He Was Completley Knackered But He Played Very Well

Rolando Aarons only returned to training this week – after being out a few weeks with a hamstring injury he picked up while on England U20 duty last month, so we were a little surprised he started the game at Manchester City.

rolando aarons scores

Aarons slotting home the first goal – a great opportunist goal

And it was great to see Rolando, Adam Armstrong, Sammy Ameobi and Paul Dummett all starting in the 2-0 win – since all have come through the Newcastle Youth Academy and three are local lads – so we seem to be getting some payback this season from the youngsters.

This is what Alan Pardew said about that:

“These younger ones don’t have fear. This group is stronger than I’ve had in all my time here. They have all come through our academy and are looking like Newcastle players of the future.”

“Out of that group only Sammy has disappointed in the past, but this year he has a new-found belief in himself.” “The other three have made their progress very rapidly.”

“Of all that four, they all have great talent and deserve to be in and around our team.” “Rolando has a massive asset which is pace. I saw that Phil Jagielka is apparently the quickest in the Premier League.”

“But I would bet on Rolando and Gabriel Obertan against him any day of the week.” “He also has a nice temperament. I think he had some troubles at Bristol City, but I really like him as a person.”

“He has got his feet on the ground, he has got tremendous potential and this could be a breakthrough season for him.”

“I did think long and hard about our team because I was concerned about one or two players, particularly Rolando and Ryan,” “They hadn’t really done enough training to warrant playing even half a game, which I had pencilled in for them.¨

¨But that worked out well for us. They both trained so well the day before that I went with my instincts rather than logic.¨

“We have players in form at the moment and right now it’s difficult to pick the bench, let alone the team. It’s important the squad has some depth to it because that’s always been a problem since I’ve been here.”

We’ve mentioned before that at half time when Rolando was walking off,  he really looked all in and was breathing very heavily, so we weren’t too surprised when Sammy came on at the start of the second half.

But alas, but Sammy could not repeat his accomplishment of Sunday and score within seven seconds – 6.57 seconds approximately. 😀

Rolando admitted he was simply knackered at half time:

“I was just knackered.” “I was tired and I think the gaffer noticed, and I kind of told him, so he took me off.”

“I was knackered today and I was a bit slow and off the pace,  but obviously happy to get the goal and contribute.”

The youngsters have really started to come through for us in the last few games, and now we need players like Remy Cabella and Manu Riviere to show through,  and if we can keep up the form the lads have shown since the Southampton debacle – we may not even be in a relegation struggle.

Given what’s happened at the beginning of the season, we’d be happy enough if that was the case.

Howay The Lads!!

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• G

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Keep him for the 2nd half against the Bindpippers I reckon?

• Wayayman

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:56 PM

If (as expected) Cisse isn’t fit tomorrow, then I’d love to see Riviere playing alongside Arma or just ahead of Perez. Riviere will only show his true worth when he has someone alsongside him, and either Adam or Ayoze’s movement could rip the Liverpool CB’s a new one.

Wow. That was almost optimism!

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:58 PM

No chance of Aarons starting tomorrow but 60th min sub he should be fresh enough to strike fear into the Liverpool defence.

• Go toon gooooo

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM

This player has perfect moments but sometimes is so unstable.Very variable player.Definitely needs to prove MORE.Good thing is that he is left winger and plays on his position(although he scored goal on the right)and that is important for the club.

• mag92

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Liverpool won’t fancy playing up here tomorrow.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:14 PM

He looks to have improved upon his strength a lot more as well. His turn and run past Mangala/Sagna on weds was excellent showed great strength to hold him off and get in front and drew the foul.

That’s what we need to see from him and with more game time his decision making will improve like when he should have played it in field to Colback but got tackled trying to take on Sagna. Little things like that to work on and his movement when in support and we could have our own Sterling.

• croftus5678

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM

if no cisse who is imo our only true no9 then i think perez is the most natural to lead that possition as he’s always pushing the back line.

dont get me wrong arma is solid and holds up play a lot like shearer and could grow into a no9 and did great against city but he tends to play a little deeper than perez/cisse for my liking of a lead striker.

and chucky i have no idea as not seen him play for us yet but he was a true no9 at his old club.

• jimBOB

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I think all the young lads gave a good account of themselves on Wednesday, Abeid was stand out for me, I felt he let very little go through the centre, the closing down and distribution from him and Colback was very positive, he also didnt shy away from people like Yaya, fernandinio and Silva. Arma showing how a 5’10 17 year old mixes it up with to 6ft plus centre halfs, not bad playing up top by himself. nice to see, lets hope Pards dosnt just use them for cup games.

• Geremi's Prosthetic Leg Fund

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Obertan is also showing to be far more effective now he is driving at people with the ball and opening up space. Before when he used to give it as soon as he got it was half the reason he was playing so poorly. Too scared to do anything with it.

• mag92

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Mangala looked like a 32 million quid, Mike Williamson against Arrons!

• mag92

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Its no coincidence that since Williamson and Anita have both disappeared we’ve won!

• dazzler

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:52 PM

The youngsters do look ready a lot of them. And I think as time goes on pards is starting to gain faith in them. It’s gotta be part of it that he’s scared they’ll do shite and he’ll get the blame for playing them.

His only chance of winning back a lot of fans is to have a go in matches, and our kids are proving most likely to do that.

