Newcastle After Top Serbian International Striker

Newcastle United are reported to be watching Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrovic, who is currently at top Belgium club Anderlecht.

BELGIUM SOCCER JPL DAY 14 ANDERLECHT VS OH LEUVEN

Aleksandar Mitrovic – Newcastle interested

The 20 year-old 6’2″ striker was the player who scored the late equalizer for Anderlecht in last week’s Champions League group game at Arsenal – which ended 3-3.

The 20-year-old seems a natural goalscorer,  and was at Belgrade clubs Teleoptik and Partizan before joining the Belgium club in the summer of 2013.

The transfer fee was €5M (£3.9M), which is Anderlecht’s record transfer fee.

Aleksandar has scored 11 goals in just 20 appearances for Anderlecht this season, and in his first full season in Belgium last term he
scored 16 goals in 39 appearances.

This is his fifth season and he already has 127 appearances with 52 goals.

Newcastle are short of at least one striker, having failed to bring in a top striker over the summer transfer window, and the club may now try to bring in a striker in the January transfer window.

Aleksandar Mitrovic has played for the Serbian U19 (13 appearances, 5 goals) and U21 sides (8 appearances, 6 goals), and he has 8 full caps for Serbia with one goal, after making his debut last year.

The lad is certainly the right age, and he only turned 20 in September, so he looks to have huge potential.

Here are his goals in Belgium last season.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Average_Contents

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Damn you ed. Everytime.

Hope so Novo mate.

Graeme

It’s stupid mate. Putting prestige and stubbornness over a genuine risk to life. What confuses me more is the actual competition isn’t held like clockwork every year, sometimes it’s every 2, sometimes it’s year after year so what’s the problem. I understand it’s big obviously but big enough to endanger even more lives? Sorry, not for me. I could be wrong about the timings of the tournament but I’m sure I read somewhere a few years back it changes.

Is it greed? I don’t really follow African football or their associations tbh so don’t know enough to comment on the political side of things but no doubt politics will be playing it’s part as it always has in everything since the beginning of time.

For selfish reasons I’m obviously hoping it gets postponed because like I said previously, if those players go and with the long term injuries we have come January our squad will be decimated and I can’t see fatty sanctioning cash spend to cover because the players will be back in February. Can’t be having too many players now can we, Jesus we just about get by on the bare minimum because he likes a gamble the slug.

Lose lose for us this time.

• Graeme

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Never heard of him, but, for £4 million its not a bad punt. you never know he may just be 3 times beter than £1.3 million Perez lol

I’m sure our Illustrious Owner, working with Mr Carr will produce what we n eed in January!! Fingers crossed!!

• Blofal

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM

With this good run of form I’d almost forgotten that we have Siemens De Jong to come back.

That scares me a bit because I do fear that when he comes back Pardew may revert back to the old 4-2-3-1 system instead of the 4-3-3 that is working so well.

• Graeme

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Average, its held every TWO years. FIFA has tried very hard to bring it into line with World Cup, European Championship to be held every four years. The African FA”s have refused to budge, they want the money it brings in; simple as that.

• Average_Contents

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Graeme

Ok wasn’t sure but I’ve just looked up past years and before 1968 it was held 1 year apart sometimes two or three. Then steadily every two years until 2012, 2013 and now 2015. So they’ve gone 3 year’s before and one year recently too. Still, I think it’s silly to not postpone it but like you said it must be financial.

• BonVoyageBenny

Nov 11, 2014 at 11:40 PM

One of the most talented young strikers in Europe, shows a great amount of potential, rough around the edges but has great ability.

• Graeme

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM

BVB – if thats correct, then £4 million is a snip!!!

• lesh

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:38 AM

Graeme

Nah mate, not guilty, tweren’t me wit killed the blog…..

Honest, it was on its last legs when I put me three penn’orth in.

Ah but, could it be stirring? yes! A miracle! There is a god after all.

