Merson’s Surprising Forecast For Newcastle Game Tomorrow

In his weekly Sky Sports predication today, Paul Merson does not think Newcastle can get their first win of the season at home to Leicester City tomorrow.

paul merson

Paul Merson – predicts a 2-2 draw

Here is how the 46 year-old former Aston Villa and England midfielder summed up the game for Sky Sports:

“This is one of those games where the Newcastle fans will turn up expecting to win. They drew their last game with Swansea, which was a bit of a bonus because a lot of people didn’t expect them to get anything there, but the expectations will be different here because they’re at home to a promoted side.”

“I know Leicester are doing great, but the pressure will be on the home players. I think it’s a hard game because Leicester will fancy their chances. Newcastle will bomb forward and they could get caught on the break by the pace of Jamie Vardy – so this could be a wide-open and gung-ho game. A draw is no good for Newcastle, but I see that happening.”

“PAUL PREDICTS: 2-2”

And the Newcastle fans are not too confident we can get the win either, with only 38% thinking we can get all 3 points tomorrow, and get our first win of the season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Leicester City?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

If we cannot win tomorrow, it’s going to continue to be gloom and doom on Tyneside, and as Paul says,  a draw is no good for Newcastle. 🙁

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• santonthenewmaldini

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Dont really see a problem with Merson’s predictions

On paper with a decent manager who knows what he is doing we should be wiping the floor with Leicester every time they come to our ground BUT …..

We have Pardew as manager so its likely we will invite them onto us and they will score first forcing us to throw bodies forward to get a goal back which leaves us wide open

• Lilongwe Geordie

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:13 AM

JackW,
    14th with Pardew, maybe, but I wouldn’t be too confident on that. I’d say current players with a decent manager would get us 10th to 12th. The margins will be fine from 13th down I reckon with probably only around 5points covering 13th to 18th. I wouldn’t expect a new manager to come in and work miracles with what we have, but if he came in now we may at least see an initial upturn with a slight overall improvement which will keep us safe.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Bomb forward, Paul? Someone doesn’t watch our games.

• Average_Contents

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:25 AM

We need to go at them from the off it’s as simple as that really. No playing with 2 CDM’S and a lone striker. It just doesn’t work with the players we have.

Two up top with cabella in behind pulling the strings with tiote, sissoko and colback behind him in a diamond formation.

Janmaat-willo/staylor-colo-hairdryer

Tiote

Sissoko————–colback

Cabella

Rivvy——–Cisse

Or:

Same back four

Sissoko Tiote Colback

Rivvy Cisse Cabella

If they dont work we can switch to a 4-4-2 replacing sissoko with sameobi.

Never going to happen though is it….just wasted 5 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM

What’s surprising about this Ed?

I’d say it’s probably the fairest prediction I’ve seen.

Now, what is surprising is that you haven’t consulted the oracle of football predictions that is Lawro!

Newcastle v Leicester

Along with Burnley, Newcastle are one of only two teams waiting for their first Premier League win of the season.

The Magpies have only picked up two points from their last three games but the key for me was that they did so by fighting back to draw from 2-0 down on each occasion.

Also encouraging for Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is that Papiss Cisse is getting fitter and is back in the goals, scoring four times from the bench in the same period.
    Papiss Cisse celebrates his equaliser against Swansea

Papiss Cisse celebrates his equaliser against Swansea

Leicester will not lie down and we know they do not make it easy for teams.

Their pace will cause Pardew’s side problems, but I think he will get that elusive first win this weekend, and it might be another manager’s turn to be under pressure.

Lawro’s prediction: 2-1

Roddy’s prediction: There seems to be a lot of intelligence in the Leicester set-up and I think they will do a job on Newcastle. 1-2

• nut meg

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:33 AM

The pace & movement of Vardy will be a huge factor tomorrow.One of the quickest forwards in the PL against probably the slowest defence = a no contest for me.We’ll need 2 goals to get a draw…here’s hoping.

• runheed

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Ha ha ha. Merson? We had all put his in the ‘draw at best’ box anyway. Feeble.

• Toon Tang

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I wonder if he’s stuck his house on the outcome?..

• toon kk

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM

There’s nothing wrong with Mersons predictions, he could be right.
    We all at least if we’re honest with ourselves know we have a poor squad not capable of competing in the premier league. Maybe with a new manager we might escape relegation.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM

The propaganda machine is in full force against the voice of protest, I was at the Palace, Everton and Swansea games last season where arguably the worst football ever seen at St James was presented. The fans were, especially against Everton very supportive of the team, this did not prevent our worst ever run of form in the PL, who is to blame, some fans think it’s Pardew while others think it’s Mike Ashleys fault, one of them won’t say anything about it while the other blatantly thinks it’s the fans of our 125 year old establishment that are the cause of our woes.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 17, 2014 at 9:53 AM

magscar,
    I just noticed how long that sentence was, could you please point out where I should have used full stops and capitals as I don’t want it to spoil your read.

• Canny in Canberra

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Chin up a average.
    It’s always when things seem at the worst we pull it out the bag. That’s why we love this shite so much. It’s no fun if it’s easy.

I’ll be there again up till stupid o’clock to watch it live. Wrecking myself for the rest of the week. Never seem quite as tired when we win like funny that eh?

• runheed

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM

A couple more commas Jail, and you’re right. The comment is valid.

• runheed

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Canny. I’m in SA. I’ve been very tired lately…. How long sinc e we won?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:09 AM

runheed,
    Thanks’ taken on board !

