Flukey Goal Beat Us – Top Youngster Could Return At Burnley

Whenever goalkeeper Rob Elliot’s come in for Tim Krul,  he’s played well for the Newcastle first team, and he had a decent game at West Ham on Saturday and was beaten with what Rob has today described as a flukey goal.

rob elliot west ham

Rob Elliot in action at Upton Park on Saturday

The Newcastle manager has confidence in the 28 year-old Newcastle back-up goalkeeper:

“Rob’s come in with a super performance.” “That’s what you have to do in the Premier League.” “Especially this month.”

“Four or five bookings is creeping up on the teams.” “We lost two (Sissoko and Colback) at West Ham.”

“We go on again on Tuesday.” “It’s a quick turnaround but a chance for us to start a new run.” “Hopefully we can because the last one was magnificent.”

This is a good opportunity for Rob to show he can be a regular Premier League goalkeeper, and it could be that he seeks pastures anew next summer, because he’s good enough to be a first team goalkeeper at a number of PL clubs.

Newcastle will have 24 year-old goalkeeper Karl Darrow of Nottingham Forest coming into the first team squad next summer, so it remains to be seen who will be the back-up to Tim Krul next season.

And Rob thought he was beaten by a bit of a fluke on Saturday – the first goal we have conceded in five games:

“It was flukey goal, a mis-hit shot that fell perfectly for him.” “Other than that I think it looked like a 0-0.” “It was a bit of fortune for them and the ball ended up at their player’s feet.”

Rob has made 24 appearances for the Newcastle first team since arriving over three years ago from Charlton Athletic.

One player who could return for us tomorrow night at Burnley is Rolando Aarons, but Pardew will need to ensure the 18 year-old is fully recovered from his hamstring injury.

That’s because it’s been bothering him since early September when he first picked up the injury, and he seemed to come back too soon at Manchester City.

If the hamstring is fully repaired, Rolando could turn out to be one of our best players this season – if he continues the form he has shown when he’s been in the first team.

Aarons has five appearances and two goals for Newcastle this season.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• cyprus

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Will you take 3 points in the next 2 games?
    I’ll take them. I want 4 🙂

• beermonkey

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Cyprus

3 is the minimum

• expatmag

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM

With our current injury crisis, we would be foolish to expect 3 points at Burnley as a foregone conclusion.

• Average_Contents

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Chris

Colback and sissoko are banned, Abeid’s looking unlikely. Tiote, Anita and bigi lack match fitness so the centre mid position is slim pickings at the moment.

If janmaat doesn’t make it and our formation stays the same I wouldn’t be surprised to see this team.

—————-Elliot—————

STaylor-willo-colo-dummett

—–—–Tiote——Anita—–—-

—Goofy—-cabella—-Sammy–

——-———-Perez—————-

If not Perez then cisse and hopefully cabella if he plays, behind the striker as a link between midfield and up top.

I’d prefer not to use 4-2-3-1 as it’s way to rigid a formation for us. 4-3-3 with dummett replacing colo (been out injured too long to just waltz back in) and hadaira replacing dummett at LB.

Anita-Tiote-Cabella

Perez-Cisse-Sammy

I think Perez would work well either side of cisse. Obviously this could be easily changed to 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 if needs must.

Sammy-Anita-Tiote-Cabella

————–Perez——–—-

————–Cisse——–—-

I’m hoping we attack from the off and have a good go at them. Think it’ll be a lot like the west ham game in all honesty. Very close with a single goal deciding it.

• Phatoon

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Average,

He’ll play Dummett RB and Haidara LB

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Team against Burnley:
    ————-Cisse — Perez
    Sammy — Tiote — Anita — Cabella
    Haidarra – Collo – Willo – Dummett
    —————— Elliot
    Two holding midfielders and the the front four interchanging.

• Average_Contents

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Phatoon

I hope not. I’d much rather staylor play their with him being right footed n all. Even Anita but if he departed to RB we’d be lacking cm with colback, sissoko supsended and Abeid a doubt. That’s why I prefer staylor. At least with Santon injured the king can’t put him in cm. Like at Chelsea when he said he played well when infact he looked lost. I’ve a feeling goofy will be deployed their. Hope not. He’s an attacker.

On aarons. As much as I’d like him to play I don’t think after having 2 injuries so close to one another that he’d be physically ready for the battle, if he is available, maybe as a,sub for the last 15-20 to ease him in. Not like last time he was injured for 4 weeks then started at city, then brought on after obertron got injured against Liverpool. Far too much that was but in the king’s infinite wisdom he went against medical advice and played him anyway.

