Former Newcastle Executive On Rangers Board

Rangers have confirmed that former Newcastle Managing Director Derek Llambias has been given a seat on the Board.

derek llambias arrives at glasgow airport last night

Derek LLambias arriving at Glasgow Airport last week

Last week Derek was named as a consultant to the club, and the recent appointment to the Board are both conditions of the £2M interest free loan that Mike Ashley has given the Scottish club,  to help keep them financially above water through the end of this year.

Rangers have just issued a statement to the Stock Exchange that LLambias has now taken on official duties at the club.

David Somers was appointed Executive Chairman of the club on a temporary basis last week,  and will now oversee the recruitment of a new Chief Executive and Finance Director, following the departures last week of Graham Wallace and Philip Nash.

It remains to be seen if LLambias will end up as the top executive at the club – but it’s almost certainly going to be one of Ashley’s  people – so he will essentially have control of Rangers.

What happens after in the future and how all this activity at Rangers affects his ownership of Newcastle United is anybody’s guess at this point.

Newcastle fans are hoping he will sell Newcastle, and Rangers fans are hoping he will not buy Rangers.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Graeme

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Hopefully he will be very happy at Rangers.

• lesh

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Llambias to oversee the appointment of a new Chief Executive and Finance Director for Rangers eh?

That’s a no brainer with Wise and Kinnear waiting in the wings.

• cyprus

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:22 AM

On recent comments. Wait, WartonGeordie, wait before you ask for full apologies regarding AP, man. He has not exonerated himself quite yet (as far as I’m concerned I still need 27 points before I can think of anything else!). It’s hard to forget the regular spankings of late, wouldn’t you agree?

And, we haven’t suddenly become a super team. I do agree with you (and AP) that most games are decided on small margins, however. It seems to be the best PL ever. So, if this run continues, we can do well, granted.

• cyprus

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM

A run (good or bad) can rocket you up, or pull you right back in the mess. As we witnessed.

• Magpie Myles

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Cyprus

I agree that no one should apologise because this blog is based on opinions and debates.

I do think that it’s great to see a team fighting for the manager, regardless of what you think of him, he’s got the backing of the squad and thats what counts. It’s also great to see the youngsters adding squad depth and giving us a reason to believe our youth system and coaching can work.

I said before, it’s all about what we do at West Brom, both Newcastle and Liverpool had mid week matches and both squads looked tired to me. So a fresh Newcastle team at West Brom is where i think we can judge how the team is really playing. They also had a good result last weekend, so it should be a cracking game.

• dazzler

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Wartongeordie

Has Pardew apologised to the fans for the run leading up to the recent winning streak?

He admitted it wasn’t good enough but don’t recall an apology.

Things are looking up, but I would wait before smugly demanding an apology from fans who were rightly angered by the barren run we’d been on.

• Sliema

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Warton just posted this on last thread:

“Player ratings are a good idea,
    Personally I would give Pardew 9/10 for all the crap that he has had from some of you, The results were poor but football matches are decided by small margins and if we had beaten Villa (which we deserved to) and not conceded in a stupid amount of injury time to Palace we would be right up there, I think its about time to admit you were wrong about Pardew and everyone get behind the team you are supposed to love.”

Sometimes the IQ of the average Geordie really is embarrassing.

• dazzler

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Myles,

Fairly put. Regardless of personal feeling towards the man the,( and as I have previously stated my issue is with his clear personality disorder rather than his managerial skills.) the players are fighting for him, and it appears that Pardew is trying to change things for the better. Conceding a defensive possession game in favour of a counter attacking set up that suits our players. Not to mention he has gained some humility in his interviews, and dropped (seemingly) his jobs for the boys mentality.

If that continues and he continues to make those positive changes then I see people relenting eventually. But people have long memories, our form from January was disastrous and I imagine it will take time for those wounds to heal.

For me I would take a scrappy result against WBA, but for me QPR at home is the benchmark I have set to see how far we have truly come as I feel we should be bossing that game.

• dazzler

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Sliema,

For me the annoying thing about this blog is the level of extremism on both sides of the Pardew in/out debate.

At the moment, we have a lot of smugness from the pro-Pardew lot who state how they were right all along etc, and likewise when it is bad we have the same from the others.

It’s dull. A lot of people can’t seem to accept that January to October form was appalling, and a lot of others can’t accept that the past 4 results MAY be a sign of improvement.

CAN’T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??????

No? OK then, I’ll move along.

• Ancientcoptic

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:53 AM

So Ashley got duped when buying Newcastle, which is why he had to switch the loan to himself and give his brand free advertising.

Awfully strange then, that Ashley is buying into ANOTHER club in debt, and enacting similar actions.

• cyprus

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:54 AM

I think the posts above are fair. Still, I think we’ll have a right games vs both WBA and QPR. Would I take 3 points right now? Yes, probably. Have you watched those teams (yes, including QPR). Not too shabby and they have been unlucky. Teams like Liverpool, Spurs, Man U are definitely misfiring, while smaller teams like Soton and Swansea are humiliating the likes of those. Great PL ahead, hope the shuffle brings us smiles.

