Allardyce – It Was The Power Of Newcastle That Attracted Me

Big Sam Allardyce has looked back on his management career, and it looks like he will never manage a club bigger than Newcastle United, but he was only on Tyneside for a short eight months, before new owner Mike Ashley pulled the plug on his time at the club.

sam allarduyce newcastle

Sam Allardyce while at Newcastle United

It’s an exclusive in the Express, and Sam looks back on his career and his time at Newcastle, and when he was appointed in the summer of 2007, things were looking up with Freddy Shepherd still running the club, but then Mike Ashley then bought the club:

“It ended up where I couldn’t get that bigger or better club, so I think there must have been something in my career that stopped me,”

“I think it was Newcastle. Had that been successful with Freddy Shepherd, the man who appointed me, staying on, I might have got an even bigger club than Newcastle.”

“I don’t blame Mike Ashley, because when you pay that amount for a football club and you know what you want to do with it, sometimes you like to get rid of the furniture you have inherited.”

“But from a career point-of-view it was a massive blow. It was the spending, the power of Newcastle that attracted me. I’d had limited funds at Bolton and it was the opportunity for the bigger pot – and Freddy wanted to emulate the success they had in the Kevin Keegan era.”

“With Mike taking over those funds never materialized. I had lined up moves for Phil Jaglielka, Luka Modric and Branislav Ivanovic – people on my Bolton recruitment database.”

“Not big stars but quality players and with the finances I was being promised at Newcastle, we could have done something.”

It was a massive blow to Sam when he was fired from Newcastle, although he was well compensated, but at the time it wasn’t thought that Sam could get Newcastle playing the type of football that Newcastle were accustomed to playing – an attacking style.

And Sam’s right about the funds not being available from Mike Ashley – they have never been available almost seven years after Sam was fired from the club.

It’s been a huge disappointment to Newcastle fans that Mike Ashley is one of the few Billionaires owning a Premier League club, who is not too interested in putting any of his own money into the club.

Mike did loan Newcastle £130M to cover the loans we had outstanding, and he is not taking any interest on that, but Newcastle have simply become an advertising vehicle for his Sports Direct company – that’s what’s happened over the last seven and a half years at Newcastle United.

It’s not great.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Interest = fees, to-mato=tom-ato

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Tuff, excellent idea nevertheless.

• magscar

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Ed’s done me again. Too late to try to repost. Giving up for night

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Jail, is it illegal to fly one with or without a camera on the drone? Or is it both?

• mecannylad

Oct 15, 2014 at 11:48 PM

A £1000 shop bought drone offers control from your Iphone of around 500 yards range via GPS signalling.. Flight batteries would last 30mins and such a device could carry 5lbs in weight. (a banner)
    Smuggling a drone into the ground would be easy.Launching it from within SJP without detection from stewards might need some creative planning however … but controlling it is as straightforward and as commonplace as using an app on your mobile phone.
    Of course it could be construed as illegal – most things can if you really want it to be …but so what.

• Sav

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:07 AM

The obvious answer is to attack the brand, not the man. Both Sports Direct and Wonga won’t stick around too long with placards and flags stating they are crap, exploitative and unwelcome in Newcastle. To get rid of Ashley and the shirt sponsors, I believe that is the effective way to do it.

• Canny in Canberra

Oct 16, 2014 at 4:55 AM

Why not create our own brand.

If all the money from shirts is going to SD then lets get other shirts made and sell them. Some one across our huge fan base must have links in the clothing industry.

It won’t have the NUFC badge on because that’s what he’s bought but hell lets re-deisgn the badge. Companies re-brand all the time. This is no different. We’ll get something more relvant and up to date. Never was quite sure about the Seahorses. Can someone explain those perhaps.

Once we’d covered cost to the supplier the rest could be put into the club. This of course will only work once Ashley is gone. Hopefully I’ll win Powerball this weekend and I can make a start while i’m waiting for all you like minded donations to come through.

• Jeff from Benwell

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Newcastle have simply become an advertising vehicle for his Sports Direct company – that’s what’s happened over the last seven and a half years at Newcastle United.

It’s not great.

However it is not the end of the world

• Canny in Canberra

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:51 AM

These extra millions in TV right coming through is surely a good thing for us.

Maybe it’ll inspire MA to spend enough money to keep us up at least. Long enough for me to win Powerball and buy him out.

• Canny in Canberra

Oct 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM

Jeff
    You seem to be a bit of an Oracle on NUFC. Can you throw some light on the Seahorses for me?