Is Newcastle Career Over For This Former Top Youngster?

When Haris Vuckic first arrived on Tyneside in January of 2009 from NK Domzale in Slovenia,he was one of the top young players in Europe at only 16 years of age, and much was expected from the Ljubljana, Slovenia born player.

haris vuckic sheffield wednesday

Haris Vuckic – time running out at Newcastle

Newcastle beat a lot of top European clubs in getting the youngster from Slovenia, and at the time it was thought to be a coup for Newcastle.

And when Alan Pardew arrived at Newcastle almost four years ago in December of 2010, he was told one of Newcastle’s best young players was Haris, and the manager quickly signed him to an extended deal in January of 2011, which runs out in the summer of 2016 – so Haris has a little over 18 months left on that contract.

But he has a hard job making the bench these days, and plays his football for the impressive Newcastle U21 side, after spending time out on loan at Cardiff City in 2012, and Rotherham for the second half of last season.

haris vuckic alan pardew jan 2011

Haris Vuckic with Alan Pardew – January 2011

Vuckic has had far too many injuries during his time at Newcastle, and that has certainly hampered his progress at the club.

The Newcastle U21 side hope to go top of the Barclays U-21 Premier League Division 2, when we play Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Thursday, and we need a point to go above Arsenal to the top of the league.

This is what Haris has said today about things at Newcastle:

“The manager gave me a chance when I was 18. I had a few injuries but I just need to fight and get in the first team again” “I made my full debut against West Brom and that was a great experience for me. I had a few injuries that put me back, but I just need to fight and get in the first team again.”

“I want to play in the first team and U-21 games only help you to show the manager that you can play for the first team, so I just want to score goals and show the manager I can play in the Premier League.”

“Sometimes if you play in an U-21 game in a training ground, it’s not such a good atmosphere like it is in stadiums. Our last game was in St James’ Park. It’s totally different playing in the stadium instead of the training ground.”

“That helps you to get ready for the first team, playing in the stadiums as well. It’s a massive experience”

Haris has to play well for the U21 side so he can again force himself into Pardew’s first team match day squad of 18.

And he can take encouragement from the way Mehdi Abeid has come through to the first team, after his season-long loan deal in Greece last year and the two players are very close in age – with Haris being 15 days younger than Mehdi.

But the 6′ 1¨ tall 22 year-old will have to make a move into the first team soon, if his career is going to continue at Newcastle, because time is running out.

We hope the Slovenian International can be yet another youngster who comes through to the first team this season.

That would be great.

Haris has played 18 times for the Newcastle first team with one goal – so far.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Blaydon-Toon

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Never really been a fan of his – think his ship has sailed ! Not strong or quick enough to play in the prem but could possibly do ok in Italy where the pace of the game is not as fast …

• mikeyconcon

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM

If we become short of options in attacking midfield then maybe give him a chance and see if he can produce some good form but to be honest, I don’t see him breaking into our first team this season. Wasn’t he mainly on the bench at Rotherham?

• ToonLynx

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Who would people want in January for CB?

Fabian Schär
    Stefano Denswil
    Robin Knoche
    Matija Nastasic
    Eder Alvarez Balanta
    Virgil Van Dijk

• duncandisorderly

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Ashley Williams? don’t shoot me!

Perhaps Vuckic should have a go at CH – he’s on;y got to be better than Willo and Saylor…

• croftus5678

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:03 PM

he’s 22 now and if i’m right needs a squad number !
    always been injury prone but is like a keiron dyer type as in potential to be great but never fit for long enough to ever do anything and the only way he will get better is to play which he certainly wont be doing in our club.

we have a new super talented young cm now in mackenzie heaney who will hopefully turn out better in 3-5 years time so think we should let vukic take the chance to be a star in another league maybe abroad where he wont get injured so much because of a slower pace.

• duncandisorderly

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM

hmm maybe not – Williams has just turned 30

• stunna

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM

doesn’t this story get posted every year?

• mag92

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:17 PM

He’s never progressed like the others have and he’s injury prone!

• catchy in norway

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Strola got contract after contract being a promising talent

and did not have half the talent this kid does

another pardewed player

• ToonLynx

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:27 PM

@DuncanDisorderly

In response to your post on previous post regarding leadership in back 4.

I believe that Janmaat is our next Captain in waiting! Im sure he will be more than capable leading the line alongside Lascelles who is very vocal for Forest when I watched him last year!

Only question is if its Janmaat or Siem De Jong for full Captaincy

• santonthenewmaldini

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM

@Catchy

Vuckic has never been fit enough to become Pardewed !! haha

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Which way will our club head next? We had the dire start, unable to win at all, looking lost on the pitch. Then a complete turnaround which happened with the introduction of younger players and a change in the positions played by a key few. We also saw a resurgence in Colo and some steady play from Taylor. Dummett looks good so far at CB as well. To me it looks as if we will probably be able to retain a mid table place now which I never would have believed after the first 8 games or so. Strange days indeed.

