Forgotten Player May Get Big Chance At Tottenham

Vurnon Anita has only made six appearances for Newcastle this season, and he was on the bench at Arsenal on Saturday.

Vurnon Anita +Tottenham

Vurnon Anita – could start the game at Tottenham

Vurnon seems to have gone down the pecking order with the arrival of Jack Colback, plus the good form of Mehdi Abeid, who has been preferred to Vurnon when the Algerian has been fit.

In fact Anita started the game at White Hart Lane in the league, but was taken off at half time, and in the second half we scored a couple of goals to get a great 2-1 win.

While Vurnon has not played much this season, he is an excellent professional and when there was a report in the local paper that he was complaining about his plight, he tweeted that was not the case, and he was supporting the side and simply doing his best.

Alan Pardew has questioned his own team selection on Saturday, and he will have looked at the video and seen where things didn’t work and it appears he may give Vurnon his chance at White Hart Lane on Wednesday night:

Alan Pardew thought Vurnon Anita could have made a difference on Saturday, and this is what the manager has said today:

“Maybe it was a day for Vurnon Anita to be really solid for us.”“But we tried to be ambitious and if that’s a fault we’ll have to accept that.”

“It’s a big week. We look forward to the quarter-final of the cup.” “It’s something that we need to win at this football club in terms of a trophy.

“So we will be up for that and then the derby, which is always interesting.”

Vurnon Anita like most Ajax Academy graduates is a very good technical player but for whatever reason he has never been able to nail down a starting place at Newcastle, since he joined us for £6.5M from Ajax over two years ago.

Most players who have come in for Newcastle over the last couple of months have done well, so we hope to see Vurnon Anita get a chance at White Hart Lane on Wednesday night and play well.

It would be great to get the win – and that would be a good set up for the game at home against Sunderland on Sunday – a game we must win.

Just think how we would feel if at the end of the Sunderland game we have won and we also in the semi-finals of the Capital One Cup.

Howay The Lads!!

You can follow us on our three social media sites below:

• Tsunki

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Uh oh I’ve hit the traffic – repost!

Well I’ve just read dulcinera’s revealing outbursts from last night. Evidently a bowl of loudmouth soup or two had a tremendous effect on loosening his tongue. Wow. Without being political, as I don’t believe there are any winners in international of sectarian conflict, his rationale that someone should be wished well for murdering someone else is jaw dropping. This is a football blog about our daft little first love club.

I hope he isn’t back anytime soon.

• pawl250

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Well I hope he plays Anita instead of Tiote, who has been absolutely garbage since his return from injury.

I just do not understand why he gets hype. The guy has potential when he first came, and if anything has not improved, but degraded himself since.

He likes spinning in circles, he very rarely passed an accurate ball on Saturday, and his shooting could arguably be described a rugby like.

I just think his a liability and have seen now with Abeid, and Sissoko we have better options than him.

Anita deserves a chance, hoping to see this on Wednesday. Saying that he will most likely play at right back given Janmaat is suspended.

Sammy has been awful in past two games too. I know we won against Chelsea but he was one of the worst players on the pitch.

—————— Alnwick
    Anita – STaylor – Coloccini – Haidara
    ———– Abeid —- Colback
    Perez ———– Sissoko ——- Cabella
    ——————– Cisse

Think that is our best team for Spurs.

• optimistic prime

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Tsunki

Didn’t see it, his posts early on did seem odd yesterday though.

• optimistic prime

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:26 PM

Pawl

Totally agree on Tiote, I’d start Dummet instead of Colo.

I responded to your post a cpl threads back if you haven’t seen it.

• Thump

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM

@Tsunki: Interesting how he went from beer to ISIS, though. Clearly a natural progression of conversation /s

• bills-son

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Tiote always takes 4/5 games to get back to his best form and when he does he is one of the best DM’s in the Prem.

If a fully fir Tiote, Sissoko and Colback get a run together they’ll be a match in CM for any team.

• Diggedydaws

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Lads, can we lay off the off topic stuff though please.
    It’s bad enough sometimes with certain folks way off on a tangent craic but when politics become the soup de jour I really cannit be arsed.
    It’s a large enough headache following the toon with out all the bells and whistles of late.

