Why Newcastle Will Never Be Able To Keep Their Best Players

Just as long as Mike Ashley’s number one goal in running Newcastle United is on the money side of things, then Newcastle United will always be vulnerable to losing our best players – always.

yohan cabaye upright psg

Yohan Cabaye – too ambitious for Newcastle

We have lost Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy over the last couple of years, simply because our ambitions in football (make that Mike Ashley’s ambitions in football) do not match those of the players.

When the owner sells our best player in the January transfer window for big money, and doesn’t replace them, then you know – and the players know – that the team is not the number one priority at the club.

And just in case we think that was just a coincidence, Ashley’s  done it twice with Andy Carroll and Yohan Cabaye,  and we struggled in the second half of the season in both cases.

The first case caused José Enrique to make up his mind he wanted out, and he left in August for 2011 for Liverpool, and this year selling Yohan Cabaye meant that Loic Remy would never join Newcastle on a permanent basis, and he’s now at Chelsea.

And you can quickly work out what the number one priority is at Newcastle – money.

To be fair to Mike, he has done a terrific job of managing the finances of the club, and we expect when the financial results are announced early next year for our financial year through June 30th of this year – there will be record profits and record revenues.

The period is from July 1st last year through June 30th – and of course that’s when Joe Kinnear was Director of Football and we signed only Loic Remy and Luuk de Jong on loan – and made no permanent signings – and that means we didn’t spend much in the transfer market.

Yet we got a huge £20M for Yohan Cabaye last January, and with the £79.5M we got from the Premier league in May the profits will be a lot more than the £9.9M we made in the previous financial year – and the revenues we estimate at around £135M.

Not many big clubs can boast those figures, but that’s because they are more willing to spend the money on top players, so they can build top teams that compete in the Champions League every season.

That’s not what Mike Ashley is about – and while his financial management of the club is very good – maybe we really do need a Director of Football who can come in and help Mike spend some of the massive money the Tyneside club will be making over the next few years.

We’ve said before that id the owner would guarantee all profits would be reinvested into the club – we would be in great shape.

But as long as money (and not spending it) is the number one priority at the club, it’s not as easy as just saying we will not sell our best players – because the best players will always want to leave Newcastle to play in the Champions League.

And that was the case with Ba, Cabaye and Debuchy – and you cannot really blame them for that.

All they wanted was to play at the very top of the football ladder, that their talents warrant.

It’s really as simple as that.

Unfortunately. 🙁

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Graeme

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Ed – but Mike Ashley is not here for the Football, or the ambitions of Newcastle United. His ambitions are to gain the maximum exposure for his main company as possible, for the minimum outlay – and he is doing one hell of a job.

As long as we are in the Premier League he will be a very happy man. The fact he can now do this without it actually costing him any personal outlay is the icing on the cake.

• cyprus

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Ed,
    You obviously don’t read my posts! It’s ok, because I don’t always read yours 😉

Ed mate, this player does not play for us any more, get over it!! He threw a tantrum, left at an overblown price he’s gone. Given our current MF, the way they are playing, he’d be a sub here as well!!

You mention him way too much. I give up on your challenge not to mention his name 🙁

If you must mention ex-NUFC stars, write as much as you do about HBA who is after all still our player and ten times better.

• jarnytoon

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:35 PM

As much as I like reading the majority of the posts from this blog I have to say it really gets on my t*ts when we draw all this negativity over what has been a very positive few weeks.

Yes he’s left, will he return? Doubtful. Do I care? Not a jot.

Him, Remy, Enrique, Carroll – they can all jog on (and be bench warmers too I might well point out!)

Now stop being negative and rewriting the same old nonsense when it’s a dry week for news

• g.s.tooner

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I agree with jarnytoon. This is a bit of a non post really. There is no new information, or inside source which substantiates any of the above.

I enjoy the blog and it’s my go to source for NUFC news but posts like this really put a downer on my day. Unnecessary.

• AmericanGeordie

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I’m so tired of hearing that we are a selling club. Almost everyone is a selling club unless your name is Real Madrid. NO ONE in England can hold onto their best players if a deal comes along that is attractive to both club & player.

Everton sold Fellaini.
    Liverpool sold Suarez.
    Tottenham sold Modric & Bale.
    Arsenal sold Van Persie.
    Even Manchester United sold Cristiano Ronaldo!

