We Missed Sissoko Today – I Have To Look At Team Selection Too

A dour looking Alan Pardew was interviewed immediately after the game on the NBC Sports Network over here in the US this afternoon.

alan pardew at aresnal

Alan Pardew – on the sidelines at Arsenal today

This is what the Newcastle manager said after we were well beaten 4-1 by Arsenal today:

¨We play a lot better than that usually,  but we missed Sissoko today, there’s no doubt about that.¨  ¨We didn’t get the balance right and I have to look at myself as well in terms of the selection of the team.¨

¨We need to cope without Sissoko because he’s not going to play every week.¨ ¨But he’s been a big player for us and we missed him today.¨

There will be a tendency to over-react to this thumping – but we were missing an awful lot of players today through injury and suspension – about twelve in total – but unfortunately there are not many of them coming back before January.

Moussa Sissoko and Steven Taylor are now available for the Capital One Cup game at Tottenham on Wednesday night, after being suspended for today’s game, and they may come straight back into the side.

And Rolando Aarons should be fairly close to being fit again, and maybe he can play at White Hart Lane, and Mehdi Abeid could be close to being fit too.

But Tim Krul, Rob Elliot, Ryan Taylor, Gabby Obertan, Siem de Jong and Davide Santon will not be fit until next year, and will miss the hectic holiday season of games.

A bright spot for Newcastle today was the overall play of Ayoze Perez who scored a good goal out of nothing, from another good Jack Colback free-kick, for this fourth goal of the season.

Jack Colback had another solid display for the Magpies, but Daryl Janmaat picked up his fifth yellow card in the second half with just 9 minutes to go in the game,  and will now miss the game at Tottenham.

Wonder how many players have been missing in our games this season through injury and suspension?

It’s too many – whatever the number is.

Oh well – we can always turn things around on Wednesday night by winning the game at White Hart Lane and advance to the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup.

And then we take on Sunderland at home next Sunday.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player At Arsenal?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Tsunki

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Toonbotherer – if my parents were, what would you say about that? Do you have any particular type of ‘special needs’ in mind or were you being insulting across the entire spectrum? Science may indeed benefit from my brain, however I don’t think they will be holding their breath for yours to show up. Try insulting someone of your own single figure IQ or have a go at a fellow infant on cbeebies site before coming back and trying it on an adult again.

Colo is like any cb who has a mediocre day, he just needs to look at who his sidekicks are. We never do well with Willo and with Dummet as lb. Poor defensive lineup all round and the goalkeeper was lost. Dummet instead of Willo and Haidara lb from now on.

In the end, it was arsenal and it’s a long time since we’ve been up to their standard even with a fully fit first team. Let’s hope the cup is good to us.

• toonking

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM

well everybody are you happy now?

pardew himself has admitted that he got selection wrong when he could have just said it’s down to injuries so their you go he said what you said now just forget about this game or go and support barclona.

oh wait don’t support them because they lost a game today when they should actually be winning all games so my adv ice support real madrid or bayern.

• geordie157

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM

I thought Perez looked good today. Can we try Riviere on the right instead of the useless Gouffran

• toonbrother

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Tsunki stating a fact is not an insult
    You are extraordinarily stupid
    I don’t blame you or your parents for their dumb DNA
    The point i was making is if you donated your brain to science you could further research in this area and help special needs kids like yourself
    I hope you did not take my comments personally
    I was only offering friendly advice

• Tsunki

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Toonbotherer – is pasting the same sentence about coloccini for several seasons ‘stating a fact’ ? And you think I’m stupid? Come on, what did he do to you? Cut you up at the lights? Forget to take your bin out? Park on your lawn?

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Beaten by a better team today – first 20 minutes could of bean 3 o4 down gradually got back into the game might of had a penalty.
    started second half like the first two sloppy goals – colo should not of went to ground in tackle for one – other looked offside. Perez opportunist goal looked interesting until fourth goal pen – might of had free kick other end. Missed Sissoko today- I gave Colback man of the match.Tote ok in breaking up play but has not got the vision in a counter attacking team – breakaway moves broke down when he had the ball and and most cases ball was passed back.
    Nobody was poor but on the other no one stood out

• Tsunki

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Oh and toonbotherer, you didn’t say dumb, you used ‘special needs’ without hanging back and considering anything about the family life of someone you dont know. it’s always only a matter of time before trolls like you blurt out their true ugly nature for all to see.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:48 PM

toonbrother,
    As witness, I have read Tsunkis posts for about four years now and I can honestly state that he is not extraordinarily stupid !

