Four Positives We Noticed Against Swansea

Newcastle were lucky to come away with a point from south Wales last Saturday, but maybe because of the never-say-die attitude of our players, we deserved to take something away from the Liberty Stadium, when other sides may have given up.

papiss cisse scores again

Papiss Cisse – the man of the moment at Newcastle

Even after Papiss Cisse had equalized after 75 minutes – for the second time in the game – the players were trying to win the game until the very last kick.

That’s because the players know as well as the fans, that we must start picking up some wins soon, if we are to move away from the bottom of the league.

We didn’t play particularly well,  so lets not get carried away,  but the lads are at least fighting for the shirt.

Here are four things we picked up from the game, and we’ll make them all positive – that makes a nice change these days:

• Papiss Cisse is back in great form with 4 goals in his three appearances so far this season, and he’s even showing the form he showed when he first arrived at Newcastle in January two years ago, which was simply sensational.
    One reason we got the point at Swansea was because of his prowess in front of goal, and while Cisse is in this kind of form we could start picking up the points and even some wins – long may his great form continue.
  • Fringe players can make a difference and two of them – Gabriel Obertan and Sammy Ameobi – made the goals for Papiss on Saturday. Chances and goals are not in great supply at the moment, so it’s good that both wingers played well on Saturday and set up the chances for Papiss to score.
  • If it wasn’t for two terrific saves from Tim Krul on Saturday, we would have lost the game, and that was one reason we managed to stay in the game and were never more than one goal down. When on form Tim is a top goalkeeper, and he seems to be coming into some good form of late – and that has to be good news for Newcastle.
  • And finally – something we mentioned at the beginning – but it’s a vital thing as we fight our way up the league – our players are playing their hearts out.
    And while we haven’t been playing all that well it would only take some players like Colo and Willo to hit some decent form and we could start getting on the winning track soon. With all the media scrutiny on Alan Pardew this season, and this year for that matter, we’ve been impressed with the application of our players – they are showing some guts and fighting spirit when it is needed most – that’s got to be good.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Ed
    you are waiting until I start typing and releae new thread – your busted!

The Pict@78
    Not a lot but Frankie Clark was often the player the crowd vented on when things were bad – either him or Tommy Gibb. Not necessarily my overall view but he took a lot of stick.

One memorable moment springs to mind after he was being skinned by a winger whilst defending at the Leazes End and he jockeyed him into the penalty area before scything him down – penalty! Wag further down the Leazes terrace from me and to left of goal standing on crutches lifts one above his head and shouts “here Frankie you needed it more than me”. Cue crowd laughter and dagger looks from Clarkie who heard. Those not from era substitute Williamson to get picture.

Time and his Forest days make me look back a lot kinder. Craig was classy full stop
    Repost

• Ibizatoon

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Ed…Positives? Is this no longer a Newcastle United blog? 🙂

magscar…Still with us? The nufcblog bug is certainly a catchy one.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Mike, Mike, you’re the man
    And we really love your plan
    Gooooo Mikey!

• dazzler

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Why is JFK speaking on our behalf? Surely this must have been said back when the plans were submitted, prior to his swift exit?

• ToonLynx

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM

January Transfer Ideal

CB- Stefano Denswil, Jores Okore, Joel Veltman
    CM- Clement Grenier, Jordy Clasie
    RW- Emilio Nsue, Memphis Depay (Loan)

Manager- Frank De Boer

• GeordieTwo

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:57 PM

What is the next cunning move by the Prince of Paupers Mike Ashley? It’s going to be so exciting. I foresee another crap manager, then some panicking, then some sobbing and crying from Mike, then some spending in January accompanied by more sobbing and crying. Beautiful Mike.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM

dazzler…What’s this about JFK? I’ve just broken out in a cold sweat….

