Jonas To Return To Newcastle – I Want My Place Back

The good news that Jonas Gutierrez has beaten cancer was very well received by fans around the world, but the Argentine International is not stopping there – and he  is already in training and plans to return to Newcastle soon.

Jonas Gutierrez +Chelsea+

Jonas Gutierrez – when playing for Newcastle

Jonas made two appearances for Newcastle about a year ago, and the 31 year-old has only just finished his chemotherapy treatment, which has ultimately been successful, and Jonas is already back in training in Argentina.

The Argentine International plans to return to Tyneside next month to resume training, and that’s not too surprising since he is still contracted to Newcastle though the end of next June.

And it’s also a case of Jonas picking up his life and career,  after being declared cancer free.

And the fact that he finished the Buenos Aries marathon last month,  shows that he must be in more than decent shape.

This is what Jonas has said today:

“My aim is to play every single game and earn a starting place,” “That’s no different to any young player,  but I feel good and am trying to get back into the  swing of things.”

We put out a poll earlier today and asked fans if they wanted to see Jonas back at Newcastle, and 90% said yes.

Should Newcastle Bring Jonas Back To Tyneside

Loading ... Loading ...

It looks like Jonas’ amazing story and journey are not over yet.

After the way he beat cancer,  there’s just no telling what he can now achieve on the football pitch – and I for one would not bet against him winning back his starting place – although it will be tough.

But that seems easy and straight forward – compared to what he’s just accomplished in beating cancer – and we expect Jonas to be an inspired man when he returns to Tyneside.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• jimmysmith

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Never bought into the notion of being Pardewed, but if ever a player has been, its Jonas, asked to toil endlessly up and down that left flank, and getting on with it like a real pro, and appearing leggy as a result, but who to be fair, never really had that explosive pace anyway. Great servant, top man, and terrific player in his pomp but hard to see a way back for him at this stage of his career and with the competition in the squad for places. Still a useful squad player, if fit, but perhaps another club could benefit from him more and he from them.

• lesh

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM

jimmysmith

Yup, Jonas’ll make a more than useful squad player who could help fill in for Obertan.

• jimmysmith

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM

I think Obertan has had to be so fit, to do the job he was asked to do, that it very likely has made him vulnerable to pulled and torn muscles. He has looked a really finely tuned athletic specimen to me this season, performing at a physical peak and extreme.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:36 AM

Absolutely he should be allowed to come back.

Wether he’ll have the fitness to get his place back will be down to him but he’s one of our and we need to return the loyalty he has shown us by a least giving him a shot at getting back and give him every once of support we can while he is doing it.

• Chris

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Ed – you’ve included the wrong quote in this article.

Didn’t you think it was a bit strange that Jonas appeared to have referred to himself as a “young player”?

It wasn’t Jonas who said that – it was Aarons:

“Aarons, speaking to the club’s website, said:

“I feel good. I was happy to finish the (Liverpool) game and I’m still building my fitness back up, and trying to get back into the swing of things.

“My aim is to play every single game and earn a starting place, but that’s no different to any young player in the Newcastle team. I’ve just got to work hard and try my best, as I’m still young.”

• RAM

Nov 5, 2014 at 3:16 AM

I salute Jonas for the courage. But practically speaking Jonas is not up to the mark for the mission in our dream. I wish all the best to Jonas, but I’m afraid there are some young lads (like Cabella) who can manage better than Jonas at this moment.

• expatmag

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:24 AM

He will come back and train with the squad until his contract rubs out in June when he will be released.

He will then return to Argentina and finish his career at some obscure club.

• Klatoon

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:30 AM

will never forget that debut against manure…at old trafford…under Keegan…tearing them apart. Really really thought, we have something special here! oh well

• Santon03

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:51 AM

another great story add to Abeid, Obertan, Raylor stories. I definitely would love to see him in black and white again, I won’t be surprised if he signed a new deal with us. He will prove doubters wrong like so many has done before. His work rate at least is much better than Gouffran who offers nothing but work rate, if Goufran gets starting place then Jonas will definitely get one. Even if he’s not playing anymore then at least offer him a coaching job at NUFC. He doesn’t complain even when he has gone through the worst time of his life and he will encourage others, he’s been there and done it without moaning.
    I can’t imagine how the team spirit will be like when he comes back, it will be soaring high.