• jimiley

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:48 PM

We need to keep the faith. A top 4 spot is still attainable.

• Tsunki

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM

As jail said,just moderately idiotic 🙂

• welshgeordie9

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:49 PM

No manager gets their tactics right every game.

• JAMSHA(PARDEW SLAYER)

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM

PEREZ <COLBACK<JANMAT TOP… I DNT BLAME PARDEW OR THE TEAM…WITH MANY PLAYERS OUT WE STILL DID GOOD 2nd HALF..I JUST HOPE PARDEW SELECTS THE WINNG TEAM, NXT MATCH

• almondrichie

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

welsh

you dont get me……i am only taking about the selection of gouffran and what did he do today…not a single good pass i remember and missed a golden opportunity

• Mister Tuff

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

toonbrother- you should withdraw your comments.

• toon kk

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Toonking
    Everyone has to except including fans, players and the manager we are going to loose certain games.
    strange how people come on here after a win how good we are then one loss and a lot wouldn’t have a certain players in the squad.
    At the end of the day we still played well at times tonight but were out classed by a better team.

• jimiley

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Welshgirl,
    And thats why we forgive Pards most weeks. He gets it wrong most of the time. Just wait til we lose a few games in a row….. we will be calling for his head again.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Charlie,
    We started off looking like our record down there suggests we would great goal by Perez though

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Welsh,
    Please explain why you claim to follow Newcastle, just a genuine honest request ?

• almondrichie

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:58 PM

i gotta feeling we will win capital one cup this season….but fingers crossed its bit too early

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM

almondritchie,
    Do the bookies follow your gut instict ?

• croftus5678

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:01 PM

o.k. for me theres a few things clear after that game.

tiote needs to be sold while he is playing well ! i know he had a decent game there but i think he was lucky to still be on the pitch tbh.
    put any other colback/sissoko/anita/abied even bigi on the pitch and my heart doesnt start racing half as much as when tiote is on the pitch.

alnwick is just not cut out for it and he aint going to get back the ambition of when he was younger ! i know he’s only 21 but he caused problems with the defence and wasnt up to even elliott’s standards.

rivier just isnt going to make it nor does he look like he will ever make it (yes half a season gone and he’s hardly been here long but he’s taking up space and is innafective imo.

williamson needs to go ! he is avg as we all know and at his age he needs to be consistant as we can only have 1 experianced cb who is a liability and imo that vote goes to colo.

now the good news.

colback again is ever solid even though that was one of his worst games for us he still improved s massively.

cabella ! the lads adapting and something looks like it will happen when he gets the ball to the point where for 2 games now he’s been very consistant and deserves a place in the starting line up imo.

perez is getting better by the game just a shame he hasnt got a decent striker who can link with him up there.

janmaat again i thought was good esp in attacking sense as his crossing was good.

sammy is my last praise ! he had an ok game. lost a fair few balls but in fairness he never stopped trying and making something happen all the time instead of getting nowhere like others was.

i’m not gonna cry and we should have attacked them ! we played avg not poor but avg but the fact is there attack and defence was a lot better than ours and they deserved to win.

• almondrichie

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:02 PM

nope….just for self satisifaction….i know its hard but now and again we gotta imagine something big…..bring back glory days

• Ashton

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Dummet is a horrible leftback. He was responsible for 3 of their goals today. He should never start ahead of Haidara at LB but Pardew is an imbecile and will continue to start him their every game.

He is better at CB and light years ahead of Williamson. But again Pardumb is too stupid to notice this.

• Belfast

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM

How about auctioning your brain Skunki?

I’ll start the bidding of at £1

I think it would look great in my fish tank.

• sing in the corner

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM

toonbrother

those comments you made earlier in your exchange with tsunki… Wether you meant them or not changes nothing. You crossed the line and what you posted was a downright disgrace. Are you even aware of that?

