to hope we can start pulling away from the bottom of the league, and that some of our players – both new and old – can start to find their best form – very soon.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• firebug666

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:48 PM

It doesn’t matter what the inept one has to say, under his mismanagement of our player we will face relegation this season.

• gazzaforever

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Dam it, slow down Ed, I know you need to make money but this is too much, how can we possibly debate that way.

• mag92

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Someone should pull him up short, about the part where the players are giving it their all, because if 4 points and a goal difference of -7 and in the bottom 3, is giving it their all then the club will be playing Championship football next season.

• geordie157

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

If Janmaat is out, then whoever plays there will struggle, Steven Taylor, Raylor, Anita or dummett must likely, I’d be tempted to put the u21’s right back in…..but who is that? Mbabu?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:00 PM

gazzaforever,
    You simply carry on your conversation from the last thread, it’s not that difficult !

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:04 PM

I enjoy reading Toon Prodigy’s posts, his thoughts very much echo my own but he can write them down a lot better, although he has more, much more sympathy for Pardew than I do.

• mag92

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Ashley must want relegation and then he’ll sell up and disappear chuckling to himself.

• mindshaft

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Pardew – your job is to practice a formation that suits the players we have and then send them out with a game plan.
    You may as well stop the 4 days you currently take for defensive training as it’s clearly not working.
    Take a look at other teams such as Southampton, they are constantly chasing down other teams and have a lot of movement when on the attack, they’ve conceded 5 goals compared to our 14 with players who are probably on a par with our own skill wise.

• hibbit

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:12 PM

the pr train is now picking up speed pards is picking his words very carefully two weeks of this till the next game

• Ibizatoon

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Likewise, not increasing pressure on Pardew / Ashley could have consequences.

For all the press Geordies, or the Toon Army to allow for fans like myself who aren’t from Newcastle, receive along the lines of being delusional or too demanding, I for one think the majority of fans have been really patient.

Sure there were demonstrations early on during Ashleys reign, arguably some of it crossed the line (death threats etc), but even some of the serious anti crew started to get behind not just the team, as they always were, but somewhat behind Ashley and Pardew.

The bottom line is, due to the actions (or non action) from Ashley / Pardew has resulted in the current mood. Nothing else. This is not the fans fault, they’re simply all doing what they feel is best for our club. Act or don’t act, the consequences could be pretty much the same.

Another point would be that I believe the team have actually performed better / got better results when fans have protested.

It’s not what I would have thought would happen, but it really should put to bed the whole argument of don’t kick up a fuss as it’ll effect the players – it hasn’t.

• catchy in norway

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:17 PM

p45

confidence is low because of you,

why did u get sacked at your last job again

• mindshaft

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Well at least we can’t lose this weekend, Pards will probably take the fact we haven’t lost for a couple of weeks as a positive point for him staying as manager

• Go toon gooooo

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Midfield.Midfield is the main problem.

• Average_Contents

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:48 PM

The tv chiefs must smell blood! On 5 times in one fcuking month! When was the last time that happened? Under kk or SBR probably but for entirely different reasons lol.

Saturday 6th December – Newcastle United v Chelsea (12.45pm) BT Sport

Saturday 13th December – Arsenal v Newcastle United (5.30pm) Sky Sports

Sunday 21st December – Newcastle United v Sunderland (1.30pm) Sky Sports

Friday 26th December – Manchester United v Newcastle United (3pm) BT Sport

Sunday 28th December – Newcastle United v Everton (4.15pm) Sky Sports

• Ibizatoon

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Average…I’ve checked out our December fixture list a few times already and know full well how bad it looks – still, each time I see it again it still shocks me.

Even if we were playing well it’d be a daunting month.

Nice of Sky to make sure we don’t miss a moment of it 🙂

• catchy in norway

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:53 PM

AC

cor blimey , some hammerings going to happen in those games

we have had an easy start so far , man c first game is when u want to play them , no form for both teams

the rest , we should be on about 13 points now

• Average_Contents

Oct 6, 2014 at 4:54 PM

At least it’s only BT twice eh! Can’t stand Owen the little blurt so I suppose twice is too much.

When I, if I, if I was younger, in the most monotone voice ever…..Arrrrrrrrgh.

• Average_Contents

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Why do we always seem to have manure, manure reserves and arsenal around December/jan? It’s a fix I tell ya. Ruthless run.

