There Could Be Better News On Rob Elliot

Newcastle goalkeeper Rob Elliot has been nursing a slight thigh strain in the three matches he has played filling in for the injured Tim Krul, so we will have to wait on what the scan is.

rob elliot injured cheslea 2-1

Rob Elliot – ouch – it hurts

But it may not be as bad as first thought – although he has no chance of playing at the Emirates on Saturday.

Here’s what the goalkeeper said after the game yesterday:

“I have been playing the last couple of games with a slight thigh strain.” “Unfortunately it just went.” “Hopefully it’s not too bad.”

“I will go for a scan and fingers crossed it’s as short as possible, in terms of recovery.” “It’s a massive win.” “We’ve had a couple of games where we had a loss and draw recently.”

“To beat Chelsea with the injuries we’ve had shows how together we are as a club.” “It was just hard work and we stuck to our game plan.”

“We knew we’d have good possession so we tried to limit them down the middle.” “They have a fantastic striker in Costa and Hazard too.“You could name every single one of them really.”

“It was just a case of limiting their opportunities and defending together then taking our chance to hit them on the break.”

We don;lt know what “as short as possible”  means in terms of being out – but Alan Pardew after the game said Rob’s out until January – so we are hoping for better news on the goalkeeper – and we should hear something official quite soon.

And Colo is injured again, so we are waiting for the prognosis of his injury too.

But Newcastle are now paying the price for not having three experienced goalkeepers at the club, which most Premier league clubs have – especially the big ones.

Of course we are all hoping that Jak Alnwick can continue being a hero for us as he plays for Newcastle – certainly he made a good start yesterday – to his immense credit.

Another local lad in the first team!

And Alan Pardew and his coaches have to understand why we have so many injuries – Chelsea have one player out with injury – maybe we should try to find out what they do in training to restrict injuries?

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:03 AM

welsh
    ,Will you please stop referencing me in your posts, you pretend I don’t exist and vice versa.

• Slank

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM

11Slank // Dec 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM

It’s quite obvious to anyone watching us play since the Southampton game that the players are right behind their manager but I was wondering, without taking anything away from many of the foreign players who work tirelessly for the team, whether the infusion of so many local lads has reinforced the determination to win and the cohesion of the team to stick together.

At one point yesterday I counted five local lads on the pitch. There must be some Toon anorak who can tell me the last time we had so many local lads playing in the first team.

• Average_Contents

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Excellent result yesterday lads.

I missed the first 25 minutes due to getting the Christmas tree (which is a beast by the way) I was trying to keep up on SSN on the phone but we were that far out in the boonies the 4g was piss poor. From what I’ve seen of limited replays (yet to watch motd) they didn’t really have too many clear cut chances in the supposed period of said 25 minutes when someone mentioned they could of been 3 up!

Everyone played their part yesterday in what can only be described as a brilliant team performance. Not the free flowing expansive football we all want to see but needs must at the moment what with the injuries we currently have, especially when playing top clubs and a club who had remained unbeaten until they came here. I’ve no problem playing like this against the bigger teams, it’s when we concede so much possession and area’s of the pitch to teams like villa, burnley, palace ect ect that I get and I’m sure many others get frustrated.

Can’t be bothered to mention how every player played or give them marks as most of that has been mentioned already but Alnwick (when called upon), Colo, Taylor(up until the sending off), janmaat, Colback, Sissoko, young Perez(what a diamond) and Cisse were quite literally outstanding.

Credit to the king for his formation and substitutions yesterday. He played his part and was positive throughout. It wasn’t that long ago that Perez would of been off with Cisse coming on in his place.

Has he learnt his lesson? Has the obvious suddenly dawned on him? I hope it has but I remain cautious of him reverting to type like burnley away and like he’s done previously.

That said I think if we show more consistancy in our game plan and results over a prolonged period, stop the appalling runs we go on and we cut out the losses to the mackems then I for one will give him more respect and admit he’s doing a good job. Until then I’ll remain wary.