It’s alive and well!

Rejoice, rejoice!!!!

• Graeme

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Praise to the powers that be – we are spared, the blog is alive lol
    Lesh, you are forgiven ish!!

• Toon-Prodigy

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM

Can’t see us signing anyone, I think they will cash in on Tiote. Abeid to be his ready made replacement.

He is on cheaper wages, perfect for Ashley. No doubting it will weaken us though if we pick up an injury with him. Im not a fan of Anita and think he should go also, I suppose it will all depend if we can recoup the fee which is important to Ashley.

Hmm, Anita and Tiote to leave maybe? I think atleast one of them will be gone.

No doubt there will be a gamble from NUFC in January, it’s common for us to weaken the squad to lower the wage bill. Never really strengthen.

• Chris

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM

“Never heard of him, but, for £4 million its not a bad punt…”

I think you’ll find he’d cost a bit more than that!

Nenad Jestrovic (his agent) said:

“Benfica and Liverpool were willing to pay €13m for him and Russian outfit Rubin even offered €20m, but Anderlecht didn’t want to hear about a transfer.

“His father and I told him that he is still young and he will have a lot of opportunities to leave Anderlecht in the future. I’m sure that price will be even higher when he moves somewhere else.”

• RonVanDam

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:22 AM

The player i can compare him to is Jordan Rhodes – better version 🙂

• mikeyconcon

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Never seen him before but decent scoring record and we need a new striker. Not that I’m not convinced Riviere and Ferreyra won’t eventually cut it as Riviere has shown some remote promise and Ferreyra is awesome on Footy Manager, but if this guy is good, having him, Perez and Cisse ain’t too shabby. Not getting too excited about Perez but he’s gotten off to a very good start. He continues the way he’s been going I’ll jump on the bandwagon that’s appeared over the last 2 weeks.

• Reyantoon

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:42 AM

Good to see some fans amazed and delighted in our recent resurgence and waiting for the next victims..
    Personally think the main factors for our recent excellent form is: 1)the solid form of Colo,stamina of sissoko and emergence of some of youngsters like Dummett.2)the personal abilities, mental strength and great game setup of the manager.
    He may not be the best,but I think he has some undeniable qualities and perfect game plans.Which he proved that in different difficult games like man cty,spurs,Liverpool and westbrom.
    It’s understandable some fans want to see good attracting football.Some want to see individual skillful players like hatem, cabella…
    But the most important thing is the final outcome isn’t it?Attracting Fb will not take us forward, so does individual skill shows but the WIN does.
    So big credit should be given to the boss for turning the club and the players in to decent side,which is not easy to do in this difficult big league. It is also understandable that still is early days to say things wordfully but we are all over tv news,radio talks internet,everyday,w/h they all incredibly amazed.
    other than that,
    Obviously,we have better squad than last year.We have two players in every position w/h will make our progress smooth.Even with so many big players missing, we look match fit to any opponent.I hate international breaks as it may slow down our momentum, but consequently is good to recover,analyze mistakes and make fit injured ones.If our defenders and strikers ( mainly) perform like this,we should forget about signing new players because this players deserve a chance to play and show what more they can do.I do too want to see some new faces in Jan but unless we sustain unexpected long term injuries,I don’t see that happening considering the players excellent recent form.
    To sum up,almost all top 4 or 5 clubs are struggling,
    MC,LP,TOT,ARS,EVE,even MU too..except Chelsea,
    which makes us even interms of challenging for the top four.But we have an advantage, we gained momentum and shape,which they luck right now,that is vital in this league.
    Hope we always be injury free as we progress..
    Hope more excitement to come..
    Eagerly waiting the December crackers..
    HWTL!!