Ibiza

Tbh I knew who we were due to play but seeing it all listed for TV just makes it seem worse for some reason, probably something to do with what catchy said lol.

Doomed.

• Ketsbaia9

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Think we should go for Bassong on loan in Jan and recall Mbiwa, Ben Arfa and Marveaux. Get rid of Pardew and sell Colback to West Ham for £3m

• catchy in norway

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM

kets

I think it’s time you give the player links a rest and start on a good manager for us

all of the players you mention would only go backwards under this fool

• magscar

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:27 PM

SPOILER ALERT – this may cause some of you ( actually many of you) offence.

So let’s get something out of the way first I am not a Pardew fan but I am a

realist. I wish there were more of us on here. As we are in a break perhaps

deabate might spring up again as Pardew can keep a low profile. Perhaps.

I have been coming on this blog from the start but very rarely post. My apolgies

therefore for a long post but I reckon compared to most posters I have built up

a good stock of words to use as I ration myself Ha Ha. Those who have no
    attention span or can see what is coming can skip now.

I note that many regular bloggers who do not share what appears to be the

majority ( and extremely vociferous) view on here have disappeared. This seems

to be regarded as some sort of victory by the anti-pardew brigade. I am more

inclined to the view that for some of them they are tired of bloodying their

heads on a succession of brick walls.

I used to come on for alternative viewpoints of matches, players, transfer news

etc like I suspect most do/did with some enjoying their regular on line

conversations with virtual mates ( and enemies ). It is all becoming a chore as

the blog is beomimg increasingly polarised with posters at each others throats.

Despite regularly finding some posts

badly thought through

overly personally abusive to Pardew and/or any other poster with a

different view

deliberately provocative

supposedly funny but are puerile and at a tangent ( which poster

obviously finds even more hilarious for reasons best known to him/her)

I manage to resist engaging with the poster because there is no incentive to do

so because often this clearly leads not to reasoned arguement but to personal

abuse. I was very dismayed at one recent poster wondering if anyone else wanted

to punch another regular poster in the mouth simply because that poster would

not bow to his perspective. Humour? No! he seemed so annoyed at persistence of

the other poster’s point of view that he couldn’t sway in the slightest that I

believe he meant it. How sad. Not the first threat of violence on here in recent

months and whilst made in the virtual world it still should be avoided. Perhaps

the poster is from the era of the Longbenton boot boys ( Ed’s note – there are

other boot boy firms you can choose from) and that his way of resolving a

difference of opinion.

To the regular posters of the Anti-Pardew brigade but to their exclusion of any

other point regarding the club/match can I just say – YES WE TOTALLY GET IT. As

you like repetition can I just add that WE TOTALLY GET IT. WE TOTALLY GET IT

repeat until you feel you read this earlier or until others add their version

then start again regardless as I will not be repeating the point over and over (

Ah you’re glad I hear you say – well we are in accord then).

We have been at this stage for most of this year but it is going on ad nauseum.

Trawling through media quotes over the years and repeating stats to reveal more

deep insight into just how despicable a human being and atrocious manager he is

just turns normal people off reading posts and apart from giving others of a

similar extreme and one dimensional view something to punch the air about stunts

debate which is surely the reason for the blog and other forums. Whilst I didn’t

contribute in the main there was some good reading to be had. Now I wouldn’t be

at all surprised to see a post regarding a player having to stop to tie his

laces on the pitch be blamed on Pardew’s lack of management ability that’s how

infantile some comments are getting.

Do some of you actually get off on making these repetitive negative comments

that never take the debate anywhere. Do you feel much better after your vent of

anger. Apparently not, because you are back on sometimes within minutes saying

the same thing in a different way – must be a terrible fixation to be afflicted

with.

Surely you do not believe that you can actually influence other readers’

perspectives by repeated poorly argued rants. I have made this point before but

I hope it is of no surprise to those type of ranters that Ashley, Pardew and

no-one at NUFC bother to read this blog or others. So if you have nothing fresh

to add why not take a break.

Come back when Pardew has finally gone and train your keyboard on the next

“cretin” we have foisted on us. You can then cut and paste your redundant witty

Pardew comments but will have to unfortunately do some trawling to find specific

quotes and stats against the next scapegoat but nothing good can happen without

some sacrifice.

