Who Was Newcastle’s Best Player In 1-1 Draw At Burnley?

Newcastle got a 1-1 draw at Burnley tonight, when the lads came from behind in good style, and it was that man Cisse who equalized for Newcastle after 48 minutes, but we just couldn’t get that second goal that would have given us another win.

boyd scores

Boyd put Burnley ahead after 34 minutes

The game was very scrappy in the first half before Boyd put the home side ahead with a good goal after 34 minutes and it was 1-0 at the break, but then Papiss Cisse got his 5th league goal in just 7 appearances when he put the ball home from a good Janmaat cross that was missed by Gouffran.

And it was all Newcastle in that second half as we just couldn’t get that second goal to get all three points.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Burnley

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

We have two tough games coming up at hoem to Chelsea and away to Arsenal, and then we are at Tottenham in the quarter final of the Capital One Cup.

We’ll have a report of this game out soon.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• 89Norcal

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:55 PM

This game was difficult to watch….everyone was so wasteful

• armchair fan

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Repost from last thread

Good result given that personally I would have taken a draw before the start of the game given Burnley’s recent form and our injury list.

My man of the match has to be Cabella, finally started to show why we bought him [Pardew must play him in the centre from now on!]

First thing tomorrow morning we need to work on corners. How the hell a premier league player cannot cross a ball into the box without hitting the first defender or it going out before even getting in the box is beyond me. It frustrates me to the point where I feel NUFC should sign me up just to take corners.

Janmaat had a good game other than 1 or 2 times running into traffic. I love how he can either go wide or cut inside which we cannot say the same about Santon.

Staylor bombing forward almost like a box to box mid had some good little runs, the Burnley team never expected it and never knew whether to go in and tackle or stay with their own man.

Even though he got the goal, Cisse must do better. He seems lazy as if he thinks he’s lost his place in the pecking order to Perez. His first half was below par.

Promising performance for a patched up squad, hopefully we can build on this draw and maybe go on another run!

• WWSBRD

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Suppose I will repost this then Ed

Well I only saw the second half so we won 1-0 for me…nar really though another bang average display for me

Not sure why Cabella did start….even less sure why Goffran DID start. Also running out of patience with Cisse his first touches are laughable…Ings looked world class when compared with Cisse

• WWSBRD

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:57 PM

armchair
    U would of taken a draw before the game?

• catchy in norway

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM

expat

i dont think you ever read my posts,

how does me thinking we have a top 6 squad equate to me not having a good to say about the team?

arrr i get it , i slate the inept manager we have, silly me,
    i question why goofy plays ?
    and i dont think willo is a footballer ?

but on the flip side, i think Cisse is not as bad as some make out, he would be my first choice CF, he needs service, he is a finisher
    i want our kids to given more chances,
    i want us to try and go out and win a game from the first whistle, not contain for 70 mins and try and nick something,

i could ask why do you like football, because if your happy watching this crap every week, you have no idea about football

• Transfer Sage

Dec 2, 2014 at 9:59 PM

I’ve given it to cabella.

He didn’t really do anything where stats will make him look good, but he seemed to bring some drive and purpose to our game which we lacked.

Would have prefered him to start over cisse, playing just behind perez and maybe stuck riviere for a try out wide right.

• armchair fan

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM

WWSBRD

Knew I’d get flak for this.

We’ve just taken a loss at Upton Park no more than 3 days ago. Burnley had 3 wins out of their last 4, we have Rob Elliot in net who almost would have been out of the game. Our injury list is horrendous, would definitely take a draw before the game.

• Toon1978

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Miss Sissoko so much in that game. Ameobi needs to leave for a firt division club. Way out of his depth. Just cant understand WHY Pardew starts Cabella on the bench. How thick can you get? Horrible game of Football. European Football…….I REET.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM

catchy

In fairness we are seeing more of the kids…the others we don’t see much of (other than armstrong who I think is better than rivier) might struggle in training with the senior lads and not be up to it.

We have seen the likes of sammy, abeid, dummet, perez, aarons and haidara all come in who are fairly young. That’s not too bad really.

I agree I don’t like the containing approach when we are playing the likes of burnley but don’t mind it against the bigger sides.

• catchy in norway

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:02 PM

transfer

you were more than happy with the line up befroe kick off

• manxpie

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

catchy earlier today in the injury blog post you said if we can’t beat burnley with these injuries then we obviously have a poor squad!

even after constantly saying how amazing our squad is and its only the manager thats holding them back!

so which is it now!?

• Transfer Sage

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:03 PM

armchair

Against burnely I’d not take a draw before the game for 2 reasons.

1. to do well in the league you need to win some away games, burnley is one of the most winnable

2. a draw isn’t really worth that, it’s dropping 2 points, rather gamble for 3 than take just 1 in these types of games

• WWSBRD

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM

armchair
    Haha no flak mate just curious tbh

Personally I was gonna be disappointed with anything other than a win…Burnley are quality poor they just work hard something which shouldnt win games by itselfonly player who looks to have something about him is Ings and possibly Vokes

• Transfer Sage

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

catchy

I said I was happy, never said I wouldn’t have tried something else.

I know that sounds pedantic but I thought the team we picked could have done more and won the game, it was more than capable of that.

I’d personally have done it a different way, but had no issue with the team sleected.

• joeinthecheapseats

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Sage
    Ings ain’t gonna cost 10 mill he’s out of contract in June get in with a 4 mill bid he’s got a bit about him.
    Willow shouldn’t be near the first team again get him off the books at the end of the season

• armchair fan

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Transfer

Believe me if I knew Pardew was gonna go for it, I would have said we would have won it. We have been used to Pardews antics for a long time now, I knew he would have taken a draw. Just being realistic – we had majority possession, but we didn’t create enough making a draw probably more realistic. Least we didn’t lose though, could have been terrible before our tough games.