• Ian Toon

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Lilongwe – the mood feels as good this morning as it did last night. On the crowd – your earlier point- the closing minutes of the game really showed how much the toon fans cared. The atmosphere was electric with a hell of a lot of clenched fists and jumping around.
    As I said last night it was like all our yesterdays and the Keegan era.
    Times of old.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM

A_C,
    Hear hear, I think he has to turn the mackems over to gain back any form of respect, we have been here before with some good results against big teams, Chelsea fans do not gloat at Nissan or on Oil rigs.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Jail for Ashley

There’s no need to do that, I will behave from now on because I’ve just a warning from ed.

• Ian Toon

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Slank – it’s what Pardew calls self sufficiency being realised. He cites the point on the eve of his fourth anniversary that he was let down in the Europa Season as the back up youngsters were not ready to step up; he believes this is his strongest squad enhanced through the mix of astute signings and maturing academy quality players.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Welsh,
    Very well, seriously though I do not want any part of you banter or conversation, I blogged quite happily before you showed up and will continue to do so pretending you are not here, I would appreciate if you stopped randomly posting snidey comments aimed at me to help me acheive this.

• catchy in norway

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM

let me start by saying FABTASTIC RESULT yesterday, not many seen that coming esp ME.

it was bad form from Jose to blame the ball boys for them not wining, esp when you look at the stats,

26 shots 9 on target
    67% possession
    10 corners

for me they had more than enough time, and lets be fair, 6 mins of added on time was more than enough to compensate for the ball boys,

for me it was more about wanting it more, they thought they could just turn up to one of our training matches and walk away with the points, they didn’t really try hard enough,

that said, you have to look at that comment that Jose said, and I think he is bang on the money, most of our matches look like friendlies/training matches, we do not want to attack in the first half of any match regardless of who it is we are playing, now im not saying we don’t attack in the first half, we just don’t get many bodies forward.
    if you look at who we have beaten this season its very impressive
    Man C
    Liverpool
    Spurs
    Chelsea
    4 from the top 6 last season , but that tactic works when the other team comes play football so we can hit them on the break,
    now factor in the
    Hull
    palace
    burnley
    qpr
    Lei C
    west ham
    these teams don’t want to play football, and we end up with a narrow hard fought win draw or loss,

we use the same tactic vs everyone, we sit in – goals , we don’t really use our best players in the best positions, its all about doing it his way, which for the most part is wrong,
    remmy came on VS Burnley sitting just behind the forward, looked quite good, stared on the right wing vs Chelsea was starved of the ball, and looked poor

when confidence is high as it is right now, its ok, as everything looks great with these narrow wins, but when confidence is low, as it has been for long spells during his time here, we just look terrible, like we are in training mode, and results don’t really matter so much, this in when the clueless one should be earning his money. but he just sits it out until his next lucky streak

• dmhomag

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Who will be the backup if Alnwick gets injured?

• county down magpie

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Ffs Catchy will you not for once let it go. Fair enough you point out all his inadequacies as a manager, and rightly so, and you are consistent so no one can accuse you of being a flavour of the month kinda guy.

BUT as someone on here rightly said yesterday if everyone feels it’s fair to Slate Pardew for our losses then surely even the most entrenched against him must give him at least a little praise for the run we’ve been on the last wee while?

I myself am not overly enamoured with the guy but can see how a lot of this past run has to do with him and how he has handled the start of the season adversity and how the squad have seen that and almost fed off it.

His starting lineups, forced on him maybe, have been almost what everyone here have been calling for. His subs have been at the right time, the right people and for the right reasons.

Maybe he has learned from the weight of criticism, maybe he’s right in saying it’s his most settled squad since he came here and that the young ones are starting to get to grips with it or maybe you believe the players are just doing what they want to do themselves and its got nowt to do with him…