Which Of These Playmakers Should Newcastle Sign in January?

It’s very likely that Yohan Cabaye will come back to the Premier League in January, either on a loan deal through the end of the season or on a permanent deal, as he seems set on wanting to leave PSG.

yohan cabaye bayer leverkusen

Yohan Cabaye in action against Bayer Leverkusen in Champions League

For whatever reason, Yohan’s move to PSG hasn’t worked out, and when you are not getting a lot of playing time it is very difficult to get back to your very best form and your International place could also be in jeopardy.

While Yohan was at Newcastle, he played the best football of his career, but then bigger more ambitious clubs beckoned, and after trying to force a move to Arsenal just over a year ago,  PSG came in last January and he was off back home to France.

But it hasn’t worked out for the Frenchman, and now the question seems to be which club will he want to join in England.

It seems that both Arsenal and Liverpool are after the midfield play-maker, who will turn 29 in January.

Since Yohan wanted to join a club that played in the Champions League when he left Newcastle, it would be a surprise if Newcastle could somehow tempt him back to Tyneside, although he talks fondly of his 30 months at Newcastle United.

But even if Yohan wanted to come back, we wonder if owner Mike Ashley would be willing to shell out the £20M required for a 29 year-old?

clement grenier in white

Clement Grenier – 23 year-old Lyon midfield play-maker

We don’t think Mike would want to do that, and a better deal for Newcastle could be to pay out say £12M for 23 year-old Lyon midfield play-maker Clement Grenier.

Newcastle have been after the player since last January as a replacement for Yohan, and in the summer – until he had a groin operation in late August.

Clement has now returned to training at Lyon, after almost three months out of the game – so all being well he should be fit enough in a few weeks.

Yohan played 93 games for Newcastle with 18 goals after joining us from Lille for €5M in the summer of 2011 – and that was the buyout clause in his Lille contract.

Clement Grenier stands 6′ 1¨ tall and has spent his whole career at Lyon, and he’s played 117 times with 15 goals for his French club.

And since Mike Ashley always wants value in the transfer market – Clement could be a better buy because his value will very likely increase at Newcastle – if we can get him in.

That would not be true of Yohan Cabaye.

Which Playmaker Should Newcastle Sign In January?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• AccyToon1

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:11 PM

No brainer really. But if we can buy Clement and get Cabaya on loan then that would work for me. Gives Clement time then.

• magscar

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Just in time a new thread.

• Shaker Shakrah

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Don’t you get it ???
    The club will not sign any one until someone is SOLD !!!!
    and that’s still not GUARANTEED !!!!

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Why would be buy a play maker for money in a midfield that Pardew will be puzzled to fit in players returning from injury, imo and I’m pretty certain about this, we’ll only see out goings in january.

• BandB

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I wish I had your ability to rise above it all Magscar. Very magisterial. Top bloke.
    I will look forward to you commiserating with Welsh about the beastliness of certain bloggers when he sticks his head up again later. As you do.
    I haven’t changed my opinion of you.
    Nighty night x

• beermonkey

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:19 PM

would like to see abeid further up the pitch given his goals and assists last season out onloan

dejong will be back in jan what we should do is sort out our defence for next season

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Accy toon,
    And the sun will shine all day and it will only rain at night, the birds will sing happy sonfs and everyday will be a Friday.

• expatmag

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM

JFA

I agree. I dont think we will buy anyone unless the tough december schedule sees us pulled back into a relegation scrap.

Maybe a forward then.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Great we seem to be back to talking football now the scrag fight from the previous post is over!

Reckon Jail has this one right. Mashers will be on the money grab again.

Was always a big Cabaye fan but the whole strike and carry on still stings a bit and him not hanging round for the derby game which we lost as a result.
    New kid seems more of a possibility based on price if anyone is coming in.

• croftus5678

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:28 PM

i’d like to see a strong striker up top with perez and siem just behind them with our current cm of colback/sissoko/abied seing as its working so well for both attack and defence.

ba/benteke/bony type.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:29 PM

BandB,
    Exactly what you said earlier, all these posters who think they’re better than this ‘petty bitching’ would rather stay out of the way than speak out against the few posters trying their best to ruin the blog, all this pompous holier than thou attitude does is serve to the trolls the blog to themselves.

• jimmysmith

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM

We do seem to have real depth and decent quality now. I don’t see the urgent need for any signings, other than a striker, if in fact Ferreyra isn’t capable. We have a number of established players and a number of up and coming ones who deserve opportunities to prove themselves.

