Praise For Pardew And Ashley From Sky Sports Pundit

Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher has been reviewing the game on Saturday between Arsenal and Newcastle, and he has had some good things to say about the way Newcastle have been playing recently.

jamie carragher

Jamie Carragher – Sky Sports pundit

And he has gone a little bit further by giving out some accolades to the Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, and even to the owner Mike Ashley.

This is what Jamie has said today:

All in all, Alan Pardew has done a good job at Newcastle. He got Manager of the Year one year as well, the next year they went into the Europa and found it difficult, and then they started the following season very well, but lost Yohan Cabaye.

But I think that the fans’ frustration comes more towards the owners than Alan Pardew,  and the fact that when you have a manager for so long, I think that at times people become bored and they want change. They want something new, something different.

And of course, it was a difficult start to this season after the end to last season, so you can understand the fans’ frustration.” However, credit to Alan Pardew, I think he handled himself really well. He was dignified in his interviews afterwards, he always said the right things and as I said, I think at this moment they have come out the other side.

And I also think that you have to give owner Mike Ashley some credit, because obviously in the past a lot of owners have got rid of a manager early after the fans turn on them. But he has done a really good job and I am sure that the Newcastle fans, even though they were criticizing him, will want this to continue.

From the defeat we suffered at Stoke City on Monday night, September 29th,  I was convinced Alan Pardew was going to be fired on the following Tuesday morning  – but I was wrong (again).

In fact we had just beaten Crystal Palace 3-2 after extra time in the Capital One Cup the previous Wednesday, and drawn against Hull the previous Saturday, so maybe there were even some signs of improvement in those games.

But Newcastle have turned things around in dramatic fashion in the 10 games since the Stoke defeat, and we have won seven, drawn two and lost only one at West Ham.

This season has already been very strange – the good, the bad, and the ugly – and we are hoping the game at Arsenal on Saturday turns out to be in the “good” category.

But we have never done well at the Emirates for a long time.

But there again we had never won at the Etihad Stadium either – before this season – and we won there with a number of our youngsters stating that game.

Howay The Lads!!

Note: Two of our readers – Robert Cropper and Joseph English – are Newcastle University students and for their third year dissertation they have chosen to focus on the question “Has There Been a Decline in Atmosphere at British Stadiums?” with a specific focus on Newcastle United.

They need as many questionnaires filled out as possible – please see if you can help them here.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Like all difficult away games we can’t be too disapointed if we lose as long as we turn up and give a good game.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Toon kk from last thread.

I’m not an Ashley lover. I just think he’s given a hyperbolic level of criticism.

I think he did take a gamble. I also think he needs to pay that extra £3m at times for player. I think missing out on Lacazette will bite us in the ass because he will be one of the top strikers of his generation.

I just refuse to buy into this notion that he is pocketing money from the club and I have no qualm with him advertising sports direct through us.

Now if I found out we were being ripped on the retail side like rangers I would grab my pitchfork in an instance.

I honestly think he has the right idea with running a self sustainable club and think that a lot of too. Fans have ideas above our station. I just think he is executing it poorly. He does t trust people which is why he won’t take a gamble on a pochettino, de boer or Rodgers type to bring proper stability to the club.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM

A win would be fantastic, a draw will be good, but if we lose then i hope it’s not a thrashing because I want the players on top of their game next weekend against Sunderland.

• LGFUAD21

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:16 PM

And JFA. Last thread.

I’m not suggesting that we shouldn’t have invested to build on that finish. I often say that was where we went wrong.

I’m saying to their saying to not invest before Europa league was criminal but no teams invest for that comp

• LGFUAD21

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I’ll take a draw. We have a woeful record at Emirates.

That said now is the time to pounce. Devuchy could well be playing cb.

• John Tudor

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:22 PM

nothing less than a win i expect

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:22 PM

LFGUAD,
    Ok, but I think you ended up getting tangled up in your defence of not strengthening for that competition.

• martoon

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM

The way I look it is I would have been content with a point against Chelsea and another point at the Emirates. So far we have 3 so any more would be a bonus – as long a we don’t get thrashed.

• optimistic prime

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I’m predicting another 2-1 win

• nufc 11

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM

To be fair Jamie nufc fans gave AP every chance the results and the maner of them at times this was just unexceptable if AP didnt have the 8year deal hed have been gone, I dont see any club keeping there manager playing the way we did at times. I for 1 kept an open mind for a long long period but in the end i wanted ap out too. Times are good at the moment but there will always be a crisis just around the corner with us its the nature of the club long may the run continue…..