• BandB

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:02 AM

Prodigy,

I said a couple of days ago that I didn’t think we’d buy a striker or a centre back. But I don’t think we will necessarily sign nobody.
    The club told the fans’ forum the case for a striker would have to be made, as De Jong was meant to be the missing link. And we have a new centre back to come in summer. Dummett may also have laid a claim to partner Coloccini ahead of Williamson and maybe even Taylor for now. The option is there.
    Tiote may go. IF we get the right offer. I think both sides may think he’s “done his bit” for us, and what we may have now is a Cabaye-style situation being handled more discreetly. Anita looks a bad fit..for us. Ideally they would probably want Bigiramana to step up, as Abeid appears to have. Abeid at last appears to be being groomed, but he is still unproven, could lose form and may break down.
    So, though everyone will throw their hands up, I believe there’s a chance we could sign a utility midfielder to play alongside Colback. Sissoko could drop back to accommodate the return of De Jong, but one can never have enough defensive midfielders. Or full backs, the other thing I think we’ll look at. At least half of Janmaat’s Newcastle career could be over by June if the Debuchy situation was any guideline and Haidara and the perma-crocked Santon are the only other out and out specialists.
    Whether any business is done in January probably relies on new money from outgoings, but even so I don’t think AS THINGS STAND NOW that a striker or centre back will be priorities.

• Toon-Prodigy

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:36 AM

BandB,

I can certainly see Tiote leaving, Anita I feel we could well lose money on and he maybe kept because of this.

Looking around the squad it’s not too bad when we look at the likes of Obertan, Aarons and Abeids form. It has been totally unexpected and has gave us that bit depth in numerous positions also. Add Dummett and Ameobi to that mix aswell.

All of a sudden it dosn’t look bad at all. Rest assured though if Ashley dosn’t feel he needs to spend he won’t.

What I don’t want to see is gambles from Ashley in January. I don’t want to see us left wanting in positions for the sake of trimming the wage bill ie M’Biwa, Ben Arfa. He has showed on more than one occasion he dosn’t mind derailing a good start to the season if a good offer comes in for a player in January.

It’s a funny one this, im quite happy with the squad, and that’s the first time in a long time i’v felt that way. If everyone was fit it would look brilliant.

I do feel though that a centre forward should be our priority though when we do venture into the market.

I don’t know what is going on with this Argentinian lad, it’s a little worrying to be honest.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:41 AM

I see the AFCON has reared its head. South Africa have issued an initial no, but news over here suggests that it hasn’t fully ruled it out. Egypt has ruled it out for financial reasons, not because of health issues. Ghana has there national elections when the tournament starts, and due to the nature of elections in many African countries do not want the added security strain of a major tournament.

None of the countries currently infected are likely to make it and therefore unlikely to have people travelling to the tournament. People sometimes don’t appreciate how big Africa is. For example, if the Tournament were to be held in South Africa, the countries currently suffering from Ebola would be closer to Newcastle, and as there is more chance of people from these West Africa travelling to UK/USA/Mainland Europe then heading to SA.

There was a brief outbreak in Nigeria, but it was effectively contained and it is now a clean country. The health risk is minimal. Same was the case in DRC, it is now contained.

I have friends in Sierra Leone, and you have to be in fairly close contact with a sufferer to contract this, and the AFCON has minimal risk of causing a further spread. The widespread panic in Europe is mainly down to the sensationalism of the media. Provided they find a suitable host nation, I see no reason why it shouldn’t go ahead.

• JamesToon

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM

Fans are so fickle sometimes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying this form and backing the team, but after just 4 wins still doesn’t make me join the pro pardew clan. He OWES us these wins, we’ve gone through 2 and a half years of hell under pardew and it just magically disappears in 4 games? We need 2 years of good consistency and top 8/9 for pardew to get in my good books.