I’ll be disappointed if Tiote leaves, he’s entering his prime and can be instrumental in what could be an excellent side over the next couple of years. Similarly with Aarons, but we’ve been as guilty as anyone of opportunism in nabbing players, and that’s football I suppose.

But if Newcastle can keep these lads and push on one step from here to cement their place in the top eight, there’s far less reason for our best players to want to leave.

Newcastle can be a truly fantastic club and the perfect place for top players who might otherwise struggle to be regulars in the very elite sides, but who are none the less of the highest quality. I don’t think any of that is particularly wishful thinking in the position we are now in and hopefully Ashley has a similar view.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:33 PM

CC,
    It wasn’t a scrag fight ffs, it is people trolling looking for reactions, the fact that you can’t tell the difference between a debate and someone on a deliberate wind up is why so many are staying away now.

• magscar

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM

I said a while ago that if posters regard others as trolls then don’t give them the oxygen. Stop picking fights and trying to stir someone into getting themselves banned.

I am still waiting to discover the difference between fishing and trolling but no one has enlightened me.

Band B

I couldn’t really care whether or not your opinion of me has changed or not – I don’t post for your judgement. As someone said earlier what an ego.

For the record I don’t have a problem with Welsh or Mag 92 but that doesn’t mean I agree with them.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Jail, I don’t disagree that these exchanges start as really good debates but usually degenerate into name calling and hair pulling.

Jimmy – glad you reposted that. I think the wishful thinking is hoping that Ashley is of the same mind

• magscar

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:47 PM

jimmysmith

i would still like to se a CB and a striker as recent injuries have shown how fragile the squad is.

The recent good run if it stabilises might make Ashley make one of his famous gambles and wait until Summer.

I had been of the opinion that we were after a CB and striker up until last window closed but the right deal for Ashley wasn’t there. Times change and I am not certain that we will get both. That being the case and if only 1 was to come in then I would prefer a striker over the CB.

Dummet has been OK and Saylor but it is the protection recently afforded to the Back 4 from midfield and wide players that has also helped not just the personnel changes.

• BandB

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:48 PM

It is so droll.
    All these brave lads coming out now to talk about football, as the scratching and hair-pulling (by me, I have to presume) is over.
    Truth is, if I hadn’t intervened to give you all a few hours peace, you lads would have kept your craven heads down all night while Welsh and Mag92 high-fived each other until midnight. Scared they would pick on you.
    Enjoy the football chat lads. And blame me.
    Cowards.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Oh its all gone quiet over there, Oh its all gone quiet over there!!

• jimmysmith

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Yeah, Ashley, go figure. But it’s been a big seven years for him, and not simply at Newcastle. It’s hard to imagine someone going through that and not having the capacity to change as and when needed. This is a guy who doesn’t need the money, yet can’t stop making it. It doesn’t follow he’ll continue to squeeze and squeeze the club. I don’t see the need or benefit in it for him. In fact, that may have stopped a little time ago and still be unnoticed. But who knows.

• expatmag

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Band

Well this so called coward is happy to get back on subject so give yourself a huge pat on the back for saving us all from humiliation.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Sorry B, you will always have my support against the scraggers but the time difference means I am just logging on when you lot are all off to beddy byes

• expatmag

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Jimmy/canberra

If we dont set our expectations too high, Ashley might just surprise us as he did in january 2013.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 16, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Lets hope so Jimmy,

At a loss thoughand fully prepared to look silly when I ask What was it he went through you’re referring to?

• magscar

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Band B

Your posts prove you can look after yourself and I am not in anyone’s gang so don’t feel the need to join in against the perceived Blog trashers. As you know from my post some weeks ago I feel that the blame for that can be laid elsewhere.

When you made another of your storming entrances around 7:00 there had been chat between several posters not just Welsh and Mag 92 so I can’t see what provoked your outburst at Welsh. The posts may not have passed your literacy or sincerity tests but there was some reasonable chat.

• croftus5678

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM

@17 bandb

i dont blame you for having a go back at them esp when they are abusing you personaly as i hard to keep your temper when people wind you up.

i dont see many on here slate you for doing so they just have a different opinion of how to deal with it !

imo no one should be bullied into not commenting and if thats attempted you either have a go back like you did/ignor them or report them it doesnt matter which anyone chooses as long as there not scared of posting.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Mostly I believe that Surprise is just a posh word for shock but in this case I shall pray for one hell of a shock come January.

