Newcastle Youngster Impressive – On Fast Track For England?

Rolando Aarons does not want to be compared to Liverpool’s Raheem Sterling, who at 19 years old, has already played 11 times for England, but if Rolando keeps up the excellent form he has shown this season, including  a great goal last night at the Etihad Stadium, he could even find himself in the England squad with Raheem – and sooner rather than later.

The 18 year-old Newcastle youngster is that good.

rolando aarons scores

Rolando Aarons scoring against Manchester City

After Rolando scored his second goal for Newcastle last night, in his first experience back from injury, he has been interviewed in the national press and he talked about the England International:

“Raheem has played really well for the last two or three seasons and I’m nowhere near that level yet,” “I’m not Raheem Sterling – and Raheem Sterling is not me.”

“I don’t want people to compare us, although he’s obviously a player that I admire.” “I’m nothing like him and I’ve got a long way to go before I can even consider myself to be anywhere like that.”

“He’s played for England at the World Cup, and I’ve only played three or four games for Newcastle United.” “I don’t think there’s any reason to get carried away – I’m just focusing on playing football.”

“Hopefully I’ll get the chance to play in the same game as him at the weekend,”  “If that happens I might ask for his shirt. Why not? He’s a good player.”

“Whatever happens, though, I definitely won’t be swapping at half-time.”   “It helps to have so many of us young players playing in these games together. Young players help to bring enthusiasm and drive, and that showed.”

Aarons and Sterling were both born in Kingston, Jamaica about a year apart – with Rolando being just over a year younger than the England International.

And although the Newcastle 18 year-old doesn’t want to be compared with Raheem – their styles are  similar – both are quick and skillful – and both run at speed at opposition defenses.

Aarons began his career at Bristol City before joining Newcastle’s Youth Academy just over two years ago, and he’s made great progress, signing his first professional contract in February.

Even though he’s been out a number of weeks with injury, Rolando looked good in that first half last night, and he took his goal in expert style after only six minutes.

We hope Aarons starts on Saturday, if he is fit enough – and he could give Liverpool a lot of problems.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• optimistic prime

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Ex pat

Raylor played a cpl behind closed doors and it is probably a bit early, it’s more he’s done well for us when playing against them in the past.

I’m looking foward in a positive way to see Pardews team selection on Saturday and I really hope he picks the team on performances of last cpl games and doesn’t go for his usual suspects.

Sammy and Abeid have made a good case to start and Dummet as CB is a real possibility. All in all it’s good for NUFC that all of a sudden we have competition through the squad. IMO it would be wrong not to give those who’ve performed so well the reward of a start on sat as it would be a kick in the teeth of sorts.

• Belfast

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Nope.

England call up = Gone in January or the summer.

• optimistic prime

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Ex pat

Yeah it looks a great life for kids, I love seeing pics everyday of them out doing different things. Way better than sitting in the house playing on a computer.

• optimistic prime

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:03 AM

Belfast

You not think the early call up is jst to stop him going and playing for Jamaica?

• Belfast

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:04 AM

I feel like a gooseberry stuck in between you two lovebirds.

Night.

• optimistic prime

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Bed for me too, night all

• WestOzMag

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I see the 2 tactless muppets have not commented yet.

• Belfast

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:09 AM

He wants to play for Engerlaaand apparently.

He’ll certainly be of to pastures new if he gets in the next few England squads.

Next big thing as per usual

• Sliema

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:10 AM

Krul
    Janmaat,Saylor,Colo,Dummet
    Colback, Moussa, Abeid
    Gabby,Aarons/Sammy
    Perez

Any good?

• WestOzMag

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:12 AM

no room for cabella Sliema??

• Hector Riva

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:13 AM

My opinion is that Pardew won’t start Aarons, I think he will go
    Krul
    Janmatt
    Dummett
    Colo
    Saylor
    Tiote
    Colback
    Obertan
    Sissoko
    Gouffran
    Riviere, if Cisse is not fit.

Certainty.

• WestOzMag

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:21 AM

would it be too risky to pair dummett with colo and put haidara in at LB?

• expatmag

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:23 AM

Yes. They have done well but to look at it from another side, Krul Taylor Cabella Gouffran Cisse Tiote and Perez played no midweek football whilst Sissoko Riviere and Sammy played a half or less so these guys should be fresh and raring to go especially as they know there is competition for their shirts now.

• Novocastrian66

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:26 AM

I would definitely play Haidara at fullback.More pace than Dummet And Liverpool like to attack down the flanks.

• lesh

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:21 AM

We’ll be ok on Saturday – Scousers don’t travel well, unless they’re in a police van!