• toonking

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:15 PM

toon KK

i guess the truth is some people act too much like glory supports and will never accept anything but a win, they do annoy me a lot but there will always be some glor hunters about just as like their will always be crimenals.

it’s good to see hat tleasy some people such as yourself like me know we will not win every game.

i had said earlier this week i would happily field a weakened team out because it’s that spurs game midweek that i really want us to go and win.

• toonbrother

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM

@sing in the corner
    What’s disgraceful is your spelling of the word “whether”
    are you even aware of the fact I couldn’t give a frog’s fat arse what you think?

• Rotonda heights

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:19 PM

welsh

you miss the point. if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    no need to bring goofy and willo back in after chelsea or to start cisse or revert to 4231.

all totally self-inflicted by a manager whose negative tendancies and fear always return to blight him when things occasionally go well.

• lukes26

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:22 PM

It’s past someone’s bedtime

• toonbrother

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:24 PM

@mister tuff i will do no such thing.
    I’m all for lively debate and welcome views contrary to mine
    Note i do not bash colocinni mindlessly.
    I have explained in great detail the problem(s) i have with the player on numerous occasions.
    Instead of responding to the valid points i raise about this rubbish player tsunki chose to get personal
    By all means ridicule my views but the minute you get personal all bets are off as far as I’m concerned
    Besides Tsunki is a big boy I’m sure he can handle himself despite his intellectual shortcomings

• sing in the corner

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Toonbrother
    Well if I wasn’t I am now…. Eloquently put I must say. I take it then that you think your choice of offensive and judgemental language there is ok. Which makes it not worth engaging in any dialogue with you.

• toonbrother

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:30 PM

buzz off dummy
    come back when you have something original to say

• Mister Tuff

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM

need to get the sackpardew poster dusted off.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Mister Tuff

Why, just because we lost to arsenal.

• mindcompressor

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I think every game where Gouffran is in first line-up we are loosing. I like this lad, especially for his first games for us, however now he is far, far beyond any form. I can’t see even bench for him or Williamson. I don’t know what are plans for Wednesday, but Colo-Dummett as CB pair was looking alright, more of that Dummett is not so good as LB, so I don’t know why he is changing what was working fine… I even can’t mention Giuufran – no creativity forward, no aggressive defence… Completely useless. Anyway, looking forward to see bright result on Wednesday. HOWAY THE LADS 🙂

• Sazzer

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM

This was a classic Pardew collapse. Not saying we would have won the game with a different selection but we might have played better football.

• Average_Contents

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I think him saying he got the team selection wrong that he wasn’t referring to gouffran as he kept him on after making two subs after half time. He obviously likes him as a second fullback because he runs lots.

He looked one of the most uninterested players I’ve ever seen. A forward being asked to defend all game, I’d be deflated too.

Well he’s reverted to type now hasn’t he. 4-2-3-1 with willo and goofy.I thought it’d take longer than this tbh. All hail the king.

• blacknwhite yorkshireman

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Same view as many tonight, disappointing result but not overly disheartened by the performance, thought we gave it a go in the second half and if we’d snatched a second who knows. Main gripes are:
    1. Williamson playing instead of Dummett at CB, should of been Dummett with Haidara at LB
    2. Tiote! Admittedly no Sissoko or Abeid so he pretty much had to play but he is so slack in possession, either a poor pass or a touch too many, not to mention clumsy in the tackle.
    3. I rate Cabella as a player from what I’ve seen and think he can offer a lot, but I wish he would settle down on the needless skills, does my head in when he could run and get the ball out of his feet or play someone in

On the plus side I thought Colback, Perez and Riviere had decent games, Riviere won a lot of headers when he came on compared to Cisse who seems to think he is being asked to nut an atomic bomb

• toon kk

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Mister Tuff
    we just beat Chelsea last week, we lost to an inform Arsenal tonight and you and several others on this blog seem to think either Pardew should be sacked or half the squad sold.

• wolfshead@toon

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:51 PM

a few people on here have reverted to type too take the simplistic view and blame the manager never mind the injuries and suspensions and having to field average players at best against arsenal at home its pardew cos hes a – insert expletive