I am glad the team is winning and players like aarons and perez are FINALLY being given a chance

• Reyantoon

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Lil
    I think morroco did the right thing to withdrew from hosting ACN,fearing it may spread throughout the country, and I think they are right,health should come first from everything. You don’t know what’ll gonna happen as it hasn’t been controlled yet.
    I like to see postpone the tournament but looks like the ACN heads stand firm to make it going.SA will be good to host as they have ready made stadiums and infrastructure. Algeria ,Tunisia and Egypt are also good destinations capable of hosting without trouble in this short period. Other than this countries I don’t think many are capable and looks risky..
    whay don’t it be host in June,like FIFA world cup?

• G

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:46 AM

JamesToon 100% agree mate.

• jimmysmith

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:57 AM

Newcastle have sold their best players and failed to replace them in a timely manner, or with players of a similar stature, and had inconsistent performances from key players or long absences. Carroll, Ba, Remy, Enrique, and more recently Cabaye and Debuchey. Collocini missed the better part of half a season, when he was most needed. Cisse couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo for almost two. Ben Arfa basically wasted his talent and created disharmony, and this side is barely recognizable from last seasons.

It’s hardly any sort of recipe for consistency, yet it’s Pardew that’s the cause, according to many, not the clubs transfer policy. I don’t see how you can draw any conclusion from the way the club continual bounces back from its self inflicted setbacks, other than that Pardew is actually quite capable, to say the least.

• Mag52

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:03 AM

James

Fair enough comments with possibly the exception being the emphasis on FINALLY regarding playing Aarons and Perez in the side.
    We are only 11 games into the season. Aarons is still only 18 and Perez only joined us this season.
    Presumably you can’t be meaning they should have been played last season.
    IMO the more senior players were given a shot in the early games this season, rightly so, and a bit of a gamble was then taken on the youngsters which, so far at least, appears to be paying off.

• jimmysmith

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM

We’ve endured half a season of inexplicable form, and occasions where the players should have hung their heads in shame, so lackluster were they, and a number of galling and humiliating derby performances.

The only one that’s really gone through hell though is Pardew.

• Toon-Prodigy

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Pardew maybe at the helm, but there are far more mitigating circumstances as to what has caused the poor displays also.

There always has been a shared blame for me, never down to just Pardew.

Ashley will always be my first port of call first and foremost with any blame under these structures.

If Pardew had been fully backed to the hilt and actually had really been helped by Ashley then it would be a no brainer for me, but it’s not been the case for me.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:13 AM

i really don’t get some fans, dear me.

• jimmysmith

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I believe the clubs transfer policy has been the catalyst, for our ups and downs, while Pardew has been a fairly steady, if perhaps uninspired, hand at the tiller. But despite that criticism, the transfer policy, which essentially is set it and stick to it, might just ultimately end up working, at least in as much as we might end up punching our true weight consistently.That’s still true, isn’t it? And in fact, looking more than an outside punt as things stand.

True enough though, for a Billionaire, the owner has been frustratingly prudent with spending on players , when we might have done better to have been more flexible and aggressive from time to time. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:28 AM

Reyan,
    If the health and safety was such a major issue for all of the people complaining on here, then how come there was no outcry for the African equivalent of the Europa or Champions League? Which saw teams and fans travelling all over Africa for a period of months?

Ebola has only affected 7 African countries, with 3 being declared Ebola free by the WHO since, and 1 country having just 1 case. Only the three main countries, Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone currently have Ebola cases. The disease is currently contained in those countries. None of those will qualify anyway. The people of these countries, other than the very rich, wouldn’t have the finances to travel to the competition anyway, but especially if there side doesn’t make it. The richer people from Sierra Leone regularly travel to the UK to watch Premier league matches I am reliably told.

South Africa is the best option given location and the infrastructure, and for all concerned a better option than calling it off at this stage. It isn’t just CAF, but some of the African FA’s would not be able to afford to continue operating without the finance that is coming in. Jerome Champagne talks about the disparity of finance in the game in a recent interview and press release as part of his election campaign, and that FIFA is already having to heavily subsidise a lot of these FA’s just to survive, with that funding to be increased if he gets the role. Calling it off will set football back here a long way.