Pardew – We Are Looking At A Lot Of Players For January

Alan Pardew has said that he has not had any meetings yet about the January transfer window, but of course Alan’s prime responsibility is getting the very best out of the players he has – and December is always a very busy month for any manager.

We can safely say the Newcastle manager has been getting the best out of his players over the last couple of months or so.

lee charnley and mike ashley

Lee Charnley and Mike Ashley – responsibilities on transfer targets

The main responsibility at the club for signing players is Lee Charnley the Managing Director, and Graham Carr and his scouting team are responsible for getting some potential targets lined up.

And of course owner Mike Ashley has the last say on anything to do with the club – especially where the finances are concerned.

Here is an update Alan Pardew have on Friday about the January transfer window:

“I have not had any meetings about January, we are just watching the market. I think it would be unfair on the players.”

“The media are starting to pick up on the transfer window coming up. But we have a lot of games and managers will focus on them and let staff sort through transfers, and get down to realistic numbers in the market.”

“We are looking at a lot of players at the moment. Lots of areas we feel might strengthen us.” “I don’t want to go on any negative. There are not many days when I can sit here with six wins behind me, so no negatives!”

“I will leave that and say the team are confident. I can see that through to the Academy, who are top of the league. There is real confidence on the training ground.”

In fact our U21 side are top of their U21 Premier League, and the Youth side are top of their league – and the first team are currently 5th top in the Premier League, so everything at Newcastle is going very well at the moment.

But all top teams always try to bring in new players to improve their squads, and we really hope that Mike Ashley does that in January – maybe a couple of very good players – with one of them being a good striker.

What do you think?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• NUFCJackW

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Oh, the joys of killing the blog… 🙁

• expatmag

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Beermonkey

From a couple of threads back.

Mate, I disagree that our current major assets are british. It is too early for the youngsters.

Our most saleable assets at present are Sissoko Tiote and Krul. If we sold the 3 of them, we would get circa 50 million quid and as Ashley already has ready made replacements for next season in Darlow and Abeid, you just know he will cash in.

Add another 5 million for Mbiwa already replaced by Lascelles and he is coining it in

• lesh

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:54 PM

NUFC, don’t worry man, the blog’s having a late siesta – things’ll kick off when contributors sober up!

As for Ed’s headline, when I read it, my first reaction was ‘haven’t we heard those words for pretty well every transfer window since Pardew’s been here?’

Or am I being cynical?

• lesh

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM

NUFC – There, you see? Didn’t I say that things’ll kick off when contributors sober up!’?

G’day Expat!

😉

• lesh

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:02 AM

I see NUFCJackW’s gawn.

• beermonkey

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:06 AM

expat

u not wrong, our potential assets are mainly british
    the one you mention are actual assets

tiote will go in an if there are takers but might find them limited due to acon so might go in the summer

unless super cash comes in I think we will keep sissoko for another season

krul I dunno he is one of the only ones that doesn’t appear to have made any noises about leaving
    is he a top team player

I don’t mind the sales its not having replacement’s that’s the problem

• Dulcinera

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Previous Thread

Nufcjack

Why do you, like so many other people on here regard Riviere as a player who we have got to get rid of so early? I don’t understand this.
    He has rarely played, for reasons nobody seems to be sure of yet, yet still after only 3 months he is regarded as waste. Considering he has played up front on his own with noone to compliment his strenghts or shoulder the burden. This is a bit harsh. Give the man some time to show his worth.

What is even more strange is that people sumhow include De jong in our strongest starting line up even though he has featured less than riviere and, quite frankly to be honest, in the 2 or 3 games he played for us in the PL has shown nothing special. He might of been a key element at Ajax but that means nothing really. a lot of players have shone for Ajax and flopped in other leagues.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:19 AM

Thanks for the messages lads, we’ve decided on a name and it’s not Mike or welsh.
    G2,
    Great article you posted from the telegraph, the type of article I would write if I was an articulate journalist instead of a semi literate Electrician.
    On transfers,
    I said this the other day, I’d like nothing better to see Mashers part with OUR cash but I don’t think we have to do much this time round because of the way these young players have stepped up and seemingly made the grade, I would very much like to keep Tiote at least until the end of the season and I’d really like to see the back of our fist pumping CB and his brains in a boot, as much as I have liked our Grenwich born Geordie and his love of the club since his days as England U21 captain and future star, his injury record has become simply unreliable and somebody who could come in and stake a regular place would be a great boost for our previously dodgy defence.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Dulcerina,
    Because he looks as likely to score as LDJ, I think the goal at Palace was his only shot on target.

