Magpies Keen To Sign Senegal International Midfielder In January

News today out of Norway that Newcastle United are interested in Stephane Badji, who currently plays for SK Brann in the Tippeligaen.

Stephane Badji Olympics+vrfbdX4E0sem

Stephane Badji – playing in the Olympics in 2012

Badji is a central midfielder and he stands at 6″ 3¨ tall, so he is a powerful player and has so far been capped a couple of times by Senegal, and in fact was in the squad for the recent African Cup of Nations qualifying.

He is a versatile midfielder and has played as a defensive central midfielder, attacking midfielder and a right midfielder.

One reason that Newcastle are interested in him is that we have found out that he has a buy-out clause in his contract of only £750K, and as we all know Mike Ashley is always keen on bargains, especially if the player also comes at a low price in the transfer market.

He has not been in the Senegal squad too many times, but he was a regular for the Senegal U23 side who played in the Olympic Games in London in 2012.

If he joins a high-profile club like Newcastle United he could see more opportunities at International level, and that has happened with players like Yohan Cabaye, Mathieu Debuchy and Moussa Sissoko who hadn’t played too often for France when they joined Newcastle, but became France regulars while at Newcastle.

Newcastle haven’t replaced Yohan Cabaye since he left the club almost a year ago for PSG, and Cheick Tiote has been making noises about wanting to leave Newcastle, possible in January – and Arsenal are said to be interested.

Badji could add to Newcastle’s central midfield and he can play as either an attacking or defensive midfield player – so for just £750K he could be a good buy for the club, and his wages will not be huge either.

If Newcastle do sign him, we’ll have to trust in the ability of Chief Scout Graham Carr to pick out those players who can make it in the Premier League, and Graham has a very decent record of doing that since he joined Newcastle in February of 2010.

Badji signed a four year contract with SL Brann on March 1st last year,  and he has so far played 78 times for his Norwegian club.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Badji and Whickham in January!

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Sissoko must be away if Badji is signing!

• Mister Tuff

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Jail – good point about the troll – B&B certainly caught him out last night -with his trousers down -around his ankles.Liars have to be good to keep remembering what they’ve lied about previously and he was well and truly outed.
    Clearly he has no place here, perhaps he could find an audience on the Ladies Wrestling forum.

• LGFUAD21

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM

catchy in norway

Number of things wrong with that comment.

“Facts back it up” what facts are you referring to?

How do you know Pardew didnt consult medical expert?

I notice you have now backtracked on your sympathy vote for Pardew conspiracy. You proliferate nonsense on here day in day out. You lack any diplomacy or consideration in anything you say. It scares me that people with your mental capacity are allowed on the internet let alone allowed to express their views on it.

• Sliema

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Stuff I got wrong this season:

I said we should’ve kept benny. Tbh he’s done nowt so far at Hull and I feel that if we had kept him he would be disrupting what we currently have. Much prefer how Cabella is starting to play.

I said Saylor should never play again. He’s performed very solidly. He’ll be important as the season and injuries progress.

I said Dummett was League 1 standard. Got that COMPLETELY wrong. Jumped to my conclusion simply because I preferred Haidara.

I’m not the only one who said the above. I remember being backed up on these and other points at the time. However I’m happy to say I was wrong!

• HTT

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Madison from the last thread, yea man I think we’ve ll got that worry – can Pardew utilize multiple sets of tactics? I’m doubtful haha

I can’t see us changing the press teams as they get into our half/break with pace style – so I think it’ll be a case of utilizing SDJ within this system – not changing the system for him.

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Tuffety you constantly confirm that your the backside of Gaols pantomime horse! For a grown man your a pathetic excuse constantly looking for approval of comb over!

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Look gaol, I’ve called him a troll did I do good, pathetic pal!

• LGFUAD21

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Sliema

He was non existent for Hull against Spur.

Elmohammody was doing his job and Ben Arfa’s.

There were times where players would dribble right passed him and ignore him.

We are not missing out on anything.

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM

The worrying thing is your wandering around the streets!

• LGFUAD21

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Sliem

I too said the same thing about Dummet.

I used to scream everytime he got caught short at LB.

Shows patience can pay off with those players still learning their trade.

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM

tuffers

thats a bit harsh the only friends he has are on here although he doesnt treat them very well possibly why he socialises so much online he is awkward in the real world
    btw re ladies wrestling dont tell me you never enjoyed watching topless women wrestling in mud during your sojourn to the new world

• HTT

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Sliema@5 can you imagine if someone had said Willo and Dummett would make a good CB pairing for us at the beginning of the season? They’d have been committed haha

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Wolfshead another oddball from Gateshead!

• Vagabond of the Western World

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Badji has a buy out clause of £750k?

I would say that it’s a given this lad will sign then.

