Roberto Di Matteo Accepts Top Manager Job

One of the problems that Mike Ashley will have as he waits and hesitates over Alan Pardew as the Newcastle manager, is that some good available managers will become not available – and one of the potential candidates has just accepted a top manager’s position in Germany.

oberto di matteo chelsea

Roberto Di Matteo – new Schalke 04 manager

Former Milton Keynes Dons, West Brom and Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo, who took Chelsea to their first Champions League title ever two years ago,  has just accepted the job at Schalke 04 in Germany.

Roberto not only plays an attacking style of football, but he also proved at Chelsea that he can handle big players well, and he’s well versed in the modern day tactics of the game, and he’s certainly a great choice at Schalke.

Roberto takes over from Jens Keller after their poor start to the season, and this is what was reported via the Schalke twitter feed:

“Schalke have parted company with Jens Keller.” “Roberto Di Matteo takes over.”

The German side has 8 points from their first seven league games with two wins, two draws and three defeats and a goal difference of -1.

That’s a lot better than four draws and three defeats and a goal difference of -7. which is what we have at Newcastle after our first seven  league games  – but the standards are (much) higher at Schalke these days.

And there’s always the possibility that managers like Roberto and David Moyes have already been approached by Newcastle, and they have told Ashley they don’t want to work in a circus at this point in their careers – and for a club that’s not too ambitious either – not like in the days of old.

David Moyes for instance, has said he would be interested in managing at a top club on the continent, if a suitable offer came his way.

And that’s always a reason why Alan Pardew may remain in his job on Tyneside, you need to have an idea as to who can take over at Newcastle if Alan is fired.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• G

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Actually after watching him make a poor West Brom side play poorer, I’m glad he’s off our radar now.

• jimmysmith

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM

It should be remembered that Newcastle have not overspent, and so still have money to rectify this. It’s clear Ashley isn’t planning on throwing money at us, but it’s also far from certain that he won’t fix this in January, or put the money into infrastructure in an effective way, and continue to do so, to the clubs on going benefit.

Ashley is being conservative, that seems obvious, but his ultimate goal remains as unclear now as it has for a number of years.

I suspect he’s crunched the numbers and knows exactly where he needs to finish, and when it might be worth pushing on. Of course that could easily be never, but if the money does go back in, and is invested well, there will be little to ultimately complain about, other than the fact he lacks a charitable heart.

Although by that rationale, you might well think he’d do better to start with the zero hour contracts at SD and working conditions in his Asian factories, before he gives back to Newcastle Utd.

• catchy in norway

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:55 AM

all we need now is moyes to take a job and we will be safe from those 2 defensive managers

I like the look of Middlesbroughs manager

he has them playing great football and winning , works on a budget a fraction of what pardew can’t work on

• catchy in norway

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:59 AM

he would be the guy I would be bringing in

• 70TWO

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Following on from the NUFC ‘research’ that Cup winning teams are often relegated (!?!) I am expecting new scientific proof to be released in the next two weeks that changing the manager ensures relegation.

• beermonkey

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:02 AM

catchy

with the pr wagon rolling I think its becoming clear we wont be getting a new manager

and if we don’t pick up wins at Leicester and west brom in the next 5 games and maybe a draw we will be right in it teams are already pulling away

• mecannylad

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Karanka for me too.

• spitfire_

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

About this “are we after Nastasic in January”.

Not a f****** chance. Until January, especially with the horror streak at December we will be in the shit to the chin. So I don’t see even a small chance to try to bring so high profile player. The FCB prove himself as a gambler and without football brain at all, so probably we will bring some low profile players and will pray to stay up.

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Repost should know better to try more than 2 lines when Ed is on his morning news trawl

10 magscar // Oct 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

AC
    Thanks for your clarification and you will see that having got a lot of my chest I wound down to a few short stories and am now trying to hone my cut and thrust and thrust skills with a few relapses.

When you are not totally of the populist persuasion ( repeat am not Ashley or Pardew fan) on here you do find yourself having to explain yourself a lot more especially as an infrequent poster.