Look what happened then. Out for 4-5 weeks….again.

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Could probably do with resting Perez so possibly play Gouffran on the right wing and either Cabella or Riviere (remember him?) up front. We really need an orthodox right winger; when is Santon going to be finished his three times a day training routine and actually earn his wages?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Average
    interesting team selections
    question – do you think the africans – Cisse and Tiote have their hearts still in the TOON and want to be away, I wonder.
    I know Pardew won’t do it – I might of dropped them and gone with:
    Elliott
    Dummett, Taylor, Williamson, Hiadara,
    Colocini – defensive midfield Anita, Cabella, Ameobi,
    Perez and Armstrong up front

Crazy but I might have a go at them with two up front

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I would definitely like to see two up front and the end of the negative goal difference.

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Pardew should be in his element, treat the match like a Championship game, with a lot grit and determination we should over power them and win the day. All hail P45revoked!!

• Slank

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I cannot see the logic of a left footed Dummitt, who has been superb in central defence, being the right back when Saylor is available.

I believe the reason why the defence has been so good is that square pegs have been in square holes. On the left side are two left side players – Dummitt and Haidara. On the right side are right sided players – Colo or Williamson and Janmaat.

• Slank

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

70TWO

Perez doesn’t look tired to me whereas Ameobi always looks knackered but he chased back almost the full length of the field at the end of the game and stopped a West Ham player on the edge of our box.

I understand that Riviere is a noshow.

• Average_Contents

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Charlie

I don’t think cisse likes the way he’s been treated tbh mate. Shunted along the front line or dropped to suit other players demands ie ba and then obviously when remy arrived he got forgotten apart from a few cameo’s. Don’t think the standoff about wonga helped either.

All in all a player bereft of confidence after being the star man when he first signed with the added weight of the No9 jersey for good measure. Imagine it. Your No9 repeatedly overlooked in favour of a player who didn’t want to be here and one that eventually turned up on loan hoping to showcase his talent to get into the french squad! My nose would be out of joint too.

On Tiote it’s a hard one. Once confirmed by the king that a bid had been submitted this summer all the pieces fell into place for me.

Him with the mystery injury, rumours flying round clubs were interested (later to be confirmed) all stank of wrapping him in cotton wool and not playing him just incase the bid was upped and became acceptable only for him to get a real injury. Deal scuppered. Obviously with him completing 2 ninety minutes for his country 3 days apart this lead me to the above conclusion. He wanted to play for his country and why not? This exposed the lie of injury for me.

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Slank

Any information on the return of Santon?

• Average_Contents

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM

On a different note. I completely forgot about rivvy as 70two pointed out. Definitely on the bench but maybe give him 45 if sammy disappoints as he often does when he starts. So frustrating. I watched him closely on Saturday and for me too many times he kept the ball instead of passing. He just looks around as if realising he’s playing a game of football then goes “oh yeah” then does the same thing 10 minutes later. His heads in the clouds, quite literally. He’s not switched on enough for me. Good impact sub running at tired legs but unless he sorts out those lapses of concentration then he’s not a starter for me.

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Tue 02 19:45 A Burnley PREM
    Sat 06 12:45 H Chelsea PREM
    Sat 13 17:30 A Arsenal PREM
    Wed 17 19:45 A Tottenham LGCP
    Sun 21 13:30 H Sunderland PREM
    Fri 26 15:00 A Man Utd PREM
    Sun 28 16:15 H Everton PREM

Seven games in four weeks, Pardew will have to try to protect some players, bring the likes of Tiote, Anita, Cisse and more in to form, plus try to pick up 9 points (not less than 6).

• Average_Contents

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Slank

I agree about dummett. Like you say, the defence has been more balanced of late. Changes of personell is unavoidable obviously because needs must but there’s no need to change the dynamics.

• Average_Contents

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:35 AM

That’s my tuppence worth for the morning. I’ve got lots to do. Gearing up for Christmas n all that. Deep clean here I come. Army ish (issue) style 🙁

Laters all.

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Average_Contents

Sammy did dwell on the ball at times but I thought when he had the opportunity to put Cisse through on goal, the latter was offside (no surprise). Sammy is a heart ruling head type of player, you want to see him being the dynamic trickster and brilliant provider of assists, but he does lack consistency and makes you wonder how he gets in to the team. However he does often surprise, like the covering back at the end of the game; he actually showed he has a good footballing brain and with each game his movement and positioning has shone through.