• Menelauos

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I would only be willing to lose Tiote if an offer in the £15-20 area came in for him. It would fund a lot of decent transfers.

• Dulcinera

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Jail

So what? I’ll admit, riviere hasn’t filled me with much hope from what i’ve seen of him so far but history shows foriegn imports should not be written off after only 3 months in the PL.There is time. Numerous examples of players underachieving in their first few months, perhaps even first year, and then turning it around and becoming world beaters are well documented. It took Gareth Bale YEARS at spurs to prove this

How can you explain people raving over De jong being a key element in our team without having barely played for us and looking underwhelming when has he has graced the pitch?

• Dulcinera

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Jail

By the way i was reading comments from posts from a week or so ago and you said you reminded me of someone called TDSURF or something. I don’t know who that is but you said something along the lines of ” i don’t know how people can be so content to call the toon a imid table club and be happy with that”

I am not content with my team to happily finish “mid table”…. far from it. I want my team to be challenging for top honours like any fan who supports their club. Unlike most people on this blog i am realistic of the clubs current standing. Our league positions in the last 4 years of 12th, 16th and 10th (barring the season we finnshed 5th) confirms we are indeed a mid table club. I’m not happy to accept that. It’s merely fact

• expatmag

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:39 AM

JFA

The name? It’s Expat. Isnt it?

I knew you wouldnt be able to resist……lol

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Dulcerina,
    There really are mid table clubs top of the league clubs and perennial yo yo clubs, we are probably in the same table as Everton, Spurs and Villa in terms of overall success and stature and all of those teams should be competing for the top six every year, just because Mike Ashley is trying to turn us in to Stoke or WBA it doesn’t mean we are.
    Btw,
    It was TDSarf, a former star and winner of the BBC show ‘The apprentice’, leader of the Young Conservatives and a campaigner for the abolition of Northern rights that you reminded me of.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:51 AM

expat,
    We’ve called him Shearer Keegan Bobby in no particular order.

• 70TWO

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:57 AM

UEFA Competition Regulations
    Article 3
    Integrity of the competition
    3.01 To ensure the integrity of the UEFA club competitions, the following criteria
    apply:
    a) no club participating in a UEFA club competition may, either directly or
    indirectly:
    i) hold or deal in the securities or shares of any other club participating in
    a UEFA club competition,
    ii) be a member of any other club participating in a UEFA club
    competition,
    iii) be involved in any capacity whatsoever in the management,
    administration and/or sporting performance of any other club
    participating in a UEFA club competition, or
    iv) have any power whatsoever in the management, administration and/or
    sporting performance of any other club participating in a UEFA club
    competition;
    b) no one may simultaneously be involved, either directly or indirectly, in any
    capacity whatsoever in the management, administration and/or sporting
    performance of more than one club participating in a UEFA club
    competition;
    c) no individual or legal entity may have control or influence over more than
    one club participating in a UEFA club competition, such control or
    influence being defined in this context as:
    i) holding a majority of the shareholders’ voting rights;
    ii) having the right to appoint or remove a majority of the members of the
    administrative, management or supervisory body of the club;
    iii) being a shareholder and alone controlling a majority of the
    shareholders’ voting rights pursuant to an agreement entered into with
    other shareholders of the club; or
    iv) being able to exercise by any means a decisive influence in the
    decision-making of the club.
    3.02 If two or more clubs fail to meet the criteria aimed at ensuring the integrity of
    the competition, only one of them may be admitted to a UEFA club
    competition, in accordance with the following criteria (applicable in descending
    order):
    a) the club which qualifies on sporting merit for the more prestigious UEFA
    club competition (i.e., in descending order: UEFA Champions League and
    UEFA Europa League);
    b) the club which has the highest priority access by virtue of its performance
    in its top domestic league championship and as indicated in the 2012/13
    access list (Annex Ia);
    c) the club which has the best club coefficient ranking as established in
    accordance with paragraph 9.02.
    Clubs that are not admitted are replaced in accordance with paragraph 2.11.

