Manager Relies Too Much On Experience At Newcastle

We’re pretty sure that Mehdi Abeid will have a good career in football in future years, and the only question at the moment is whether that will be at Newcastle United.

mehdi abied in pre-season

Mehdi Abeid – waiting for his chance on Tyneside

The midfielder only turned 22 last August, so he still quite young, and he’s made only two appearances for the Magpies so far this season –  and only seven appearances in total since he joined us three years ago, as a free agent from Lens.

But last season Mehdi impressed immensely at Panathinaikos in Greece where he played 38 times with 10 goals,  and the top Greek side were very keen to sign him on a permanent basis.

Alan Pardew decided to give Mehdi his chance this season on Tyneside – and that was a good decision.

Currently Mehdi finds his way to the first team blocked by players such as Cheick Tiote, Vurnon Anita and local lad Jack Colback.

But when he has played for the first team, the technically gifted French Youth International (U16, U17 and U18) and Algerian U23 International has done well,  and looked a (very) good player.

This is what Mehdi has said about things at Newcastle today:

“I know that I can show a lot to my team-mates and the gaffer.” “I know that I can be a solution this season and if I get a chance, I will do my best for everybody.”

“I’m going to keep going, play my football and see what happens.” “Hopefully, I can prove myself here.”

Alan Pardew seems reticent to give some of our younger players a start in the Premier League, and he seems to rely – probably too much – on our more experienced players, who have not played well so far this season.

It was something Newcastle used to be criticized for in the past – and how much you cost the club often decided whether you played or not.

And even recently Pardew had a chance, after Adam Armstrong’s great performance in the League Cup at Crystal Palace, to give him  a start in the Premier League.

But the manager didn’t do that, and lately Adam hasn’t even made the bench, although he scored another two good goals for a Newcastle team earlier this week against Burnley at Benton, and he looks a top future prospect for the Magpies.

We know it’s often very difficult bringing young players through the ranks, and Alan keeps talking about all the great young players he’s brought through to the first team at other clubs.

But that hasn’t been the case at Newcastle, and maybe Alan has to give some of our younger players their chance – and they would include players like Adam, as well as Mehdi Abeid.

If you give them a start in the Premier League they may just surprise the manager by playing very well – but they need the chance to do that.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Blofal

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Hibbit I agree. I think the hardest postion in the EPL to adapt to is CB.

Even Debuchy who everyone now raves about had a pretty average first season. Mbiwa needed a season to adapt. Instead he played a handful of games at CB, LB and RB and was used as a scapegoat the moment he made an error.

I maintain that Mbiwa and HBA were made scapegoats for the second half of last season. The real scapegoats should have been Ashley for not re-enforcing the squad and Pardew for not publicly standing up to Ashley and persisting with failing tactics and players.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Blofal

Pardew had his chance to stand up to Ashley and it was when we came 5th. If he stood his ground, demanded players he’d have either gotten what he needed for his football (whether fans like that style or not isn’t the point here) or he’d have been sacked after winning manager of the season and walked into a job.

Now he has damaged his reputation so Ashley knows he can’t stand up to him, it’s either Ashley’s way or unemployment.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Alan’s Thought of the Day

“With no disrespect to Motherwell, we made them look ordinary at times.”

——

You’re excused if you thought it sounded like were playing Real Madrid with that comment.

Serial underachiever and gluttonous manipulator.

• Jeff from Benwell

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM

WTF is a gluttonous manipulator

• magscar

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Tsunki

Just spotted your earlier post to me. Sorry I try not to ignore anything put seriously to me.

Your point goes to the heart of our dilemma we fans don’t get to choose full stop. I don’t think we ever have we are as ever at the mercy of an owner’s miscalculations. Invariably these are financial ly driven but occasionally these coincide with something we actually like

My post was as an alternative to an oft repeated one on here that anyone would be better than Ashley. I wasn’t aiming my view at those who seriously campaign for change as they are only doing what they feel is right. I want a change in direction by Ashley or a new owner but I don’t see how we influence and accelerate that with a guaranteed outcome. We won Ashley in last lottery and don’t recall SirJohn asking mine or any fans groups opinion.

• lesh

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Repost

magscar

You can try to understand goings on at the club ’til you’re blue in the face and you’ll arrive at one of two conclusions about them:

Decisions have been made on impulse, recklessly or

they’ve been made on the platform of greed and an obsession with the financials while disregarding the product – entertaining football.

