Newcastle Will Be Without Two Best Players Soon

The African Cup of Nations takes place every two years, rather than the other major International competitions like the European Championships and the World Cup,  which take place every four years.

papiss cisse senegal

Papiss Cisse – has been in sparkling form for Newcastle

And that means Premier League clubs lose some of their best players for six weeks, right in the middle of the season.

And with Senegal and Ivory Coast both in the top two of their respective qualifying groups, it looks like both countries will likely qualify for the 30th edition of the finals of the competition, to be held in Morocco for the second time from 17th January to 8th February next year.

Cheick will play for Ivory Coast in Abidjan against Group D leaders DR Congo on Wednesday night, and Papiss will play some part in Tunisia in a crucial game of Group G – with both countries currently tied on 7 points.

Papiss played in the second half of the 0-0 draw on Saturday night at home to Tunisia and Cheick played the whole game in the 2-1 win at DR Congo.

There are seven groups and the top two countries in each group qualify for the finals, with the best third placed team also going through along with the hosts Morocco. and it looks like Senegal and Ivory Coast are very likely to qualify.

We’ll just have to hope Newcastle are not in the relegation zone come January, and that we get a goalscorer in who can get some goals for us, because it looks like we will be missing Papiss for at least a month in January.

The players report to their training camps two weeks before the first game and that usually means they will play in the 3rd round of the FA Cup in early January, and then leave for the competition.

And if their countries do well they will not return to their clubs until after 8th February, which is when the final takes place.

And it’s a slack day of news for Newcastle today – we know that because for about the third time in four weekends, the top news is that Newcastle would like to sign Andy Carroll in January, and he will be offered to his previous club by West Ham United.

The Chronicle is also calling it an exclusive.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• optimistic prime

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Ed

Stop preparing Pardews excuses 😉

• mag92

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM

The longer Ashley keeps faith with Pardew the closer to the Championship the club gets. Get moyes in!

• Thump

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Christ, I forgot the ACoN ban was up.

• optimistic prime

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I hope Moyes gets a new job before Pardews sacked and I hope Andy Carol never plays for NUFC again.

No wonder I feel drained concerning NUFC if their the future we should expect.

• cyprus

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM

This is trouble! But, being a big club, I’m sure we’ve planned for it 😉

On managers, I see the debate rages. On Sherwood, their fans didn’t want him. I liked his passion and honesty, but now we don’t need experiments. We’re knee deep in relegation trouble and we need one of them experts, at least until the end of the year.

As we stand, I wouldn’t want a continental manager, although that would have been my first choice in ‘normal’ circumstances. Fulham tried that and look what happened there. What a mess.

• Thump

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:10 PM

@cyprus: I really liked Sherwood and I’d probably have him here tbh. The problem with him is a similar issue with Keegan – he didn’t have a clue what to do when he was under the kosh. He knew how to attack and as much as he tried to defend, he couldn’t do it. Maybe if we made Pardew a defensive coach! haha

• cyprus

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Right on Thump

• optimistic prime

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Cyprus

Read your reply the other day reference the advertising.

I see where your coming from.
    I’m not sure the numbers it would cost Ashley to sponsor a club and get his advertising but it isn’t just ads in the ground SD are benefiting from.
    Is there any sponsor that’s gets the coverage SD does everytime NUFC are in the news. I’d say not one comes close.

There’s no other club I can think of where if there’s a story on the club there sponsor or some product they advertise is mentioned in every story, only match reports don’t mention SD and that’s even changing.

IMO no company or product gets any where near the publicity or coverage that SD does from us.

I think you mentioned £14 mil to sponsor a team, which as a rule you’ll only really see match days and on kits.

I bet I could go out and buy the Papers on any day and find at least 5 stories involving SD and NUFC.
    I’ve heard SD mentioned on football focus motd sky sports etc, no sponsor gets that.

Ashley is a marketing genius, shame it’s our club he uses.
    He’d only get away with it with us due to southern press having no time for us and the fact we have such a huge fan base.

We’ve always got at least the same amount of press as any of the top four, £14mil wouldn’t cover the ink and paper the club and SD are mentioned on together.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM

anybody on here watch the rugby match last night between St. Helens and Wigan.