• Graeme

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Transfer @ 6 – but if you do that, play him instead of Cisse, where would the goal come from?

We have a number of “poachers” available, including Cisse – the one thing we dont have is a proper No 9 who can get in there and dominate the front line. You remember? The way Supermac did, Shearer, Sir Les, Gowling etc etc.

Oh, how one of their like would thrive in this team – providing P45DUE understood what they were trying to do to save his sorry ass!!!!

• GEORDIE69

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Goufrann was very poor again, we carried him through the 90 minute’s. Tut tut Pardew.

• manxpie

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM

plus perez wasn’t a cf at tenerife he was an attacking midfielder

• Transfer Sage

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM

joeinthecheapseats

Ah right, well maybe he is worth a punt then. Still would rather aim for a better player personally.

Armchair

I think the draw isn’t great, still dropped 2 points. I think the good thing about these difficult games coming all together means that after we should have a run of winnable games to make up for it.

We can attack these games as a bit of a bonus.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM

graeme

Well for me cisse looks a goal scorer so think he is ok up front alone.

For me you don’t need a big, dominant CF. It might make play easier at times as you can just hit the odd long ball. The key though is to make sure that you provide the forward with the right type of support to suite his style and we don’t always do that.

When we do though perez looks a real threat.

• catchy in norway

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:12 PM

transfer

the kids are only getting a game because of injury,

pardew can not make his mid up what LB to play so ends up giving them a half each

Abeid has been our best midfielder so far this season, but will be dropped when everyone is fit,

sammy is only getting a game because of injury, but when everyone is fit, goofy will get his place back on the left

dummett has been our best CH since he has got there, but i dont see him staying there when colo is back,

perez is lively up front, but gets no support

cabella is now pardews impact sub, much as HBA was before him

if you can not see this after all this time, you are blind

the 2 big calls that he got wrong from the start,

saylor for williamson
    cabella for goofy

but he went for the cautious approach against a team i believe we should have been getting all 3 points from

• joeinthecheapseats

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM

The big man won’t pay the going rates for players so really can’t see him signing anyone other than Ings or Gignac in the window
    Strategy seems to be looking for players who are nearly out of contract

• toonking

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:13 PM

TS

had it been two weeks ago i wouldn’t have taken a draw but tonight i accept the draw and was expecting it at the start. when we are only missing 2 or 3 starters it’s not that bad but tonight we had 6 key men missing, krul, colo, sissoko, colback, obatan and arrons. we might have missed the speed against west brom but thankfully we still had the safe defence but now we are without colo and krul, without them we have got no defence.

• JamesToon

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Dreading the Derby, and fair play to the mackems they play good football on the deck and keep possession well, something we really struggle against unless we have the likes of aarons and obertan

• manxpie

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM

catchy……….

“but lets face it , its only Burnley we are playing, if our squad players can not come in and do a job tonight, there is something very wrong with our squad”

• Transfer Sage

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:18 PM

catchy

They are presumptions you have made though, you can’t say that for sure.

He had settled on dummet at left back but as he is our CB now haidara has come in. I agree with the criticism of the left back position last year, he was a joke with how he kept subbing them.

As for the rest well lets just see, saturday will decide the abeid issue for sure.

Perez has been getting more support than our forwards used to get, it’s not perfect but better.

Kids often only get a chance through injuries, that’s normal. What will be key is seeing if they keep their place in the side when the seniors come back.

Also fully agree that taylor should start above willo.

• Transfer Sage

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM

james

sunderland are poor, they defend well and that’s it. They keep the ball on the floor but create even less chances than us, they look no threat at all.

• Graeme

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:19 PM

TS @ 21 – no argument with Cisse, he will score goals; Everytime I see his magic trick against Chelski, I just have to lol.

I’m not convinced he is a proper 9 though, to me, he’s more of a Bellamy to Shearer or a Tudor to Supermac. He isnt getting the service he needs and its frustrating the shit out of him, and me!!

Sort out the front line, whichever way works, even playing Arma instead of a Purple, I really dont care who plays as long as they understand their role in the team.

If that was in place tonight, we would have won the game!!!

• manxpie

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:23 PM

jail and wolf had it right earlier!

embarrassing!

• welshgeordie9

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:24 PM

A draw away to west ham and burnley with not a full squad is acceptable.

A draw away to west ham and burnley with a full squad is NOT acceptable.

End of.

• catchy in norway

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:24 PM

manx

read it again please, it says nothing like that at all,

its about the list of injuries and how some would get nowhere near the first team for me,

i think we have a top six squad, that is being held back by a cautious manager,

but yeh please read it again,,

and yeh i thought we would get beat, because of tactics and poor choices of player positioning by pardew, that is no slight on our players abilities,
    perez is a better CF than a link up player, FACT
    goofy is crap when he is on the left side of the pich for us, but put him on the right side, then we are playing with 10 men for 90 mins
    williamson can only hoof a ball, is no where near prem class for any club in the division

players should be in there best positions to get the best out of them,

easy one for you, cabella or goofy on the right side of the pitch,, you pick one

• welshgeordie9

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Now people are saying that playing in this is way out of Sammy’s depth i bet they didn’t say that when we were in a run, well to be honest we still are.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM

League

• Sav

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:06 AM

I voted for Ameobi. He really put in a good shift although I’d have liked him to crown it with a couple more telling crosses. A good partnership developing with Haidara.