Frenchman Admits He Was Lost At Newcastle

It was good to see Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa called back into the France squad once again today, after he has been playing so well for Roma, while on loan for the season from Newcastle.

mapou yanga-mbiwa in france colors

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa in French colors

The 25 year-old had a tough time of things at Newcastle for one and a half seasons, since signing on in January of last year, and he played 46 times for Newcastle, so he got a number of games.

But for whatever reason Mapou’s form was up and down, and in one game he would really look the part, but then in the next game he would be all over the place.

Some have criticized Alan Pardew for not playing him in what he considers his best position – center-back -= but early on it was noticeable that his heading was not a strong point of his game, and there are lots of high balls played into the box in the English game.

But Mapou  has shown what a great character he is, by coming back well for Roma,  and he had this to say to RMC about his call up again for the National side:

“I am very happy to have been called up.  I will give my best if the coach sends me out onto the pitch.” “At Newcastle I was lost, there were too many clouds over me.”  “It was a very complicated time, but now I’m back to my best.”

“I need to be a little wary after the injury,  but I’m slowly getting back to my best.” “I am very happy with this call-up and it  is always a pleasure to be part of the coach Didier Deschamps’  squad.”

“I know that I am here to complete the squad and give of my best. If I get the chance to play I would give it everything I have got for the team.”

Maybe the Italian League suits him a lot better than the Premier League, but there’s very little chance of him ever returning to Newcastle, and even those words above suggest it would be hard to think he wants to return to Tyneside.

The deal at Roma could be made permanent in January or next summer, and Newcastle are expected to get the money back they paid for him to Montpellier – which was around €8M (£6.5M).

Mapou currently has three senior caps for France.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Average_Contents

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:49 PM

Beermonkey

I’ll be pulling my fcuking hair out mate if he’s on the right wing!

So far in this little run that we are on we’ve played counter attacking football to good effect but against west brom I expect us to have a more possession based game and boss it, trying to open up their defence with not just pace but power and craft.

I understand the need to play counter attack against the bigger teams we’ve faced recently but to concede similar areas of the pitch to west brom as we did with spurs, citeh and Liverpool would be disappointing to say the least. Here’s hoping.

• Average_Contents

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Sorry ed. You left out the bit where he said “a team that plays real football”

Obviously on about Roma here.

“I had lost myself at Newcastle. Maybe it was too cloudy!

“It wasn’t easy but now I have found a bit of match fitness and a team that plays real football.

“I need to be a little wary after the injury but I’m slowly getting back to my best.”

• beermonkey

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:53 PM

good luck to mbiwa shame it didn’t work here for him

average

its gonna be tough for pards he will naturally want to tighten up a bit consolidate this run but if he does we will lose the threat we have carried

we will see what he does in time but hope the only change he makes is with bringing cabella in

• magoo

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:31 AM

2 good posts there av, an innocent omittal by ed i am sure

• magoo

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM

come to think of it have we actually scored any goals recently that werent on the break, the result of sustained possession & pressure ?

• expatmag

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Lesh
    (From a couple of threads ago)

Playing Haidara at LB away in a 433 is dangerous as he clearly lacks the defensive abilities of Dummett.

Also Dummett made the overlap and one two with Sissoko to create the winner against Liverpool.

My team for WBA

Tiote/Raylor

• dexter53

Nov 7, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Hes shit.

• Chris

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:34 AM

Just a word of caution – that Mbiwa interview was conducted in French and, as is often the case, has been very poorly translated.

For the record, MYM did NOT say that he was getting back to his best, slowly or otherwise. He simply said that it was HIS AIM to give of his best, and that he would need to fight to be able to achieve it.

Also, he didn’t say that he had found a team that plays REAL football. He didn’t use an adjective to describe it at all. He just used the word “football”.

Finally, he didn’t make any comment about match fitness. He just said that he was getting a bit of rhythm back.

I don’t know who translates this stuff, but whoever it is, they’re really shit at it.

In case you’re interested, I’ve reproduced below the complete text of the interview as reported on the RMC website (with English translation), so that you can see what MYM actually DID say:

“Je suis très heureux d’être appelé. Ça fait toujours plaisir de faire partie de la liste.
    I am very happy to have been picked. It is always a joy to be part of this list.

“Je suis là pour compléter le groupe, donner le meilleur et si je peux jouer……
    I am there to complete the group, to give my best and if I can play…

“Il faut se battre pour donner le meilleur de soi-même.”
    I need to fight to give the best of myself.”

