Pardew’s Surpise – Newcastle Strong And Consistent

Alan Pardew has been telling the truth today in the Mirror, and he admits he has been surprised by Newcastle’s turnaround since we were beaten 1-0 at Stoke on 28th September.

We are unbeaten in our last seven games, having won the last six and kept 5 clean sheets, only conceded at Swansea and Tottenham – unbelievable.

Alan Pardew home to QPR

Alan Pardew on the touchline last Saturday against QPR

This is what Alan has said in the Mirror today:

“It has surprised me, and some of the football we have played has been very consistent. But we look strong defensively and are a threat at almost any moment in the game.”

“We want this to continue, but Upton Park is a tough place to go. There will be a tremendous atmosphere. They are only a point below us and on a great run themselves.”

“They probably brought in the best transfers of any team in the summer, and those signings have taken the team forward.”

And if Newcastle beat West Ham today, it will be the longest winning streak in Alan Pardew’s tenure at Newcastle, with six league games in a row being Alan’s record that we achieved back in 2012 when we finished 5th top.

It seems that the result today could depend a lot on how goalkeeper Rob Elliot plays, if Tim cannot make the game because of an ankle injury.

In the past Rob has done very well in the first team, including an excellent performance in the 2-0 win at Manchester City in the Capital One Cup in October.

Newcastle will find out today just how strong our squad is in depth.

We are obviously hoping for another win, and if we can do that and Manchester United don;t beat Hull at home we would be 4th top of the league!

How Will Newcastle Fare At West Ham?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Some people slate Elliot but to be fair you could do a lot worse than a back up keeper who may well play in the Euros in a year and a half’s time.

• dazzler

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Back a draw tokay. Don’t see an entertaining game coming.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:08 AM

So the club have issued a statement about the Telegraph reporting inaccuracies while skirting the issue of what will happen if we both qualify for Europe, basically someone guilty as sin trying to get off on a technicality.

• NUFCJackW

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Dulcinera

I have just woken up so that is why this reply is so late. Anyhow, why do you have to jump to the conclusion that I think that we should sell Riviere ? Its common sense that he needs time to develop and I am certainly not writing him off. Yes, he has only played the lone striker role and I was one of a few people to back him up… I like Riviere because I know he could be great in this league because he is still fairly young at 24 ( I believe ) and has the physicality and work rate.

I included Riviere in the team sheet which I thought looked best on paper.

I think you’ll find that he was in the reserves with a few others on my team sheet which was named: Best this season so far. Yes, I shouldnt have included De jong so maybe there was space on the bench for Riviere but still my point was that with all of our fringe and young players performing well there is a lot of squad depth. Sorry if it came across as if I dislike Riviere because I dont and I too believe he deserves more of a chance.

On De jong…. Sorry for the long post by the way if you’ve even made it this far…I think he is a terrific player, I watched him at Ajax and he was awesome, a natural leader. When he played for us he wasnt 100%, fit and he still needed to adapt to the league and our style of play… Like Riviere who was placed straight in at the deep end leaving him stranded and giving him no chance to adapt to this league. De jong is a bigger name then Riviere, hence why he was in my team.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:23 AM

”Alan Pardew has been telling the truth today”
    That alone could be a sensational headline.

• Jail for Ashley

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Life’s not too bad at all got a pass out for the match between three and five 🙂

• beermonkey

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM

jail

nice home about 9 worse for wear after all you have to wet the babies head

• nightfa11

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:00 AM

i dont want to be negative, but which great manager (a winner) would say: our good form surprised me

• Reyantoon

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I think we can win today. We have good momentum and spirit now,no matter who will get to play.Out of our most 3 key players,Colo,colback and socks,two of them are certain to play.And we have good record at Upton park recently, so we can do it.
    I go for 1-0 win to us..
    Hwtl!

• clinath@ed

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Congratulation Jail, on your new little “spark”. Hope you and mrs For Ashley are well.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:21 AM

backed us to draw and beat man city small bet,lpool big bet at 11/4 – west brom average bet ,and qpr only double unfortunately bris city lost , today i am just going to watch it as too hard to predict and odds too small and would rather use the money to put on v spurs at 100/30.

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:29 AM

watched a couple of europa league games this week.our former near signing douglas for dynamo moscow was poor andlooked worst defender on pitch alleged targets vainquer was average but valbuena excellent. soranio looked good against celtic all imo.

• Shadow_Shearer

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM

My starting line up prediction. I read earlier krul is a doubt. Not sure about coloccini, but I’d predict Pardew to pick him over willo if available.

Elliot
    Janmaat willo dummet Haidara
    Tioti sissoko colback
    Cabella perez sammy

Goufran
    Riviere
    Cisse on bench

• Reyantoon

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha !
    Looks like those negatives and pessimists
    will SING his name today..
    Can’t wait for that..
    Wuha ha ha ha ha ha ha…

• santonthenewmaldini

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I hope today we properly press them for the ball before they get in our half because if Carroll is up front all it takes is a simple hoof for him to score

Elliot could be a plus for us because his distribution is miles ahead of Kruls which we need quick throws to catch them out today

I think we will win 1 nil but it will be nail biting

• Sliema

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Reyan

4 years of nothing to sing about? I don’t blame them. But I have a feeling they sing for the club, not AP.

