Newcastle’s New Star – It’s Unreal – I Am Now A Better Player

Mehdi Abeid was our Man of the Match on Saturday with over 40% of the vote, and he had a great game against Liverpool, and he played just as well in the game at Manchester City, and helped Newcastle to another famous win – our first win ever at the Etihad Stadium.

ehdi abeid steven gerrard

Mehdi Abeid challenges Steven Gerrard

It looked like Mehdi’s career was over a year last January, when no English club came in for him, and he was sent out on loan to St, Johnstone where he played 9 games.

But last season he was on loan at Panathinaikos and was a regular and played close to 40 games and scored 10 goals, and Alan Pardew gave him another chance and the youngster has taken it.

We expect the Algerian selectors to be taking notice of Mehdi’s form, and expect him to be called into the senior squad very soon.

On Saturday there were more than 52000 fans packed into St. James’ Park for the game and they witnessed a terrific game from  the lad who was making his Premier League debut.

This is what Mehdi has said in an interview he has given:

“It has been unreal,’ “To play against big sides like Manchester City and Liverpool in one week is fantastic. I am getting more and more experience and learning what it is like to play against big players.”

“But I have to keep my head down and work every day to prove that I can be a solution for the team and for the coach.” “You don’t know how pleased I am – but I am not finished.”

“I need to work every day and I want to judge myself against the big players.” ‘I know that some days will be good and some bad, but I have been passionate and worked hard for four years – which have been difficult.”

“But that is the way I work and play my football.”   “I felt I grew a lot in Greece,’ “I played 40 games and got a lot of experience. I grew up as a player and as a man – I want to keep going in that way.”

‘I feel I’m a better player. I wanted to play football and that’s what I got. Now it’s about the next level and taking my chance.” ‘The Premier League is the biggest in the world and to be part of it is great.”

“It’s nice to be back and involved. I had a great season at Panathinaikos. but now I need to build on that and show it here.’

Abeid has always had a great temperament and a good attitude, and when he first arrived over three years ago as a free agent from Lens, he made the American tour that summer, and he was  just 18.

But after the first season he tailed off, but has now come back strongly – after that season long loan spell in Greece, where he seems to have grown in his football and as a man – seems to have done the trick.

Alan Pardew had this to say about his new young defensive midfield star:.

“Mehdi has good strength, good discipline, is a good passer and has a good mentality.”  “He has earned the right to play.”

“Hopefully he could be one of the young players who can be a regular for us this season.”

Mehdi is right in that he needs to keep his head down and train hard, and not get carried away with his own success, which often leads to the demise of young players.

But after coming back so well after his career seemed completely over at Newcastle, something tells us this lad will keep his feet firmly on the ground.

Mehdi can become a big success for Newcastle United this season.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Brutooon

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Anita is useless, a midfield player who only pass backwards. Plus cannot defeat any player in 50/50

Abeid a definitely starter

• optimistic prime

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Good on the lad, good attitude makes all the difference. Deserved his place, deserves to start next match.

• Average_Contents

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Glad to hear spideys in remission. Excellent news.

OP

I read similar about Abeid a few years back too. Must of been when we first signed him. Played for all the french youth sides then switched to Algeria but is yet to make his full debut, currently plays for the under-23’s. If he continues like he has been he’ll definitely get a call up to the big boys squad I’d imagine. Big loss if he does.

I was hoping the fcuking thing would get cancelled, ya know with a deadly virus floating round Africa n all.

All boils down to money I guess.

• SpaceGhost

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Maybe Sammy could head out to Panathinaikos if he trails off again. Our old boy Dabizas would look out for our boys over there. If it worked wonders for Abeid. I’d hate to see Sammy leaves the club. He has the speed and the build to succeed. Imagine if he puts on more weight = Drogba + Solomon Kalou

• optimistic prime

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM

It’s a funny one, which country in Africa really wants to host it?
    Which country in the world would?
    Comin sense would say postpone it until the thing is contained at least.

• optimistic prime

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Ac

On Abeid there’s bound to be a friendly coming up, with his performances last season abroad his pre season and the last couple he’s bound to get all call for the squad at least.

• toonking

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:04 AM

why does this blog need to get into such an arguement over posts which can quite simply be ignored?

if people are driving you too far, telling you to give pardew more credit than you think he derves then just ignore that post and look for a different one, if you hate the likes of catchy because of his dis like for pardew and the fact he not even be happy to see a win knowing that it keeps pardew here again just ingore them.

what every newcastle fan should know by now, as long as pardew can manage to keep us in the premier league he will remain manager, whilst ashley is here pardew is here.

chris hughton gets the sack whilst we ourselves were sitting in 12th place therefore he would have sacked pardew that europa leaague season if ashley really wanted to make progress.

if you still desperate for him to get sacked then you might as well just act like catchy does and be happy with the losses otherwise just do as RH as done and give credit to them all for getting the win and either get a calm conversation going with fellow bloggers or do as i do when catchy and LR32 post, simply ignore them.

• Brummie

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:15 AM

My team for Sunday…..What you think??

