Marveaux Showing Vast Improvement In France

We had thought when Sylvain Marveaux moved to Guingamp on a season long loan in the summer, that would be the last we would see of him, but given what’s happened so far this season, maybe that Sylvain could still be at Newcastle next year at this time.

Sylvain Marveaux +ACF+Fiorentina+v+EA+Guingamp+1xWz6O4dfatl

Sylvain Marveaux playing against Fiorentina

Sylvain has lots of skills – much like Gabby Obertan – but for one reason or another he didn’t make it at Newcastle, and he wasn’t given too many chances either.

But the way Gabby Obertan seems to have transformed his career at Newcastle so far this season (but he also has to keep it up), maybe Sylvain will think he can give it another go on Tyneside next summer.

Guingamp are in the Europa League this season after finishing 5th last season, after they were promoted back to Ligue 1, but are currently struggling this season, and second bottom of the French league, and the club’s President Bertrand Desplat has been speaking to France Football.

“Playing the Europa League has allowed us to approach profiles of different players from previous years. They came from reputable exclusive clubs, like Sylvain or Sambou Yatabare on loan from Olympiakos.”

Jocelyn Gourvennec is the manager at the French club and he had this to say:

“We know that when operating at his level, he’s not a player for Guingamp. His future is not here, he has the qualities to evolve well above. He has used us as a springboard but it does not bother us at all. We do a little of Newcastle’s work, they are going to get a hell of a player.”

The 28 year old player joined Newcastle from Rennes as a free agent in the summer of 2011, on a five year deal so his contract runs out in the summer of 2016.

Newcastle may want to sell him next summer, before he runs down his contract at the club, but it will be interesting to see what happens next summer with Sylvain who had made 57 appearances with two goals for the Magpies.

Ben Arfa’s contract runs out next summer and he will become a free agent, and we expect Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa to sign on at Roma full time in January, so those two French Internationals will not be coming back to Newcastle.

And Sylvain may be starring in France, but there’s also a big difference between the French League and the English Premier League.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• 70TWO

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – V – Bayern Munich tonight?

• mag92

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Marveaux never got a decent run in the side, rather like Obertan who is showing Pardew up for the incompetent oaf that he is.

• Jeff from Benwell

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:33 PM

• G

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Marv always seems to be a player who operates in fits and bursts. I was really excited when we signed him, but very rarely did I see him put a shift in. Perhaps that’s down to the lack of oportunity?

• Thump

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:35 PM

That’s what happens when players get regular football.

• mag92

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:37 PM

This french guy has moved well up in betting odds from nowhere and the bookies seldom get it wrong.

• mag92

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Take young Armstrong for example he played against Palace, then he’s dropped by Pardew Abied and Sammy are the same limited game time and then they are expected to play like world beaters when they finally get 10 minutes.

• beermonkey

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM

70two

all on his his own him v munich seems a bit cruel

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Is anyone else as excited as me as getting the opportunity to see Pardew re-Pardew a player?

We may even luck out and get to see it happen to two players in Marveaux and MBiwa.

Exciting times.

• beermonkey

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:47 PM

mag92

I agree on players come in do well and dropped
    I fully expect taylor to be dropped yet we kept a clean sheet

but on obertan he had a fair crack in his first season and if you take the goal out of it he still not setting the world alight he never has his head up still a poor player in a poorer team

• Mister Tuff

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM

70TWO – last thread you posted :-
    “It is almost like you resent Obertan scoring and the team winning”….

Because I suggest Obertron is a poor player I fail to see how you can come to the conclusion that I resent him scoring and the team winning.
    I never resent any Toon player scoring or the Team winning.
    I would be obliged if you could explain your line of thinking which brought you to this conclusion. Many thanks in advance.

• 70TWO

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Jeff

Having extended his contract at St Etienne, I think Christophe Galtier is saying that he does not want to extend again for a second season.
    “…I wondered if I could do better, if I had the strength, energy and desire…..Only my wife and I have discussed my personal situation and, after five days, I said yes.”

Seems quite positive that he will be changing at the end of the season.

• 70TWO

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Mister Tuff @11

I am very glad for your clarification and I can only explain my own ascertain by way of becoming jaded by both the poor performances of the team and the continuing negativity that the situation generates. I in no way intended to undervalue your support of the team as I enjoy your contributions to the blog.

• Spoof

Oct 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Has anyone seen MYM play for Roma, he is dreadful, as bad as what he was here the only difference being that Roma are better at hiding his inadequacies than what we were, and Sylvain Marveaux with no goals and only one assist in nine league games has shot Guincamp up the the dizzy heights of second from bottom of the very weak French league.

• 70TWO

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM

beermonkey

‘One man verses the greatest team from the German League’, sounds like the trailer for a Hollywood blockbuster. But it would really show AP up.

• stuart no9

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM

jeff @3 —– yeah would be a good article – if i could understand it ! whats it aboot ?

• lesh

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Ah! It’s finally occurred why Pardew drops players when they go well.