• Sav

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Or Colo in midfield with Tiote and Anita, Taylor at RB and leave Haidara, Dummett and Williamson who did ok. Up fron perm any 3 from Cisse, Perez, Ameobi, Gouffran, Cabella and Aarons to get a run-out if fit. Perez could probably use a break and Cisse needs to get match fit.

• jimmysmith

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, Sammy is fast. He mowed that guy down, was it Jarvis, with ease, and he can pass and cross and has a good engine and work rate and really is tricky and skillful as well as being 6-5. People are talking about Aarons and Peres, and rightly so, but Sammy might yet prove the best of the lot.

• Big Pappa Cissé

Dec 1, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Wouldn’t risk Aarons as playing him too early could set him back even further . Also what has happened to Rivierre ? .

Team for next game:

————————-Krul/Elliot—————————-

–Janmaat——–Taylor——–Dummet——–Haidara–

——Anita—————-Tiote—————-Sammy——

—————————-Cabella—————————–

————Perez——————————-Cisse———-

or

————————-Krul/Elliot—————————-

–Janmaat——–Taylor——–Dummet——–Haidara–

–Cabella———Anita———–Tiote———–Sammy–

——————–Perez———–Cisse———————-

We need to play 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 as it has gotten us the most wins this season . Also Perez needs a foil up front as does Cisse, so they will both get more space playing as a pair .

But you can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that Pardew will play 4-2-3-1 with Gouffran and the best we will get is a draw .

• Slank

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:01 PM

70TWO @ 15

I don’t know when Santon will return but when he does I think Pardew will have a problem.

We have never looked balanced with a right footed player at left back made worse in my opinion with Colo on the left side of central defence.

When Santon goes forward he almost always cuts inside. He is so predictable. Oppositions can read him like a book. With Haidara and Dummitt they make the pitch wider and can whip in the crosses.

It has been so noticeable how many chances have been made and goals scored from the left against how many we haven’t when Santon was playing.

Don’t get me wrong as I think Santon is a good player but the balance of the team has been lopsided with him and Colo on the left side. When Gouffran occupied the left wing spot the opposition right back could have taken the day off so ineffective we were.

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:01 PM

In the WHam game Tiote and Colback were slightly over lapping in their duties as defensive midfielders plus with Sissoko in front of them the defense was very well protected in the first half, perhaps even too well protected as it resulted in there being not much opportunity up front. In hindsight Pardew could have changed the formation during the first 45mins without a substitution to offer a more in attack.

Against Burnley I don’t see why 2 midfielders would not be sufficient and allow the attacking players to have a go from the start. It would certainly show that the manager had a bit more confidence in the forward players and turn a problem in to an opportunity.

• 70TWO

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Slank

Although I have not seen Haidara successfully get a cross in yet I would NOT like to see Santon return on the left. If Pardew thinks he has midfield ability then he should be developed as a winger and otherwise be used as RB cover.

I always presumed Collo was left footed! Shocked to discover this is not true and how long has he been here?!

• dazzler

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Just to add my two pennies on Santon. I agree, I think when he plays we look poorer. He is not a left sided full back, nor is he a good defender. Personally, I think the Bale approach should have been applied as he would likely offer more as a winger than a full back but I see him being moved into centre midfield when the ACON starts up, if he’s fit.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM

70two

I agree. I’m not a big fan of santon, thought he didn’t position himself well and was very lazy getting back after he bombed on.

The one game I liked him was when he went to the right of midfield at Wigan and scored, looked his best.

• Slank

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM

70TWO @ 26

‘….I always presumed Collo was left footed! Shocked to discover this is not true and how long has he been here?..’

It explains a lot. Colo is very talented but he looks so much more composed when alongside Dummitt.

• kevymartins

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Is he serious? There was nothing Flukey about that goal. Williamson was not doing his job.He was playing RCB and they walked straight through Tiote was the one back trying to do Williamsons job for him. Does anybody notice everytime he plays we get beat? It was that bad Saylor had to come of the bench.

Don’t see anything in that man. He has no pace his positioning is clearly all over the place and he is NOT confident on the ball at all he panics and hoofs it everytime where as when its colo and dummett or saylor we play passing football from the back and end up with better possesion and build up play. Sell him and replace him is more of a priority than signing a Striker.