• cyprus

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Play him.

• spaghetti bandit

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Can yous remember his full debut,, his left foot is like a rocket,, he pinged 2 absolute beauty’s one of the post n one off the corner apex,, honestly think if he never had so many injuries we would of lost him to a big european club,, hope he makes it either at newcastle or somewhere else.. (btw @ mikeyconcon abeid wasn’t pulling up any trees at St Johnstone either)

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM

tuffers

i wasnt trying to be funny and anyway i could never usurp you as blog jester so carry on playing to the gallery albeit the cheap seats 😉

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM

If I continue to predict losses we should continue to win and that would be fine by me. 🙂

• spaghetti bandit

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM

B

• cyprus

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:39 PM

What do you predict vs QPR? A tough game that. Me, a draw. Hard fought…

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:39 PM

For example I’m predicting a 0-3 loss to QPR next. Beautiful.

• duncandisorderly

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Thanks @ToonLynx
    I admit that I haven’t seen Lascelles play at all but I hope the reports are accurate and the step-up achievable of course.
    I have seen a few posts talking up Steven Taylor and I just don’t get how short people’s memories are. To my mind, he will always be a liability. I sit next to a few guys in the Gallowgate end who are constantly on Dummett’s back, which I really don’t get – the lad is still learning.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Cyprus don’t ride the fence mate. Get out there a predict a loss as I’ve done. It’s the key to success! 😯

• cyprus

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Thanks for the instantaneous reply 😉

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:40 PM

and predict a loss…… But not 0-3. That’s already taken. 🙂

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:41 PM

geordie

should i put a fiver on that prediction haha

• cyprus

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I really think it will be a draw. Have watched QPR, they ain’t as bad as their position suggests. We are on a run which must end… a draw.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Of course my brilliant haiku from yesterday summarizes it all really.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:45 PM

If you are very brave wolfie then go ahead mate. 🙂 Cyprus, that gets a big Harrumph! from me. Draws are horrible, especially at home.

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:47 PM

i would be more worried about west ham the shamster always enjoys getting revenge on us

• cyprus

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Looking at fixtures… West Ham- draw too…. Can anyone comment on Burnley? Will we beat them away… Will Arsenal deliver the annual spanking or are they weaker than ever… I see us getting something from Chelsea… ok, that’s it, this glass ball thing is exhausting, especially with this team.

• cyprus

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Dislike draws too. It’s like one step forward two steps back. Prefer them to losses 🙂

• cyprus

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM

A team could be theoretically invincible, 0 losses, 38 draws and go down. Would that be cool?

• Go toon gooooo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:52 PM

How Vuckic can success in this club when he never get a chance to play.I think that he will do a excellent job on that left winger position(I forgot this player that exists).Thanks for reminding me.Bigirimana has 5 players that share his position and because of that he can’t play.But this player can play right now in the starting eleven.He is typical left winger.Remember we are without available wingers at the moment.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Where is Mr. Tufties today? He is usually on here by now. And Jail? I’m worried we’ll all let Pardew off the hook after a few wins (although they have been very good ones). Who would have believed we would beat Spurs away and knock Man City out of the cup away? Am I dreaming this or did it actually happen?

• Go toon gooooo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:56 PM

1.86 cm are not ideal height for winger but Pardew can try with him when other options aren’t available.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:57 PM

An unbeaten team being relegated Cyprus mate. Only you would have thought of that. The thought is horrible as it’s something Ashley might be able to do to us. 😯

• Mister Tuff

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM

G2 – I’ve already posted a couple of times today warning fellow posters of the celebratory exploding cigar – currently being puffed on the the pro Percy Brigade.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Very good point Mr. Tuff. I hope they are reading this and taking it to heart. Don’t get carried away yet you Pardew lovers. There is a long way to go. Still I have to say I’m shocked and pleased by the recent results.

• GeordieTwo

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Just got an update from beermonkey about the whole Norwegian mountain troll situation by the way. He says the whole thing is greatly exaggerated. He seems strangely hung over for a lad who supposedly spent the last 3 days in the mountains looking for trolls however. Hmmmmm.

• MNTOONARMY9

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I’ve always cheered for this fellow. What has gone on with Mehdi Abeid this season shows there is some hope for Haris, too. I recall Haris playing, I think, two years ago, and he had a game (against Blackburn?) where he hit the crossbar and post in the same game and showed good skill.

We all thought Gabby Obertan was “the forgotten man”, too and barring injury, he would have likely earned himself at least strong consideration of a new contract/extension. Maybe all Haris needs is some time in the first team.

• BeeGuy

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Seems the trick is to loan him out to a team in the Cl or Europa where he can get work vs. better players. Look at Abeid.

1 2 3 5