Either way, they’re easy to understand and cannot be condoned as good management practise in what is the entertainment industry.

Surely Magscar, you cannot really be serious about trying to understand Ashley and his methods. His greed is there for all to see.

• lesh

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM

The signs that Mehdi’s out of the door soon are there for all to see.

He’s demonstrated his potential as a good player but for whatever reasons, Pardew’ll ground him, sicken him.

Another Pardew success in bringing talent to the first team?

Bollcks, the lad’s been Pardewed!

• magscar

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Transfer Sage

I agree with your summary of the choices Pardew faced. However the issue in Pardew’s mind then as now would surely have been which job would he have walked into. Top 4 or Spurs ,Everton, Liverpool ? – that is one area that Pardew and all of the range of opinion can wholeheartedly concur with- NO!

He is and has always been at the best job he was ever going to get. Turkeys don’t vote for Christmas after all.

• Jeff from Benwell

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:33 AM

For greed read good business practice

• Offkey

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Mehdi is mates with HBA……..enough said…….he’s out.

• magscar

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Lesh

I am serious greed alone is too simplistic.

It isn’t harming me or anyone else to apparently waste my energy on this.

I have followed the arguments on here over all the years of the Blog and feel my opinion is as relevant as any other – no more and no less. In the minority? Who cares it is only a take on my club just as somtimes when in pub before game I was at odds with others views.Didn’t run to loo for look in mirror or wipe my tears away. Come to think of it pub didn’t have a mirror or door on carsey 🙂

• magscar

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Offkey

So why not take up Panathinaikos’s offer in August? More money in the pot and wages off the bill and a slap to HBA.

Seriously he is on another chance and may still go we will see.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Greed is not good business practice. A business organisation in any market has a duty to its stakeholders as it is a fundamental part of why the business functions. In our case we as fans are spat on from above.

Unfortunately football has the rare situation where blind brand loyalty overrides even the worst consumer treatment. Still, good business practice would be to work with and for the stakeholders in order to achieve growth. We do not do that.

There is more to business than profit in the modern day. Competitive advantage is achieved through less tangible methods all the time. We could grow if NUFC actually acted in the interest of all of it’s stakeholders.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Magscar

Of course not top 4 but there were rumours about spurs (and they show they appoint flavour of the month managers).

But we might be bigger than other clubs he would have gotten but as much chance if top 4 with say hull that us

• magscar

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Transfer Sage

Don’t recall Spurs link but you are right about their propensity to make decisions on spur of the moment.

What might have been eh? Why didn’t they make a move! We win and they lose – not a fan of the press’ love-in with Spurs.

Other than them Pardew must have been looking up not around him at that time.

• magscar

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Thanks all for conversation – off now as being reminded Sat is for other things and there is no footie on this pm. Might return when X factor gets going 🙂

• Jeff from Benwell

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

`stakeholder` local government gobbledeygook and doublespeak

• Ancientcoptic

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

There is where short-sightedness will get you. Pardew could have had a couple of younger players up to speed by now, after we had nothing left to play for – for the 2nd half of last season.

Pardew played the likes of Ameobi knowing full well he was leaving at the end of the season. It is plain as day that Pardew has no vision of what he wants the team to look like 10 games down the line. He will pick a side he thinks can get the best result possible, and the rest will sort itself out.

If Pardew was playing Chess, he would only be able to think one move ahead.

• Jeff from Benwell

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Stakeholder“““`A party that has an interest in an enterprise or
    project. The primary stakeholders in a typical corporation are its investors in other words Mike Ashley ““`the fans are customers no more no less

• Jeff from Benwell

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Ancientcoptic There is where short-sightedness will get you. If Pardew was playing Chess, he would only be able to think one move ahead“So what about the 2 Nottingham lads““Think before you make dopey comments

• lesh

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Jeff..

‘Stakeholder’ is a concept I first came across in the 90s, not in local government as you suggest, but in a major UK blue-chip company that continues to pride itself on its reputation for delivering quality products and meeting customer needs while it primary focuses on maximising profit.

Now then Jeff, where do Ashley’s ethics differ?

• thevirus

Oct 11, 2014 at 2:55 PM

Why doesn’t pardew play the Young lad Perez from what I’ve seen of him he’s a world class finisher and I think would be awesome upfront with cisse, that’s just my opinion not really sure we need a big target man like some people say.Give it a try at least as nothing else is working for the muppet