• magscar

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Expatmag

I think Ashley will only “surprise” us if his investment is in serious danger as it was in Jan 2013.

Go back a year though and you will recall Cisse bought for 10M (?) after passing on him at higher price in previous Summer. Something similar to that might happen?

• Shaker Shakrah

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Is it true that Colo & Staylor will be out for month ?
    🙁 🙁 🙁

• croftus5678

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM

@27 magscar

i think ashley has seen the light with youngsters now tbh we not only have 4-5 in and around first team quality atm but theres a few more knocking at the door in arma/bigi/callum/good/satka ect so i can see us signing a few more youngsters if anything with maybe a loan back scheme like darlow/lecalles.

• jimmysmith

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:13 PM

BandB, I know this is a bit of a long shot, but didn’t you and I used to be married.

• expatmag

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Magscar

Yes. I agree. Results between now and the end of the year may dictate this. We have some difficult games coming up and allied to our current injury problems, we may well get pulled back into a relegation scrap although I think we currently have an effective enough squad to finish midtable.

• geordie157

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Neither of them.

We should sign wijnaldum.

• BandB

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Canny,

Six hours til bedtime here.
    I do actually like to talk about football. Those who are offended tonight I can afford to lose. They are the usuals, at heart. It is funny, to me, that someone like Dulcinera can predict relegation and no-one calls him a neggar. Mag92 can call for Pardew to be eviscerated one week, and call for his detractors (of which I am not particularly one) to be stoned to death the next. Others can happily predict that half the team will be sold in January, and still claim to be positive people. It happened today. Yet if Jail (I’ll stick with him as my earlier example) says anything similar, he will be pronounced a moaner BY THE SAME PEOPLE! This isn’t honest debate. This is trolling.
    I write what I hear. Which is sometimes quite a bit. At the height of the post fifth optimism, I was hearing that we were going to rein back. We did. I knew that buy cheap, try to profit regardless of need was club policy long before anyone would accept it. I knew Ashley would end up running Rangers, when it was being scoffed out of town. We are, in the eyes of the management, West Brom or Sunderland. Like them, we will play good football and bad football. We have a complicit manager, who is nevertheless a survivor, and far smarter than chumps like Bruce, Pochetino, Pearson and all the other nitwits who took time to bum him up before they played us. They will all be gone long before he is, and they will deserve to be.
    We won’t do well. It is not our policy to do well and never will be. But we beat Spurs and Liverpool. If you can’t enjoy beating Spurs and Liverpool, what exactly is it you support?

• geordie157

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:20 PM

When’s good back, I’d rather see good or streete get a chance than have wilo play. Use the season to blood as many youngsters as we can.

• magscar

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Croftus5678
    Club have said about a change in policy at youth level.U21 game showed us there are some good prospects to come bit not all make it. With Abeid out might this give Big I another chance?

Expatmag

I agree about mid table but could do without having to endure a2cnd half of the season like 2013-14 to scrape into that position

• welshgeordie9

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Truth is, if I hadn’t intervened to give you all a few hours peace.

Ha ha ha

If you say so my hero

• expatmag

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:41 PM

Geordie

The press here in Australia wrote a couple of weeks ago that Good was expecting to return to training around now. He was targeting a place in the Australian squad for the Asian Cup to be played here in January

However, there has been no mention of him since and he is not in the current squad to face Japan in a friendly next tuesday.

I would imagine he is a long way off a senior place and if fit, I would expect him to go out on loan again in January.

• Canny in Canberra

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:42 PM

Dear B,

I have enjoyed everyone of our recent wins.

I did slate Pardew and Ashley out of frustration at our run of bad form. I do not apologise for that. I am a fan and as such will have a go at whoever I believe is responsible for us not doing well.
    Others have different opinions as is their right.
    If Pardew is responsible for this turn around then more Power to him, long may it continue
    Unless Ashley is in fact posting on here under a Nome de Plume then we have very little chance of ever knowing what is truly in his head. All we can do is speculate.

• Sav

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Agreed we won’t be in the market for Cabaye – too old and too expensive. As for Grenier, he seems a sick-note. He may be 6′ 1″ but that doesn’t make him automatically suited to EPL.

• welshgeordie9

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:45 PM

According to some reports, both the captain and s Taylor will be out for four weeks.