Being a caring soul, he wants to give everybody the opportunity of showing their talents off on the big stage.

If they’re good, they’re dropped and if they’re poor, then Pardew will play them and play them until they reach the required standard to be dropped.

And sp it goes on with players like Colo and Willo getting chance after chance to prove themselves.

Now that’s what I call a player’s manager!

• Mister Tuff

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:12 PM

70TWO – thanks for your reply.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Spoof…I’ve only seen MBiwa play once for Roma, against Man City, but I thought he played fairly well. Yes, still some last ditch tackles etc, however, he certainly is no worse than either Colo, Willo or Taylor. Difference is, at least he has potential.

Has Marv really only got one assist? He’s right, that’s one hell of a player 🙂

• lesh

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:14 PM

70TWO

If Galtier wants to do better for himself, he’ll not be joining us under Pardew.

Would you in Galtier’s shoes? I wouldn’t!

• 70TWO

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Spoof

That is that bubble burst then. From what I saw of him against ManC he was pretty much the same and the Premiership may not be the best league for him, however all players make mistakes. I think Mbiwas were highlighted playing for a poor NUFC and his confidence was drained by not being played and then out of position, which contributed to him appearing even worse.

• 70TWO

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM

lesh – re: Galtier

I was responding to the article Jeff posted and not continuing my earlier hypothetical situation about only changing the coaching support staff. Potentially Galtier would be an ideal replacement for AP.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Spoof

Yes I have seen MYM playing for Roma and I’m afraid you are talking utter B—–ks. He looks confident, pacey, good on the ball and an organiser again. Indeed he has had several M.O.Ms whilst there under Rui Garcia. In fact Mapou is displaying all the things we got him for before he was pardewed.

It’s funny MYM and Marveaux look reborn and Benny seems to be enjoying life against Hull.

We can’t risk the futures of people like Armstong any more with this cretinous oaf in charge.

• 70TWO

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM

They would do well to offer replacement tickets to a home game, in order to ensure there was a crowd to support them.

• Average_Contents

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Funny that isn’t it. He’s managing to stay in his preferred position for a team competing for the Scudetto AND playing champions league football too. If he was as bad as you say then surely Garcia would see this and he’d not be playing nor would he be picking up motm awards. Just sounds like your trying to justify the kings decision in getting rid.

He never got a decent run here and even when he did get more than 2 games on the bounce in his preferred CB position, colomity strolled back in and he got dropped. Simple as that.

Rudi Garcia or the king….decisions, decisions eh.

• toon kk

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Any player would do and seem better at another club, there training and in most cases there team mates would be far better, not to mention their manager.
    Also getting away from the Cashley circus is bound to make a difference.

• 70TWO

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:34 PM

• GeordieTwo

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:51 PM

It’s amazing how players who no longer have Pardew as their manager suddenly improve drastically. Hmmm. Where are the Pardew defenders to explain this? Of course it could all be coincidence or an evil scheme to make Alan look bad I suppose. 😯

• GeordieTwo

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:54 PM

We used to complain endlessly about Big Sam on here. But let’s all take a look at the standings shall we? He must be laughing his head off when he sees where Newcastle have ended up under Ashley and Pardew. We really have a pair of sad sacks in charge with nothing but excuses to offer.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Dross dross dross dross!
    Let’s sing it together!
    Dross dross dross dross!
    Sad sacks in 18th place under Pardew and Ashley.

• JP...from The Rock

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:19 PM

What a waste of our most technically gifted players!!

• The next Mike Williamson

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I fear for Adam Armstrong now Obertan has got ahead of him. Obertan was rubbish vs Leicester until they left huge spaces for him to run into. How often will he get the benefit of virtually playing against no-one. He only looks half decent on the break and isnt quick enough in the head to operate in tighter situations. How many times did Shola trick us into thinking he was finally improving.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:40 PM

If I was manager our team this year without De Jong would have been :

——————————-Krul——————————

–Janmaat——–Lascalles——-M’biwa——–Haidara–

——————————-Tiote—————————–

——–Sissoko—————————–Marveaux——–

——————————Cabella—————————

———HBA———————————-Cisse———-

I guarantee it wouldn’t have taken us this long to get our first win .

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Is anyone else thinking that a loss to Spurs will set us right back to where we were before the Hull game?

The win was alright vs Leicester and we needed it but we’re still in the bottom 3 with arguably the roughest run in in the league throughout Nov/Dec. Pardew should still be seriously worried. We just don’t look good at all.

• toonicle

Oct 21, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Bit off topic, but where is Ferreyra anyways? Is he really so bad that we can’t even give him a sub appearance despite our goal struggles? I know youtube isn’t the greatest judge but he looked quick and had a good shot on him from what I saw.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Good evening ladies your welsh champion is in the house.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:08 PM

i see that no bodies beaten my record yet then.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I don’t won’t to brag or be a big head but how can I put this.

I AM THE BEST

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 21, 2014 at 6:16 PM

welsh, you really are a half witted fool !