• GeordieTwo

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Trying to care for a club can be very exhausting when you’re mentally handicapped. That’s why Mike had to bring in assorted other disturbed personalities like Dennis Wise, Derek Llambias and Joe Kinnear to help him run things. And that’s why we have become the success we are today in world football. Truly amazing. 😯

• GeordieTwo

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Yes what are these words of wisdom from JFK dazzler?We must know to be fully informed. I’m embarrassed to admit it. As Senior Official Club Journo I should have been right on this juicy tidbit.

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Mister Tuff

Tedious as this is getting I believe incorrectly or otherwise that you were suggesting that I was part of a multiple poster routine.

Now I am not going to trawl back through all of that day’s posts to start quoting details but I don’t think it would have taken a genius to make an educated guess as to whom you may have been referring to. My guess came simply because I had started posting recently after a years gap I think. That fact and my different views to most posters whilst there was no-one else that I recall would have remotely tweaked your attention led me to not unreasonably thinking he means me.

I think you will agree that I have taken it as laughable from my posts ( still do) but if I am maligning you in any way simply let me know that I wasn’t the point of your comment in any way. I have asked you several times who if not me you were referring to and you haven’t given any clear response even to say no it wasn’t you. Do that and I will happily concede my impression was wrong. I made a similar connection to one of AC’s posts and he put me right – fine.

The problem on this blog is that there are some posters making generalised and/or cryptic comments at times and if you do that don’t be surprised if others get it wrong. AC had the decency to acknowledge that he could see why I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion. Can you instead of this twaddle about caps that fit – Yawn

When regular posters want to make their little snidey clever comments to their audience on here please be big enough to address them to also who you are referring or don’t do it.

In case you want to throw that back in my face re my general comments way back on my original post I was referring to a type of blogger over the last 10 months or so not any specific poster that day or week. A blunderbus not a snipers rifle.

You may feel that you have been drawn into this unfairly but you can easily help me out by answering my not unreasonable assumption.

Ignore me as you wish and I will accept any twanging you think you can successfully deliver but won’t have changed my opinion.

May not be able to post for few days ( family health issue) but will respond when I can.

• 70TWO

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

We also looked good when we went to 442, I don’t know if this was because overall energy levels had gone down on both sides. It was quite disconcerting watching the ‘old fashioned’ formation, I was worried we would completely loose the midfield possession due to there not being 3 central midfielders. However the players seemed to have more space in which to operate and relished the responsibility of their easily understandable roles.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:06 PM

You know lads, things have gotten very depressing down here at Blog End. I don’t even get out of my pajamas anymore. I just sit around sulking and looking at the standings in the paper. Then I throw my slippers at my honey badger. Then I look at the standings again. Then I harass my budgies. Then I sink into a right proper funk for the rest of the day. 🙁

• Ibizatoon

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:09 PM

JFK news always makes me nervous…especially after the last time he announced something out of the blue.

I’m still not convinced he actually had been given a job when he announced he was our new DOF.

Before Dazzler let’s us know , shall we play a round of Joe’s name game?

We’ll only work with our new signings:

Cabella (No kebabs allowed)
    Colback
    Perez
    De Jong
    Riviere
    Janmaat
    Ferryra
    Lascelles
    Darlow

• Average_Contents

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Dazzler

Correct. He unveiled them last summer I believe and their just using his quotes from then.

• 70TWO

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Ibizatoon

Mention of the Joker was in relation to the new training facility under planning application today, don’t worry his involvement is all in the past (fingers crossed)

• Ibizatoon

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:16 PM

G2…If by standings you mean our league position, I have two very handy suggestions to brighten your day.

The first and most obvious, is not to check the league table at all. It’s not what we as a club are interested in. Get yourself a set of the last published accounts and enjoy. Hours of fun for all the family.

Then there is the alternative of simply turning the table upside down, or for the more athletic supporter, you can look at the table whilst standing on your hands. I’m not sure if it’s the blood rushing to the head or the pure delight at seeing us near the top, but it always makes me giddy mate.

There you have it. Hope I’ve been of some assistance.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:20 PM

AC & 70TWO…Thanks for the clarification.

It’s a little sick, but I’m a little disappointed. Comedy gold.