• Diggedydaws

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Bills-son, I agree about Tiote but I think his heads been turned and his heart isn’t in it any more for us.
    Abeid is where it’s at I reckon, it’d be a boon if he could start chipping in with the goals he was getting in Greece last season for us as well.

• Wayayman

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Whenever Sissoko doesnt play, Tiote tries to do two jobs in MF. He’s best when left to stop the oppo, on saturday he was trying to create instead of keeping it simple and passing to those who can actually go forward. All the happened was that he gave the ball away far, far too many times against a class MF who punished us with their movement off the ball.
    Our defence was overran because Tiote kept giving the ball away. Like I said, he’s a different player when Sissoko isn’t alongside him. Hopefully that will all be put right on Wednesday and Saturday when they both play.

• pawl250

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

O/Prime –

I work with an office full of Mackems and can now tell you after asking their opinion they would prefer to see us out of the cup ASAP. They did debate whether they would prefer winning, then hoping for us to lose in the next round.

I mean the question is purely debatable, and the idea of the “game” is you choose either a win against the Mackems or a win the League Cup.

For me the League Cup is all we can hope for in terms fo winning silver, that or the FA Cup.

I do not think we will be relegated, we are 5 wins from securing our place in the PL, and in contention for a top 10 finish. Another 3 games will hardly hinder us for that choice, if anything it may inspire the team, as it did Mackems last year.

I mean without a doubt, the whole winning in a row means nothing. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City probably hold numerous outrageous wins in a row against the majority of the league.

Sunderland is our main rivals yes, but its 3 points.

We could win, lose them both but the idea of the poll. was which would you prefer.

The logical choice for me is a shot at the League Cup. If we manage to get past Spurs, then we have Liverpool, Southampton and Chelsea. Other than Chelsea we have a decent chance of making the final.

And Chelsea as we have proved are not unbeatable. We should be going all out to win the League Cup, EL we can fob off with our youngsters next season.

OR potentially given we were not far off in our last outing, take a chance and attempt to enter the CL through that competition as it looks unlikely we will finish in top 4 unless we have a new chairman who invest hundreds of millions.

Chelsea, City, Arsenal and United normally occupy the top 4 then with hopes of an off season, like United last season you have likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Everton all pushing. In this season it looks to be Southampton and West Ham within a shout if anyone of the top 4 under perform.

I think we need to be realistic and say Sunderland is 3 points, abit of banter for a week or so. Bobby Charlton once said that “every game is normally forgotten within a few days, the odd game may take longer” and that is the truth.

Until the eve of our next game with Mackems no one cares about the previous result.

As for them winning us, its not different than any other team.

Bobby Charlton also said “a cup win is never forgotten”.

I would rather win a cup than win Mackems. Chances are they will not win the cup next year, much like we probably will not. So you have to take the chance.

The last time one of us did win the cup was 1973, I mean its 40+ years, its not common enough to say next year they MAY go out and win it. As the evidence shows, its alot harder.

Yet next year we MAY win the Mackems for revenge, as its plausible to assume we can win them more often than winning a cup.

Its why we need to cherish a quarter final, and go all out to get to semi final, then final.

As who knows the next time we have this chance.

• Wayayman

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Pawl, what’s with the ‘win’ thing mate? It’s taking away from your point, and it’s making out likeEnglish isn’t your first language. Nowt against that by the way, but you said you’re born and raised in Newcastle when the way you write sometimes looks like maybe you weren’t. You’re clearly an intelligent bloke as what you write is well thought out and well structured, but that ‘win the mackems’ thing just is odd and takes away from your posts.

• JamesToon

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

My team for spurs:
    4-1-4-1
    Alnwick
    Dummett-Taylor-Coloccini-Haidara
    Tiote
    Cabella-Sissoko-Anita-Roberts
    Riviere

4-3-3
    Alnwick
    Janmaat-Taylor-Coloccini-Haidara
    Sissoko-Abeid-Colback
    Aarons-Perez-Ameobi
    Best team for sunderland imo, pace, power, flair, hunger, gouffran, cisse and williamson just don’t fall into those catagories

• Jay K

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Areet lads.

Little fact seen on the net yesterday it had over the course ov this premier league weekend games tiote as a player completed the most passes this weekend. Not sure how true.

