This Striker Too Old And Too Expensive For Newcastle

Bafetimbi Gomis is now 29 years old and he cannot get a starting place at Swansea, after he joined the Welsh club as a free agent last summer.

Bafetimbi Gomis Swansea

Bafe Gomis – in action for Swansea

Gomis has appeared 12 times for Swansea with two goals so far this season, but only four of those appearances were in the starting line-up.

The Mail is reporting that QPR are interested in signing the striker in January, and that he has a £7M release clause in his Swansea contract.

So we suppose it could be possible that Swansea make close to a £7M profit on the player in just six months – if they sell him in January.

But Newcastle will not be one of those clubs – because owner Mike Ashley likes a good deal – and if we didn’t want to pay the money for him when he was a free agent there’s just no way Newcastle will pay £7M for his services.

Especially when Bafe hasn’t looked impressive playing for Swansea.

And it looks like 20 year old Anderlecht striker Aleksandar Mitrovic is available for around £10M, and that would be  much better deal for  Newcastle.

We haven’t done too badly up front this season, with Papiss Cisse in great form and 21 year-old Spanish U21 International Ayoze Perez looking good when playing in the Newcastle first team.

And of course Newcastle have a promising local striker in 17 year-old Adam Armstrong coming through the ranks too.

But Manu Riviere has struggled, and Argentine striker Facundo Ferreyra hasn’t even played for the first team in a competitive game, and doesn’t make the bench.

If Newcastle are to go after a striker in January then we will likely go after somebody who is younger than 29.

Aleksandar Mitrovic and 26 year-old Borussia Monchengladbach’s German International striker Max Kruse are probably the top two targets for Newcastle.

What do you think?

Note: Two of our readers – Robert Cropper and Joseph English – are Newcastle University students and for their third year dissertation they have chosen to focus on the question “Has There Been a Decline in Atmosphere at British Stadiums?” with a specific focus on Newcastle United.

They need as many questionnaires filled out as possible – please see if you can help them here.

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• brklyngeordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM

enough with nonsense please Ed

• jazzyp

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:04 AM

Not this bollox again Ed.Hes not coming and that’s that.
    Not good enough for Swansea…. Not good enough for us

• expatmag

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Cannot understand Swanseas thinking here. Why pay him a huge signing on fee and 80K a week in salary just to sit on the bench.

Maybe Welshie can throw some light on it.

• Go toon gooooo

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Maybe Nile Ranger?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:53 AM

Expat,
    Cause the lad isn’t very good. He was distinctly average in a distinctly average French league. A few of the French lads out here never really rated him, and when I have seen him he was always disappointing. I was very pleased when we didn’t sign him.

I haven’t seen much of Mitrovic, but he looks to have decent potential, and is a very different style centre forward to those already at the club. Will we spend £10million on him? I’m not sure, then there is always the danger of a different club bidding for him.

• cyprus

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:00 AM

So fans dislike HBA so much that they don’t want him back? Has he been that poor?

Congratulations AP for spreading the conformity principle:(

• nut meg

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Not for me,didn’t really want him on a free now certainly wouldn’t pay millions for him…a non starter hopefully. Danny Ings would add even more pace & goals IMHO.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Cyprus,
    While you know my thoughts on HBA well enough, and I’m not surprised by his struggles at Hull, I am surprised that so many of our fans have changed opinion on the player based on very little new or different evidence.

From being the shining talisman to nearly 4out of 5 not wanting him to get a new contract is a remarkable swing, particularly given that most of them will have seen very little of him this season to form a different opinion.

Yes, we have some players who have upped there game this season, but OBertan still isn’t the answer, Cabella is yet to really get going so I don’t get the swing. A few will always change, sure, but to this extent? I don’t quite get it.

• lesh

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:20 AM

£7m release clause?

The only way Gomis’s agent would agree to that would bee if his/ her fees were astronomical or the lad’s signing fee and/ or wages are sky high.

Remember,we reportedly didn’t sign him because of difficulties over agent fees.

Maybe fate was kind to us in that particular instance?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:21 AM

nut meg,
    An interesting couple of quotes from Fat Sam regarding Winston Reid recently. Reid is out of contract at the end of the season, but Allardyce argues that even though they may lose him on a free at the end of the season, there is even less point selling him for cheap in Jan. His reasoning being that if Reid helps them maintain there good form, they will make more money from their final position then they would if they let him go and their form dropped off.

For Burnley and Ings, that statement is even more relevant. If Ings can find goals for Burnley they have an opportunity to stay in the Prem. That would essentially make his relative value in Jan around the £50/60 million mark that they could lose out on next year by being relegated.

If I was Burnley I’d ask him to stay given come the end of the season he could leave anyway. If he kept them up with goals he could earn more, and have a wider range of suitors. If he didn’t, there will still be Prem clubs interested in giving him an opportunity.

• lesh

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Lol..

You’re surprised that so many of our fans have changed opinion on HBA on very little new or different evidence?

C’mon, you must know word fickle!

• lesh

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:27 AM

Whoops, sorry Lilongwe, my Mickey Mouse Sports Direct phone’s done it again – *Lol = Lil.