• JamesToon

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Would anyone on here take Eddie Howe?

• Go toon gooooo

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Just one comment:Papiss Demba will never repeat form when he came here.Why?Because his goals were something that football fan won’t see AGAIN.I will say that something like that happens once in many many years.If ever.

• DokToon

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:34 PM

i’ll do the rebuttal to this article:

Four negatives we noticed against swansea:

gave up the lead early… again…

needed two good goals from cisse to save the day…

pardew was still the manager…

ashley was still the owner…

• gaz 44

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Wonder if we can get a chant going to oh mickey what a pitty you don’t understand changing to Mikey, sure theres a few lines that could go with that

• JamesToon

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Would love to see a manager come in that plays an intense pressing game. One of the best ways to win IMO.

Could these be available?
    Ange Posteciglou (Australia manager)
    Jorge Sampaoli
    Frank de Boer

• welshgeordie9

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Good evening ladies and gentlemen were are live at st James park and welcome to the 2014 newcastle united blog awards, and the following awards are as follows.

1. Moaners of the year award (2 winners)
    2. Comedian of the the year award (1 winner)
    3. Good looking award (1 winner) there’s only one winner there to be honest

Anyway nominees for the moaners of the year award

1. Average_Contents
    2. Jail for Ashley
    3. Ibizatoon
    4. Magscar

And the winners are Average_Contents and Jail for Ashley

Right now for the Comedian of the year award next lot of nominees

1. Welshgeordie9
    2. GeordieTwo
    3. Belfast
    4. Jack Butler
    5. Transfer Sage

And the winner is GeordieTwo

Now for the moment you’ve all been waiting for the best looking award and I’ve got bad news there’s only one nominee so the winner is

WELSHGEORDIE

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Dennis Wise talks out of his arse. Just because someone is from down south it doesn’t mean Geordies hate them. Sir Les springs first to mind.

And of course Mikey doesn’t need to say anything. The point Wise misses is that the fans don’t have to accept him and his silence doesn’t help him one bit. And I don’t reckon he sleeps easy. If he does, his family doesn’t care too much for him and he doesn’t care too much for them. No normal person likes to see a family member being hammered the way he is.

• Sliema

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Is Jamaal Lascelles in the England squad?!

• Tsunki

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM

I’ve seen your material Welshgeordie, and the conclusion has to be you wouldn’t know comedy if it was strapped to a sheep and catapulted at you. And the fact I’m not not even on a list that includes belfast of all people nails that right down as a FACT.

• Tsunki

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:43 PM

And if you’re as handsome as your jokes, I’d be thinking about inventing another award category real quick…

• Tsunki

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Mind you even thinking about putting Ibiza in a list of moaners did make me chuckle a bit.

• Tsunki

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Oh Mickey
    What a pity
    You don’t understand,
    Keeping hold of Pards
    Means we’re going down the pan…

• Rotonda heights

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

ed

playing their hearts out??? daylight robbery at swansea, never ever seen a team so outplayed

• welshgeordie9

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:57 PM

27Tsunki

Where’s your sense of humour

If i change Belfasts name to your name will you be happy.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 7, 2014 at 6:59 PM

To be honest i thought that was a good presentation.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:00 PM

You’ve got to Laugh though it is funny.

• DokToon

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:05 PM

baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhdddd humor imo

• Average_Contents

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Blackley and brownie

Think this sums it up.

From the same person off epsn who warned us about the king when he was first appointed – Stuart Robson.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:08 PM

DokToon

Oh come on now just because you didn’t think of it.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM

It’s not my fault I’m good.

• Mag52

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Blackley.

Far be it for me to seem to be supporting anything that Dennis Wise might say, but perhaps he has got the idea that Geordies hate southerners from certain bloggers on here who, from time to time, refer to our manager as a f— ing cockney or a cockney c–t, showing their ignorance, of course, as Pardew was born in Wimbledon.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Nobody has got a sense of humour on here

• Average_Contents

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM

When you delve deeper into the article it becomes apparent why I posted it r.e the southern thing.