• BigPapaCisse

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:26 AM

As much as he puts in 110% every game and was a very loyal dude, he doesn’t cut it. He has no pace or doe snot offer much.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:33 AM

Still deserves a shot.

It’s not costing us anything to let him come back and have a go.

If we don’t treat the players we’ve got with fairness and respect, why would any other want to come and play for us.

• Santon03

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:37 AM

Exactly, Canny.

Give him a chance, we won’t know his capability until we give him a chance to show it then judge, not before.

• expatmag

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:18 AM

There is no sentimentality in football and certainly not under Ashley.

One of the reasons Man Utd were so successful under Ferguson was he wasnt afraid to get rid of players who had outlived their usefulness.

Unfortunately for Jonas, he falls into that category and whilst I sympathise and admire him over his situation, at his state of fitness and health as well as contract status, he offers little for the future.

I would rather see the kids playing than him.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:31 AM

I have no problem with Jonas coming back, would provide good experience and would be a useful attitude and character to have around our youngsters. He is part of our named squad and is still under contract with the club, so there is little point in keeping him away if he is ready and willing to come and train with the club.

Still, as Expat says, there is no room for sentimentality, and he probably isn’t up to it in the Prem now. He could be a handy player to use to close games out if required, but definitely not a starter.

I can only imagine the uproar on here if he AND Goofy both started n the flanks!

• Santon03

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:41 AM

expat

I don’t mind ferguson policy, but first you have to give him chance to show if he is up to it or not, you can’t judge people being unuseful before giving him a chance to prove. If you are in his shoes, you would want the same thing.

• Toon-Prodigy

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:46 AM

I’v got alot of time for Jonas and I admire his courage with what he has been through, but it’s a no for me on the playing field.

The NUFC ship has sailed and moved on.

Saying that though, no problem in having his personality and experience around the training ground. Im sure he would like to be around everyone also after his ordeal.

• Ron Knee

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:05 AM

Jail
    In response to your post yesterday: The Gods were smiling on us at Spurs. How many chances did we make in 90 minutes? No more than four, I think. Ameobi could have easily smashed the ball into the side netting and Perez’s header could have gone flying over the post!

• JamesToon

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I agree BPC, only position i could see him is CDM/CM

• expatmag

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Santon

I agree he would be useful on the training ground especially in the academy but it will take him virtually the remainder of the season to be fit enough to play at PL standard and having nit been considered for the first team prior to his illness as well as the rumoured automatic contract clause, I think it is highly unlikely to be considered for selection.

We have a number of young players starting to make their marks in the senior team and I would not want their progress stunted by selecting Jonas ahead of them.

I have been in a similar situation myself as a coach several times and I can tell you that there is no benefit to a winning formula by showing a degree of compassion for older players who quite clearly no longer cut the mustard so to speak

Having said that, I would certainly look at using him in some other capacity within the football areas of the club, like the academy.

Head has to rule the heart here.

• stan anderson

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:25 AM

We are so 2 faced,nobody on here had a good word for Jonas not so long ago.
    I always rated the man as a 100% and a trier who did a lot for the team,but i dont back bringing him back for sentimental reasons.
    If he was,nt good enough last year or the previous year is he going to be good enough now.
    Pay the mans contract up in full and let him make his own way.
    Good luck and good health to him.

• tequilamag

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Stan, bit of a sweeping statement to say nobody had a good word to say for Jonas when he was playing 2 seasons ago. I remember arguing the case for Jonas on many occasions

• G

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Bring him back, get him playing holding midfield, hes done brilliantly there in the past.

• MNTOONARMY9

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Jonas played a handful of games a few seasons ago at a holding midfield/CM spot and was brilliant. If he can be fit and effective, it would be nice to have him as a defensive stopper option to come on at 72 minutes when we have a one goal lead.

Still, it will be a haul for him to return to fitness.