Witness my defence of my longwindedness, insincerity and supposed multiple personality disorder to the amateur pschologists on here last night. I hope I can now post as infrequently as I can manage at different times without establishing a CV.

Am attending quickly arranged sincerity classes and having treatment for my personality disorder as well as a family life so will have to make do with as and when have time.

On brain cell count I judge posts on their content and try to avoid a rush to judgement on the Author.

HoweverI am reminded of an oft repeated phrase on here about the defination of insanity aimed at Pardew and his suppposed band of supporters of course. There are some posters who display similar traits with stats and keep on going even when lo and behold Pardew is still there next morning.

I have just about resigned myself to putting up with the inevitable yet again and it makes a little easier to function without feeling I have to mainly preach to the converted .

I have had my day in the protest movement but do not begrudge others their day even if I see little hope of change.

On the PR bandwagon debate or should that be the runaway wagon. I believe what I want and don’t distract myself with players comments scripted or not. Some of you will recall ridiculous comments from the likes of Dyer Bellamy etc pre Ashley. Football was ever thus and any club in crisis would be failing themselves not to do what club is attempting.

Just take it or leave it honestly it lessens the blood pressure.

• geordie157

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Agree on karanka, plays decent passing football, quite a few youngsters in the Boro squad too.

Taking off playing youngsters the Swindon side that also play great passing football has an average age of 21.

Good to see sides outside of the prem giving young players a chance to develop. Although for some sides like Crewe they don’t really have any other option.

Would love us to be brave and make abeid, Aaron’s and Armstrong regulars. And get streete in the mix too.

• sparky55

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM

methinks we’re being stitched up. Ashley made a move last week to increase his share-holding at Rangers.

The way I see it (no ITK or other inside info) is he will sell newcastle just before the January window giving the new owner time to sort stuff out and the new owner will then have to pay off Pardew and leaves Ashley clear to complete his purchase of Rangers.

This way he gets a price he’s happy with before the club are completely in the sh!te and he doesn’t have to spend any more money flogging a dead horse and backing a manager he dispises.

• geordie157

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Also you don’t see van gaal playing players out of position with their centre back crisis. Mcnair was thrown in and has stepped up, he’s playing in a position he’s used to.

• catchy in norway

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

beer

I think we would be lucky to get point of those teams right now , at best a couple of draws, if that happens Ashley may have no choice if he wants to protect his investment,

I just don’t see pardew changing his game, the 2 points we have picked up , Hull were very poor and still scored 2 and we got lucky vs Swansea,
    pardew is saying the players are fighting for him , I don’t see it , I see headless chickens , I see him blaming players,

goofy will start as will sissoko,

colback and tiote don’t work together

the team is a mess

• 70TWO

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Does Ashley even have a cut off point?

If we have less than 15 points on Xmas day we are sure to be relegated so spending money or changing the manager will be redundant. If we have 17 points we stand a chance with some additions to the squad. However if no new players come in then he is clearly trying to get AP to walk out with no compo. I am already turning green with anger.

• catchy in norway

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:23 AM

sparky

I too think Ashley hates pardew,

• bobby mango

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM

The job he did at Chelsea was all about motivating top players.
    The WBA job was much closer to what he’d have to do with us. He was pretty poor there. I’m glad he’s not coming to us. Think he’ll struggle at Schalke

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Mister Tuff

Are you really going to continue with your mutiple personality meanderings. I really struggle to post under this user name – go back to time around Nolan’s sale for my first essay. I am hardly prolific.

It is really easier to accept there are other opinions by people who think for themselves which differ from yours and can be argued by those individuals who despite the obvious error of their ways have more than 1 brain cell. I am delighted that to have passed AC’s test on that score.

If you want to tilt at windmills then you are doomed to failure.

• spitfire_

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

sparky55

I don’t know did you see the statement from the club in the day after I think The Telegraph say that the FCB will sold the club in the next months. In this statement was written that the FCB will “not sell the club AT LEAST until the end of next season”… and was written with this capital letters.

Saying this we must wonder why he is so explicit about the end of last season… and watching Rangers it all clears up. They are at Championship, and by the end of next season it will be clear do Rangers will play at Europe or not. And since we all know that for the FCB is more important the SD, it’s all make sence. If Rangers win a place in the Europe tournaments he will sell Newcastle asap.

