Obertan Could Have Similar Injury To Siem De Jong

As soon as Gabby Obertan went down to the ground yesterday, it looked like he wouldn’t be able to continue, and the 25 year-old Frenchman seemed to know immediately it was a bad injury.

gabby obertan injured

A sorry sight – as Gabby Obertan is stretchered off the field

It’s so disheartening and soul-destroying for the Frenchman,  because he’s been in probably the best form of his career this season, and yesterday he had already made two fantastic runs down that right wing, in the game against Liverpool.

Alan Pardew has talked about the injury being a serious one, and unfortunately,  an initial assessment by the medics is that it may be a torn thigh muscle.

That’s the injury Siem de Jong has,  and he will be out four months before he returns to training in January.

This is what the Newcastle manager said after the game about Gabby:

“The only sour note of the day was Obertan’s injury. He has been a big part of the success in these last few weeks, and it is a bad one.

“We are all sad for Gabby, and we just hope it is not too bad. But he has done something to his thigh muscle.”

Lets hope it’s not as bad as Siem’s injury, and that Gabby can get back to playing again relatively soon.

That’s what we are hoping for.

Gabby has played 9 times for the first team this season with one fantastic goal to win the game against Leicester City, and in total he has appeared 62 times for Newcastle with three goals.

Here’s Gabby’s Twitter account if you would like to send him a message of support – and he currently has 990 followers and wants to hit the 1,000 mark.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Graeme

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Typical – he picks himself up, obviously put some hard yards in during the summer break and comes back a transformed player. He gets into the team because he deserves to be there and has major impact – just as he is being accepted, bang, he’s out for a good few weeks I would think.

Hope he makes a full recovery and gets back soon.

• magscar

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Don’t wish any Ncle player harm and given Raylor’s trilas of last 2 season’s I hope Obertan can recover quickly. Long term injuries are so much about mental strength.

Never been sure whether or not Ben Arfa’s bad injury in his early games here and subsequent long lay off and time in Clairefontaine affected his future here and his rapport with colleagues. Raylor was in and around ground throught his re-habilitation and often watched matches – seemed to have an excellent relationship with all, old and new.

• LocalZero

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Real shame for him and bad for us. Good for the balance of the team to have options on the wing and he was defnitily getting in behind Liverpool before he went off. Real shame. Hope he doesn’t lose his pace like Owen did…

• mindshaft

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:37 PM

That is not Gabby’s twitter account
    Wish him a speedy recovery though, he’s been fantastic last few games

• LGFUAD21

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Feel so bad for the guy.

Seems a great character. Just hope he can pick himself up and get back in the team. I think he’s been excellent and was treated harshly when he had that run at the beginning of the 5th season.

Like how direct he is.

Hope Sammy can do him proud in his absence. His footwork is great he just needs to learn his trade which will come with game time.

• Rotonda heights

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM

kilbane // Nov 2, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Padew is the man for the job because a Manager is as good as his last game.
    – – – – – – – – – –
    So what about the record run of losses? Don’t get me wrong I’m delighted with the 4 wins and the introduction of youth but obviously that statement is not always the case.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM

magpie6699 you posted earlier (amongst other things) “……………………………………………… I’ve supported the Toon long before we were called “the Toon””.

Can you explain further – I ask as I was brought up on Tyneside and always referred to the club as the Toon and that is well past half a century duration.

• blew

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Hope Aarons gets up to fitness quickly, all will
    benefit from him having a sustained run.
    Sammy hasn’t convinced me in the least, I
    believe he is at best a last 10/15 minutes player.

• mag92

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:25 PM

These two Manc teams are shocking and they’ve spent millions unlike the 25 million Newcastle United spent!

• Sliema

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM

blew

We have 8 days now to get people rested and match fit. Better than having 3 days pre-Liverpool.

Aarons will have the sprightly fitness of an 18yo in his favour.

• Sliema

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Van Persie is garbage these days.

• Harley

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Mag92

I think you’re maybe getting your figures a bit muddled up.

The general consensus is we spent about £35m and received about £32m. Making a net spend of about £3m.

Still chicken feed compared to a lot of other clubs.

If Ashley had done what he said he would (the club spending it’s own money) we could be sitting where Southampton or west ham are.

• Go toon gooooo

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Without Obertan we will fight for survival again.At this moment there is no replacement for Obertan in this club.And because of this reason every club must have two players on one position.And we have 4 defensive midfielders and just ONE right winger (Obertan) and ONE left winger Rolando Aarons who is at tender 18 years old.My only wish this year is:I don’t want to see Sissoko on Obertan’s position AGAIN.Don’t want we go down again.

• Go toon gooooo

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Kevin Mbaby.Anything?

• Ron Knee

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Mister Tuff
    For me, it used to be ‘The Lads’.

• Harley

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Go toon go

We have cabella and sammy who can fill Obertans role. Obertan was playing really well and it’s disappointing he’s out but we have players to come in.

Even rivière is used to playing on the outside of a front 3.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 2, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Ron Knee – I recall using “The Toon” in the context of if someone asked whether you supported Newcastle or Sunderland I would answer “The Toon”.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Citeh look they’ve been told there’s no way they can be outclassed at home by another United this week

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Ooofff great run by Rooney, should of finished that like

• Ron Knee

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Mister Tuff
    The more I think about it, I don’t think I’ve ever used ‘The Toon’. Strange!