___________________Krul___________________
    ____Jamat_____Collo_____S.Taylor_____Dummet__
    __Sissoko____Colback_______Tiote_____Arrons___
    ___________Ayoze__________Cisse_____________

Subs:
    Eliot
    Hadira
    R.Taylor
    Abied
    Cabella
    Ameobi
    Rieviere

• toonicle

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Don’t want to get ahead of myself but if he keeps going with this form, and with sissoko showing his best form in the middle, I have no problem seeing Tiote go in January for a big fee.10-15 million for a 28 year old in the one position we seem to be spoiled for choice? Plus, even though it shouldnt be this way with all the money we didn’t spend, we can use the cash for another good winger and a real quality CB

• Shadow_Shearer

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:40 AM

I wasn’t convinced by Abeid until I watched him in the last two games, now I’m turning into a fan of his. If I was colback I’d be glad to be playing along side two powerhouses like sissoko and abeid, and his boyhood club. I reckon Anita needs to plays along side the them to make up for his lack of strength

• lesh

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Pardew’s done one helluva job resurrecting Abeid’s career!

Or so he’ll be telling us tomorrow!

• cyprus

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:05 AM

Jonas, I’m so glad for you. You’re de man 🙂

• cyprus

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:13 AM

Abeid,
    It increasingly seems like you should be in our first 11 when all are fit! The thing is, I think we are ready to be playing many players every game (i.e. 14) and a lot more (at least 18) in the space of 2-3 games.
    There are players who may be prospects and haven’t featured much… Vuckic, Bigi, Streete etc.
    Players like Abeid, Sami, Ayouz, Riviere, Gouffi, Williamson, Santon etc. will all need to be battle ready: reduces fatigue, makes injuries less crucial, helps for tactical adjustments, a cure for out of form players.

Come on AP, do it. From your new line-ups and tactical adjustments I know you read me 😉

• cyprus

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:18 AM

Last but not least. Of course, competition for places keeps you on your toes, and you squeeze out a bit more energy on the field.

• Santon03

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:49 AM

So many great stories coming out of the club right now. Abeid, Obertan, Raylor, all of them worked hard and showed good maturity, not b!tching and moaning like HBA.
    Cabella also starting to show some changes, he fought really hard everytime he came on as sub.
    If all the players have this mentality, I believe the team could do very well this season.
    Hopefully pardew for his own good start doing the same thing like his players, not getting c0cky with success or just moaning if things don’t go his way.

• JamesToon

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:18 AM

My team for WBA:

Krul
    Janmaat-Saylor-Coloccini-Dummett
    Sissoko-Abeid-Colback
    Cabella-Ayoze-Aarons

subs:
    Elliot-Satka-Haidara-Raylor-Tiote-Ameobi-Ferreyra

Really need to give cabella another chance he played well when he came on against liverpool.

• Nufc-83

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:35 AM

I think based on recent performances James that team must start with the swap of cabella for sammy though as he is in better form and more used to the prem at this moment.

• Mag52

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Lesh @ 11

Clearly a good call to send him out on loan last season.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Mag52,
    He would have been sold if the Greeks weren’t skint along with Obertran if any one wanted him, you’re determined to make out Pardew something he’s not.

• goommy

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Talk about young players. I want to see young Ferreyra some 😐

• Slank

Nov 4, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Brummie @ 8

___________________Krul___________________
    ____Jamat_____Collo_____S.Taylor_____Dummet__
    __Sissoko____Colback_______Tiote_____Arrons___
    ___________Ayoze__________Cisse_____________

‘What you think??’

I think you don’t understand psychology and man management as you don’t reward your MOTM (Abeid) by dropping him. You also don’t put Sissoko on the wing when some of his best games have been in central midfield. Colo doesn’t play next to Janmaat. Saylor does. My team would be 4-2-3-1

Krul
    Janmaat – Saylor – Colo – Dummitt
    Abeid – Colback
    Ameobi – Sissoko – Aarons
    Riviere (if fit otherwise Perez)

Tiote and Cisse are coming back from injury and perhaps a full 90 minutes is not what the doctor ordered. Also I believe that players have to force their way back into contention for a place.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Slang,
    Unless a player is an exceptional talent then they should by rights have to force their way back in, one of Pardew biggest failings is his inability to drop his favourites or pandering to his ‘purples’.

• expatmag

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Slank

Sissoko on the wing!!!!!!!!!

Are you well?????????

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Not impressed with this new keyboard.

• expatmag

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I like the look of Jamestoon team.

Exceptional balance and will win the game.

• clinath@ed

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Expat…I think you need to retread slanks post. It was brummie who suggested Sissoko on the wing.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Slank,
    A bit contradictory saying players should force their way back in and wanting to reward good performances to bring back Rivi for Ayoze when Rivi has been poor all season and Ayoze has 2 in his last 2 Prem appearances.

• GatesheadMag

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I wouldnt play sissoko on the wing, hes playing well in the middle. I would like to see aarons start if hes fully fit, prefer him to sammy ameobi. Ameobi has his brothers traits of doing something good then 2 minutes later just strolling about.

• GatesheadMag

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Also i agree with the force your way back into the team menthod. But surely cisse has merited his place?? He started this whole good run by scoring 2x against hull. Think things would have been alot worse if he hadnt

• expatmag

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Slank

My apologies.

Brummie

Sissoko on the wing!!!!!!!

Are you well???????

Lol

• Santon03

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM

I would go for 4-3-2-1

——————–Krul——————–
    Janma—–Saylor———Colo—–Dummet
    ——-Abeid——-Sisso——Coll———
    Cabella——————————Aarons
    —————Perez/Cisse——————

Sammy couldn’t last 90minutes, probably as a sub for Aarons

• expatmag

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Gateshead Mag

I dont think Cisse is 100% therefore he shouldnt play until he is.

Likewise Tiote

• mindshaft

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I imagine that one defeat will see gouff and Anita back in starting eleven at the way expense of abeid and Aarons / Sammi
    Despite the fact that both of them did nothing for the last 25 games