So don’t hold your breath about selling Newcastle by this January… it’s not gonna happened.

• mecannylad

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

My wife , bless her, is a wonderful voice of reason. She knows how important Newcastle United Football Club are to me and she understands how they are currently testing my resolve.
    “Is there anything I can do dear ?” she often says. “Is that lovely looking man with the gorgeous silver hair still troubling you”
    You bet !!

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Sparky55

Share your misgivings as many do but think your timescale is too short.

He has time on his side for Rangers – 2 years at best before they could be in Europe and need not be rushed by a need for a minimum spend to keep us ticking over in January.

NUFC remains a self sufficient asset no cash introductions by Ashley or SD ( not that it is possible without shareholder’s agreement).

No quick fix I’m afraid.

• Harley

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Sparky

As much as that sounds nice I can’t see Ashley selling anytime soon.
    I do think he is planning to take over rangers and sell us within a year or 2 but he’ll have to do that while our stock is high.
    No one will give him the asking price if we are adrift at the bottom and staring at relegation. He’ll have no choice but to splash some cash again this jan like 2 seasons ago.

• beermonkey

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM

catchy

centre backs aside I don’t think we have a bad team if we play players in there favoured more natural positions

our team work is non existent to make up for the deficiency’s in the team

we have seen him on the press saying cabella need to improve
    yet there were none of those mutterings about debuchy and sissoko in there first 6 mnths

he scares me being in the team taylor things aint workin in defence give him a go things couldn’t be any worse even the streete or satka

been impressed with blackett at man u thrust into the fist team and the kid they played this weekend it was his first week playing with the first team
    you couldn’t have asked for from them

were in a crises yet nowt changes

• 70TWO

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:36 AM

spitfire_

There is no guarantee the SFA rule about owning more than one club will prevent Ashley / MASH Holdings buying Rangers. No conflict of interest can be shown, Red Bull show a precedent and ownership can be re-interpreted.

• catchy in norway

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Hayley

trouble is , he will say he needs 10 games to bed them in ,

and if by that time we are bottom 5 , we will go down , as he has shown that he can not motivate the players when we go on these long losing streaks

if you take the form from 2014, he has the worst record of any of the teams in there, for him to turn it around he would need form of at least a top 10 team , I just don’t see it,

if you take the points we have this season, 4 , you can’t say we are unlucky to have only that amount, it’s the opposite , I think we are lucky to have 4 ,

I look on paper we have a good squad , Sunderland have a worse one yet they are double our points , probably where they should be

• spitfire_

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM

70TWO

You’re right, there is no guarantee but still there is a chance.

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Mister Tuff

Forgot to ask apart from Mag 52 ( I’m guessing here) who else am I as having just about exhausted this persona I need to psyche myself up and get in the part for my next set of posts and would like a different guise.

Thinking about how to fool the blog detectives on here I have come up with an idea of preparing long posts in advance under various guises and posting them in quick succession. I know that won’t fool a poster with a nose for these things like your goodself so don’t mind sharing in advance. You aren’t on all the time so I have a good chance of tricking the vast majority before you denounce me again.

You clearly had spotted that to put people off the scent I maintained a longwinded and short sharp post approach under the different usernames.

Mag 52 sorry for dragging your name into this but I think you will have guessed we are the ones he is tilting at.

He is right about having sport though as I hadn’t realised there was so much fun in pandering to misguided innocents on here.

Don’t think it will be a long lasting experience however as I can bored easily- sorry

Have to go as Wendy wants an article 🙂

• catchy in norway

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM

beer

agreed

• 70TWO

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

“HOPE”

The word of the season and seven games in taking a hammering.

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Spitfire

70 TWO is right and remember that Ashley apparently only wants NUFC european involvement at Champions League level. That ship has clearly sailed for us.

Nightmare scenario?
    He keeps us and ensures we stay out of Europe whilst Rangers make Champions league in next few years when normal service is resumed.

Achievable- unfortunately very much so.