I’ve been critical of AP, but I’d take my hat off to any success he and MA brings to my team. I’d even forget the embarrassing defeats and the most boring football for some semblance of glory 😉 Then, I want the entertainers back 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Dazzler,
    I find it odd that the previous 25 or so games wasn’t enough to show Pardew wasn’t good enough, but 4 results demonstrates he is. If he continues to show improvement then great, I will happily change my stance. But I was one who thought maybe the penny had dropped last season when we went on a decent run at around the same time. We then spectacularly imploded.

It will take consistent improved results, performances and selections over a far longer period then 2 weeks to actually show that he has learned lessons from the bad run. Hopefully he has, but there is a long way to go.

• dazzler

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Ancient,

I honestly believe he’ll sell up as soon as he can and start over again with Rangers. I know people talk about the PL TV money etc, but I truly believe he will be weighing up the risks, and want to be without the headache of two clubs.

With Rangers, he could be loved with some (relatively) cheap investment, get them champions league each season. So could end up being in with the fans again (in his mind).

He’s notorious enough now given his spell at NUFC, that even without advertising in the ground, his name would be mentioned every game (like it is for us) with reference to SD. He could stick his SD logos on the strips as well.

I see him going if he can get a buyer. And I expect his loan to be siphoned off until he is. Isn’t it 18m he’s taking back this year?

• dazzler

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:04 PM

lilongwe,

Spot on.

He’s making the correct noises. And I am happy to give him credit for that, but the season is still a long way off ending so he has to keep working his arse off to ensure things keep going strongly.

Our form is dependent on performance against the teams around us, even last year we struggled with that so if we do well in our next two games, it will be a good sign for me.

• Graeme

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Llambias has been formally appointed as a Non Executive Director of Rangers!!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Dazzler,
    The next 4 games are all big games. West Brom, West Ham, QPR and Burnley. If we are to keep up the upturn in form we should realistically be picking up 7 points minimum from these matches. Not to mention December is a terrible set of fixtures and could see us going into the derby under real pressure again if we don’t pick up points in the next 4.

• catchy in norway

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

me thinks we have a lot of Gullible fans , as not a lot has really changed ,

have we suddenly started to play football ? errr noo

the only thing that has changed is the results , the cup game was a total fluke , he sent out a team that on paper was meant to be beaten , but put in a performance of champions , he and a lot of people are acting like he had it planned.

for me in all the the games where we have won or picked up a point , you could have flipped a coin for the winner , the games were very poor games . with no team really trying to win the games , , in a few of the games , spurs should have been out of site with all the possession and chances ,

results are good , but there based on so much luck again , pretty much like the season we finished fifth , so history has told us in the last 4 years we will lose more than we win with this style , in all 4 seasons he has this run of results that he milks for all ther worth , the we get back to losing games .

results should be a result of how well you play the game, we seem to let an hour of football go by in every game containing the other team, then we have a go for a bit , then contain some more , now I’d be happy enough to do that against the so called bigger teams , but teams like villa LC stoke and plenty more that 1 will be in the bottom half, and 2, most other teams that come to our house , I want us to go at them for more than the 20 mins that seem to do, as it seems we waste more than 60 minutes of time that we don’t push anyone forward , who ever is up front is left alone to chase lost causes .

like I say , normal service will resume soon , and that is a fact ,

• mindshaft

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Not sure why anyone feels the need to apologise..

I don’t see Pards or Ashley apologising for selling players, going on a 6 game losing streak, p!ss poor form, getting relegated, getting hammered by sunderland at home and away, getting thrashed by Wigan, Southampton, Liverpool etc

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Catchy,
    I agree, the football hasn’t improved drastically. We are hitting more direct balls, but we are playing with a bit more purpose and intent when we do attack.

Normal service may well resume, but I think rather than being gullible people are hopeful and enjoying the results.

• Belfast

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Remember Llambias and Ashley fell out ?

It was obviously bullshit.

• geordie157

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM

It would be funny if hearts won the league and rangers bottled it in the playoffs.

Scottish football is in a right state, I think the likes of hearts are doing it the right way using the academy players and developing them.

• mindshaft

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Lil – Totally agree, don’t think anyone is stupid enough to think we’ve suddenly become top 4 material but a couple of weeks ago it looked like we were in for a season of bottom three, I’ve definitely enjoyed the last few results and at least now have a bit of hope for mid table mediocrity

• geordie157

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Results first, performances follow with improved confidence.

In just glad pardew is now playing the likes of abeid and aarons instead of Anita and gouffran, although injuries may have made the abeid decision for him.

Abeid and sissoko in the middle is a nice pairing with colback or tiote sitting deep, I’d like to try abeid and sissoko playing deep with cabella in the no.10 role behind Cisse/Perez

• Magpie Myles

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Dazzler

I agree wth you about the blog. Everyone on here supports Newcastle and want’s the team to do well. There is no need for the constant bashing of one side or the other. It’s more irritating than anything.

The counter attacking that we have been playing is exciting stuff, much better than the percentage football being played before.

Really looking forward to the weekends now, we just seem to be in a new gear and progressing.