• dazzler

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Bit harsh on Sammy as well like. He likes to criticise the kid a lot.

• toonicle

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Team for liverpool
    Janmaat—Saylor–Colo—Haidara
    Sissoko—Colback
    Cabella
    Obertan—Rivi—Aarons/Sammy

Sissoko and Colback are both rocks in midfield and can cover for fullbacks to make runs forward, Haidara looked excellent linking up with Sammy and Aarons on the left, Cabella would flourish playing the No. 10 role I think.

• dazzler

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Toonicle

Can’t see cabella starting to be honest. I think he’ll be on the bench

• lesh

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Has Ferrerya been Pardewed already?

• Mister Tuff

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Getting back to Wednesday – great win -to me the standout players were Sissoko, Dummett and Haidara. The power of Sissoko is absolutely tremendous Dummett and Haidara -were quick off the mark and were putting in some crunching tackles -if they start tomorrow they might need to be a touch more careful . R Taylor deserves a memtion too.
    I hope King Percy does not revert to a familiar style of PL ultra cautious play -giving Liverpool time on the ball. Need to get into them from the start. Liverpool will be wary of fast pace and hopefully this will have the effect of them playing a bit deeper thus easing the pressure on the defence. Really interesting who King Percy is going to play/leave out. (I would rest Gouffran).

• Ancientcoptic

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:28 PM

On Aarons “But when he scored an excellent goal after just six minutes, we think he must have been very impressive in training – which is why Alan took a bit of a chance and included him in the starting eleven.”

Nope. Aarons’ played because Pardew was protecting Gouffran.

Pardew deserves no credit for selecting Aarons, as Pardew thought he was putting out his weaker players.

If Pardew wanted to win that game, the side he put out wouldn’t have played, simple as that. No credit, where no credit is due.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:29 PM

EXCLUSIVE SCOOP.
    Chucky photgraphed in the dressing room running the rule over his teammates. So he is involved then!

• K T Cat

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I’m so glad to see Aarons back. I think he’s crucial to our success this year. No one has anything like his speed and flair. I’d love to see a few games with both him and Gabby on the pitch. The threat of their speed would really keep the other team from pushing too many players forward to attack.

4-3-3 maybe with Gabby, Cisse and Aarons up front?

• Thump

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:45 PM

I’m glad we have pace in the team, that means we can win 100 metre long ball races.

• Graeme

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Thump – hopefully, with pace on the pitch and wingers, hoof-ball will be relegated to the history books!! Playing the ball forward i far more efficient in any case!!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:19 PM

We have seen how effective we are with two out and out wingers, but you can guarantee Gouffran will be in the starting 11 against Liverpool and we will play two DM’s .

Really hope Pardew proves me wrong but I doubt it .

Team should be :

—————————Krul——————————–

–Janmaat——–Collo——–Dummet——–Haidara–

–Obertan——-Sissoko———Tiote———-Aarons–

—————————-Cabella—————————

—————————–Cisse—————————–

What it will be:

—————————Krul—————————–

–Janmaat——–Willo——–Collo——–Dummet–

————Colback——————–Tiote————-

—Obertan————-Sissoko————–Gouffran–

—————————Cisse—————————–

• Santon03

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I would love to see false #9 tactic. Maybe Sissoko replacing Armstrong and Cabella replacing Obertan or Aarons as sub or the other way around.

• Santon03

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM

The rest should be the same team playing against City especially midfield trio Abeid, Raylor, Collback.

• cyprus

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Why does he single out Ameobi? Anyway, of that group I think it’s him with the biggest potential. Let’s see.

• Toon-Prodigy

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:34 PM

I’d be happy to start Gouffran. He has had a rest and should try harder now there is competition for places.

It bodes well for NUFC at the minute. Players have to perform to remain in the team. Not like it has been for a long time.

I really think we will turn these over at the minute.

2-1 to the Toon. Howay the lads.

• toonicle

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Prodigy- What does Gouffran offer though really? Based on his performances this year so far

• toonking

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:58 PM

BPC

i think we asking too much from arrons by giving him a start in this saturday’s game.

by the end of november i too will want him to be part of the starting 11, it’s just that he came back from a hamstring injury and they seem to be vunerible to a recurrence if rushed too quickly. That doesn’t mean i therefore want gouffran to start as my choice is sammy.

I think myself that arrons will become a starter sometime this season and opinion ancient had on why pardew started arrons tells me just that. Actient said in his post the reason arrons started mid week was to protect gouffran, that doesn’t really make much sense because their is another player who is more fitter right now and certainly in just as good form, sammy. Sammy is also a player who plays on the left side of midfield and normally it’s him who replaces gouffran, so if he was just protecting gouffran then why didn’t he put sammy in the starting 11 against city?

it gives me the sense he is either protecting sammy for the weekend or he is going to have a starting 11 that includes arrons.

• Toon-Prodigy

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Toonicle,

Well so far this season, workrate.

His finishing is off but this new breed of confidence in the team will do him wonders aswell. It’s about getting the balance right and getting sammy gouffran and aarons scoring goals and being consistent.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Gouffran starts tomorrow and scores. Amazing what a winning mentality does for confidence and performances.

Im sure Pardew will want him to join in the party and watch him step up a level. He needs that opportunity though to do it.

It’s good to see players on form. I fancy another goal from Sissoko tomorrow aswell.