• Reyantoon

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Sliema
    Your first sentence- Agree
    Second sentence– Don’t agree

• optimistic prime

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Liverpool expected to drop Mingolet today, that’s a £100million bid for Krull in Jan coming in 😉

• Reyantoon

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Alan shearer is a guest pundit today for our match.He said he is surprised how AP and Co change things around.They achieved very difficult thing to do in this league..
    Finally said,I think they will finish 12 or 13..
    WTF is he talking about ??

• jimmysmith

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM

He must be assuming we’ll be selling Sissoko in January.

• santonthenewmaldini

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM

@Reyantoon

Shearer probably thinks that we will sell Tiote and Sissoko which would cause us to hit relegation form for about 10 games after it so 12th or 13th is a fair shout

• mindshaft

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Cheers to everyone for the kodi advice.
    Got it installed along with the plugins
    Sportsdevil seems to be broken with some unmet dependencies but p2p and acestream works a great on my Mac

Tough game today but a good opportunity for 3 points if we can keep downing and their front line under control – bring it on

• Reyantoon

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Shearer is my all time hero and my all time best striker in EPL,but I don’t like his comments,usually on Newcastle utd!
    Santon/Jimmy
    Most likely,but I don’t think sissoko will leave in Jan unless there is ridiculous offer on the table.The most likely player that may leave will be Tiote,w/h personally don’t bother..

• cyprus

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM

“Alan Pardew has been telling the truth today in the Mirror…”

What? no way 😉

• LGFUAD21

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Reyantoon
    November 29, 2014

Shearer is one of the greatest strikers ever but he also seems to know little about football other than how to put the ball away.

• LGFUAD21

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:28 PM

To add to that. I don’t think he’s far off with his prediction I just meant generally.

I don’t think we’ll sell anyone in January.

We may be a selling club but we have generally got good value for players from top teams and this season we are less reliant on one player so I don’t see anyone standing out to other teams for a top bid.

Socks has been awesome but not awesome enough to attract a top bid.

I don’t think tiote will leave. I refuse to get caught up in this witch hunt over a photo that was released ages ago resurfacing.

Personally I wouldn’t want tiote to leave. I don’t think abeid is a like for like replacement and on his day if match fit he still bosses that midfield.

When he returns to full fitness I think he’ll only strengthen us.

On another note. I think ayew would be a great signing but if that happens we absolutely must secure a loan deal for at least one of the youngsters he will likely oust. It’s vital they keep developing and we have a real opportunity to secure a good loan opportunity for them after their showcases this season.

I’d also give sammy a one year extension just to give him the opportunity to go on loan and then be assessed in pre season if we sign another winger.

• LGFUAD21

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Jail for Ashley
    November 29, 2014

I was very sceptical about Elliot when we signed him but I thinks he’s always given a decent account of himself when he’s played so I’m never hugely concerned when he comes in.

He’s not as good a shot stopper as krul but his distribution is miles ahead.

• LGFUAD21

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:32 PM

NUFCJackW
    November 29, 2014

Sorry to be spamming this thread today.

I think a lot of people speculate on de jong here that haven’t actually seen him play.

When he partnered eriksen in that Ajax midfield they were immense playing off each other.

• santonthenewmaldini

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM

I dont think Sissoko will leave this season possibly next year but he has to start scoring 10 goals plus for us before we get the figure because he is still a raw player

Tiote is a weird one I think he is totally overrated by a lot of Toon fans and I think we may want a lot more money than what he is worth which could mean he will stay but could be unsettled and eventually that can cause problems in the club

Ideally we keep them and buy a proper striker who is good in the air and a proper right winger who can cross what a difference that would make !

• Reyantoon

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:44 PM

LGFUAD @25…exactly mate,good to know at least someone agree with u on this blog..

• Mister Tuff

Nov 29, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Sissoko not attracting a top bid???.
    Thought it was the close season. We would not necessarily hear about any bids any way.
    Hope King Percy can exercise some restraint and not chop and change the team around today -especially just to accomodate senior players. I think that Willo has to start to counter AC -who may murder us in the air.
    That said I’m going for a 1 -0 win.
    Have to say if we go behind it will be interesting to see what out tactics are then.

• bills-son

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Can’t believe the number of fans who say we should sell Tiote if a decent bid comes in because we have other players who can do his job – like who?

Sissoko isn’t defensive midfielder, Colback is a great grafter but he has no physical presence and Abeid is still a young lad learning the game albeit that he looks to be learning fast.

Tiote is out on his own as a Toon player who can mix it with the best physical midfielders in the Prem and he would always be one of the first on my team sheet especially since he has cut out most of the stupid tackles and bookings. Tiote, Sissoko and Colback are a CM partnership that could get us into the top 6.

I’m looking for a big game from Sammi today. He is growing in confidence with every game and he has shown some exceptional footwork and real strength on the ball. I feel a blinder coming up soon from the lad.

• Mag52

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Can’t for the life of me understand why some of you on here don’t believe Pardew was talking the truth when he said he has been surprised in the turnaround in our fortunes in recent weeks.
    How many, in all seriousness, could have predicted a run of six wins after our start to the season ?

• lesh

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Mag52

Surely you must’ve worked out that some of our fellow posters regard Pardew as being part of the Cockney mafia and as such, speaks no truth!

He can’t win, no matter what he says or does!