• sing in the corner

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Agreed Willo is sadly lacking, its harsh as he has been a great servant and often called upon to do a job. Not enough though. Even the young uns in the under 21s will need to get ahead of him,Soon. Lubo or Streete, ,,
    Someone earlier said Cisse will be upset at his treatment.. I’m losing a bit of patience with him. Sick of the sight of him wandering offside, how long is it going to take for him to learn how to time or bend a run?? He doesn’t offer enough for me .Plus another sodder off to the ACON every winter.
    Cheque book …OOOT.

• kevymartins

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:49 PM

As for Perez it has been a long time since I have seen a striker with such good movement he is so intelligent in making his runs plus he has the pace. Outstanding player and the sky is the limited on how far this kid can go although he will probably be sold when the season ends.

• bladeuser

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:52 PM

A flukey goal did not beat us fat sam beat shitty pardew gouffran should get nowhere near this team remy cabella should have started west ham believe it or not with the team they had out were there for the taking but our wutz of a manager goes defensive he is a boring manager who when his players start to win he f@@@s it up no matter what this team is capable of they will win nothing under him and by the way i have always wanted this mug out and always will

• sing in the corner

Dec 1, 2014 at 12:59 PM

top of the form league above Chelsea, six wins on the bounce before Saturday…we’re doing ok and so is Pardew given the circumstances. One defeat away to another side in decent form doesn’t need the panic button pushing already. I think that the point is, Blade, that you dislike him and as you say always will want him out. ..which kind of restricts your analysis? Back to work now though…

• Blofal

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I think we may end up with this against Burnley. I’m not sure we’re going to win this one. This is assuming Colo is lacking fitness and starts on the bench. He needs to be 100% for Chelsea.

Speaking of the bench it’s slim pickings… I don’t think Aarons will be back yet..

——————-Elliot
    Dummett – Saylor – Willo – Haidara
    ————Tiote—–Anita
    Cabella———-Perez——–Sammy
    ——————-Cisse

Subs: Alnwick, Colo, Armstrong, Gouffran, Riviere, Ferreyra

• LGFUAD21

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Anita plays best next to Tiote so I think we could see a very different side to him.

We will need Cabella as Burnley can be an absolute pain to break the deadlock against.

I cant find anything about Janmaat being injured. I think he was taken off so we could go 3 at the back and attack more as Haidara moved to Left wing and Sammy looked to have a free role.

Elliot
    Janmaat-Saylor-Dummet-Haidara
    Cabella-Tiote-Anita-Sammy
    Riviere – Perez

Thats my preferred line up. I know we’ve done well with 4-3-3 lately but unfortunately we really dont have another option for that third midfield spot with Abeid out. Unless anyone fancies Vuckic in there.

Gone for Riv over Cisse as I too am sick of him being offside. It also upsets me seeing his decline as I thought he was brilliant when we signed him including his time in Germany.

We def need a second striker to take some of the attention off Perez and let him sneak into those positions.

• catchy in norway

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:31 PM

flukey goal

hmm, me thinks that if that had of been janmaat or dummett we would have been saying what an amazing goal ,¨

nothing flukey about it,, the lad had no one pushing him back from our right wing no one tracking him for most of the match, he had the freedom to attack when he wanted,

the goal was all pardews fault, he should never have picked Goofy to start at right wing/DMC

if taylor was fit, he should always be preferred to Williamson as he offers us nothing other than a body on the pitch

we were beaten because we only went for a draw

flukey goals

cisse 2nd goal vs Chelsea, 2 seasons ago
    Rolando vs palace
    amazing goals, but very flukey as the could try that 100 time and never do it again

• LGFUAD21

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:34 PM

bladeuse

Go learn the game some more.

It isnt just a case of getting your best 11 on the field.

Pardew was right to set us up like he did and in fact I believe thats why we actually had a shot of taking the 3 points or at least a point home.

You are the sort of idiot that thinks football is about getting all the flair players on.

How do you think we wouldve fared with Cabella getting lumps kicked out of him by West Hams physicality and constantly loosing the ball?

He came on as a sub and did nowt.

I’m not hating on Cabella i just think he is better suited to some games than others and West Ham was a game not suited to him which is why Pardew went with Gouffrran and idiots like Bladeuser constantly bemoan defensive tactics need to learn the importance of defence in a league this competitive.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:35 PM

catchy in norway

They are referring to the miss hit that landed the ball at Creswells feet.

Take nothing away. Cresewell finished it well but the ball only got their because Koyate (i think?) completely mis hit his own shot.

Thats the flukey part.

Also Cisse’s first against Chelsea was far from fluke. He showed pure class in opening that chance up. The second one I’ll give you.

• LGFUAD21