Stands to reason we will be in there for a bragain. Probably to replace Tiote who they’ll sell for £8m.

I’m all for a big powerhouse in the middle of the park, and if he can fill a number a positions then great.

Having said that it will be interesting to see if he can make the grade. Having not played for Senegal for 2 years doesnt fill me with confidence.

Still though, at £750K it’s worth a punt.

• Nikolai

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I have never seen him play but at that price if true, I would doubt it be a bad move. Although I would be against selling any player but Tiote. He is my personal favorite but from what I have seen from Abeid over the past year including his last loan spell at Panathinaikos, I would say that I trust Abeid and even hopefully Bigirimana. If tiote leaves, then a CB would be IDEAL. Given our position in the table when the january window comes around… If we are high up in the table, maybe we could attract a big name.. Verthongen? Schar?

• wolfshead@toon

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:42 PM

mag92

mwaaah pmsl

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:43 PM

@15 who will they sell Tiote to for 8 million?

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:44 PM

@17 I thought you might!

• Vagabond of the Western World

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:52 PM

@mag92

I would imagine there would be a fair few interested clubs at home and abroad for Tiote if the price was £8m.

He has a fierce repuation in the league and was almost sold to CSKA Moscow (i think) in previous windows.

I know he’s been often linked with Arsenal too.

However, not at any point did I say that this would definitely occur. I just said that i would imagine that signing a midfielder would spell the end of Tiote, and i guessed that the price would be about £8m.

• Mister Tuff

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM

wolf – what is the practice/sport you speak of – mud wrestling -seems a tad silly.

Hadn’t realised that you had moved to Gateshead – as I recall you live at the coast -Whitley Bay/Tynemouth area.

• Mickalonius

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM

If there is some strengthening in January and our injuries clear up, this could be an interesting season. We are full of confidence and have momentum which is a huge plus. Some of the kids are getting the message, it’s time to deliver. We have the potential to have a very good season particularly with other teams misfiring.

• mag92

Nov 25, 2014 at 3:58 PM

21, your boot licking knows no bounds!

• WLtoon

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:06 PM

@18
    Arsenal are interested and need a ball winner like Tiote,i think he will go in Jan whoever signs him.
    i like Tiote but our form has been great with him out of the team so i think we can do without him.
    Sissoko however would be a much bigger loss as he is so important,when he plays well,we play well and usually get results.
    I hope we can hang on to him as i dont think De Jong would be half as effective in that position,and lets face it,as he is working his way back to fitness,he will be vying for that position..
    Pardew is going go have a major headache when everyone is fit,i just hope he does,nt revert back to his negative tactics once he has the options at his disposal.

• HamarMagpie

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM

First, this player has no release clause in his contract what so ever. Why? Because release clauses are not legal for players contracted to Norwegian clubs, according to the Norwegian Football Federation laws. According to norwegian media this is a rumour spread in England by “cocaine” agent Willy McKay. Who happens to not even representing the player. Release clause or not, Brann is facing relegation in Norway (awaiting last play off-match) and will probably gladly part with this player for that amount of cash. Seen him play, I doubt that he is good enough.

• HamarMagpie

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Add to that: In the first (of two) play off matches he was so poor he got subbed at half time…..

• toonicle

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Sounds like a Tiote replacement to me. Tiote out for 10+ mil, this fellow in for less than 1mil? No problem at all for me. Use the money for a new CB

• lesh

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Badji’ll surely be known as Onion or Cauli(flower)if he signs?

• lesh

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM

HamarMagpie, you’d best consult our very own Oracle about matters Norwegian rules on buy-out clauses.

Catchy knows everything there is to know and will give you an unbiased, objective opinion – that’s if his sedatives have worn off by now!

• jOa80

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Eeeeh, this must be a joke. This player is currently playing for SK Brann. The team is now playing in the relegation quals. for staying the Premier Division in Norway.

A central midfielder with bad touch and passing quality. He is not good enough for the top division in Norway, how could he replace Tiote??

Abeid has shown that he has PL standard, and Broccoli in the youth-team will be great

• la.jim

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Get him in ,it’s going to be a long hard season and we need someone like this guy on the bench who can fill in for all the injuries we seem to get during the winter,why not he’s big and strong and the price is right.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM

This is another player who will be missing every time ACON
    comes around !

Never heard of him and i hope they don.t sign him, even if he is Cheap !

No thanks, keep Tiote !

• TheIndianToon

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:51 AM

Indykaila on Twitter said we and Spurs are watching Mauro Icardi from Inter. Now that would be something..

• tkvicksson

Nov 26, 2014 at 1:52 PM

He have a buy out clause around 600 and played for Senegal last week.

• tommiH

Nov 26, 2014 at 2:52 PM

As a norwegian. He’s not Good enough. Powerfull deffence player.