After about two or three minutes i saw something and thought that didn’t happen did it.

• Thump

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM

@welsh: Did people realise that Rugby is shit and walk away from it?

• cyprus

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM

OP,
    I read you and I see your point. My concern is, bad publicity just isn’t easily translated to advertising. Many a company has closed because of bad publicity…

I too think this MA guy is a marketing genius, but I am surprised why he hasn’t managed to transfer that to NUFC and make us into a world wide brand. I mean, that would make sense. He buys beaten, downtrodden decent brands (e.g. dunlop etc.) and proceeds to turn it around. I thought maybe that’s what he wanted (wants?) to do with ‘beaten’, sleeping giant NUFC.

Obviously, if I’m reading him, something went wrong along the way 😉

But, playing a game of ‘make them hate me so that I can get publicity and make money’, well that’s too dangerous a ‘game’ for a successful billionaire to play, it would seem.

• scout

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I wonder how much money MA spends per month in his personal life?

• welshgeordie9

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Still watching the replay of the incident can’t believe he punched him twice 1st time when both are standing then he punched him again while on top of him on the floor.

For your information as well boyo rugby is not shit.

• midweek weekend

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:03 PM

a loss on the weekend and pardew still wont be sacked imo, so anyone wanting us to lose its just irrelevant, we seriously need points or we will be stuck in this relegation scrap all season, don’t get me wrong i want him gone as much as anyone, bottom line is we all want him gone if ashley sacks him he will be giving us what we want and he wont do that.

a sad sad situation we find ourselves in i just cant see any way out of this rut until hes gone.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM

midweek weekend

He will go, i just hope it’s not when we have only got five games to go.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:12 PM

It’s only a matter of when and not if.

Especially when it comes to our 10th game, because if we don’t win any games by then he will go in my opinion. Ashely won’t leave it late well I hope not.

• lesh

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Sing in the corner…..

This might help you understand the concept of being Pardewed:

• optimistic prime

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Cyprus

Like you I can’t understand why he does what he does, maybe it’s because of the threats to his family but who really knows.

If he wanted he could make us successfull using his current formula plus letting us spend tv money, it seems like he handicaps is on purpose then Percy says we can’t compete.

To be honest I’m lost I can’t understand any of his thinking or plans, he can’t be that dumb as to think Pardew and JFK are competent premier league managers.
    What I mean is would anyone else entrust £150 million to that pair?

• midweek weekend

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:35 PM

welshgeordie9

of course im just speculating on pardews future, i think we all feel this man can murder someone and not get sacked, but know this the day he is sacked im going out to party even got a nice bottle of moet ready haha

• Thump

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:44 PM

@midweek: I keep asking that question and nobody can give an answer: what exactly does it take for him to be sacked? I personally know people who have (recently) been fired from their jobs over associating with a certain group on Twitter, and even some who have been fired based on lies spread by a vindictive little bar steward… Pardew has physically assaulted at least two people and yet remains in a job. It’s mind boggling.

• toon kk

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:46 PM

MA knew what he was doing in the transfer window, he simply took a gamble, now the club is paying the price.
    All this talk of AC coming back doesn’t surprise me, he is a Pardew style player, who happens to be very injury prone. MA already bought one and yep he’s out injured.

We’ll struggle until January then Mash will spend, he’ll have to. But let’s hope it’s not too late.

• Thump

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM

More importantly… do we want to see what happens when Pardew gets sacked? It’ll drag us well into the dirt.

• magscar

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Optimistic Prime

When Ashley took over the long term plan was to make club self sufficient and to then up spending in line with profit. Somewhere as long the line he changed his mind

• optimistic prime

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Lesh

That article is spot on, missing around another ten names though 😉

Magscar

Ye mate, I wonder what changed his mind.

Or was he just lying from the start and just wanted us as a mobile advertising hoarding?

• optimistic prime

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM

What will get Pardew sacked?

Let’s start a rumour he’s been seeing Ashley’s missus 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:57 PM

sing in the corner

could your mind get any narrower.