For the record the Cabaye & Carroll sales were good business, and I would do both of those deals again in a heartbeat.

• Reyantoon

Nov 17, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Rewritten…..

OK! I don’t want to get in to this,but I have to clear up some things:
    I just read BandB’s comments from last night
    First of all,obviously,he got in to something he didn’t belong.As I understand it,he was upset and moaning because he lost in touch with his regular entertainers like Ibizatoon,bills son,etc…
    to debate and express his thoughts.unfotunately,they didn’t hit back.Now,he might find himself alone to chat with, that’s why he was moaning and bubbles yesterday.
    Last night,as I read it,he came from nowhere and disrupted the blog with no point and reason.Instead of supplying peace to the blog
    as Mr T(blog traffic) usually does I suppose,he did terrible job by leading the blog to chaos b/c he came up with no point at all.I am sure OTHERS can read and judge.I suspect he is a biter..I was upset on the “blog trafficker” though as to why he kept quiet on him..WTF!
    Meanwhile, in case if u want to know(BandB),I have no issue with Jail.I was joking when I say Jail likes Pardew(i don’t know how to joke BTW,I’m sure jail knows that).Infact,I don’t care whether he likes him or not,or supports him or not.It’s up to him as a fan.But he makes baiased comments on him & bubbles sometimes .Besides his ideas and approach towards football doesn’t convince me usually,so I pass it mostly because that is his thought and I understand that as a fan.
    I am sure,now,you get the point..
    On welshy, as I see it lately,he is honest fan tries to entertain people with jokes.If u don’t like his posts, just jump it,as most do in here.
    Sometimes when people gets bored talking FB,esp in this blog,nothing is wrong if we entertain with something else personally.
    But u have to remember that,he is straight and honest talker as far as I can tell,as sometimes, u have to look people from inside,not outside!

Good day lads!!

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:02 PM

As long as dopey management, continue to pay megabucks, for average talent like Carroll, then Ashley will continue on his merry way!

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Cabaye, Remy and Ba! All big time charlie’s, until they go somewhere else and warm a bench or two!

• croftus5678

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

afternoon all hope your all ok.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:17 PM

reyantoon – I believe you refer to me as blog traffic /blog trafficker. What does this mean – please tell me quickly I’ll be able to withstand it -whatever it is/means.

Your synopsis about BandB – very interesting – you suggest he this and he that etc etc.
    To be more accurate perhaps you should write she this and/or she that etc etc.

• croftus5678

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:22 PM

imo we will always be a selling club for greedy chops !

not that we cant be a selling club make him a profit and still try to win things though as hard as that may seem !

we will only buy if we sell but in fairness those we have sold have brought a good price and we have replaced them with 2-3 players for the price of 1 outgoing ! yes 1 or 2 of those may be for the future but as we have seen recently sometimes that pays off and you end up with a squad instead of only a first 11 like we used to have.

ofc once our youth is full of potential like its getting to the point now with darlow/lescalles/good/streete/bigi/vukic/arma/campbell/callum/rolando/woodman ect i expect him to pocket even more money from our current players through sales.

we will never be a city/manu/chelsea/arsenal/liverpool who spend to win as money and his pocket will always come first but they also waste money on avg players so we can always sneak a higher place or 2.

• croftus5678

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:39 PM

gignac on a free anyone ?

i cant comment on him really as not seen much of him and when i have seen him play he looked uninterested and lazy.

• martoon

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Reyantoon @6 – No idea what went on last night but 2 things you should realise about BandB – SHE is a top poster on this blog!

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Croftus, you may have found the January striker! As he’s been linked with Newcastle and Arsenal, but Arsenal aren’t interested!

• Reyantoon

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:45 PM

@10
    Don’t dig deep pal !
    All I’m saying is as far as I know,u get to jump and correct people here when they start talking nonsense and enter a place where they didn’t belong and I was curious this time as to why u kept quiet when he disrupted the blog last night?

• Reyantoon

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I don’t think BandB is “she” r u sure @13?

• welshgeordie9

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Reyantoon

Good Evening mate how are you this evening mate.

• BeeGuy

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Once the books are balanced and loans paid back, MA will be motivated to invest and keep the better players. THe better the squad, the more TV coverage he gets. That means more exposure of Sports Direct & shirt sponsor. MA invests in comanies down on hteir heels, which NUFC was about to be. He is turning it around, and will go for silver once his warchest is full. I just hope that is in my lifetime.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:51 PM

reyantoon – it is “she”.

