Mike Ashley In Rangers Power Play

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley has called a general meeting of the Rangers FC Board, in what looks like an attempt to oust two specific Directors from the Glasgow club.

mike ashley keith bishop hull 2-2

Mike Ashley – called for Rangers Board meeting

One of Ashley’s investment companies MASH has called for an extraordinary meeting of the Board, and it’s an attempt to remove Chief Executive Graham Wallace and Director Philip Nash from the Board.

Only last week Mike Ashley – who owns Newcastle United outright –  bought 4.26M shares from Rangers International Football Club, and that brought his stake in the Scottish club to more than 8%,  but still less than the 10% currently allowed by the Scottish FA.

This is a short statement issued by Rangers today to the London Stock Exchange:

“MASH requires the company to call a general meeting of the shareholders of the company and to put certain resolutions to shareholders for inclusion in the business at such a general meeting of the company.”

“The notice puts forward resolutions for the removal of Graham Wallace and Philip Nash as directors of the company.”

“The company is currently verifying that the Notice is properly constituted. If valid, the board intends to seek to have such notice withdrawn in order to avoid the cost and disruption of an ad hoc general meeting, particularly given the company’s forthcoming Annual General Meeting, further details of which will be announced in due course.”

Ashley elected last week to buy shares on the open market for 20p/share, and that was rather than spend the same amount on the recent Scottish club’s open offer aimed at raising £3.6M for Rangers FC to ward off another potential bankruptcy.

If he had elected to do the latter, that money would have gone straight into Rangers coffers to help them out financially.

There has been abundant speculation over the last several months that Ashley may be wanting to eventually take control of Rangers and even sell Newcastle United FC.

Newcastle fans have taken that as potential great news, whereas Rangers fans had taken that as (very) bad news. 😀

Newcastle came out a few weeks ago after the Telegraph had published an article that Mike was going to sell Newcastle United to say he would own Newcastle at least until the end of next season.

The Telegraph journalists were banned from Newcastle for writing the article – the fifth newspaper to be banned by Ashley in the last year.

This move looks like a power play by Ashley to take more control of the Scottish powerhouse.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Santon03

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:29 AM

I would love to see Raylor plays again.
    I want to see Raylor, Satka, Abeid, Ferreyra.
    Satka and Ferreyra haven’t played yet with the first team.
    ———————-Krul———————
    ——–Satka——-Colo——–Streete——-
    Raylor——–Abeid—–Collback—–Haidara
    Obertan————Cisse————–Sammy

Ferreyra, Cabella, and Perez as subs. If Santon and DeJong fit then they’re in for Collback and Haidara.

Everytime I see Pogba, I remember Sammy. Same build same style of playing.

• Average_Contents

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Or he could be attempting a power play to gain more leverage when it comes to negotiations. Let’s hope he just wants to buy them outright and these two are in the way. Imagine if he got his wish and placed JFK or wise as executive director. I’d laugh my tits off 😀

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM

looks like ashley wants his friends in rangers

• firebug666

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Repost

Ibizatoon

He is a doubt for the next game mate but my make it. The report I read said he had strained his hamstring and the was withdrawn from the Dutch squad as a precaution.

• Average_Contents

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Actually I take that back. I wouldn’t wish either of those shits on the rangers fans.

• Santon03

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Inzaghi : “Stephan El Shaarawy will be back with 1st team if he plays with his fighting spirit like others.”

I love Inzaghi, he has the balls to drop superstars for not working hard enough for the team and the players love him for that and work their socks off.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Thought this was an article about Ashley starring in a power rangers play.

Talk about disappointed.

Joking aside, Ashleys involvement with Rangers dies throw up some questions about his future investment with NUFC – however, it is just as likely, that it’s simply a smart business investment. Buy ’em cheap, sell ’em high. Who knows? Still, it’s a nice scenario for us to hold on to.

Firebug…Thanks for the info.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM

or does*

However, Ashleys involvement with NUFC can die.

• firebug666

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:43 AM

With the time scale given by the club of two seasons, before Jabba is ready to sell, and the fact that he has now started the power games with the Rangers board after increasing his stake in the club it is looking like he is getting ready to make his move on a takeover.

I can’t help but wonder with all that is going on, and the fact that the inept one is still here, if Jabba has a buyer lined up for NUFC and everything is tied to time constraints.

Maybe that’s why the inept one still has a job, Jabba is getting ready to move and the inept one will be someone else’s problem.