I said at the start I am a realist and whilst I would prefer a new manager I

remain totally unconvinced that there is someone whom Ashley and I ( or

you,you,you…….) can remotely agree on to replace Pardew. To those who say

there is no-one out there that can do worse?? seriously?? think again – JFK,

Wise, Harford, O’Leary immediately spring to my mind ( and whilst are laughable

are not ridiculous in Ashley’s singular world). You should be able to come up

with others equally as easy and yet unwanted. Careful what you wish for. The

only good thing is I don’t subscribe to the simplistic view Ashley just does

things to annoy us fans but I do see alternatively he doesn’t simply do them to

please us and if he does aggravate us that is simply a bonus!

Without going into detail it is evident from events in last 12 months alone and

the stats gathered at Pardewout.Com that at any other club Pardew would be gone.

The fact that he isn’t means that Ashley remains of the view that he is still a

good fit for the manager he wants in his (skewed) perspective of NUFC. The

sympathy he gets from other managers and pundits (who are virtually all free of

the trials and tribulations of having been born to support NUFC) is engendered

by their appeciation of the difficult and virtually unique football scenario

Pardew (agreeably) works in.

For those who expect Pardew to behave with “dignity” and resign let he who has

walked away from the best job he ever had or will have in their lifetime, will

lose money in doing so and apparently has gambling debts ( according to ITK’s)

to pay off, throw the first stone. What no queue of honest men just angry

desperate stone throwers? – what a surprise.

Pardew has nothing to gain as yet by resigning. His position appeared untenable

at the Hull game but this did not pan out as predicted ( and as I also expected

to be honest) so that moment has passed. Until he has lost the team and Ashley’s

support he will cling on hoping for the return of Cisse’s form, emergence of

Cabella and Riviere as Premiershp performers, Raylors freekicks, Dejong and

Arrons return and if still here in January the effective Centre Back and Forward

he has wanted for years. Ignore what he said at close of the window this was

“manager speak” and there are few managers who would have said any different in

the same circumstances perhaps Moriniho, Ferguson and Di Canio – the latter for

totally different reasons of course.

In my version of reality, I sit in what is definitely not the worst period of
    supporting my club as there has been some good financial upturn
    ( shut up or go on to the next post you ” I live in the football league results
    not accounts” dreamers who shout down any one who acknowledges this). Squads

and managers in the past have been far worse as has the ground. Despite this

reality I still have my dreams and also harbour realistic asperations of where

NUFC could have been in the current Premiership of even sillier spending.

Yes I am fed up with how things are. I am not an apologist for Pardew or Ashley

but a fan who has seen a lot of bad come and go and known that there wasn’t a

bloody thing I could have done about. Sorry I did – I chanted “sack The

Board”,raged against McGarry, Lee etc,stopped going sometimes, stopped buying

merchandise, programmes etc but either enough others didn’t or we had little

combined effect. Things changed as everything eventually does but I can’t claim

any credit just pain and suffering along with thousands of others who endured

those same times until Keegan.

I have nothing against Pardewout.Com apart from the uneasy feeling that it is

becoming a personal witchhunt against someone who mightn’t deserve the job but

who shouldn’t have to take this amount of attention. There is a tacit

acknowledgement of this by the site owners saying he is the easier target than

Ashley but they will go after him next. I bet he is quaking in his SD boots.

Any organised protest that I was intially impressed with but has become a war of

attrition which increasingly leaves me with uneasy feelings as a human being

rather than a fan must make me and I hope most reasonable people think about

whether the end always justifies the means. Ask yourself what if Pardew took his

life under this pressure – would you simply blame him for not taking an easier

way out ( resign) or maybe ponder whether the protesting became a bit OTT. Those

who seriously want to say good or I’d open a bottle need to take a long hard

look at themselves and see a good Psychiatrist before they harm someone. Those

who can even joke about their reaction to that happening may want to look at

when a fan becomes a fanatic.

It is only football after all and yet I admit that even at my age my post match

( and the next few days’) moods are inextricably and juvenilely tied to that

day’s performance and result.

To save any lambasters out there the bother of labelling me yes of course I am

an uneducated Mackem troll who has also had (and obviously still has)

hallucinations and am only allowed out when it is not a full moon. I have

nothing sharp (not even my wit) to self harm so go in peace and allow me my

stupidity in even thinking my opinion could count in this blog of hate.

Back to my crayon colouring after I have had my meds as I hear someone shouting

they are well overdue.