• G

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:10 AM

runheed @ 14, so long ago that the country you are standing in probably was still a dutch slave colony mate.

• Go toon gooooo

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Winning image:
    Krul
    Anita—-Steven Taylor—Coloccini—-Haidara
    ——————Tiote———————
    Obertan——————————Aarons
    —————–Cabella
    ——————————–Riviere——
    ————Demba Cisse
    Newcastle 1:0 Paul Merson.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I went for a win. Simply because whenever it looks like Pardew can go on no longer, he always scrapes a result that he can use to pretend everything is all fine. We will win tomorrow I have no doubt about that.

Unfortunately I think it’s too late, he should have gone after Southampton. I think we will get humiliated in Decemember and morale will be devastated by January and the wheels will be in motion for relegation.

• runheed

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Bugger. How long can we wait before the next zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Geremi,
    I don’t think I care anymore, all those people who say it’s Mikey’s’ club he can do what he wants with it may have finally got to me, yes it’s his, let him get on with it.

• Canny in Canberra

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Du heed

Too effing long!!!

• Canny in Canberra

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Sorry Runheed

Need to invest in an iPad doing this from phone sucks

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Jail –

Agreed. I just find myself doing other things these days and caring less and less about all of it. It’s lost the enjoyment factor and is becoming more stress and frustration than it’s worth.

• Slank

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM

As AC has rightly said, we need to be off and at them from the start.

No point having a pretty 4-2-3-1 formation. It hasn’t worked. We need a good old fashioned blood and thunder approach. That means that the emphasis is on attack. Risks have to be taken and therefore I would go with two in midfield (Tiote and Colback) and four (yes 4 !) upfront.

We need two wingers and two strikers. My team:

Krul
    Janmaat – Willo – Colo – Haidara
    Tiote – Colback
    Obertan – Riviere – Cisse – Ameobi

If we can get behind their defence down the wings and get the ball into the penalty area Riviere and Cisse will score.

In the second half I would replace Obertan, Riviere and Ameobi with Sissoko, Cabella and Aarons respectively to keep up the pace and momentum.

I see us scoring at least 4.

• Toon-Prodigy

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Under the pressure we are and the current predicament.

I still take us to win tomorrow.

1-0 or 2-1. But i’d love an onslaught to boost some confidence in these new lads. Erm, and Obertan who I think is woeful.

We are only ever going to finish in mid-table anyway under Ashley’s policies but damn I need an NUFC win for my fix.

Im clucking.

• jazzyp

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Ya right ed, A draw is no good for Nufc. Like Raylor being in the first team.
    Steps back and none forward

• Kebabacus

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Aarons is injured, isn’t he?

• Average_Contents

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Another record looms for the king to break. Yay.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Average…I’m wondering how many records there are left to break for wor Pards?

• the ledge

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Newcastle United – A rough guide to being “Pardewed”
    http://backpagefootball.com/newcastle-united-rough-guide-pardewed/85725/ this is spot on

• mecannylad

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I keep trying to tell myself, it’s only a game.
    But the worse it gets the more obsessed I become.
    This manager should not still be in charge; hard facts say it all…full stop.
    It’s only a game … it’s only a game … it’s only a game.
    Somebody see sense … for God’s sake.
    Howay the lads.

• mindshaft

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM

@Jail – no exclamation marks… tut tut!!

Following on from an average 15 min spell against a poor Swansea team we now go into a game where Leicester will harry us and chase every ball down, they have speed on the counter attack and will look to play on the shoulder of collo / willo knowing they can win any race for balls played over the top – Cisse will be knackered from his trip.
    I therefore predict yet another depressing defeat and more Pardew excuses afterwards

• Average_Contents

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Ibiza

Who knows mate but I have every confidence in the king to weed them out and break them.

• dazzler

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I wonder what kind of PR spin can be applied if we were to lose on Saturday to soften the blow.

Sadly, I think we will draw and again it will be spun into a positive result. Leicester are playing well and are well organised but at home we should still be getting the points but I can’t see it happening. Bore draw for me and Pards lives to fight another day.

• runheed

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Can we recreate a geordie heartland ‘somewhere over the rainbow’….

• dazzler

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Maybe we need to set up a fan run club like the Man Utd fans did in protest of the Glazers. NUFC United, put your donations in the basket chaps

• magscar

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:18 PM

JFA
    Might have some good news for you (and the rest of us). Just heard on news on car radio something about Labour have something in their manifesto about a increased rights for Supporters Trusts to gave a say in their club. Didn’t catch all of it but might give some hope of curbing Ashley?

Bearing in mind Labour will have to have biggest majority at next election and this piece of legislation wouldn’t be one of their first to be actioned then no-one wants to consider burning their banners just yet. He could be long gone by then!

Btw your earlier sentence was fine for me – commas were great aid. You haven’t come close to surpassing your giant one of a few nights ago 🙂

• Average_Contents

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Truly disgraceful.

Newcastle are without a league victory in eight matches.
    Alan Pardew’s side have conceded two or more goals in nine of their last 12 league games at St James’ Park.
    The Magpies are the only side yet to score first in a Premier League game this season.
    Out of the 17 ever-present Premier League sides in 2014, Newcastle have earned the fewest points (20), scored the fewest goals (21) and conceded the most (49).
    Papiss Cisse has not scored in consecutive league appearances since netting in six games in a row between March-April 2012.

• Average_Contents

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Magscar

Read that the other day. They also want a fan to sit on the board, cue JFK the new number 1 nufc fan 😐