Newcastle Lining Up Midfield Play-Maker For January

There is news that Newcastle United are interested in Scotland central midfielder Lewis Macleod, who plays for Rangers.

lewis macleod

Lewis Macleod – Rangers central midfield play-maker

With Mike Ashley now owning just less than 9% of Rangers and essentially in control of the club, it will probably not be surprising that there could be some Newcastle youngsters going on loan to Rangers, and some players also going in the opposite direction, either on loan or on permanent deals.

Macleod is only 20 years old so he’s the right age of players Newcastle may be interested and he has already played 75 times for the Scottish club with 16 goals and he;’s played for all the Scottish Youth sides from U16 though U21.

Born in Wishaw, 15 miles south-east of Glasgow, he joined Rangers as a 10 year-old and made his debut for the first team in July of 2012 against Brechin City, having just turned 18.

The news is being made by his agent Paul Martin said in the Daily Record:

“There has been interest in Lewis from more than one team but that’s all I’d say on the matter.”

The player is highly rated in Scotland and he’s a play-making central midfielder – the type of player Newcastle are always interested in.

Newcastle have had success with a number of their youngsters this season, which is one reason we have collected a good 20 points in our last 9 league games and are now in 7th position, just 3 points off 4th place.

In July of last year Lewis gave an interview to the Daily Record,  and he seems a humble enough lad:

“My parents always taught me that I wasn’t to forget where I came from. I know some young players can let the game get to them and act flash but I don’t want to be like that.”

“I’m not particularly keen on getting recognized by people in the street and I did buy the car because the insurance was cheaper. “

“My incentive to do well is the buzz you get from playing in front of 40,000-plus at Ibrox every second week.”

Well if this news is true he could even be playing in front of 52,000 fans at St. James’ Park, against some of the best teams in Europe – like Chelsea FC as one example.

Newcastle could  make a move in January,  and Lewis would probably be brought into the Development squad under Peter Beardsley – at least initially, and then it would be up to the 5’9″ player to show what he can do in the Newcastle U21 side.

But Newcastle have shown this season, with players like Ayoze Perez. Mehdi Abeid, Massadio Haidara  and Rolando Aarons, that if you are good enough then manager Alan Pardew gives them their chance in the Newcastle first team.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Papertalk,
    Rangers need all the money they can get they’re not going to give players away to us.

• expatmag

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:00 PM

IAN TOON

yes. I know him well. His educated approach on here is worrying. I gave a theory about this. It is not MR TUFF posting articulate comments but MRS TUFF who is highly educated, very astute and a tidy bit of tackle as well………lol

• expatmag

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:02 PM

JFA

he is a canny player but I can see us buying him for the 2 or 3 million Ashley has so far loaned them and then loan him back to Rangers for the remainder of the season.

• expatmag

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Canny

Cant imagine you being a hard hearted lass. More like a big pink ball of fluff……lol

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Expat,
    Where the hell did that come from. Lol. I pay a fortune at the salon every month to ensure there is nothing fluffy about me. there ye go, I bit. Happy now!

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM

As worrying as it is, I can see this swap a roo with Rangers becoming a staple of our future. Assuming it can be done. If there are rules around owning two clubs then there would be something covering this carry on wouldn’t there?

• beermonkey

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM

expat

I don’t mind loaning players to rangers more so when and if they get promoted
    aslong as there not from our first team it didn’t do dummett any harm going to st Mirren

• welshgeordie9

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Canny in Canberra

Those comments expatmag made about Mister Tuff didn’t bother me, but arguing with people you get on with that got to me because I think expatmag is alright.

Anyway I’m off.

• expatmag

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:17 PM

Canny

Hadaway pet. I was being jolly……lol

Beer

I think you will find it will be fringe players going there and not senior squad members. Right about Dummett though. However Campbell failed dismally.

• expatmag

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Canny

I got a mental picture now of you coming out of the salon with a big pink fluffy afro…….lol

• Tsunki

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I don’t think Welsh was so bad he needed hounding out. His jokes were a bit rank I know but there’s no need for him to be a blog exile
    If much rather see pointless posters like brutooon and toonbotherer get the bums rush they spend all their time bitching about individual players and nothing else.

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Expat
    Guess that’s better than a blue rinse

• beermonkey

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM

expat

some players it will work for others it wont, when cambell was there their were rumours of an attitude problem with cambell but how true it is I don’t know

• Canny in Canberra

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Tsunki,

Welsh hasn’t been hounded out. He’ll be back. He’s always saying he’s going and never does. I quite like his jokes.