• cyprus

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM

So nice to be hiding in there, hiding,mid-table mediocrity )

• cyprus

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Lil,
    read your reply earlier about home grown academy players. Did you mean like from Dunston? Because I wouldn’t mind if our next exciting star is from Korea! Globalisation… multiculturalism… the future, man.

• mecannylad

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM

If I were Ashley I would have pulled the rug from beneath Pardew’s feet long ago.
    Credit where credit is due nevertheless; MA held his nerve whilst all around were losing theirs. He sussed that Pardew still had the dressing room and Pardew himself has at long last reviewed his tactical approach & team selection … and become noticeably more humble in his PR style.
    It is in no doubt in my opinion that the NUFC fan base with the pressure we have been putting club management under recently should take as much credit out of our recent upturn in fortunes as the club management and players.
    Will it last? ….. again, we all have a role to play …. we all have a responsibility.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Cyprus,
    No, I don’t mind too much where we source players from, although there are rules and regulations regarding that. I’d be happy for us to produce a talent from anywhere, as long as they develop through our club. I’d love it if the best players were all local boys, but if they aren’t I still would happily have them here.

My post was more against the massive spending on ready made stars, a la City recently and Chelsea over the past decade. Be more than happy to see us nick 15 year olds from Barca and then develop them like Arsenal have.

• catchy in norway

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM

lil

I think gullible is the right word ,

it’s like you say above , does 4 wins in 2 weeks wipe away the run and results for the previous 10 month , for some it seems to have done just that

also you say that he has had these good runs before , but they always followed by a very bad run,

what’s that saying ,
    Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
    Prov. After being tricked once, one should be wary, so that the person cannot trick you again

in every season he has been here , he has disastrous runs , 2 of the runs being over 20 games without a win

being hopeful is one thing , but if you keep falling for the same thing , your a gullible fool I’m my eyes

• mindshaft

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I presume the recent humility showed by Pards is down to Bishop telling him to curb his excessive excuses when we lose and praising himself when we win – I’ll take it

• mindshaft

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Think most realistic toon fans are aware we are highly unlikely to challenge top four with our current spending policy but we should be aiming for top 6 – 8
    and trying to play decent football.

Only worry is Sissoko who I imagine we’ll get an offer for in Jan, he’ll pull a Cabaye and then he’ll be off in summer
    Tiote could be off in Jan so that would leave us very short

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Catchy,
    I don’t think most fans are being gullible and sucked in. There are fans that have always stood by Pardew, and that is what we are hearing more of now, as you would expect following an upturn.

Then you have a lot of fans who thought Pardews time was up, but are enjoying the improvement in fortunes and are of the mind Pardew can sustain it. I think this is the fans you are talking about, but they are probably in a very small minority.

Most people who have wanted Pardew out still do, and 4 results hasn’t changed that. Hence me saying he has to do this over a sustained period for me to alter my stance. I think this is where the majority of ‘Pardew out’ fans are at the moment. He hasn’t ‘fooled’ people as yet.

Being a fan of most football clubs has a lot to do with hope, and as we have improved then of course fans are going to hope it can continue. That doesn’t mean they believe it will, or that they have been tricked into thinking that all is rosy.

• lesh

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Good to see that Catchy’s back to normal!

Give it a rest man, you can bleat about Pardew as much as you like but you’ll achieve nowt.

He’s not the world’s best but like ut or not, Pardew’s with us until he walks or Ashley sacks him.

• lesh

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Lilongwe Geordie

You’re pi$$Ing against the wind with Catchy.

He’s obsessed with Pardew and sacking him to the point that he really should get out more – or seek specialist treatment!

• mindshaft

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

best bet is that pardew does well for a bit then fooks off of his own accord to be average elsewhere

• mindshaft

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Spuds will probably sack potty soon enough given Levys track record, never know if he is daft enough to hire pards though

• lesh

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Sliema

IQ and opinions aren’t directly related.

Just look at Catchy, he’s got an opinion!

• toonincheek

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Catchy –

You are being far too negative.

For sure the jury is still out, taking the last 4 wins against our overall record since January, but what you say is, effectively, when we win, it’s lucky and when we lose, it’s AP.

When you say:
    “normal service will resume soon , and that is a fact”
    why do I get the feeling you would rather be proved right than being proved wrong?

• mag92

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Sissoko is the best box to box midfield powerhouse, Newcastle United, have had for years and we’ll do very well to keep hold of him!

• Ibizatoon

Nov 3, 2014 at 1:15 PM

Well, the Newcastle roller coaster rolls on.

Nice to see some unity back on the blog 🙂

I’ve asked it before, but maybe now is a better time to try again. At what point do the anti-Pardew crew direct their attention to Ashley?

I understand it’s deemed as the bigger task, but at the end of the day, it is the root of the issue surely?

People are praising Sam at West Ham, but as I remember, it was the fans getting on the clubs case about the style of play that made the club, not Sam to my knowledge, bring in an attacking coach.

Anyway, I haven’t posted recently, so just want to say it’s been a welcome relief to have some wins behind us. As has been said often lately, it’s also great to see some of our younger players showing they have what it takes to make a difference and not just make up the numbers. Long may it last.