“Je m’étais perdu à Newcastle… Il y avait trop de nuages ! (rires)
    I got lost at Newcastle… there were too many clouds! (he laughs)

“C’était très compliqué.
    It was very complicated

“Là, je retrouve un peu de rythme, un groupe qui joue au football
    Now I am recovering a bit of rhythm, a squad that plays football.

“Bon, il faut faire attention à la blessure mais les sensations reviennent petit à petit.”
    Ok, I need to pay attention to my injury, but the right feelings are coming back, little by little.”

Écrit par La rédaction
    Written by the Editor

• jimmysmith

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:45 AM

Relative to the level, he was one of the shittest defenders I’ve seen in a Toon top. And if he’s been reported accurately about now playing for a team to hat plays “real football” he needs to take a good look at his own fecken eyeballs in the mirror. What’s French for pussy?

• jimmysmith

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:46 AM

Ed, people swear in this day and age, lighten up.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:50 AM

Chris : Thanks for the Translation !

Typical that an intervieuw given by a player in another Language can be twisted to give a complete different meaning to what is actually being said !

• Slank

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Expatmag

That’s my team too: Same defensive and same midfield and almost the same forward line that ended the Liverpool game.

My team for WBA

Krul

Janmaat Taylor Colo Dummett

Sissoko Abeid Colback

Riviere Cisse/Perez Aarons

• G

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Jimmy @ 9, fair point, but isnt it also fair that we recognise Ed’s preferences not to swear? I’m personally not offended by bad language, but many still are.

• toonincheek

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:54 AM

jimmysmith –

Do you regard learning swear words as part of a child’s education?
    Even if you yourself do, others do not.

If you cannot follow simple and reasonable rules outlined by Ed, then don’t post.

• jimmysmith

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Thanks for the sermon!

• jimmysmith

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:14 AM

I’d argue it depends more on the manner they are used, rather than the words themselves, in this day and age, as I said, but ok, I’ll take the admonishment on the chin, for the sake of the Bairns and those of a more sensitive disposition.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:40 AM

The pressure is still on Pardew and rightly so, but if we lose while putting in a good shift then I don’t think he’ll have the baying mob on his case, a loss in the manner of Stoke or So to is a different matter.
    My team for WBA
    Krul
    Janmaat STaylor Collo Dummet

Abeid Sissoko Colback

Aaron Perez Cabella

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:41 AM

What’s with the swearing

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Jail,
    Completely agree on your team. If Tiote and Cisse are borderline fit, then no point risking them while others are performing. Bench duty for both if possible.

Sammi to come on at some stage and continue his run of decent form.

Add a top striker to that and a top centre back and the side is looking good.

• GatesheadMag

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Congrats mapou!!
    Cant see us playing without the ball again sunday, their back 4 isnt the quickest. We should be getting at them!!

• Average_Contents

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:53 AM

Yeah what’s with the swearing? Did ed comment then delete it or something?

• GatesheadMag

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:24 AM

When mbiwa says he was lost at newcastle i know what he means… some of those roads in the city centre

• ballerfan2

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Jail-“The pressure is still on Pardew and rightly so, but if we lose while putting in a good shift then I don’t think he’ll have the baying mob on his case”

An idealistic and somewhat naive take on how a number of our “supporters” react to defeat. The first game of the season v Man City is a perfect example. A classy and encouraging performance ultimately ending in defeat was the cue for the anti establishment mob to sharpen their claws.

• Harley

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Great news he’s back in the French squad. Probably means we’ll get a decent fee.

• robertsleftfoot

Nov 7, 2014 at 8:59 AM

DOnt really understand how he has been getting rave reviews, he played CB in the game the got battered 7-1 against bayern and they have lost to the likes of Empoli when he has started

His form may have improved on what it was at NUFC but lets face it, it could not have got any worse could it. Get rid in January and get someone else in, really think we should have got hangelaand on free for a year as a back up

• toonincheek

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM

jimmysmith –

It’s not that we grown-ups are of a sensitive disposition.

Using swear words is an indication of limited language skills – and you definitely don’t suffer from that.

• Munster Mag

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM

It was the correct decision to dump Mapou. He was rubbish for us, overall. We should have got a replacement.

• chuck

Nov 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Toonincheek

Your statement is oxymoronic.