For those who like to pull up posters on their grammar and spelling I accept

full responsibility for any of mine on what has become a long broadcast and if

it makes you feel any better have a good go at it all as I am happy in my skin

even if it isn’t as thick as Ashley’s.

• magscar

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Sorry formatting is not how it was on notepad- difficult to edit in submission box and if I tried Ed would have moved on at least 3 threads

• Slank

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM

There doesn’t appear to be many fans on here still singing the praises of Martinez or Hoddle. Everton are one place above us and QPR two places below us.

• lesh

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:35 PM

The pressure Mr Pardew is a product of mismanagement and whilst Ashley must carry most of the responsibility for it by selling players as though they’re they’re a commodity and not replacing them directly or not investing in adding quality depth to the squad.

Furthermore, Mr Pardew, you too are culpable of putting up with his short-sighted greed.

If you do love Newcastle United as much as you say, then it’s time you, Mr Pardew adopted a brave and risky strategy of tendering your resignation in protest at Ashley’s short-termism. After all, replacing you with another manager who’d tolerate his contempt for the playing side of the business would be near impossible and virtually assure relegation.

Be brave, make your stand and whichever way it goes, fans’ respect for you would increase greatly.

On another note, given the profits that have been turned in over the past couple of years, does anyone who’s had sight of recent accounts see any signs of them being reinvested in the club? Or are they being taken by the club’s parent – MASH Holdings and taken by our oh so benevolent owner?

It’s noticable what the debt owed to Ashley isn’t coming down so what’s happening to the profits? Surely it would be only right and proper that unused profits pay off some of the debt – making the club a more affordable proposition for potential buyers. Or does Ashley want the profits and full repayment of the debt, included in the asking price for the club? If so, whilst it’s probably all above board it seems immoral and unreasonable. But, is that not Ashley.

The subject of finances might merit much thought to frame a question at the next Fan Forum? Should the question not be taken, then I’m sure the media would like to help fans raise it. Any takers among all you financial whizzes out there?

• Tsunki

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM

The PR Department is filled with the usual Ashley employees – cheap make do. Getting Cisse in on the spin to blame the fans for their poor form, getting Wise to guff off to Keys about geordie inherent hatred for anything south of the a690 that is non cloth capped, it’s all rubbish PR tactics and it can only be for SD investors / partners. Also it seems of late there’s been a pro -pardew backlash by new faces on the blogs and social media in an apparent attempt to convince the vast majority of sane, reasoning fans that they are impatient fools who know nothing about the game and are hurting the club.

Don’t know about you, but I’m not in the market for it. We know what we are seeing, it’s not pretty, and it smacks of an exodus in January and preparation for relegation and battening down the financial hatches, and getting behind the best man for the job of getting us back in the premier league – step forward, Alan Pardew, Championship manager.

• Ketsbaia9

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I’d have Sven Goran Eriksson here. He has an incredible record as a manager.

• lesh

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Spank

Martinez and Hoddle out!!

There now, they’ve got some recognition now.

😉

• lesh

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Whoops, * sorry Spank, er I mean Slank!!

• Tsunki

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Magscar – well, no offence mate but the double spacing did not help that post much. I also count myself among the number of posters who have a reasonable attention span, but it was way too long for a blog. I agree about the issue of civility, but the lecturing side of your post shone through a little too emphatically. That’s my six bob. 🙂

• mecannylad

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Magscar; A thoroughly entertaining effort….. and a lot of home truths. Congratulations.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Magscar…Been holding that in for a while? 🙂

I do believe there is some merit in what you say, however, can you not sympathise with them?

I respect your view that little can be done by fans, that is your opinion based on trying something in the past. That doesn’t mean it’s not possible though and for many, they’d rather give it a go than just accept things the way they are.

Flip side to that is though, being aggressive to fellow posters is hardly going to convince anyone of joining and just fractures the fan base further.

I have to say, I am disappointed that as a fan base we haven’t managed to organise at least one game where a large section of fans boycotted the game. I understand the arguments for not boycotting, but surely it’s not too much to ask to miss one game – it would at least make a statement that we can unite.

As a club, we’ve stagnated, it’s really hard to discuss line-ups, transfers and all that fans chat about – it all seems so pointless. “Stay off the blog then” is one answer. But that’s also asking people to simply give up and not care.

• Thump

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM

“I think anybody who seen us will know the players are giving everything”

Yet we’re still not wining games, Alan? Shockef..