Any merit in it – Hell yes continued income from Premiership cash cow and European exposure every season via Rangers

Cost -well within budget

Having written this can I replace “nightmare” with “probable” OMG

• The next Mike Williamson

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I’m praying Moyes & Pulis have taken on jobs before we start looking. I would have expected Moyes to go for the Schalke job. His achievements in football are similar to Allardyces at Bolton and he’ll never replicate it.

• The next Mike Williamson

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM

the reason he hasn’t lost the dressing room is because he has kept senior influential pros on his side by never ever criticising them or dropping them

the reason we are rubbish is because he never criticises his senior influential pros or drops them

look at Collo, Willo, & Gouffran. the worst three offenders. he’s never once said anything bad about them & they should have been rested a long time ago. they are the three not in the team on merit and they are the three that have publicly defended the manager. I think Sissoko, Dummet, & Obertan are the other guys who “owe” pardew a public backing for keeping them in the team.

the one thing he’s seemed to have learned is how to keep the dressing room probably as a result of losing it at southampton & west ham

• mecannylad

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Absolutely plausible scenario, Magscar.
    So any euphoria we can expect as fans will be based on successful dramatic last game escapes then……. Bryan Robson at West Brom, Poyet at Sunderland, David Pleat at ..I can’t rememeber etc
    Ah well …. it’s only a game.

• firebug666

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:08 AM

The next Mike Williamson

Very good post and spot on imo.

• firebug666

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM

mecannylad

I don’t think the inept one has the tactical knowledge to organise a last game escape, infact the last time we were in a relegation battle with him I think we had to rely on other results helping us.

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM

JimmySmith@2

Your username suggests you are from my era with the original Jimmy being one of my first favorites. having read previous posts of yours I perhaps not surprisingly find many areas of agreement.

Once again I find myself agreeing with you. Some posters need to remember that Ashley never deliberately shoots himself in the foot or knowingly pays more than he has reckoned something to be worth (to him!).

Not a strategy to endear himself to fans but he really doesn’t care about popularity or even shareholders of SD. Ends justify the means for him.

Whilst a manager of an office in a previous life my then boss had gave me good advice viz. you can be popular and/or respected by your staff but if one has to be sacrificed at any stage then make sure you can be respected. Sound advice which bore me well in later years. Ashley has the luxury of sacrificing both his popularity and fans respect if the scenario requires it and answers to no-one.

Sleepless nights recently for Pardew/coaches,Press office, us lot etc but Ashley sleeps like a baby.

• firebug666

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

mecannylad

In fact if memory serves me correct, we escaped relegation on the penultimate game of that season, as I seem to remember the inept one saying, “I don’t care if Arsenal beat us 4 – 0 now” Pathetic statement to make but that’s our illustrious managers.

• magscar

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:21 AM

THE NEXT MIKE WILLIAMSON

Brave comment on here perhaps and I bet if we stood for just one day in Pardew’s shoes we would mostly do the same ( apart from the martyrs for the cause on here who can teach us all about self sacrifice). Sad fact of life.

• Mag52

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Laurent.

Regarding Mbiwa getting on well at Roma. It could well be that this was a failure on Pardew’s part not to persevere with this player. Personally, whenever I watched him turn out for us he looked a liability, but some players fit in better in other clubs. Managers don’t always get it right. Remember Jon Dahl Tomasson who left here for a stellar career in Europe. Forlan from Man.U. is another example. Does that make Fergie a rubbish manager ?

Magscar.

Did I get that right that Mr.Tuff is thinking that you are me and I am you ? If so, I’m flattered, and am wondering what conspiracy theory the ‘anti’s will come up with next.

• cyprus

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Ed,
    by stating that some potential managers may have told MA they don’t want to play for us and our circus you are spreading fear and hate based on your own opinion! Don’t do that man- ‘Nobody wants to work for us and the big bad owner’ (weep).

Let me illustrate: Di Mateo has just accepted a position at a club which has ambitiously spent 4.5 mil euros in transfers this summer while selling players worth more than double that 🙂 Get my point?

• cyprus

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Magscar,
    I see you are now posting regularly. As one of the oldest (not in age, in tenure) posters, please accept my welcome and recommendation to keep them short 😉