• HTT

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Dulcinera SDJ is one of the vice captains, Pardew said when he bought him that he was going to be a hugely important part of the team.

I don’t think anyone on here has been raving about him, some certainly think he could be a good player for us but personally I haven’t seen enough of him – bar that cracking game vs man city last season.

I think people mention him more because they think Pardew will play him when he’s fit, or that’s my excuse anyways haha

• 70TWO

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:02 AM

I think it is quite clear from 3.01 c) iv) being able to exercise by any means a decisive influence in the
    decision-making of the club.

That it applies to Mike Ashley.

The Telegraph statement about the ruling is correct even if UEFA have not released a specific statement about NUFC.

• Dulcinera

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:05 AM

Jail

What is your proof of Mike Ahley trying to turn us into a Stoke city? We’ve signed Cabaye, Remy, Debuchy, Ba, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Janmatt, Cisse, Perez

Compared to what at Stoke or Wba?

• expatmag

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:15 AM

Dulc

and from that lust of players how many are still at the club (other than the players signed this season) and why did they leave?

• Dulcinera

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:15 AM

HTT

Just because he is vice captain means absolutely nothing other than Pardew thinks he has leadership qualities. He certainly hasn’t earned it due to his quality or effort for the team as he hasn’t kicked a ball yet.

As far as aaynone not raving about De Jong. That’s just not true. Look at Nufcjacks prediction for our stongest line up in the last thread or for that matter , a lot of people saying de long is our key number 10. Even though he hasnt kicked a ball for the toon yet

• 70TWO

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:16 AM

Who the heck at NUFC releases a club statement in the middle of the night prior to a match?

Whoever it is claims The Telegraph have printed a ” factually inaccurate report ” along side the title of the UEFA ruling that proves that it is correct. Apparently attempting to prove that the newspaper has deliberately lied because UEFA have ” not made a specific statement on clubs “.

Imbecile.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Dulcerina,
    More than half of those players you’ve listed have been sold and the others joined knowing they’ll be sold.

• Dulcinera

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM

Expat

They left because they signed for teams who are far mor desirable than a mid table team, and who stood a better chance of winngin trophies than the toon

Cabaye – PSG
    BA – CHELSEA
    Debuchy – Arsenal
    Remy- Chelsea

The only real exception is Ben Arfa and I think the deciison to loan him to Hull has been more than justified as he has been gash for Hull so far

• Mister Tuff

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM

70two -agree with your reading of the “Telegraph” article. I note that the official statement does not deny that the consensus of the article was right.
    It seems to suggest that the lie is that UEFA actually named NUFC and Rangers.
    It is not beyond imagination that UEFA did not name anyone but commented on the cirumstances of both clubs and the paper subsequently inserted the names.
    Which to me seems reasonable enough. The club statement -the highlighted part is very short and is obviously an extract from a longer document. Would be nice to view that – job for the fans forum.
    The last time the Toon moved this fast was denying we had 60 million to spend

• HTT

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:33 AM

Dulcinera@22

I guess some folks are just optimistic regarding SDJ, you’re correct that this could well be misplaced optimism.

That being said to quote Pardew regarding making Tiote and SDJ vice captains “[this gives] us three players from different areas of the pitch to take that bit of extra responsibility”

To me that suggests Pardew wants all 3 playing but I’ll guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

• Shadow_Shearer

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:48 AM

My starting line up prediction. I read earlier krul is a doubt. Not sure about coloccini, but I’d predict Pardew to pick him over willo if available.