• Tsunki

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Another thing to take note of is that the frustration at the apparently irrational bordering on suicidal loyalty Ashley is showing to Pardew is bound to take its toll on the fan base. ( btw you did realise that fan is short for fanatic?) and that frustration vents itself especially against the inevitable minority (as in all issues of human activity) who will take an opposite stand, regardless of how incredulous that may seem. As this is not the only place where such jostling is rampant, you can’t simply blame this blog as the breeding ground for threats of violence. I fear you are protesting at the fickleness of human nature and it’s inevitable failure to remain civil when adversity is overwhelming, which of course is futile.

Now, THAT’S A rant 😀

• Go toon gooooo

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM

These two games Pardew has improved a little.He spent almost one year to see some mistakes.But it seems that he’ll stop here.Again with lowercase:Pardew out.

• mecannylad

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Tsunki (25)
    You are right on the money with your assertion that a new covert NUFC PR machine is now in full swing … and will use the International break to ease the critical pressure on the club any way it can.
    What a crazy environment we have all created ….. how can it not end in tears I ask myself ?

• NUFC FOR SALE

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Don’t get me wrong I think Pardew should have been sacked by now but I do have to give him some credit for playing Obertan
    he definitely made a difference.
    So much better having someone with genuine pace for a change.

• magscar

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Few thoughts on responses

As I said later formatting was obviously an issue which I hadn’t expected. I could try to format and repost on later thread but would take time not sure it is worth it now it is out.

Lecturing stance – I will hold my hands up unashamedly but only aimed at certain posters and I think we all know type I aimed at.

Some sympathy with boycott but I don’t believe many of the crowd go on blogs or engage with internet media. Pardewout.com have shown how far apart the internet community is from the SJP crowd. Not blaming them for that just making an observation at how difficult it is to motivate large sections of the public even where many may share your view. When I went to SJP up until I gave up ( as Ashley took over but not for that reason) my mates and I disagreed about whether we should keep going as we were fed up then. Some of us did give up a year earlier but we respected each others views – just stopped buying them pints :-).

I am well aware violence is around us just think totally uncalled for on a blog where apart from the odd troll we have the same “faith” just express it differently.

Yea fan = fanatic but I think the modern meaning has moved a long way from the original derivation and was used deliberately as fanatic is seen as something differently today. I am sorry that some don’t see it as reasonable to point out that violent outpourings aren’t acceptable even if I wasn’t expecting I could effect change in individual blog etiquette.

On a personal note I have endured aggro from another NUFC fan pre-Semi-Final against Spurs in Manchester Bar for simply pointing out that actually I was next as the Neanderthal pushed and shoved his way through me. Maybe he is one of those on here offering to sort out other posters for speaking their truth.

Thought I had hidden it really well that it had been building up in me – some on here are too damned perceptive shucks 🙂

• toonking

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

toon prolegy

the post you did today were stunning, at the end of the day a club is about more than just the manager end if he is crap, people like your know it.

great post mate i’ll always have full respect.

• magscar

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Tsunki

I don’t actually think Ashley’s support is suicidal if you look at it from his unique perspective. As I said Pardew is actually doing what he is required to do in the long if not short term. Ashley knows his transfer blueprint has caught Pardew short several times but he hasn’t bleated just accepts the reality of the contract he signed. Ashley will seek to correct deficencies in January and I believe he has faith in himself to do just that. However if Pardew ends up presiding over a team well adrift by December his confidence will surely be affected. His brinkmanship is legendary at business or leisure and whilst I don’t like the gamble with my club it is what it is. Everything Ashley does has some kind of reasoning no matter how unfathomable to us mere supporters but simply sticking it to us for the sake of it isn’t one of them. As I said the fact it might anger us isn’t areason to do something but no restriction on doing it 🙂

• toonking

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:54 PM

anyone who still thinks a good manager will accept management of our club, here are some quotes

“What he decided to do is run it in a structured way so there was no debt.

“So you can SELL players with money, bring IN and TAKE OUT.

“He’s set the structure with the wage bill as well, he sticks by it as well.

“He thinks the club SHOULD be able to STAY UP.

“He’s NOT going to go and SPEND £200million like Liverpool have.

“He’s not going to go about doing that.”

“Mike WASN’T prepared to constantly throw money – his OWN MONEY – and just throw loads of money at that football club.”

good managers WANT ambition, NOT relegation scraps, only idiotic managers want this.
    the link to that is here