😉

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:32 AM

Lesh,
    Ha, yes, fickle indeed. I imagine that if we lose our next three games then the poll results would be very different if it were to be re done.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:42 AM

Incredible the support for Raylor as well on that poll. While he has gone through a lot over the last 2 years, and he has done okay in his brief appearances back is he really the answer moving forward? Is his knee even up to continuing? I like him, and wouldn’t mind him staying in the back room staff – especially if his knee is done – but moving forward to next season surely we should be looking to replace him, given fitness issues and the restrictions on squad places.

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:51 AM

I think its a great bit of non business for NUFC that Gomis / agent didn’t want to come here. He’s ordinary on a good day. There’s plenty of his quality level around for less money, and I’d rather have what we have already on balance.
    Hatem has deteriorated. I don’t think most people are being fickle about him…he just changed. Never back in for me unless he knuckles down for good.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:55 AM

SITC,
    I don’t think he has deteriorated, he just is what he is. He has always had the same issues at every club. The odd flash of brilliance doesn’t cut it for me. I don’t want to get into an HBA debate though, as it is pointless, even though I’m sure I’d find a lot less opposition to my views then a year/year and a half ago.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:58 AM

Just been having a read of .com, a couple of stats/records that I think we are more than capable of breaking in the next 2 games. Firstly, we haven’t scored against Arsenal since Ba in 2012, conceding 9 in that same period.

Secondly, of our 7 appearances in League Cup quarter finals, we have lost 6 and won once, with just one goal in those games, an own goal courtesy of Notts County. An utterly abysmal record, which hopefully will be put right next week.

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Lil / lesh..
    Yeah the flashes of brilliance were happening a lot more for Hatem, lately he looks more lost than ever though. But yes, HBA-gate has been done to death, suffice to say we’ve moved on.
    I feel optimistic about this week ..as ever!! The thing is once again it may not be the worst time to play these two London teams, with their midweek travails and form issues, Mackems are a different kettle of fish like, and I’m gonna try not to jinx us like I have the last 2 times. Just wish we had less selection / availability problems…

• ganiyu

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Newcastle united will not be signing anybody this January .players returning back from injuries will be treated like new signings. the topic should be more about who is likely to be sold in January. get used to the regime ed.

• Mister Tuff

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:05 AM

For tomorrow I think King Percy will be continuing with our “smash and grab” style of football. Not particulary nice to watch but has been “effective” over recent weeks.Coupled with the youngsters contributing quite well, speed etc it has certainly got us points. Can Wenger employ tactics to thwart our tactics?

I’ve been considering why King Percy has been going on about Wenger -naming the stadium after him and rebuking their fans for disrespecting him. I wondered what the hell is he going on about -then it struck me. Really he is talking about himself by using Wenger to illustrate his own desires -sort of a subliminal message.
    Fits in quite well IMO with the Kings character.

• 70TWO

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Will MA be able to resist the temptation a no fee Fernando Torres, or does he come in the same ‘too old and too expensive’ and not very good?

• Average_Contents

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:15 AM

ThekingPercyStadium@fattysring.com

Got a nice “ring” to it.

Sorry.

• 70TWO

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Mister Tuff

Pardew can’t resist comparisons with Managers that have actually won something and have creative attacking teams. There is no doubt he will continue to play off the back foot against Arsenal and Spurs, but what will he do in the derby? Except lose.

• Mag52

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Lilongwe@8

re HBA. Don’t you think the massive outpouring of support some weeks ago was, in part, simply another stick with which to beat AP ?
    The Pardew haters are still at it but in a much more subdued way at the moment ( Mr.Tuff’s ludicrous suggestion that Pardew’s admiration for Wenger is, in fact, admiration of himself).
    A few losses, irrespective of the state of injuries we are suffering from, and it’ll all kick off again.

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Ha ha guys…I see hope is still springing eternal eh?
    4 points and advancing in the cup. Howay me bonny lads (to Europe)!

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Mag52,
    You talk about the ‘Pardew haters’ as though they were a sedret fult, at one stage 85% of fans wanted him out, of course the voices of dissent are subdued, he’s doing what he’s supposed to and getting some decent results at the moment. Do you think the same W Ham fans that were fed up with Fat Sams negative football and droll excuses are calling for his head now, it’s not necessarily being fickle it’s about wanting best for your team.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Mag52,
    I think that is undoubtedly true. But I don’t think it was solely that, HBA could at times be inspirational, and it was that hope that I think people cling to, rather than a stick to bash Pards with. I do agree though, and as I said to Lesh, a few defeats could see the same poll offer very different results.

As for the Pardew ‘haters’ I think many of them have given credit when it has been deserved over the past month or two. They want to see what is best for their team, and what Pardew has produced largely for the past two years hasn’t been the best that we could have done, even with the restrictions from above.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Mag52,
    Fickle, is seeing your team finish second and after ten games the next season calling for the managers head, we have endured four years of Pardew and the dross he’s served up.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Sedret fult ???
    Secret cult

• sing in the corner

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Jail

Hope you asked for a phone for xmas?

• Mister Tuff

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I really do not like this alarmist and hysterical language that Mag 52 uses – Pardew haters – I do not particuarly like the bloke and do not think he is a top class coach – and it ends there. I do not hate the bloke. This alarmist and hysterical language is only used to ensure a divide on the blog.