Elliot
    Janmaat willo dummet Haidara
    Tioti sissoko colback
    Cabella perez sammy

Goufran
    Riviere
    Cisse on bench

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:51 AM

Dulcerina,
    You could point to Leighton Baines who has stayed at Everton who has been offered the right incentive to stay, one of those incentives aside from cash would have been being told how important he was to the clubs future success not taking him to one side and telling him it would be better for his ‘own interests’if he signed for LokoMotiv Moscow if the offer was right.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Just cleaned up the bairns first shite, it was black so it was half right.

• Dulcinera

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:04 AM

Jail

But he’s an englishman, there’s a difference to an englishman knowing the difference between loyalties and a foriegner who has no concern really over who his heart belongs to.

Personally, i am diehard toon fan but if I was a pofessional and had the choice of playing out a 10 year career between my lifelong team who were midtable or a career of celebrated, trophy laden success. I know what i would choose and don’t you tell me otherwise, you would also!!!

We’ve come a Long way since the Alan Shearer days of choosing his boyhood team over successful rivals.

• Dulcinera

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:08 AM

It’s with great sadness i say that by the way!

But that is the modern footballer for you. Look at Rooney. one a blue. always a red.

Sentiment counts for nothing. Todays modern footballer = pure greed

• MacToon

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:35 AM

Can only agree with 72 & Mr T’s interpretation of events and after rereading through the telegraph’s article again, I cannot see anything but an interpretation of Article 3.
    Nice of the club to point that out to us though.

Although the Telegraph are making no friends at SJP I’d suggest our local rag are showing signs of making up. It’s only right the chrony should be reporting from the heart of the club, hopefully this will happen soon and fingers crossed, with integrity intact. Not asking for much I know.

• Tinman

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:10 AM

When we get our full team back we will really have some selection headaches! I think it would make absolutely no sense for us to change formation like a lot of people have suggested. The 4-3-3 we are currently playing is very similar, in fact almost identical to that in the season which got us so close to the Champions League football we all crave. Therefore I would pick something like this:
    Krul
    Janmaat, Willo, Collo, Haidara
    Tiote, Sissoko, De Jong
    Obertan, Perez, Aarons

It is exceptionally difficult. The only players I see as nailed on are Krul, Janmaat, Willo (can’t believe I said that), Sissoko. I think all other 7 can be argued against.

I would love to keep Tiote. But with our current policy it makes absolute sense to sell him now. Next season he will be worth much less, he is getting on and psycologically, seeing his age in the thirties will make a huge difference to potential buyers. He can still get us 10-15m which in my opinion will be better spent elsewhere. We have Abeid and Colback who can both cover the position nicely.

• SA Toon

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I see Rivière has been coming in for some stick. I for one am not prepared to write him off just yet. During pre-season he scored some good goals (OK – so it wasn’t against top opposition) and when he was starting as a lone striker up front the team wasn’t playing well as a unit. I wouldn’t mind seeing him get a chance with Perez or Cisse up front. In his last few cameos I thought he held the ball up quite well and look solid. Anyway, looking forward to the game this afternoon. It’s being televised live on Supersport 7 for anyone who is interested. HTL

• sing in the corner

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:07 AM

yes i too think that Riviere is being judged too early by some. His injury coincided with our up turn in form, I think he looked quick, getting harder to knock off the ball and critically was getting into good positions if not banging in goals straight away. Mind, Perez is ahead of him now, no doubt, Riviere has promise though, he’ll get his chance I’m sure

• sing in the corner

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Jail

any sign of our dodgy green away colours in the nappy this morning?

• Sliema

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Riviere needs game time. I think he’ll get it in this tough run. And I hope he’ll do well too, I think he’s decent.

• expatmag

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:04 AM

Nothing worse than a shitty green nappy. Reminds me of the third strip a few years ago

• Mag52

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Jail.

Just woke up. Read about the first shite. Congrats. I’m sure you coped well.
    You’ll get a bit of practice over the next few years anyhow.

Dulcinera.
    The advent of agents onto the football scene has certainly not helped the loyalty issue.