Whatever the reason Jabba is looking more likely to move on to Rangers.

• Santon03

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:45 AM

If we can hijack Vincenzo Montella from Fiorentina that will be awesome.
    Montella works with low budget, getting most of his players free transfers and play very attacking football.
    He proves everyone that a team with ordinary players can be extra ordinary if well managed.

• cyprus

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Santon,
    Sorry disagree regarding Raylor. He is one of the players that ‘helped’ take us down. Nice lad, good free kick, slow player.

Speaking of taking us down, someone suggested Sherwood with Shearer as managers… if we were mid-table sure, go for such experiments. Shearer is another of those who relegated us.

this season isn’t about mid-table I’m sorry to say. It’s about not being relegated. We need a gritty, no nonsense manager who will spot our strengths and ‘hide’ our weaknesses. Yep, that’s who I’m talking about, you guessed it. Give him a contract till the end of the year, if he does as well as he did in his previous team, renew for one more year. Forget these 8 year stints.

• cyprus

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Rangers sounds like a wonderful opportunity. Sleeping giant, demoralised, eager customers… much like Dunlop, Slazenger etc.

On MA getting rid of us (or us getting rid of him), I’m concerned about who might take over. How many people are billionaires who like football and a challenge like NUFC? How many, apart from some dodgy Nigerians (was it?) have shown interest? Hmm. I insist: for now, fire this manager, and worry about ownership later.

• Santon03

Oct 8, 2014 at 8:56 AM

cyprus

I don’t think you can blame just Raylor for relegation, we had Owen, Duff, Martins, Beye, Cacapa (I think that’s his name), Barton, etc.
    I don’t remember everything but I think Raylor didn’t play much during that time and he just joined mid season before relegated if I’m not mistaken.

I don’t know who suggested Sherwood and Sherarer, I did say why not try Albert, Ginola, etc as manager.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Cyrpus…I fully accept that a change of mar more realistic / easier to accomplish than getting in a new owner.

Much like you have worries over who the next owner could be, the same applies for the next manager, due to who the current owner is.

Still, it’s a starting point.

I would say though, besides the asking price for the club, any new owners wealth is irrelevant, as Ashley has us running as a self sufficient business.

• Santon03

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:03 AM

cyprus

I agree with you on ownership, I will stick with MA and change the manager. A lot of clubs working under much lower budget than ours and doing well because of good managers.

• lesh

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Average, you’ve hit the nail on the head in that Ashley’s buying more and more influence on Rangers without breaching the 10% maximum threshold.

The danger is, he could have effective control of Rangers (SD has naming rights to Ibrox as well as the club’s shop), without being outright owner and retain his stranglehold of NUFC.

What a frightening prospects and yes, the prospect of McWise, Mckinnear and McDuff (sorry, McPardew) raping that once proud club, must be making the fans think about building a Hadrian’s – type wall, 200 feet high to keep the wrecking, pillaging bustards out!

However, if Ashley does buy Rangers and sells NUFC, the club will be in a much better place, we hope.

I wish Ashley every success if he aims to buy Rangers and the ‘Gers fans will surely enjoy the success he’ll bring them, as much as we have!

• cyprus

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I think those names you mention, plus those 2 Man U rejects, helped too I agree. Yes, I think Raylor did come in Jan. Just remember him desperately trying to defend while nimble wingers were flying past him :0 Maybe it’s a bit selective, I know. The whole set up was quite poor, as it is this year!

Ginola, in any capacity, yes to come back. Perhaps our best ever player.

• custurd

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Could it be because one of them, Wallace, is in talks with a party over a £multi-million bail out which could jeapordise Ashley’s plans for the new “Sports Direct Arena”? Typical bully boy tactics from our illustrious owner! He only owns 5% and already he’s trying to pull the strings. Better get used to it, Rangers fans.

• 9

Oct 8, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Well, Im sorry I’ve come to this thread late, but I foresee strong implications for NUFC:
    Mr Ashley will take over Rangers. Rangers will soon be back in the Scottish Premier League and soon be in the Champions League, something Mr Ashley and everybody else interested in football (i.e. you and me) would be really excited about, and something that is not about to happen to the NUFC, therefore Mr Ashley will sell up.
    When we have a new owner (sometime in the next couple of years) we will have a further yardstick by which to judge our current owner’s contribution to our club.
    Any guesses (for it’s only going to be guesses) as to who might buy NUFC? At what price?