A lot of people would take us losing to get rid of this clown before he takes down.

The ”bigger picture” to you is probably one you saw in a Noddy book.

being pardewed is when good players are made to look sh–e by being constantly played out of position and not to their strengths. Is that simple enough for you.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM

* takes us down

prime

that’s the rumour I’ve been hoping for for a while. surely we could honey trap him!!!

• Rotonda heights

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM

do we want to see what happens when Pardew gets sacked?

JUST A FEW THOUSAND or put another way 93% according to a recent survey!!!!

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Well said, Rotonda.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM

FFS Injury Prone Andy Carroll is NOT GOOD ENOUGH for us!!!

• optimistic prime

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Rotonda

I like your enthusiasm but who could we honey pot the king with?

Is there any lady the king would entertain?

• optimistic prime

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:13 PM

• magscar

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Sorry posted early

….Or he never intended to. I speculated the other day that his appointments were phases Hughton cheap option who with help of senior figures in dressing room got us up but Ashley then concerned at continued influence of those players on Hughton.

He is moved on and we enter into the Pardew phase another cheap option. At that stage I believe he was still on plan but Pardew was not going to be the spender.
    A fluke season with prospect of some team or England coming in for him perhaps persuaded him to give 8 year contract. If he goes he gets big money as compo.

I am concerned that the retention of Pardew despite results and furore is because within the limitations of what he now wants from the manager Pardew is still an option. He is gambling that we turn a corner and he can bring the players we needed in August in January. If we survive but have not entertained fans he won’t be bothered.

This is what happened couple seasons ago.Club is on record as saying winter market is better value than summer one. Might have been but other clubs are aware of our tactics now. Other problem is we will be desperate for CB and Striker and it is then a sellers market not a buyer’s one.

As club is now self sufficient and Pardew hasn’t been sacked I fear he has stalled on his plan possibly permanently. Pardew will never be given freedom with the budget.

Only hope is that Ashley hasn’t been able to reach agreement with whoever he wanted for the next phase – more freedom to buy and sell. However I suspect that plan has been jettisoned and he is content to gamble on finishing mid-table until he sells.
    Only trying to piece together what is a difficult to understand situation from a football perspective.

• toon22

Oct 12, 2014 at 7:55 PM

If i had to choose our next manager id pick Glen Hoddle.
    With Sir Les as his assistant.

I would also insist our who coaching setup was replaced with some decent coaches from Europe.

• Go toon gooooo

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:00 PM

If Tiote and Cisse are not here temporarily it is not the end of the world.Solutions are:
    1.Playing Sissoko DM instead of Tiote.
    2.Playing Sammy Ameobi as a striker instead of Cisse.This would be an experiment but I think that would be useful at the end.Better than Riviere sleeping there alone.

• Jeff from Benwell

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Pardew is fire proof If we were to get relegated AP would still be allowed to try and bring us back up With the one season parachute payents a season down is nothing

• firebug666

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:38 PM

magscar

I think the inept on would have been long gone if Jabba had not stitched himself up with the 8 year contracts.

I believe the purpose of those contracts were simply because the inept one was being touted for the England job, and if he had got it the FA would have to pay Ashley the compensation for his contract, plus that of the staff the inept one would take with him.

Stupid as the FA are, they are not that stupid, and we are left with another of Jabba’s mistakes to contend with, even if it means relegation.

Jabba is upset, because while he was attempting to screw the FA over all he has succeeded in, is screwing the fans over, and himself.

• Thump

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM

…bloody hell I didn’t think of that.

• firebug666

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Thump

It’s the only scenario that makes any sense to me.

• magscar

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Firebug666

Could be but I don’t think Ashley is as stupid to leave contract as open as having to pay up remaining years . There was speculation in press round time of the Hull game that it may have been as little as 1year. Don’t know how they would know unless Ashley leaked it but why would he?

Of course not only did Pardew get 8 years but so did Carver Stone and Woodman and they would also have to go.

Maybe it is as simple as suggested but he must be calculating where the tipping point is as he cannot afford another relegation. He will lose a fortune in PL money and any forced sale.