• magscar

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:11 PM

MisterTuff at 7

Only been going since 69 (supported longer) and in those days there were no chants for “ToonToon” in the Leazes End. Plenty of Howay The Lads etc and when the police came into crowd chants I personally hated about Harry Roberts (recently released from prison I believe). I honestly can’t recall chant until around early 1990’s (91?) in FA cup game against Forest 2-2. I remember because having moved away from Tyneside with a young family I didn’t get back home often. At that match with snow piled around pitchside I distinctly remember my young son asking what were the crowd shouting. I had to stop and listen as I wasn’t familiar with it and it was”TOON TOON”
    I did get to occasional games -used to make visits around home games if I could and that is first I had heard it. Having said that when I lived there we did go to the toon (town) drinking and shopping.

That is my best guess.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:12 PM

How does Fellaini convince Van Gaal he’s a proffesional footballer?

• Mister Tuff

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM

magscar – I am now doubting my own memory. I’m not talking about chants or “the Toon army”phrase -just a reference to NUFC. I think it is acknowledged that the “Toon Army” phrase is a relatively recent invention.
    I started going to SJP in the early 60’s as as a sprog, people would shout howay the lads at the game but it is the reference to the club I’m thinking about.
    As you also say folks going out could say they were “gannin doon the toon”.

• mag92

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM

45000, to watch the prawn sandwich derby.

• mag92

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Harley no muddle, 39,900,000 spent on 8 players, 12,900,000 received from player sales in the summer, 25 million net spend.

• NUFCJackW

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM

If yoy change the results for the games which we would exect to lose, draw and win. We arent doing that bad.

Most would expect us to lose to City, Liverpool and Spurs. Thats 3 losses, which we have in the league at the moment.

The four draws we have could have realisticaly happened when we played stoke, southampton, swansea and villa.

And the three wins we would expect against hull, crystal palace and leicester.

Obviously these werent the results we got, but when you look at it like that it doesnt seem that bad.

The wins we did get though are impressive where as some of the losses and draws have been awful.

• magpie6699

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Mister Tuff. I supported Newcastle from the late 50s as a boy (my dad supported them from the 30s) and I cannot remember people talking about “the toon”, and right through the 60s and Fairs Cup win etc I don’t remember the phrase used like that. Obviously people used to talk about “gannin’ doon the toon” to refer to going into the city centre. My impression was that it was much later than that that the expression began to come in. If anyone can prove different e.g a reference from a newspaper article, banner or whatever I’d be interested to hear it.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Mag
    You seem to of left out the £19 million we got for Cabaye

• ilovetoon8788

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:35 PM

we are on level points with manchester united.

good work alan pardew! or is it van gaal is crap?

• magscar

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Mr Tuff

I see what your driving at. As I recall amongst my mates we used to say are you? when are you? and so on going to the “match”.

A long time ago but the crowds used to be alive in those days of standing and pitching forward with a quick foxtrot backwards up the terracing to where you had started from as the ball came into your area of pitch. Wouldn’t want to go back now as I like a seat these days but it was always a charged atmosphere especially when scuffles broke out ( Yeah amongst home supporters!!) and police barged through in a direct line from pitch to where trouble was – tough if you were in way. Youngsters don’t know what they are missing 🙂

• mag92

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Cabaye was sold in the 2013/14 season!

• Malta Mag

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:38 PM

I’m pleased for Alan Pardew and hope it continues. I hope however he realised that he shouldn’t still be in the job and in reality should have gone but he’s got out of jail and should learn from his mistakes. The squad is there for all to see although an experienced centre half should be bought in January. Talk of another midfield player or a striker should not be seen as a must. With Perez proving himself and Armstrong needing a chance to shine, why spend on a striker. I still say Goofy is another option up front and cannot understand Pardew’s insistence on playing him wide? There will be dark days again but apart from City and Chelsea for top two finish, the league is wide open and there is no reason not to be optimistic.

• toonarmydownsouth

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Mag
    So? We do are transfers based on the calendar year, he was sold in jam 2014
    His fee wasn’t re invested until this summer

• nut meg

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:45 PM

All of my mates & myself of course used to say we’re going to watch the toon & that was early 60s.

• mag92

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Who knows?

• jimmysmith

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I first heard “the toon” in place of “N’castle” or “the lads” or “Utd” sometime after Sky invented football in the Keegan era. When I first started using it, my father, who first started going to St James’ before the Second World War and was at all the cup finals in the fifties and the fairs cup final, before emigrating us to Oz in 1970, didn’t know what it meant, and nor did I the first few times I heard it. Actually, it still strikes me as odd, but all football fans know us the toon now.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Magpie 6699 Magscar
    Yeah I have been gannin a lang time to the TOON, 1963 onwards – and like you I cannot remember using calling Newcastle United the toon until the mid 90’s and becoming popular in the Keegan years. But what I can remember were lots more varied chants and lots of singing and songs
    The Mighty Quinn for Wyn Davies was the first real song I can remember and the Brown Ale sing-along

• Novocastrian66

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I’ve always associated “The Toon” with Newcastle United because my elder brother always called us the Toon. Never particularly liked it myself. The Toon Army chant started in the late eighties early nineties as far as I can remember. Don’t remember it before that. It was closely followed with Toon Toon, Black and White Army.
    Made me laugh as the media originally thought it was a reference to cartoons, when the chants first started, as some sort of black humour reference about how the club was ran. They later realised it was the affectionate name given to the city centre and the club.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM

i think we don’t need to sign many players in January, with the squad we have got now, plus our fringe players doing well, plus and added bonus with an extra player we have got in Arron’s.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 2, 2014 at 4:18 PM

With some of the so called top teams not doing so well, there’s no reason why we can’t end the season in the top six.

1 2 3 6