• nightfa11

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM

thats easy.. cos we’re not fighting for top spots & cos we’re not in champions league..

we want to sign players with winning mentality, so of course those players will want to move to clubs which fight for trophies..

its not like we pushed debuchy & cabaye, etc out the door..they wanted to leave..money would play a big part only with mercenaries..& who wants those.. but winners…especially when they are 28, 29 & they only have 3,4 years left at the top level..its no brainer..they will force a move out, cos they want to win sth.. until we are top 4 side on a regular basis (or at least if we spent 50 mio per year on 3 world class players and show ambition), nufc will only be a stepping stone for world class players..

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Tuffety, still the backside of Gaols pantomime horse, I see!

• croftus5678

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM

@17 beeguy

any idea what happened to the 80mil + he’s got from tv rights ect last season or the profit we made as a club after overheads ect rumoured to be around 5mil ?

as far as i know the “loan” hasnt come down as to why i’m asking. (reason for the quote marks is a still cant believe you can loan yourself money ! if the club is worth £1 plus has 50p of debt then a new buyer pays £1.50p ! by saying he has lent himself 50p makes no difference apart from saving himself intrest so even thats in his favour not ours)

• Belfast

Nov 17, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I think Bandb was just pissed off about the ongoing attacks on Jail for Ashley.

She is 100% correct about the looney bins driving regular posters of the blog.

• croftus5678

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM

@14 mag92

thats fine i’d take him on a free “if” he is any good and a true no9 that is strong that will help perez/arma.

only got 2 bad games and youtube clips to go on myself and i’m hoping that wasnt the best of him lol.

• Reyantoon

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Mr T @18…well she has to apologize to me
    b/c she mentioned me with the place I didn’t belong! I’m sure u understand that?

• Mister Tuff

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM

mug92 – another top post from you I see.
    Trying to cause disharmony yet again – and as a consequence driving decent posters off the blog.

• manxpie

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Cough cough jesper cough cough 🙂

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Croftus 48goals in 129 appearances and for France 5 goals in 19!

• Mister Tuff

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:14 PM

mug92 – you need to get yourself round to Tescos supermarket -they are doing an offer – 3 fresh figs for 2 quid.
    You can then apply your fig poultices -hahaha.

• croftus5678

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:15 PM

@27 mag92

thats not too shabby for a freebie cheers m8.

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM

On the contrary tuffety, you had plenty of poison to spit out last night, sticking your large proboscis into others debates, that quite plainly didn’t concern you.

• Belfast

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM

manxpie // Nov 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

It’s not him he’s missing again

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Tuffety, someone really needs to teach you some decent gags!

• optimistic prime

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I was on blog last night but seem to have missed the highlight of the evening when I went out.

I hadn’t even bothered to check what was said after my last post as I was so disinterested in mags answer.

Just had a look at was said and I agree with what was said and BandB nailed it, I’d like to thank her for defending the honour of posters on the blog 😉

I wonder does the 92 represent the number of accounts mags had on the blog?

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Pessimistic 92 is the year Newcastle United formed, not your IQ which probably don’t reach double figures!

• optimistic prime

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Mag

Na, I prefer my explination

• mag92

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Okay pessimistic, keep in touch with yourself!

• Jeff from Benwell

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Mister Tuff BandB optimistic prime and Gaol can all be seen in the foto outside SJP here altho JFA is coverig his face http://www.nufcfans.co.uk/2012/02/it-was-not-about-me-steve-wraith-defends-coffin-protest/

• Tsunki

Nov 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Looks like the lunatics are a step closer to asylum ownership. it’s what keeps me away, banal backbiting and score settling rubbish. At least back in the day the arguments were a cut above the petty schoolyard insult type. The standard of reviling has dropped markedly these days 😉

• Toon-Prodigy

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Yep, this structure goes against any sort of building and ambition.

If we win anything under Ashley’s tenure it’s down to pure luck and I hate this.

Nothing has changed this season apart from a few youngsters deciding to change there form. The gambles remain like the last 7 years.

I hope this form continues but the progress is not down to Ashley. It’s down to the individual form of the youngsters and you bet he will capitalise on it and still not invest our money and build on the quality he has.

Howay the lads, keep it going.