• Reyantoon

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:21 AM

I still overwhelmed by our result & performances.We had great enjoyable weeks.I am sure nobody expected us to win the city game,including me,esp after seeing our starting eleven and city’s eleven.But there is always something to learn.If u have a good game setup,u can achieve a good result,no matter who the opponents are. I’m sure our impressive form will continue from now on.And I am sure the mgr have taken a good deep breath now.Every single players,including GK Elliot were excellent on the city game.The most exciting thing that makes the win so flattering is that we won it by our young’s

On Liverpool game,I think we get them at the right time.I expect a lot of changes on the starting eleven.
    I like to see those players that won at spurs to start if we still have injury worries .And give the come backs like Aarons,R.taylor and Reviere a run sometime in the 2nd HF.I also like to see sissoko given free roll,as he proved he can attack
    defend, burst forward,everything, like Hulk.Good to see him back in form and we are back in form,no question about that…
    I expect us to win tomorrow..!!
    Hwtl

• mecannylad

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that my beloved NUFC would give me such a “high” on Wednesday night so soon after dragging me through months of black ‘n white purgatory.
    The beautiful game, indeed.
    Unpredictable United, naturally.
    Hope for the future, certainly.
    The win was important…. however the manner in which it was achieved was far more significant.
    We should all learn from it. ….. the players, the manager, the owner….. and most importantly, we the supporters.

• Go toon gooooo

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:52 AM

We need to calm down.Season is so long.There is so much to prove STILL.FA cup is something different than Premier League.Liverpool is team in the big four if someone forget.So underestimation is not necessary.Steven Taylor,Coloccini and Obertan in the starting 11 and we’ll not lose.

• Santon03

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:59 AM

I still don’t understand why people keep blaming MA for losing players.
    Carroll, MA didn’t want to sell but then liverfool offered ridiculous 35million, which is good business.
    Cabaye didn’t want to stay, but MA didn’t want to sell to Arseanal.
    Ba, has release clause and want to go to bigger club at least that is what his agents want.
    Debuchy after his pal left, he nolonger want to stay.

It’s not like MA put these guys on transfer list on purpose, they want to go and in Carroll’s case the money was just ridiculous.

I can see that liverfool will try to steal Aarons from us again and MA will put price tag so high that deter other clubs but some clubs will go for it.

• Santon03

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:17 AM

We have done well in transfer window, we have a good team. They showed us that they are good team, they can beat anyone. All they need to do is concentrate 100% and give everything they got until nomore left for 90minutes in one week sometimes two 90 minutes a week. After all they make more in a month than any ordinary people make in a year.

• jimmysmith

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:20 AM

I think the criticism is that if we were more ambitious, then players of the calibre of Ba, Remy, Cabaye and Debuchey would have been more inclined to stay and if they had we might justifiably had been a regular top six side.

• Canny in Canberra

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:45 AM

If these afore mentioned players had any heart then they’d want to stay and get us to top six.
    Lets work with what we got. Lads are putting the work in showing great guts and pride for the club. We can do without these divas that think we’re a stepping stone.

• Canny in Canberra

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:53 AM

Expat (previous thread)

Spot on Liverpool are a different prospect but if we come out as we’ve done past to games and take to them. It can be done. hopefully we can score first and get them chasing the game.

Hope Raylor will last and hasn’t set himself back with the effort and done too much too soon. Always a worry when back form a long injury like he had.

Spot on about Australia too. I love it here

• jimmysmith

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:55 AM

As far as I remember, those 4 made major contributions and had ambitions and abilities beyond a mid table Premiership club, which is what we mostly are under Ashley, and at times of course not even that, but yes, this current squad does appear to have some great prospects, although top six remains a distant and possibly fanciful goal.

• cyprus

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:09 AM

ok, now that the dust has settled, a more measured post.
    We haven’t suddenly become world beaters. We could’ve easily drawn or lost the last two games, in which we were outplayed for big chunks of time. In truth, they are better teams. City, ok, that’s expected, but we should be on par with spurs. If we played 10 games vs them, the safe bet is we’d lose more.
    Still, the good news is that this is the best PL since it started. There are 3 recently relegated or lower league teams in the top 6. AP, I grudgingly admit, is right. Games are indeed won on a couple of details. No one, including Chelsea, is unbeatable. They won’t run away with it, be assured. Without Hazard, they are playable.

• cyprus

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:14 AM

I’d rather play Chelsea than City or Arsenal. Though the latter have bought a not so top CF.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:04 AM

WestOzMag
    October 31, 2014
    I see the 2 tactless muppets have not commented yet.

Now i wonder which two he’s on about.

Stop pinching my word get your own.

Muppet.

• Reyantoon

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:17 AM

I haven’t been rated Armstrong for long time.But when I saw him how he played at city,he looked promising.His pace,spirit,work rate very impressive.
    Sammy should stay and get a new deal as well.In his last two or three games,he looked very good.
    we started to produce some real talent recently.
    But why do we produce short-heighted strikers lol?

• Mag52

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Santon @ 19

I can’t agree with you about MA. Once you put a price on a player, no matter how ridiculous a price it may seem, there are clubs out there nowadays who can come up with the dosh, and the player will be on his way.
    The only way you can avoid this is, unless it’s clear that the player is unhappy and not performing for you, to state categorically that so and so is not for sale. End of story.
    I’m pretty sure Cabaye could have been persuaded to stay on, at least till the end of the season. As you say, we had already seen off Arsenal. As for Ba, I’m not sure that an improved offer on his wages wouldn’t have kept him on board.

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Canny in Canberra – you need to get out more. Nobody lives in Canberra unless they have to….