• JamesToon

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Abeid has been brilliant this season as have perez, aarons, and sissoko and colback they all simply have to start. Ameobi and Haidara link up very well down the left wing as well. Also we have cabella who can come and cause problems and links up well with Perez

• Diggedydaws

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Wey Pawl lets imagine we got to the final, I hope we would put on better performances than we did in the 2 F.A cup finals we got to.

I shouted my self hoarse at both em for zero net return!!

• optimistic prime

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Pawl

I want to win the cup as much as you, maybe my problem is I’m still living the past two years.

If we beat Spurs then lost against the mackems we’ll lose someone to injury or suspension which seems to happen every game ATM. Then we’d have another 2 cup games with potential for more injuries or suspensions with a already stretched squad.

With the yoyo form of last 2 years I just want points, if we had a fully fit squad and we’re doing well I’d be the same as you.
    I’m scared we’re biting off more than we can chew and could choke.

In a perfect world we’d win both and strengthen in jan, I hope that’s what happens!

I’m just thinking what’s best for the club the cup win would be amazing but if we dropped into the championship for a few years the gloss would be taken off.

• pawl250

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Wayayman

Sometimes I may spell incorrectly or miss words from sentences.

It is because I am at work I am flicking between screens and sometimes lose line of thought, or in some cases I am rushing to write the sentence.

I have to admit I do not proof read what I am about to post.

Yet for some odd reason I read back what I post after. Clearly a fault in my ways when I think about it, considering I read the post anyway I may aswell do it before I post to remove any errors.

Still my apologies for any errors in my post.

I am from South Shields mate which is the local area though, and my parents are from Jarrow and South Shields respectively. Very much in the local area and understand the rivalry between the clubs, as I am very much in a mixed area of support.

YET, my point if you want bragging rights, the cup is clearly the only choice going forward. Its the ULTIMATE bragging rights.

I mean, we can go all out against Spurs, lose. AND then go all out against Sunderland after. Yet if given the choice now which I prefer to win it would be going to the next round of cup, and hopefully on our way to win something in my lifetime!

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I reckon that Routledge is an upmarket version of Goufran. I moaned when he was sold still don’t get it same with Forster neither of them seem to be sick notes!.

The latest kiddies book for xmas is “Where’s Hatem” 🙂

• pawl250

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:06 PM

O/Prime

It would take an extremely run of bad form to drop into the relegation battle.

I mean looking at the table I can hand on heart, without my biased cap on say that more than 3 teams are more likely going to go down than us.

Leicester, QPR, Burnley, Sunderland, Villa, West Brom, Hull and Palace.

I would say we are a better team. Given we are 8 points away already. And given that we pick up more points than the above teams in the campaign so far…. It would be unlikely we would only drop an 8 point gap, but continue beyond it aswell. As the above teams will not win every game, every week. Its not plausible.

They may play Arsenal next week, and of course like every season its important to win teams below you. So we need to focus on picking up points and get what I suppose would be classed as “6 pointers” against those teams I mention above.

I am not worried about relegation. If anything as stated, I think a cup run would inspire the fans and the team.

We only need 5 wins in 21 games (after Sunderland game) to ensure we stay up.

Not to mention we can get multiple draws within those games opposed to draws i.e. 6 draws, 3 wins and 12 losses.

Its not unrealistic to say thats been more than cautious. Infact its arguably relegation form, but we have the points to do that.

• hibbit

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM

i don’t get this if you don’t live in the toon your not a supporter you are but the derby game is so much moreyou have to live it to understand ‘……… that area between the tyne and the wear is split between the two clubs we live drink work with each other the bragging rights are important that’s for sure

• thejokethatisnufc

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:07 PM

With regards to the Ben Arfa article i owe Mr Pardew an apology never agreed with the decision of letting Ben go but turns out he’s a moron confirmed by 3 manager’s.

• pawl250

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM

opposed to wins*

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I want us to win the mackems on Sunday and beat the cup in April.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Well I don’t know about some of you, but i think we will beat spurs on Wednesday.

• IrishGeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM

I would really like to see this team against the mackems:

Alnwick
    Janmaat-Saylor-Colo-Haidara
    Abeid-Colback
    Sissoko
    Aarons-Perez-Ameobi

Oh, if only we had obertan… I would bring on Cabella for Aarons, Cisse for Ameobi and then Riviere for Perez. When these subs have been made the formation would be 4-3-1-2

Alnwick
    Janmaat-Saylor-Colo-Haidara
    Abeid-Colback-Sissoko
    Cabella
    Riviere-Cisse

• Essex Geordie Bill

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Tiote could do well to follow the example of how Ki of Swansea plays. Just quietly labours away in midfield a real unsung hero for them.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Jail just the person i thought you said to me the other week to keep my snidey comments to myself, well to be honest boyo i have unlike yourself.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Essex Geordie Bill

I think those two players are different to be honest mate.

• pawl250

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Hibbit

I generally find that when you live in Newcastle you are surrounded more by Newcastle supporters, and I can equally say the same thing when living in Sunderland you are surrounded by more Sunderland supporters.

The hatred comes from the “townies”, more commonly known as people from the centres of each city, or its near outskirts.

Now me being from Shields I do not see the sense of hating Sunderland, or its fans. I work with them every day and some of my best friends support Sunderland.

I do find the winner of the match gets more “banter rights” for the short term future, as we play each other every 6 months, so its hardly for life.

Still I find the “townies” we seek for blood opposed to laughing those banter jokes off. AND it goes for both sets of fans, they all have the nasty followers who simply cannot take a joke.

End of the day its a game, and as a spectator I enjoy the occasion but beyond that it is a game. Anyone who sees it as anything more needs to get a reality check, as I breathe and bleed Newcastle and I feel its ups and downs, I mean I was near to tears when we relegated.

YET its a game, nothing more and ultimately their is more important things in life, like health, and family.

Its not like I play a 5 aside game on a weekend and because we lose I smash the opposing teams goalkeepers face in, its just ridiculous.

Any violence around football is not “cool” or because someone is “hard” it is just sad people, who have nothing better in their lives than to destroy other peoples.

Its pathetic, and I do get frustrated about the violence surrounding derby days, but I also reserve alot of sympathy for those causing it as they clearly have no love in their life lashing out like animals. Its abit sad really.

• IrishGeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Welsh

Oh, I see you have just come on and your already confronting a fellow poster. No football talk… Thought so!

• optimistic prime

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Pawl

I’d agree it looks unlikely we’ll go down, at the same time I think back not that far and it was 5wins in 25games.

They say lightening never strikes twice but not in Pardew or Ashley’s case.

Just have to wait see.

• pawl250

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:21 PM

O/Prime

The 5 wins would be enough to stay up, not to mention the draws within the remaining 20 games to add onto that 5 wins.

I think we have no excuse.

And you know what, if we do not go for it, the lack ambition is disgusting.

We are potentially 4 games from a cup win, anything less than full commitment now is a lack of fan service as far as I am concerned.

We should be going all out as it is the only thing we can actually win, that and the FA Cup.

And as stated they do not come about often enough. So try while you can.

• Diggedydaws

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Pawl,
    I live in Morpeth and to a lesser degree its the same with Geordies and mackems, some of my mates spit blood at the mention of the great unwashed and the Ellington mackems supporters ( which there are quite a few) are just as vocal in their defense of 5under1and.
    I reckon a loss on weds and win on sunday.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM

29IrishGeordie9

Not that it’s got anything to do with you but it’s a comment the muppet made this morning as for not talking football look at the comments i just made is that alright with you my little leprechaun.

• welshgeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:29 PM

To many people on here chucks their toys out of the pram always moaning in wonder not many people come on here.

• optimistic prime

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Pawl

I agree we should be going for it, I think Pardew will, I just can’t see Ashley backing him by strengthening the squad.

Hope to be proved wrong.

• IrishGeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Welsh

Oh yeah, you talk about football loads. Y’know, those 1 line responses and pointless contributions you make. As for the Leprechaun comment, just shows how childish you are, I could stoop down to your level by saying you f**k sheep but whats the point ? I take it your just back from school.

• hibbit

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM

pawl it’s 2 years since we beat then and the way we are going it could be another 2 till we win again and thats rubbish about sand dancers i worked in palmers yard and after derby games the banter was great…………….. WHO MENTIONED VOIENCE your talking about a few from both clubs.

• optimistic prime

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Wesh

Your right Irishgeordie does have your number!

• IrishGeordie9

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Op

Meaning what exactly ? Just curious.